What's new

Old Bangla Photos

I am surprised to see such a beautiful Minaar built by Sultan Saif ud Din Firoz Shah of Bengal sometime in 1480s. It is still well preserved. There was a time when Arabs and Abysinians had come to Bengal and made this land their permanent home. During the second half of 15th Century there were 8,000 Abysinian troops in the Bengal Army.

However, contrary to the statement given in the related posts you have sent, Firoz Shah was not an Abysinian and nor the Sultan after him, Qutubuddin Mahmud Shah. Rather, the latter was killed by one of his palace attendants whose name was Sidi Badr, a Khoja. Malik Andil was of Abysinian general of Bengal army, but he was at the border at the time of killing the Sultan.

He rushed to the Capital and the Emirs asked him to kill Sidi Badr. Sidi Badr was killed by him and he took over the Sultanate of Bengal. But, he himself was defeated and killed by his Prime Minister Syed Hussein Shah at a latter time, who was the descendent of an Arab migrant. Any way, Sultan Firoz Shah was not an Abysinian. He was a Bangali of Turkic origin. So, the title of the Minaar is a little misleading.

Now, another problem will arise from some posters. Why there are not any Abysinian words in Bengali? So, it is not a part of history, but only a story. Racism should be avoided at any cost when we study history. History should be read as it is.

During the second half of 15th Century there were 8,000 Abysinian troops in the Bengal Army.

First learnt about Abyssinian troops in the History textbook of Bangladesh Open Univ (tertiary level) many years back. Same for the Scythian Calendar.

B.O.U. History book also discussed about the military and economic genius Alauddin Khilji's price control policy, learnt about him and his policy the first time in that book.

Came across ancient Munda (Austro-Asiatic) linguistic background in one of the Sociology or Anthropology textbook. Related link.

Now, another problem will arise from some posters. Why there are not any Abysinian words in Bengali? So, it is not a part of history, but only a story. Racism should be avoided at any cost when we study history. History should be read as it is.

Well good point. A language can not be created or imposed. Its the conveniency of the people how they communicate with each other. You have to go deep to get your answer why those Abysinian word were not incorporated in Bengali. Did abysinians ever used their native in this country or it was convenient for them to just use Arabic or farsi as they were the government servent. Also I bet they were not given equal status as those came from Turky or Central Asia. You also mentioned in your earlier posts few months back they were driven out of the Bengal to south India in later dates (I dont know about their history though).

A nineteenth century manuscript from Sylhet region :

Thanks for posting this. When I was a kid I saw a person in our village who could read this script to recite Puthis. His son knows this as well. Strange that some people till this date can read these script even though no formal education ever provided with this very script. I dont know how its been passed on generation after generation without any schooling???

If I have time I will try to learn that as well and teach that to my children. :-)

Well good point. A language can not be created or imposed. Its the conveniency of the people how they communicate with each other. You have to go deep to get your answer why those Abysinian word were not incorporated in Bengali. Did abysinians ever used their native in this country or it was convenient for them to just use Arabic or farsi as they were the government servent.

Also I bet they were not given equal status as those came from Turky or Central Asia. You also mentioned in your earlier posts few months back they were driven out of the Bengal to south India in later dates (I dont know about their history though).

You have a long memory. Yes, after Syed Hussein Shah came to power by defeating Muzaffar Shah (Malik Andil), the Abisinian general and later a Sultan of Bengal, the new Monarch expelled the Abisinians to south India (which part, I do not know) sometime in 1493/94 AD. Their many million descedents, now certainly mixed with local populace, must be living there as Indians Muslims.

However, I also ASSUME that not all those people could have been expelled. Probably, those who supported Muzaffar Shah were mainly expelled and many might have remained in Bengal as it was already their homeland. We can see traces of them in some of our Muslim faces. It is similar as seeing Arab faces and other foreign looking faces among us.

Another point, not all Africans are pure Negroes. Many are pure Arab or European looking. Many of them are again in between Arab and Negroes. Abysinia is a place what we call today Eritria and Ethiopisa.They are certainly dark-skinned, but not as dark as a Nigerian or a Ghanain. Their physical features are also different from pure blooded Negroes. Abysinians have very handsome straight faces like the Arabs, but with dark skin and a little curled hair. It is same also with the people of northern Sudan.

Thing is, Abysinian and north Sudanese are mixed blooded people. Being at the border between black Africans and Arabs, they are the mixed descendents of these two groups of people. Now, some of these people came also to our land to find opportunuities. Many of them were expelled, but many might have remaind here. So, we the Muslim Bangalis may also be partly carrying their blood in our veins.

Now, about language. Perhaps, the Habshis spoke their native tongue or Arabic in their houses and spoke Turkic/Persian when inter-mingling with other muslims as well as Hindus. I think, there may be some of their native words in Bengali, but, we are not aware of it. Think of the Bengali word 'Biday' or good bye. We are not aware that it is an Arabic word, 'Al-Bida.' Similarly, 'Thakur' or Devta is also a Turkic word, but we are not aware of it.

Ancient migrations of Australoid, Dravidian, Elamite and Sumerian people to various regions of Asia and Pacific including Bengal and China, 940 x 1121 pixels :

Related links

Thanks for exploring the truth.

I am Bangladesh. I am the continua-tor of the great ancient Dravidian Nation. The people who doesn't recognize this main root of Bangladeshi Nation are not Bangladeshi at all. Those are confused and have lost their identity or they are outsiders or the the agents of outsiders.

We are not a myth. We are the great Dravidian Bangladeshi Nation.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Thanks for destroying all the evil tricks.

Thanks for exploring the truth.

I am Bangladesh. I am the continua-tor of the great ancient Dravidian Nation. The people who doesn't recognize this main root of Bangladeshi Nation are not Bangladeshi at all. Those are confused and have lost their identity or they are outsiders or the the agents of outsiders.

We are not a myth. We are the great Dravidian Bangladeshi Nation.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Thanks for destroying the evil tricks.

We aint dravidian. Dont twist history. By the way what evil tricks??

We aint dravidian. Dont twist history. By the way what evil tricks??

Nothing is being twisted. True history is only being explored with the help of very reliable source material. Just try to feel the information of mil-avia's previous posts. Thus you must be able to feel the Dravidian Bangladeshi origin. Then you will be confident enough to say that why are you not an Indian or a Pakistani or of other Nationality.

We are the Bangladeshi, continua-tor of the great ancient Dravidian Nation. We are one of the largest homogenous true nation of the world.

Uphold your true nationality.

We are Dravidian Bangladeshi, ready to destroy all the tricks of aggressors(including Aryan) who want to destroy our nationality.
We are united and confident enough to express our identity.

Just for the record haplogroup R1a found in pretty high percentage (72%) among bengali brahmins.

Back
Top Bottom