What's new

One Child Policy of China and lessons for South Asian nations

Importing labors won't hurt a nation if it uses wisely. Look at U.S., it imports all types of labors from the world and U.S. keeps growing all those years.

we need a population that is fit for the size of china's territory. I do not think China need 1.4 billion population and I think half of them is already a lot as well.

One child policy has its own disadvantage too. It has made its effect on Chinese growth no doubt but it's high time China should abandon that policy. In coming decades China will face the problems of thining work force and they will have to import the Labours which itself is a problem than a solution. Average population age will cause many more problems in all sectors.

Blockade of oil imports easily applies to china.:lol:

That's fine, we can ration oil since we only import 60%. We can ban private automobiles if needed. Good luck rationing 10% of the original food to feed 90% of the population.

Importing labors won't hurt a nation if it uses wisely. Look at U.S., it imports all types of labors from the world and U.S. keeps growing all those years.

we need a population that is fit for the size of china's territory. I do not think China need 1.4 billion population and I think half of them is already a lot as well.

US has much more resources per capita. 1 billion is a good size for China otherwise our population density would drop too low. Our effective population density is the same as Germany and the real population density is 1/3 that.

Well, we have food independence
Really? Really Really Really???

I'm wondering what would happen to overpopulated countries like South Korea when net food exports peak, as US population grows and as farmland is eroded away?
Korean government owns an agricultural product trading company in the US, whose mission is to contract farm crops with US farmers and ship the resulting crops back to Korea. Russia is also willing to lease farm land.

Or when a much more powerful country gets annoyed and just blockades food and oil imports?
What powerful country are you talking about?

That's fine, we can ration oil since we only import 60%.
China cannot ration gasoline and diesel fuels; doing so would basically put a stop to Chinese economy which needs billions of barrels of oil to run.

We can ban private automobiles if needed.
And destroy the auto industry in China. Foreigners will survive the nuclear winter and come back when the sun shines, but the entire Chinese auto companies would have been wiped out by then.

Good luck rationing 10% of the original food to feed 90% of the population.
The shipping line will be open at all times.

china's birth control policy is the cruel, thrasymachian justice of the born over the unborn!!!

but since i am among the born, why should i care~ha~ha~

seriously, though, demographic theories grew so rapidly in modern times not because moderns found a new religious or moral angle to look at this issue as an issue of justice but because the old view of a bigger population favoriing national security in a subsistence economy became obsolete in europe, and interstate rivalry dictates a more modern, more rationalized population theory that serves neither the born nor the unborn but the security of the state. as long as islamic states see the survival of their state form as pivotal to their religion, i believe they will get on board with birth control sooner or later.

The problem with one child policy is the way it is enforced is often inhumane.What if a girl suffers some form of sexual assault/rape after she has had her first child?Force her to abort the child? I'm sure we have heard enough horror stories about abortion polices.

The only humane way to enforce it seems to be awareness. Forced sterilization can be done after the first child but this is also something inhumane..

Personally i think poor countries like india/pakistan should not go for one child policy but rather create awareness and increase education.

The problem with one child policy is the way it is enforced is often inhumane.What if a girl suffers some form of sexual assault/rape after she has had her first child?Force her to abort the child? I'm sure we have heard enough horror stories about abortion polices.

The only humane way to enforce it seems to be awareness. Forced sterilization can be done after the first child but this is also something inhumane..

Personally i think poor countries like india/pakistan should not go for one child policy but rather create awareness and increase education.

i am not sure i understand: if a woman already has a child and was then raped and impregnated, would there not be TWO solid reasons to do abortion? isn't rape/incest normally an argument in favor of abortion? i am sure we have heard more horror and more horrible stories about women who couldn't abort because of religious, doctrinaire opposition to abortion even after rape. if the fetus is killed, it is a one-time thing. if it is born to this world, it is hanged above your head for the rest of the mother's life.

but i am not here to engage in silly moral debates that only retarded american rednecks are conversant in. demographic theories were never about humaneness and human dignity to begin with - it is the dignity of the state that gave birth to modern, state-mandated, birth control regime.

i am not sure i understand: if a woman already has a child and was then raped and impregnated, would there not be TWO solid reasons to do abortion?
It's upto the woman to decide if she should abort.

