What's new

Old Bangla Photos

Ancient migration routes through North Bengal, Sylhet and South India :

bac.jpg

Because you believe in Bangladeshi nationalism as opposed to Bengali nationalism(whatever does that mean! there is one instance an elite member from Pakistan taught me that there is no Bengali in Bangladesh but they are Bangladeshi who don't speak Bengali!) :lol:

We wanted the same, to call our state as Bengal or Bangla, but the politicians who are of older generation don't seem to get rid of partition hangover!

Please take note of another Partition hangover. In Bangladesh we refer to Bongabdo. But, in west Bengal, for obvious reason Shokabdo is used. However, both the calender use Boishakh, Jaistho etc. to denote the Months. You may check the Hindu Panjika published in Kolkata.

Bongabdo is related to the Hijri Saal and was introduced by Emperor Akber at the request of his Finance Minister Raja Toder Mal in order to systemize the land taxation of the empire. Hijri is a lunar month that ends one month in about 28.4 days. So, every year the date of taxation had to be re-fixed. Bongabdo is a Solar year. So, the fscal year was very clear in this.

To this Bongabdo the already known months like Baisakh, Jaistha etc. were affixed. West Bengal discarded this Bongabdo because it is based on Hijri Saal, and instead, it introduced Shokabdo.

Bangladeshi nationalism is over-rated. Hence the relatively weak sense of identity of these "Bengali Muslims".

Anyways, this is my opinion judging from the current state of things in Bangladesh.

The problem is that in mainstream Bangladesh today, people tend to see the beginning of their history from 1971. Personally, I believe this is a flawed line of thinking.

In reality, Bengal (not Bangladesh) has a glorious history even during the time of Alexander. It was called Gangaridi, as has been written by the Grek Historians. This strong Kingdom was ready to repulse the invasion of Alexander and had sent large troops, horses and elephants to the west to fight Alexander. But, of course, who can match the bravest Raja Poru?

Even long before the Muslim time, this region's Pataliputra became the political center of entire Hindustan. This empire extended upto Afghanistan. Before the Muslim invasion of Hindustan, Laxman Sen was revered as the King of Kings, but he was unable to show his leadership when foreign Muslims invaded Hindustan and then his own Kingdom. When the brave Prithviraj Chauhan was fighting against Muhammad Ghori at the Battle of Tarain to protect his country and his honour, Laxman Sen failed to unite his forces with him.

Please take note of another Partition hangover. In Bangladesh we refer to Bongabdo. But, in west Bengal, for obvious reason Shokabdo is used. However, both the calender use Boishakh, Jaistho etc. to denote the Months. You may check the Hindu Panjika published in Kolkata.

Bongabdo is related to the Hijri Saal and was introduced by Emperor Akber at the request of his Finance Minister Raja Toder Mal in order to systemize the land taxation of the empire. Hijri is a lunar month that ends one month in about 28.4 days. So, every year the date of taxation had to be re-fixed. Bongabdo is a Solar year. So, the fscal year was very clear in this.

To this Bongabdo the already known months like Baisakh, Jaistha etc. were affixed. West Bengal discarded this Bongabdo because it is based on Hijri Saal, and instead, it introduced Shokabdo.

Shokabdo literally means "Scythian Calendar" or "Scythian Year".

Scythian invaders came from Central Asia.

Related image.

Not sure what you meant, we use the Bangabdo as well, may be in Panjika they use different calendar as it's used for religious ceremonies.

anandabazarpatrikabenga.png

prothomalomostpopularba.png

Although, I'm not sure why it is 24th Kartik in Anandabazar and 27th in Prothom Alo! :s

yeah got it.

The Bengali calendar in Bangladesh (then East Pakistan) was modified by a committee headed by Muhammad Shahidullah under the auspices of the Bangla Academy on 17 February 1966.
The length of a year in the Bengali calendar, as in the Gregorian calendar, is counted as 365 days. However, the actual time taken by the earth in its revolution around the sun is 365 days 5 hours 48 minutes and 47 seconds. To make up this discrepancy, the Gregorian calendar adds an extra day, to make a leap year, to the month of February every fourth year (except in years divisible by 100 but not by 400). The Bengali calendar, which was based on astronomical calculations, did not make this extra leap year adjustment. Bengali months, too, were of different lengths. To counter this discrepancy, and to make the Bengali calendar more precise, the following recommendations of the Bangla Academy are followed:
The first five months of the year from Boishakh to Bhadro will consist of 31 days each.
The remaining seven months of the year from Ashshin to Choitro will consist of 30 days each.
In every leap year of the Gregorian calendar, an additional day will be added in the month of Falgun, which is just 14 days after 29 February. (Modified without material change).
The revised calendar was officially adopted in Bangladesh in 1987. However, it is not followed in the neighbouring state of West Bengal, India, where the traditional calendar continues to be followed due to the deep bond of Hindu culture with the Bengali calendar. Hindu religious festivals are celebrated based on a particular lunar day and Bengali calendar combination.

I think, Hindus of Bangladesh still follow the old Bangla calender/Panjika published in west Bengal to fix the dates of their religious rites and festivals. The reason is quite understandable. Anyway, I want Faarhan and others to send many more photographs for us to see and enjoy.

Guys,
Sorry to budge in again.
It might be a good idea to keep this thread about old photos..
I mean old photos of Bengalis from all across India, Bangladesh etc etc..
In old time Bengalis had travelled to far off places.. Maybe we can have pictures of those too
Thanks Farhaan for the contributions

And we can have a separate thread about Bengali history, culture etc etc
I can see a lot of convergence between Bengalis from both sides of the border. And the discussion is mature and interesting !!!
An Adda without animosity and Tel-jhaal :-))

May Allah not bless his soul!

I understand why Hindu hate him and they have good reason for it however it's beyond my comprehension when it comes from Bangladeshi who claimed to be Muslim. . If Bakhtiyar did not come to Bengal, then perhaps you would still be a Hindu. Afsos!!!! I only ask Allah ar Lanat on people like you. :angry:

Bangladeshi nationalism is over-rated. Hence the relatively weak sense of identity of these "Bengali Muslims".

Bangladeshi nationalism incorporated with Islamic ideology. In older days, during British time, Bengali Hindu used to call us either by musalman or sheikh because they did not consider us part of the land. They also didn't think we were good people. Eastwatch can shed some light on this matter from Historical prospective.

Bangladeshi nationalism make sense for Bangladeshi Muslims because it give us sense of Identity that lay within the boundary of country called Bangladesh and Islam whereas Bengali mean you could also be from west Bengal and Hindu. I and most of our people do not want to be part of that land. To me, it's straight forward but I understand Awami minded people are confused about this concept. As seem, you rather be stuck with Joi Bangla instead of Bangladesh Zindabad. Don't you?

The historic meeting between Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and President Julfikar Ali Bhutto in hotel Intercontinental, in Dhaka, East Pakistan. 1971.

375189_244046485649472_198132090240912_633218_1031233569_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom