What's new

Olympic losers: Why is India so bad at sport?

I can tell this to you from my own experience in all these years that it's Not just the funds and the govt who is responsible for such a bad condition of sports in India but the biggest reason is culture. From the early days of our life we are asked to avoid sports and concentrate only on sport. Even if you are really good in a particular sports than also parents used to be more concerned about studies of their kids.

Old saying here that my mom used to tell me "padhogey likhogey tou banogey Navaab, khelogey kudougey tou banogey kharab"

Buy here I would like to say the the mentality is chAnging now and I am quites positive the our future is bright interns of sport's

Okay man, Sri Lankans look like Middle Easterners.:rofl:

This guy is 100% Singhalese

latest

What kind of public facilities you have in Wuhan?
You mean on the river bank park?
That's part of the citizen sport infrastructure scheme, one point is building new, the other point is opening school facilities to the public.

We have just opened a new section along Han River in May, a very small section (3km), but we have installed all the basic faculties there. 3km long park includes 5 exercising squares, 12 basketball courts, 8 five-a-side football playgrounds, 6 tennis courts, 4 tennis courts for children and 4 gate ball courts. And this new section displays 14 Olympics medalists who were born in this district.
W020150430337954295647.jpg

The main park along the main river is super long....as long as the city stretches..
Of course, there are much more facilities including bikeway, swimming pools, children's playground, etc.
20121224092339307.jpg

2011120954690685.jpg
thumb.jpg

Last edited:
That's part of the citizen park scheme, one point is building new, the other point is opening school facilities to the public.

We have just opened a new section along Han River in May, a very small section (3km), but we have installed all the basic faculties there. 3km long park includes 5 exercising squares, 12 basketball courts, 8 five-a-side football playgrounds, 6 tennis courts, 4 tennis courts for children and 4 gate ball courts. And this new section displays 14 Olympics medalists who were born in this district.
View attachment 322982

The main park along the main river is super long....as long as the city stretches..
Of course, there are much more facilities including bikeway, swimming pools, children's playground, etc.
View attachment 322983
View attachment 322986 View attachment 322987

Very impressive.. Are these facilities free for the public ?

Very impressive.. Are these facilities free for the public ?
Almost free.
But tennis courts and swimming pools charge some, but much lower than the regular clubs.

Those who do not live by the river or parks, can choose the faculties in schools, including elementary schools, middle schools and colleges.

@Gibbs
This playground is the nearest one from my home, within a local medical college.
Basketball and running facilities are free.
There is a stadium, providing very cheap courts of badminton, volleyball and gym.
My parents go there every night for jogging and "stretching", sometimes they play badminton. I used to play tennis there, they have 15+ courts, only 8 yuan per hour.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
Almost free.
But tennis courts and swimming pools charge some, but much lower than the regular clubs.

Nice mate.. With growing disposable income of majority of Chinese people they have more to spend on recreation, Already a sporting heavy weight in the world one can imagine it's place a decade down the line.. Incredible

That's part of the citizen park scheme, one point is building new, the other point is opening school facilities to the public.

View attachment 322982

View attachment 322983
View attachment 322986 View attachment 322987
14 Olympic medalist from this? Malaysia only 2.

I agree genes are not an excuse for poor performance of South Asians but it is a considerable factor that they need to face in gamut of other issues..

Ofcause there are exceptions to the rule in every nation as you rightly point out, Also with globalization, growing economies with greater access to nutrition and recources, training methods etc.. The gap in physicality between the global north and south will decrease

Agreed, the West had turned sports into a whole art. Just look at cricket as well. Whilst our fatties are known for being the worst fielders in international cricket, only sheer individual skill and talent ensures that we are able to compete at the top level. If our players took diet control and exercise as seriously as the Australians and South Africans we could easily dominate world cricket.

Nice mate.. With growing disposable income of majority of Chinese people they have more to spend on recreation, Already a sporting heavy weight in the world one can imagine it's place a decade down the line.. Incredible
The performance of sport stars can really inspire regular people to join sports.
Do you know Li Na, who has won French Open and Australia Open in your country?
She is from where I am from. She has inspired thousands of people in Wuhan to learn to play tennis, including me.
Now, tennis is a very affordable sport in Wuhan...
She is also the promotor of Wuhan Open, part of the Premier 5 tournaments on the WTA Tour
屏幕快照 2016-08-03 21.12.55.png
屏幕快照 2016-08-03 21.12.38.png

http://en.wuhanopen.org
2014915171925272.jpg
2014915171922974.jpg
13572139_13572139_1444116181031_mthumb.jpg

Last edited:
14 Olympic medalist from this? Malaysia only 2.
Yes....14 Olympic medalists from this district (Qiaokou District) of Wuhan City so far....
And Wuhan City is the only city in China which has at least one gold medalist in every Olympics China has ever taken part in.