It's not a "one child policy" though. Otherwise I wouldn't have cousins or have friends with brothers and sisters. The policy itself is very complex and has many incentives, penalties, circumstances, and has economists, risk analysts, sociologists, psychologists, doctors and statisticians looking over every detail to optimize its effects.

Russia should open up more of its lands for immigration. After all, Russia not only has one of the lowest population densities on earth, its population was decreasing due to native Russians moving away and dying to gang violence and vodka.

Oh, Chinese posters may not understand that many women outside of China do keep the child conceived as the result of a rape of their own free will.

It's upto the woman to decide if she should abort.

as i said, i won't be dragged into the silly moral debate that only retarded american liberals and retarded american conservatives would have.

and it is not up to the woman. nothing is up to a woman - or a korean. to say otherwise is blatant revisionism of the world's demographic/diplomatic/military history

Oh, Chinese posters may not understand that many women outside of China do keep the child conceived as the result of a rape of their own free will.

chinese need to look no farther than the korean peninsular to notice this...

but i again, i can only speak of diplomatic-military history in the guise of demographic history; my professional training only goes that far. in other words, i can only speak of the demographic history of major eurasian powers. women and koreans are properly excluded from this discussion.

Non-population-related benefits

Impact on health care

It is reported that the focus of China on population control helps provide a better health service for women and a reduction in the risks of death and injury associated with pregnancy. At family planning offices, women receive free contraception and pre-natal classes.

Increased savings rate

The individual savings rate has increased since the one-child policy was introduced. This has been partially attributed to the policy in two respects. First, the average Chinese household expends fewer resources, both in terms of time and money, on children, which gives many Chinese more money with which to invest. Second, since young Chinese can no longer rely on children to care for them in their old age, there is an impetus to save money for the future.[42]

Economic growth

The original intent of the one-child policy was economic, to reduce the demand of natural resources, maintaining a steady labor rate, reducing unemployment caused from surplus labor, and reducing the rate of exploitation.[43][44] The CPC's justification for this policy was based on their support of Mao Zedong's supposedly Marxist theory of population growth, though Marx was actually witheringly critical of Malthusianism.[44][45]

One-child policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consequences of Rapid Population Growth

The growth in human population around the world affects all people through its impacts on the economy, social and environment sectors. Rapid human population growth has a variety of consequences which in this essay it would be separated becoming micro and macro levels consequences. The micro level consequences in this context are referred to individual and family things while the macro level consequences are referred to regional, national and global things instead.

At the micro level, rapid population growth has delivered to unmet need which significantly threat child and maternal health and family welfare (United Nations Population Information Network / POPIN website). If the number of family member increases while the family income still in low rate (poor family) and can not cover the family needs, so then children may be affected by micronutrient deficiencies and easily attacked by diseases which also have a detrimental effect on growth and development. Furthermore, most maternal deaths are due to unsafe practices in terminating pregnancies, a lack of readily available services for high-risk pregnancies, and women having too many children or having them too early and too late in life (World Population Balance website). On the other hand, lower fertility levels resulting in smaller families were thought to benefit both parents and their children directly, at least the wife has more chance as an employment to support family welfare (United Nations Population Information Network / POPIN website).

At the macro level, rapid population growth has delivered a number of consequences such as environmental threats, poverty, scarcities of food and fresh water and international security threat.

Environmental Threats

Rapid population growth will emerge the expansion of human activity. The expansion of human activity will cause the destruction of forest and the loss of biological diversity which may lead to instability of ecological systems and reducing ability of the ecosystem to combat global warming. As reality, the population growth is following by increasing of water pollution, erosion of hillsides and silting of rivers, increasing of greenhouse gases, rising sea levels, growing weather severity, disruption of agriculture, and increase the energy and resources consumption (Population Media Center website).

Poverty

Rapid population growth aggravates poverty in developing countries by producing a high ratio of dependent children for each working adult. This leads to a relatively high percentage of income being spent on immediate survival needs of food, housing, and clothing, leaving little money for purchase of elective goods or for investment in the economy, education, government services, or infrastructure. Lack of available capital continues to frustrate the attempts of many developing countries to expand their economies and reduce poverty. Only about 20 percent of the current world’s population has a generally adequate standard of living. The other 80 percent live in conditions ranging from mild deprivation to severe deficiency. This imbalance is likely to get worse, as more than 90 percent of future population growth is projected for the less developed countries ( Population Media Center website)(see Figure 1)

pove.JPG

Scarcities of Food and Fresh Water

Productive agricultural systems have contributed to economic progress in many countries, both developed and less developed. The Green Revolution of the 1970s enabled some developing countries to become net exporters of food. Yet, global population growth during and since the Green Revolution is continuing to consume more and more of the expanding food base, leading to a decline in per capita availability of cereal grains on a global basis over the last 15 years.

