What's new

Olympic losers: Why is India so bad at sport?

Reaction score
Country
United States
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36941269

Olympic losers: Why is India so bad at sport?
_90583420_gettyimages-149372023.jpg
Getty Images
"We have never won a medal for running," says the Indian sprinter Dutee Chand, "but with God's grace I will get to the finals and I will win one."

If the fastest woman in India succeeds, it will be a breakthrough for Indian sport.

The world's second most populous nation has the worst Olympic record in terms of medals per head.

It has won only one gold medal, for the men's 10m rifle in 2008.

In London, in 2012, it bagged its best haul, six medals, or one for every 200 million people.

In 2008, it got just three medals. Before that, it was lucky to come home with a single medal.

Compare India's performance with minnows such as Grenada and Jamaica, which regularly get a medal for every couple of hundred thousand people.

So why isn't India punching its weight?

One reason is undoubtedly money.

India, despite its space programme and burgeoning population of billionaires, is still a very poor nation in terms of per capita income, and sport has never been a priority for the government, according to Shiva Keshavan.

Keshavan is far and away India's greatest Winter Olympian.

He competes in luge, a kind of super-fast sledge. In two of the past five Winter Games, he was the only Indian to qualify, the only member of a team of one. Yet his ticket to Sochi was paid not by the Indian government but by crowdfunding.

_90581008_gettyimages-584520084.jpg
Getty Images
Dutee Chand will be the first Indian woman sprinter in 36 years to participate in the Olympic 100m
And the lack of government - or any other - funding has also seen Keshavan adopt an eye-poppingly dangerous training regime.

There are no luge facilities in India, so he screwed wheels to the bottom of his sledge and practised on Himalayan roads, overtaking cars and lorries to reach speeds of up to 100km/h. (62mph)

"At one point I couldn't sustain my career," says Keshavan.

"I couldn't go for training, I couldn't go for competitions because I didn't have the money for that, so I started looking for sponsorship. And I actually went to 100 companies before one of them said yes."

He believes the chronic lack of resources has undermined his performance, and that of most other Indian athletes.

"I think to be sustainable we have to have a proper system for athlete selection and training from a young age," he says.

The Indian Olympic Association admits the country has not always done enough to support its athletes, but says there is more to India's sorry performance than just a shortage of cash or organisation.

Its head, Narayana Ramachandran, says sport is rarely at the top of anyone's agenda - and that includes athletes and their families.

"Sport has always taken a back seat vis a vis education," he says.

_90583420_gettyimages-149372023.jpg
Getty Images
Most Indian families would prefer their children became dentists or accountants than Olympians, Mr Ramachandran says.

"Families tend to give their children more education," he says.

"The view is concentrate on education, rather than sport. The basic feeling is that sport doesn't bring the money that is required to run a family."

India's cultural and caste traditions play a role too, according to Prof Ronojoy Sen, of the University of Singapore.

He has written a book on the history of sport in India and believes the country's poor Olympic record has deep roots.

Indians have traditionally seen themselves primarily not as individuals, but as members of their caste, tribe or region, he says.

Even when people excel in sport, they are often been discouraged from pursuing it to top levels, by their families and wider community.

And social stratification has meant different castes tended not to play sport together.

"The lower castes constitute the bulk of India's population, and these lower castes are also the ones who don't have access to education, don't have access to good nutrition, health," Prof Sen says.

_90583422_n_ramachandran.jpg

Indian Olympic Association president Narayana Ramachandran says sport struggles to find a role in the country
"That has meant that a large part of India's population hasn't been able to take part in sport, and hasn't had access to sporting facilities."

Now, private companies are stepping in to try to fill the gaps.

They are following the example of countries such as Australia and the UK, which have dramatically increased their medal count by investing in elite selection and training programmes.

It has been estimated that each medal the UK won in 2012 cost £4.5m.

Maneesh Bahuguna, of Anglian Medal Hunt, which is funding a number of predominantly lower-caste athletes, including Dutee Chand, believes its efforts will - in time - deliver results.

"What we bring to the table for these athletes is the ability to bridge the gap between those best practices that are unavailable to them otherwise and the final performance at the Olympic Games," Mr Bahuguna says.

"We improve their conditioning, physical and mental, by leaps and bounds."

India is fielding its best-trained and biggest-ever team in Rio.

It is hoping deliver on the promise of the country's vast population, reaping rewards on the winner's podium.

Developing countries are way behind in terms of Sports Infrastructure.

Including China which is also lagging in terms of gold medals per capita.

