What's new

Old Bangla Photos

River+Buriganga+near+Dhaka+-+1885.jpg

Photograph of Dacca (Dhaka) taken in the 1880s, from an album 'Architectural Views of Dacca', containing 13 prints by Johnston and Hoffman. View looking along the river Buriganga towards the city of Dhaka situated on the left bank. A Hindu temple tower stands at the water's edge.

Wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing. :tup:

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

"Kumar Ramendra Narayan Rai choudhury" at Joydebpur palace with tiger. He is famously known in history as the "Bhawal Sanyasi" c early (1900) (Joydevpur Palace, Dhaka )

319570_173228126090613_160501724029920_368727_1775341778_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Urdha-Bahu Sannyasi, Eastern Bengal (1860)

Print showing a 'sanyasi' or wandering Hindu mendicant taken by an unknown photographer in the early 1860s. Sanyasis or sadhus are holy men who have taken the path of renunciation. In the Hindu tradition, a man's life was divided into four ashramas or stages: brahmacharya (childhood and celibate youth), grihastha (householder) vanaprastha (householder devoted to spiritual pursuits) and sanyasa (ascetic). Sanyasa was in essence the culmination of an ideal life, when a human being practised austerity and tried to discover life's truths and oneness with God. Having turned their back on material comforts, sanyasis sported unshorn hair and beards, meditating and performing rigorous penances and retreating to isolated caves, forests and hills. In modern times, they appear more as wandering mendicants than true holy men, roaming India, begging for food. Sanyasis have a particular allegiance to Shiva (one of the three great gods of the Trinity in Hindusim) who is also known as ‘The Great Ascetic’. He is usually visualised meditating, seated crosslegged on a tigerskin, smeared with ash, wearing a loincloth and with matted hair, garlanded with a rudraksha mala or necklace of seeds, Rudra being one of his many names. Sanyasis smear their bodies with sacred ash or bhasma, they sometimes wear or sit on animal skins, and they use rudraksha seed rosaries. This is one of a series of portrait studies of individuals and groups from Eastern Bengal (modern Bangladesh and Assam). It is possible that they were taken in response to the Government of India's call for photographs representing various ethnic types and castes from across the sub-continent.

297042_160894867323939_160501724029920_332784_7029214_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

Portrait of a Dosadh 'syce' or groom - Eastern Bengal 1860's

318192_160876640659095_160501724029920_332727_4017424_n.jpg

I read a book on the story of Bhawal Sannyasi.

Dana+Dighi+Lake,+Dilkusha+Dhaka+1904.jpg

Photograph taken by Fritz Kapp in 1904 of a large tank or reservoir in Dilkusha Gardens in Dacca (now Dhaka), part of an album of 30 prints from the Curzon Collection.

Source: bl.uk (British Library)

Whatever it takes to remove this current regime :coffee:

Although, we do need cleaner politicians. That guy really crossed his limits during the BNP administration.

I think he might have taken lesson that corruption need to have a limit. limit less corruption have greater chance to get caught . he is our only hope if you don't want to vote Jamat .

I think he might have taken lesson that corruption need to have a limit. limit less corruption have greater chance to get caught . he is our only hope if you don't want to vote Jamat .

So next time he will do corruption in a limited way?

Nawab's+Shahbagh+Garden+Dhaka+1904.jpg

Photograph taken by Fritz Kapp in 1904 with a general view looking towards a pavilion in the Nawab's Shahbagh gardens in Dacca (Dhaka, now the capital of Bangladesh), part of an album of 30 prints from the Curzon Collection.
Nawab's+Dilkusha+Garden+Dhaka+1904.jpg

Photograph taken by Fritz Kapp in 1904 of a large garden house built by the Nawabs in the Dilkusha Gardens in Dacca (now Dhaka), part of an album of 30 prints from the Curzon Collection. Garden Houses were large buildings designed in the European style and set in extensive grounds. Dilkusha Gardens were adjacent to the watery Motijheel area, near swamps and marshes. The commercial heart of present-day Dhaka has since engulfed the area. Lord Curzon was Viceroy of India from 1899-1905. In February 1904, he toured Eastern Bengal and visited Dhaka on the 18th and 19th where he stayed at the Ahsan Manzil Palace. This album of gelatine-silver prints commemorates his Dhaka visit, though it is not a record of it and only presents us with general views. Kapp worked as a commercial photographer from the 1880s onwards and had studios in Chowringhee Road and Humayun Place in Calcutta. From the early 1900s he had a studio in Wise Ghat Road in Dhaka.

Source: bl.uk (British Library)

Guys why do you buy prothom alo and daily star propaganda??? Maybe Tarek Zia is not clean but he is better than any other politician in Bangladesh and really a patriotic one.... People expected him more as he was Zia's son, only clean politician in the history of Bangladesh.....