The world’s agricultural systems rely substantially on increasing use of fertilizers. But now, the world’s farmers are witnessing signs of a declining response curve, where the use of additional fertilizer yields little additional food product. At the same time, fertilizers and intensive cropping lower the quality of soil. These factors will more and more limit the possibilities of raising food production substantially and will, at a minimum, boost relative food prices and resulting hunger for many. So will the mounting resistance of pests to insecticides, which are used increasingly by the world’s farmers. On a global basis, 37 percent of food and fiber crops are now lost to pests. At the same time, nitrogen-based fertilizers are yielding nitrous oxide, which adds to the greenhouse effect of the carbon dioxide humans produce.

At the same time, shortages of water are at a crisis point in many countries. At least 400 million people live in regions with severe water shortages. By the year 2050, it is projected to be approximately two billion. Water tables on every continent are falling, as water is pumped out at far greater rates than rainwater can replenish in order to provide irrigation for agriculture. "India, for example, is pumping out its underground aquifers at twice the rate of natural replenishment." Humans are already using half of the globe’s products of photosynthesis and over half of all accessible fresh water. Long before human demand doubles again, the limits of the ecosystem’s ability to support people will become dramatically evident (Population Media Center website).

Threats to International SecurityAs mentioned earlier, population growth is a major contributor to economic stagnation through its depressing effect on capital formation. With growing numbers of young people attempting to enter the labor force, many developing countries have extraordinarily high levels of unemployment. Often high rates of unemployment give rise to severe political instability, which ultimately threatens national and international security. Moreover, the combination of poverty and violence is adding rapidly to the number of refugees seeking to move into more stable and prosperous areas. Growth of refugee and migrant populations are contributing to political instability and economic dislocation in many countries. Intelligence agencies in the U.S. and elsewhere have long recognized the implications of population growth for international security ( Population Media Center website) (see Figure 2)

rapid.JPG

Consequences of Rapid Population Growth « Indonesians Resonance

Ḥashshāshīn;2962175 said:
One child is bit too extreme. 3 children maximum will be better.

one-child sounds extreme because not even china does this: the average fertility is about 1.6 and we have kept this figure at a long term sustainable level. for those who make accusations against china, let me ask you: are the fertility figures in your country sustainable in the long run? if not, aren't your backward countries more radical and reckless in your population policies?

Consequences of Rapid Population Growth

The growth in human population around the world affects all people through its impacts on the economy, social and environment sectors. Rapid human population growth has a variety of consequences which in this essay it would be separated becoming micro and macro levels consequences. The micro level consequences in this context are referred to individual and family things while the macro level consequences are referred to regional, national and global things instead.

At the micro level, rapid population growth has delivered to unmet need which significantly threat child and maternal health and family welfare (United Nations Population Information Network / POPIN website). If the number of family member increases while the family income still in low rate (poor family) and can not cover the family needs, so then children may be affected by micronutrient deficiencies and easily attacked by diseases which also have a detrimental effect on growth and development. Furthermore, most maternal deaths are due to unsafe practices in terminating pregnancies, a lack of readily available services for high-risk pregnancies, and women having too many children or having them too early and too late in life (World Population Balance website). On the other hand, lower fertility levels resulting in smaller families were thought to benefit both parents and their children directly, at least the wife has more chance as an employment to support family welfare (United Nations Population Information Network / POPIN website).

At the macro level, rapid population growth has delivered a number of consequences such as environmental threats, poverty, scarcities of food and fresh water and international security threat.

Environmental Threats

Rapid population growth will emerge the expansion of human activity. The expansion of human activity will cause the destruction of forest and the loss of biological diversity which may lead to instability of ecological systems and reducing ability of the ecosystem to combat global warming. As reality, the population growth is following by increasing of water pollution, erosion of hillsides and silting of rivers, increasing of greenhouse gases, rising sea levels, growing weather severity, disruption of agriculture, and increase the energy and resources consumption (Population Media Center website).

