What's new

Oman allows US military to use its two ports - Salalah & Duqm

:pakistan::china:

Rest Dekh Lein ge

Type-054AP-Radio-Pakistan-692x360.jpg

How many oversea bases US regime has now, 400 +?

MUSCAT: Oman on Sunday said it had signed an agreement with the United States that would allow American ships and warplanes to take advantage of ports and airports.

The state-run Oman News Agency said the “framework agreement” was aimed at bolstering “Omani-American military relations” in a report on its English-language website.“It will allow the US forces to take advantage from the facilities offered at some of the Sultanate’s ports and airports during visits of the US military vessels and aircrafts, particularly in the port of Duqm,” it said.

Duqm port is located in southern Oman on the Arabian Sea and around 500 kilometres (310 miles) from the Strait of Hormuz.At the mouth of the Gulf, the strait is crucial to global energy supplies, with about a third of the world’s seaborne oil passing through it every day. Shiite Iran has repeatedly threatened to block the strait due to tensions with Sunni-ruled Gulf nations, including its main regional rival Saudi Arabia.

With an eye on Iran, U.S. clinches strategic port deal with Oman

The U.S. embassy in Oman said in a statement that the agreement governed U.S. access to facilities and ports in Duqm as well as in Salalah and “reaffirms the commitment of both countries to promoting mutual security goals.”

The accord is viewed through an economic prism by Oman, which wants to develop Duqm while preserving its Switzerland-like neutral role in Middle Eastern politics and diplomacy.

But it comes as the United States grows increasingly concerned about Iran’s expanding missile programs, which have improved in recent years despite sanctions and diplomatic pressure by the United States.

A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the deal was significant by improving access to ports that connect to a network of roads to the broader region, giving the U.S. military great resiliency in a crisis.

“We used to operate on the assumption that we could just steam into the Gulf,” one U.S. official said, adding, however, that “the quality and quantity of Iranian weapons raises concerns.”

Tehran has in the past threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, a major oil shipping route at the mouth of the Gulf, in retaliation for any hostile U.S. action, including attempts to halt Iranian oil exports through sanctions.

Still, the U.S. official noted that the agreement would expand U.S. military options in the region for any kind of crisis.

Duqm is ideal port for large ships. It is even big enough to turn around an aircraft carrier, a second official said.

“The port itself is very attractive and the geostrategic location is very attractive, again being outside the Strait of Hormuz,” the official said, adding that negotiations began under the Obama administration.

COMPETITION WITH CHINA
For Oman, the deal will further advance its efforts to transform Duqm, once just a fishing village 550 km (345 miles) south of capital Muscat, into a key Middle East industrial and port center, as its diversifies its economy beyond oil and gas exports.

The deal could also better position the United States in the region for what has become a global competition with China for influence.

Chinese firms once aimed to invest up to $10.7 billion in the Duqm project, a massive injection of capital into Oman, in what was expected to be a commercial, not military, arrangement.

“It looks to me like the Chinese relationship here isn’t as big as it appeared it was going to be a couple of years ago,” the second official said.

“There’s a section of the Duqm industrial zone that’s been set aside for the Chinese ... and as far as I can tell so far they’ve done just about nothing.”

Still, China has in the past shown no qualms about rubbing up against U.S. military facilities.

In 2017, the African nation of Djibouti, positioned at another geostrategic choke-point, the strait of Bab al-Mandeb, became home to China’s first overseas military base. The U.S. military already had a base located just miles away, which has been crucial for operations against Islamic State, al Qaeda and other militant groups.

View attachment 549186

I think this is directly targeting Pakistan.
India also has rights to use this port.

@The Eagle @Windjammer @Horus @Thorough Pro @Dazzler

@Khafee @HRK

There is a nexus of USA-India-Israel against Pakistan. This base will also be used by Israel and India against Pakistan. Israel's PM Netanyahu visit to Oman back in November is also connected to this. They want to encircle Pakistan and they also want to sabotage CPEC.

Let them try. It will cost them everything if they try. They shouldn’t forget the lessons of Afghanistan.

Looks like oman is in need of some freedom markhor style.

Oman has plenty of baloch element within its military IIRC.