As you all know last army led caretaker Govt tried to form a new Party, tried to get rid of Sheikh family and Zia family.... They had to destroy tarek's popularity.....They worked on it.. NSI and other intelligence agency tried hard to defame him, still failed to prove a single allegation. As you know, Caretaker Govt. was supported by Civil society Led by P.alo editor Motiur.... His paper played a key role in defaming him.....

Believe me, If you want to see BD a prosperous one, People like Tarek and Babar is your only option........

Yes get rid of Mamun, Falu, Harish chowdhury, Iskandar Mirza who used Tarek for corruption......

Many news paper reported that Khaleda Already sidelined them , and party runs on Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir.......

@ Are bhai I got the article, I liked the article so I pest it. About myself I tried my best but you know in North Bnegal areas people are less educated. I some how managed to get the name of my great great grand father through pathernal side. My grandfather was a "Imam" of a musque with only "minor pass". His skin was white. His name was Md Abdul Karim Munshi. I saw him during the "Milad Mahfil", he used to narrate in urdu without understanding the meaning of it. Since I read little bit of urdu I could understand what he is telling. It seems during the British times most of the "Wasmahfils" were narrated in urdu and farsi. In our locality I saw one school teacher who was through in Arabic, urdu, and farsi and could talk in all languages. From my maternal side they were more less educated and hence less Islamic minded. I saw my maternal grand grand father. His name was "Pania Sarkar" and they were called " Morol ". So, it seems my paternal side came from Persia and my maternal side was "Nomo Shudra" convertee. Now about the % I think 80% (muslim) and 20%(hindu). I remember, the day my wife came to our house after marraige my mother accepted her with " kashar thali " having "prodip" and rice on the plate. Lately I realised these are hindu traditions. Well in our localities most of the customs what now I realised are hindu culture and traditions but still we are following it. These will continue........!!!!!!!!!!

@ About the article to some extent the writer is correct. Definitely it has some impact on the family and activities and since Akbar was the great King so it had a great impact. In the true sense we never consider Akbar as a true muslim. His "Din-e-Iahi" was a complete bulshit.

80% Assalamu Alaikum and 20% Namashkar to Akmal :rofl:

Guys why do you buy prothom alo and daily star propaganda??? Maybe Tarek Zia is not clean but he is better than any other politician in Bangladesh and really a patriotic one.... People expected him more as he was Zia's son, only clean politician in the history of Bangladesh.....

As you all know last army led caretaker Govt tried to form a new Party, tried to get rid of Sheikh family and Zia family.... They had to destroy tarek's popularity.....They worked on it.. NSI and other intelligence agency tried hard to defame him, still failed to prove a single allegation. As you know, Caretaker Govt. was supported by Civil society Led by P.alo editor Motiur.... His paper played a key role in defaming him.....

Believe me, If you want to see BD a prosperous one, People like Tarek and Babar is your only option........

Yes get rid of Mamun, Falu, Harish chowdhury, Iskandar Mirza who used Tarek for corruption......

Many news paper reported that Khaleda Already sidelined them , and party runs on Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir.......

By your standards which newspaper does not spread propaganda. Closing your eyes on articles which criticises him will only blind your judgement.

Is Mirza Fakrul less fit than Tarique. Does Tarique have better IQ than Mirza? Why you want corrupt Tarique when Mirza is doing great job?

My great Grandfather Abdul Aziz was a tax collector in the region And Established Mosque Madrasas beside our house and used to work as Imam in that Mosque, hence our family is known as Molla family :rofl: ..... His skin was like Bengalis.......... And my Grandfathers wife was arab descendent with fair skin, Her name was Umme Honey... so i am mixed ....... :D

315096_193119090768183_160501724029920_432852_753527734_n.jpg

Kabuliwalas (Afghans) chatting on Eid day, Dhaka (1954)

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

387274_192964944116931_160501724029920_432201_1180733970_n.jpg

Children in identical dress on Eid day-Dhaka (1954)

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM ----------

384938_192717764141649_160501724029920_431212_682279229_n.jpg

Governor Sher-e-Bangla AK Fazlul Haque at home on Eid day, Dhaka (1954)

---------- Post added at 04:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

299039_192674057479353_160501724029920_431088_349226137_n.jpg

On way to visit relatives on Eid day , Dhaka (1954)

photographer- James Burke

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

390064_192561887490570_160501724029920_430717_1103370156_n.jpg

Eid day Fair, Dhaka (1954)

photographer- James Burke

---------- Post added at 04:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

297043_192533794160046_160501724029920_430572_1464723939_n.jpg

Offering Eid prayer, Dhaka (1954)

Photographer- James Burke

Back
Top Bottom