Poverty

Rapid population growth aggravates poverty in developing countries by producing a high ratio of dependent children for each working adult. This leads to a relatively high percentage of income being spent on immediate survival needs of food, housing, and clothing, leaving little money for purchase of elective goods or for investment in the economy, education, government services, or infrastructure. Lack of available capital continues to frustrate the attempts of many developing countries to expand their economies and reduce poverty. Only about 20 percent of the current world’s population has a generally adequate standard of living. The other 80 percent live in conditions ranging from mild deprivation to severe deficiency. This imbalance is likely to get worse, as more than 90 percent of future population growth is projected for the less developed countries ( Population Media Center website)(see Figure 1)

pove.JPG

Scarcities of Food and Fresh Water

Productive agricultural systems have contributed to economic progress in many countries, both developed and less developed. The Green Revolution of the 1970s enabled some developing countries to become net exporters of food. Yet, global population growth during and since the Green Revolution is continuing to consume more and more of the expanding food base, leading to a decline in per capita availability of cereal grains on a global basis over the last 15 years.

The world’s agricultural systems rely substantially on increasing use of fertilizers. But now, the world’s farmers are witnessing signs of a declining response curve, where the use of additional fertilizer yields little additional food product. At the same time, fertilizers and intensive cropping lower the quality of soil. These factors will more and more limit the possibilities of raising food production substantially and will, at a minimum, boost relative food prices and resulting hunger for many. So will the mounting resistance of pests to insecticides, which are used increasingly by the world’s farmers. On a global basis, 37 percent of food and fiber crops are now lost to pests. At the same time, nitrogen-based fertilizers are yielding nitrous oxide, which adds to the greenhouse effect of the carbon dioxide humans produce.

At the same time, shortages of water are at a crisis point in many countries. At least 400 million people live in regions with severe water shortages. By the year 2050, it is projected to be approximately two billion. Water tables on every continent are falling, as water is pumped out at far greater rates than rainwater can replenish in order to provide irrigation for agriculture. "India, for example, is pumping out its underground aquifers at twice the rate of natural replenishment." Humans are already using half of the globe’s products of photosynthesis and over half of all accessible fresh water. Long before human demand doubles again, the limits of the ecosystem’s ability to support people will become dramatically evident (Population Media Center website).

Threats to International SecurityAs mentioned earlier, population growth is a major contributor to economic stagnation through its depressing effect on capital formation. With growing numbers of young people attempting to enter the labor force, many developing countries have extraordinarily high levels of unemployment. Often high rates of unemployment give rise to severe political instability, which ultimately threatens national and international security. Moreover, the combination of poverty and violence is adding rapidly to the number of refugees seeking to move into more stable and prosperous areas. Growth of refugee and migrant populations are contributing to political instability and economic dislocation in many countries. Intelligence agencies in the U.S. and elsewhere have long recognized the implications of population growth for international security ( Population Media Center website) (see Figure 2)

rapid.JPG

Consequences of Rapid Population Growth « Indonesians Resonance

High population density is greatest risk factor for water-linked diseases

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Water-associated infectious disease outbreaks are more likely to occur in areas where a region’s population density is growing, according to a new global analysis of economic and environmental conditions that influence the risk for these outbreaks.

Ohio State University scientists constructed a massive database containing information about 1,428 water-associated disease outbreaks that were reported between 1991 and 2008 around the world. By combining outbreak records with data on a variety of socio-environmental factors known about the affected regions, the researchers developed a model that can be used to predict risks for water-associated disease outbreaks anywhere in the world.

The research appears in PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, a journal published by the Public Library of Science.

There are five different categories of water-associated diseases, depending on the role water plays in the disease transmission process. Population density was a risk factor for all types of these diseases. Prolonged and excessive heat was shown to be a driver of water-related diseases that are transmitted to people by insect bites.

The study shows that clusters of reported outbreaks tended to occur in Western Europe, Central Africa, Northern India and Southeast Asia. These regions, as well as Latin America and eastern Brazil, were targeted as potential “hot spots” at highest risk for future water-associated disease outbreaks ranging from E. coli-related diarrhea to dengue fever.

World health experts conservatively estimate that 4 percent of deaths – almost 2 million annually – and 5.7 percent of illnesses around the world are caused by infectious diseases related to unsafe water and sanitation and hygiene problems. Getting a better handle on the socio-environmental factors that affect the risks for water-associated disease outbreaks is a first step toward guiding policymakers as they prioritize the distribution of health resources around the world, the researchers say.