Congrats to US military for their new base to spend more money and help with Somali pirates situation in area. Oman will certainly get some free goodies for their own needs

Pakistan thanks Exon Mobile for their recent oil search near Karachi
The oil exploration has been a very important milestone for Pakistan
Some positive news is expected in that area in weeks to come.

Provided , Pakistan Navy's testing is not disrupted I don't think their is an issue

Less piracy means , more safety for Chinese ships at Gawadar port till our new Type 054 arrive from China

Type-054-Jiangkai-Wenzhou-526-b.jpg
I think the purpose of this move is to break the continuous military influence of China that is from Kashghar to Afriqa. This will checkmate Chinese presence in Arabian sea.
We must look deep and should have a closer look at recent Indian sea based intrusions.
Another aspect might me handling of Iranian navy, in case of an attack on Iran. These ports will ensure that Iran is not building any naval power anytime soon.
Third purpose might be just for reconnaissance on Chinese goods being transported.
By the time, situation will become more clear.

All lot of funding has moved to Baloch militants from this country, I am a witness to it......Balochis (but Omani nationals) have families back in balochistan, some of them hate Pakistan Military and have provided financial aid to Baloch militants....

An Omani was in the infantry school with my father back in his days as a young LT. He found out that he was ethnic baloch and could speak urdu.

We could see further support for BLA e.t.c from this side.

It is time that the govt. increase budgetary allocation for navy in order to cover the balochistan in order to counter it and also get some additional SIGINT assets to cover that side as well (if not being done already). Joint ops with the chinese to cover our lack of additional assets.

Oman is the new puppet in the anti-Pakistan game.

They have lost Afghanistan and gained another base to launch operations.

Pakistan needs to step up our vigilance from this side.

This is very bad for previously neutral Oman and will end in disaster for them.

View attachment 549204

They maybe insignificant.
Their ports will not be.
The proximity of these ports wrt to Gwadar is very important.

Duqm is around 4 NMs from Gwadar
Salalah is 620 NM
View attachment 549203

Remember how the Americans openly bragged about CPEC becoming a target for attacks.

I assume we can hand out the same threats. If not openly we can do so covertly.

Especially if this base is meant to destabilize Pakistan and CPEC.

As far as I am concerned, let the games begin.

Last edited:
Americans don't need permission to operate from Oman - - - - - - I wonder so do Indians?

These ports could also be used to target Iran. But you won't see any any Arian complaining about it may be Oman don't give a - - - - - - while we do?

Saudi should go ahead and annex this tiny nuisance

All lot of funding has moved to Baloch militants from this country, I am a witness to it......Balochis (but Omani nationals) have families back in balochistan, some of them hate Pakistan Military and have provided financial aid to Baloch militants....

All the more reason to keep a good eye on Oman.

I don't know much about Oman, but whatever I hear or read about it sounds not very promising. At least from Pakistan's perspective.

Oman is the new puppet in the anti-Pakistan game.

They have lost Afghanistan and gained another base to launch operations.

Pakistan needs to step up our vigilance from this side.

This is very bad for previously neutral Oman and will end in disaster for them.

Gwadar is obviously sour grapes for Oman.

An Omani was in the infantry school with my father back in his days as a young LT. He found out that he was ethnic baloch and could speak urdu.

We could see further support for BLA e.t.c from this side.

It is time that the govt. increase budgetary allocation for navy in order to cover the balochistan in order to counter it and also get some additional SIGINT assets to cover that side as well (if not being done already). Joint ops with the chinese to cover our lack of additional assets.

What is the reason that Oman provides support for BLA? As far as I know, Oman and Pakistan have historically never had any conflicts. Our relations are pretty neutral and quite low key.

All the more reason to keep a good eye on Oman.

I don't know much about Oman, but whatever I hear or read about it sounds not very promising. At least from Pakistan's perspective.

Gwadar is obviously sour grapes for Oman.
Generally speaking and comparing Omanis with other GCC nationals, they are very humble and polite, the natives or the Bedouins or the Zanzibari migrants are polite when dealing with any expats, they are less extremist in sect beliefs.
The problem is with Balochis, when they moved to Oman following the sale of Gwadar, they abandoned their wealth & land, after all these years, they did not make much for themselves in Oman either. Hence they hold grudge against Pakistan & specifically against the Military.

Back
Top Bottom