Including
Hu Jia (men's 10 meters platform diving, gold, 2004)
Li Ting (women's tennis double, gold, 2004)
Fu Ningxia (women's diving, gold, 1992, 1996, 2000)
http://www.qiaokou.gov.cn/qkgk/sjgjyl/

12367359.jpg

However...sadly, most of them were members of provincial teams or city teams of China's coastal provinces. The richer, the better you can offer...Sport is closely related to economy, bloody reality. Many sportsmen/women stand out in our district team or city team, then, picked up by those rich provinces, steal away!!!:frown:
@powastick @Chinese Bamboo @dy1022

Last edited:
South Asia is an embarrassment as far as Olympic medals are concerned. Per capita Afghanistan has the highest medals, followed by Pakistan. India falls at last on the list and Bangladesh doesnt even exist on the list because it has never won a medal!

Rank, Country, Number of Medals, Per capita Medals,

128) Afghanistan, 2, 12,242,800

132) Pakistan, 10, 17,930,900

133) Sri Lanka, 1, 20,653,000

139) India, 26, 47,749,690

http://www.medalspercapita.com/#medals-per-capita:all-time

(Note: Sri Lanka has actually won two medals in Olympics meaning their per capita medals are 10,326,500, this takes them up to 127th place)
Its flawed way. Quoting a Bangladeshi who claimed that Bangladesh had more medals per capita than India in South Asian Games.
Per-crore medal tally:2010. Look all the countries performed better than India.

1 India .75 .45 .24 .14
2 Pakistan 1.12 1.47 2.12 .47
3 Bangladesh 1.11 1.42 3.39 .59
4 Sri Lanka 8.00 17.00 26.00 5.10
5 Nepal 2.39 3.07 6.14 1.16
6 Afghanistan 2.48 3.19 5.67 1.13
7 Bhutan 0 28.57 42.86 7.14
8 Maldives 0 0 66.67 6.67

Medals per person is a flawed way of telling how good a nation did in the games. Do you know that there is a limit on how many participants can take part per country in every event? Not surprised you choose 2010 South Asian Games because Bangladesh had more participants than other countries due to hosting.

In simple words, suppose Badminton is the only event in games and there is only 1 medal to be won. Now in scenario 1, Bangladesh won 1 medal, so its 0.05 medals per 1 crore. In scenario 2, India won 1 medal, its 0.007 medals per 1 crore. Although India won all medals, its still behind in medals per population.

Medals won per participation/qualification is much better that medals per population but even that is far from reality. There are a lot of qualifiers who are never expected to win any medals. And if people think that more population = more medals then they are wrong. There is a limit a human can go, most of the time factors due to high population are neglegible in front of factors like experience, strategy or even luck, such as in sports like lets say Cricket or Hockey.

You are free to use the same formula for Asian Shooting Championship 2015, Chinese won't agree with you.
View attachment 289148
Don't get me wrong, i don't want to make this Ind vs Pak thread, but most of Pakistan's medals in Olympics came in Hockey, a sport which depends way more on strategy and tactics rather than the population of a country.

Nah Genes matter mate.. Along with ofcause sporting culture and resources to manage championship outfits.. For example there is a reason that disproportionate number of Sprint Champions comes from the Caribbean, Even those who have won medals for the US have Caribbean ancestry, Like wise East Africans excel in long distance events

So it's a combination of many factors
Gene, efforts, and economy.

If you have money, just like those Middle East countries, buy athletes from Africa or Caribbean countries.

Yes....14 Olympic medalists from this district (Qiaokou District) of Wuhan City so far....
And Wuhan City is the only city in China which has at least one gold medalist in every Olympics China has ever taken part in.

Including
Hu Jia (men's 10 meters platform diving, gold, 2004)
Li Ting (women's tennis double, gold, 2004)
Fu Ningxia (women's diving, gold, 1992, 1996, 2000)
http://www.qiaokou.gov.cn/qkgk/sjgjyl/

However...sadly, most of them were members of provincial teams or city teams of China's coastal provinces. The richer, the better you can offer...Sport is closely related to economy, bloody reality. Many sportsmen/women stand out in our district team or city team, then, picked up by those rich provinces, steal away!!!:frown:

Wuhan facilities are nice bro! I suppose Shanghai team will win a few gold medals at Rio, after all we did help China team won the 2015 FINA at Kazan. Other than swimmers, Shanghai team is good at sailing, volley ball.

https://defence.pk/threads/fina-chi...ng-championships-atop-medal-standings.390760/

Wuhan facilities are nice bro! I suppose Shanghai team will win a few gold medals at Rio, after all we did help China team won the 2015 FINA at Kazan. Other than swimmers, Shanghai team is good at sailing, volley ball.

https://defence.pk/threads/fina-chi...ng-championships-atop-medal-standings.390760/
I know the team of Shanghai is outperforming other provinces especially in swimming.
I hope we can have more world-class swimmers!
Generally we were good at FINA, but we should do better in swimming!
final medals table png.PNG
Swimming!
@Gibbs @ahojunk Australia rocks in swimming!
屏幕快照 2015-08-10 10.35.28.png

Back
Top Bottom