“We know water is essential to life, but we also know that water is a vehicle that can carry hazards. If we understand the risk factors of disease better, we can inform policy decisions because resources are limited. Second, we can provide an early warning to certain places that are undergoing global environmental change because our model shows how those changes affect outbreak risks,” said Song Liang, senior author of the study and an assistant professor of environmental health sciences at Ohio State.

“We’re not going to address all of the questions in one study, but we hope to set the stage for studies that can move toward that goal.”

Most information on water-associated pathogens and infectious diseases in the Ohio State database came from the Global Infectious Disease and Epidemiology Network (GIDEON), a web-based database containing details on outbreaks for 337 recognized infectious diseases in 231 countries and regions. Liang and colleagues also collected extensive data from journal articles and health organization publications to supplement the GIDEON information.

Among the information included in the Ohio State database were disease-causing agents,
such as bacteria or viruses, and their biological characteristics; water’s role in disease transmission; disease transmission routes; and details about whether the recorded outbreak represented an emergence or re-emergence of a water-associated disease for a given region. These details were crossed with a socio-environmental database that contained data on population density, global average accumulated temperature, surface area of water bodies, average annual rainfall and per-capita gross domestic product.

Each disease tracked in the database was classified into one of five categories:

• water-borne (such as typhoid and cholera), caused by microorganisms that enter water through fecal contamination and cause infection when humans consume contaminated water. A subset of these, called “water-carried” diseases, result from accidental ingestion of contaminated water in a recreational setting;

• water-based (such as schistosomiasis), caused by parasites that spend part of their life in water;

• water-related (such as malaria and trypanosomiasis), which need water for breeding of insects that act as vectors in transmitting disease to humans;

• water-washed, caused by poor personal or domestic hygiene because no clean water is available; and

• water-dispersed (such as Legionella), caused by infectious agents that thrive in water and enter the body through the respiratory tract.

Among the reported outbreaks, 70.9 percent were water-borne diseases, 2.9 percent water-based, 12.2 percent water-related, 6.8 percent water-washed, and 7.3 percent water-dispersed. Almost half were caused by bacteria, with nearly 40 percent caused by viruses and the rest by parasites.

The analysis also showed that fewer water-washed diseases occurred in places with larger bodies of surface water, and that areas with higher average annual rainfall had fewer outbreaks of water-borne and water-related diseases.

“No single factor can explain this distribution,” Liang said. “And for different categories of diseases, the impact of those factors varies. This is the first time we’ve had large-scale proof of that."

“At this point, we’ve identified all of the reported outbreaks, but not every socio-environmental factor that influenced them.”

The model predicts that Western Europe, Central Africa and Northern India are at higher risk for water-borne diseases, especially E. coli diarrhea, and that the risk in Europe is primarily driven by water-carried diseases that tend to occur in recreational areas. Western Europe, North Africa and Latin America tend to be at higher risk for water-washed diseases, particularly viral conjunctivitis. Risks associated with water-based diseases, especially schistosomiasis, were highest in east Brazil, Northwest and Central Africa and southeast of China.

Even with all of the data available, the researchers suggest that their database and map represent just a fraction of the actual outbreaks that have occurred because the under-reporting of these diseases is a common problem, especially in the developing world.

They also were surprised to find that economic status did not appear to influence risk for water-associated disease outbreaks, at least on a global scale. “When we look specifically at an area on a smaller scale, we might find something different,” Liang said.

Liang and colleagues already have begun to take a closer look at two regions, Africa and Asia, to examine environmental and economic issues that are most likely to influence risks for water-associated infectious disease outbreaks on those continents.

This work is supported in part by the National Institutes of Health and by two Ohio State University programs: Public Health Preparedness for Infectious Diseases and Climate, Water and Carbon.

Co-authors, all from Ohio State, include first author Kun Yang and Bo Lu of the College of Public Health (Yang is now with the Jiangsu Institute of Parasitic Diseases in China); Jeffrey LeJeune of the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center and the College of Veterinary Medicine; and Doug Alsdorf and C.K. Shum of the School of Earth Sciences.

High population density is greatest risk factor for water-linked diseases | College of Public Health

Back
Top Bottom