Imagine how many Ye Shiwen's and Sun Yang's there are in rural China, but without swimming pools and good trainers how will anyone know their potential?

Developing countries are way behind in terms of Sports Infrastructure.

Including China which is also lagging in terms of gold medals per capita.

Imagine how many Ye Shiwen's and Sun Yang's there are in rural China, but without swimming pools and good trainers how will anyone know their potential?

Ignore these threads, read the article and you know its one of those feel good articles from BBC

"We have never won a medal for running," says the Indian sprinter Dutee Chand, "but with God's grace I will get to the finals and I will win one."

Only Asians let alone Indians to win Olympic medals in sprints EVER are two Sri Lankans.. Not even Chinese or Japanese Athletes with so much more resources than Sri Lanka have managed to do that.. Till 2008

Duncan White - Silver Medalist - 400-metre hurdles - Men - 1948
Susanthika Jayasinghe - Silver Medalist - 200 metre - Women - 2000

The island was the power house of Asian Sprints for decades, Now a sad shadow of that past, Owing to mismanagement and politicization of it's sports

Last edited:
I have a feeling India will do very well this Olympics. They will win a few gold medals.

It is OK even if we dont win

we are OBSESSED with CRICKET ; like Brazil is obsessed with Soccer

If we win a few medals they are just a bonus ; we will be happy

But if we dont win ; we wont mind

It is OK even if we dont win

we are OBSESSED with CRICKET ; like Brazil is obsessed with Soccer

If we win a few medals they are just a bonus ; we will be happy

But if we dont win ; we wont mind

Hmmm.. I think that's not a honest sentiment, Both the Indian government and the private sector have invested heavily on this Olympic campaign.. It would be a major disappointment if they don't reach their targets.. India under the leadership of the Modi Govt is trying to portray it's role as a potential global power and sporting success at world level is a very important aspect of that

Btw Brazil is indeed obsessed with Footy but it also wins a considerable amount of medals in Olympics and other global sporting events

Computer model taking into consideration of performance of different athletes sent to Rio has been like....India is going to have only two medals!! One in Tennis and other in Badminton!!

Hmmm.. I think that's not a honest sentiment, Both the Indian government and the private sector have invested heavily on this Olympic campaign.. It would be a major disappointment if they don't reach their targets.. India is trying to portray it's role as a potential global power and sporting success at world level is a very important aspect of that

Btw Brazil is indeed obsessed with Footy but it also wins a considerable amount of medals in Olympics and other global sporting events

If we win medals we will CELEBRATE ; no doubt about that

but if we dont ; Nobody will cry

We should know our limitations ; Winning Olympic medals is not easy and not a joke

Computer model taking into consideration of performance of different athletes sent to Rio has been like....India is going to have only two medals!! One in Tennis and other in Badminton!!

Wresting and trap shooting i think will bring India medals.. Btw India is literally the only true South Asian Representatives at this games.. SL have no hopes of a medal out of thier 16 member contingent, I'm not aware of Bangladesh's chances and no Pakistani's have qualified

If we win medals we will CELEBRATE ; no doubt about that

but if we dont ; Nobody will cry

We should know our limitations ; Winning Olympic medals is not easy and not a joke

It's not hence the authorities have invested so heavily this time on Indian sports.. I think there will be a number of medals for India

It's not hence the authorities have invested so heavily this time on Indian sports.. I think there will be a number of medals for India

I would be very very happy if we can win TEN medals

Even if it is like TWO gold ; Three silver and Five Bronze -- I would be very happy

Sania Mirza in a recent interview said it very correctly.

She said, I hate to break it to you guys, but we are seriously genetically compromised when it comes to other races when it comes to athletics. She was comparing herself to the 6+ girls on the women's circuit (6'4" in heels is how she put it lol) strutting all over the place.

Now we would all agree that Sania is not small by Indian woman standards.

Only Asians let alone Indians to win Olympic medals in sprints EVER are two Sri Lankans.. Not even Chinese or Japanese Athletes with so much more resources than Sri Lanka have managed to do that

Duncan White - Silver Medalist - 400-metre hurdles - Men - 1948
Susanthika Jayasinghe - Silver Medalist - 200 metre - Women - 2000

The island was the power house of Asian Sprints for decades, Now a sad shadow of that past, Owing to mismanagement and politicization of it's sports
What kind of ignorant brag is this? Chinese superstar Liu Xiang, Golden Medalist - 110-metre hurdles - Men, 2004 Athens olympics, record-breaking.

Back
Top Bottom