• Total voters

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
IAF next worst ‘after PAF’ in accident rates
Daily Times Monitor

NEW DELHI: The Indian Air Force, which often draws flak for its accident rate, has done a comparative analysis with some of other air forces in the world to see where it stands. The results show that IAF is only better to its counterpart in Pakistan, according to Deccan Chronicle.

The gist of the figures gathered by the Air Headquarters is like this: IAF’s own accident rate is 0.86 per cent of the total number of sorties.

The rate of the US Air Force is 0.175, while in the case of Pakistan it is 1.37, according to Deccan Chronicle. Thailand and France are also better than India and Pakistan with rates of 0.118 and 0.72 respectively. Officials, however, admit that the analysis is based on figures of crashes gathered from unofficial sources as most of the air forces conceal their accident rate.

The situation is different in India where the details of each accident is in public domain as the IAF are answerable to parliament. The officials explain that a lot has been put in to bring down the accident rate over the years. And the results are showing. The last two years have gone off well. If the decade of seventies saw close to 500 accidents, the number hovered around 400 in the next two decades before it came drastically down in the 90s when it was less than 200. The year 2003 and 2004 saw only 21 accidents.

In terms of aircraft, the MiG-23s have the worst record followed by MiG-21s. In 1999, 12 MiG-21s were lost and in 2004 it was only two. But the officials feel that there is no need to stop flying the MiGs which form the backbone of the IAF. The MiG-23s have a crash rate of 2.97 against 2.50 of the MiG-21. The Jaguars and Mirage have accident rates of 1.56 and 1.22, respectively.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?p...0-1-2005_pg7_41

I never got a chance to actually read this news. This is the first time i am reading this news from Daily Times, which is a very capable source for Pakistani Forces.

I am very surprised to see the attrition rate of IAF has drastically decreased over the years.

We need to accept the fact that not all the aircraft crashes are reported to us, as most of the time media misses it. True, this is been changing as we are recieving the news now of aircraft crashes, and i believe it is the right way.

IAF is said to be answerable to parliament for every crash, and it must notify it. So i was wondering why dont our air force have to do that. Doing such things will change the people's mind and they will actually support more funds for the military as i am very well aware that funds are available but government doesn't let armed force's branches to use them., as in case of the economic crises.

Most of the aircrafts that are crashed in PAF i believe are Mirages III and V.

I have added a poll of which shall show if we should support such a program that will record the crashes of PAF or not, and should PAF be made to answer these crashes? I need your views and votes.

Ahsan the Link is from the Daily Times but the real news is from an Indian newspaper known as the HINDU and we all know how credible Indian news are.In the past 5 years the crash rate for Pakistani aircraft was 12 AIRCRAFT while for India it was 134 AIRCRAFT
That accounts for only 3.4% for Pakistan while a massive 16.2% for India.

Well many Indians claim this, and your right webmaster we must consider it, at least accept it that it should be done. This will greatly help PAF for a aim of improvements, funds, and support.

Back
Top Bottom