What's new

Old Bangla Photos

Bangladeshis are quite confident about their identity.... You are making yourself a fool if you measure them according to your scale.... Bangladeshis are muslim first... It is applicable for each and every muslim all over the world, they may be Bengali, uzbek, pathan, arab, sudanese whatever... They are muslim first.... Ask any indian practising muslim , he will answer the same...We are seperated from west bengal because we are muslims, we are seperated from pakistan cause we are bangalis.... .. We are bengali muslim, this is our identity.....

I was reading your post with pride until your last sentence. It bang in my forehead and left me a headache. :disagree:

You are contradicting your own believe. If you are saying that you are Muslim first and Bengalis second then how can you feel it was right for us to get separated from greater Islamic land. I mean Ummah supposedly one unified body. The problems arise when we connect our self to some specific region. This connection has been the cause of downfall for Muslim Ummah in SA.

My next comment may hurt you and other Bengali minded Bangladeshis here.

Bangladesh will have corrupted Muslim cultures so long Bd preserve the Bangla script(Devanagari script), and feel emotionally connected with Tagore and other Hindu writers. The more Tagore literature you read, more Hindu you become because Taghore philosophy based on Hinduism. A Hindu will not think like Muslim.

On the flip side, Allama Iqbal, Hafiz and Maulana Roomi's literature will bring your soul and mind closed to what we call "Islamic culture". This is the main reason why Farsi and Urdu literature are being thought in Islamic institution. Perhaps, this is what Tameem was trying to convey. Tagore has handicapped Bangladeshi Muslim’s ideology; you may disagree but you can not prove otherwise.

Do you know we take as much pride in Gour , Murshidabad and Siraj-Ud-Daulah as Durga Puja, Shayama Puja etc....

What is your opinion about Bakhtiyar Khilji? He is not popular among West Bengali for some reasons. Any ideas. :undecided:

so after such a terrible history full of famine,floods,wars and genocide..Has Bangladesh learned something and have they made any progress?

I was reading your post with pride until your last sentence. It bang in my forehead and left me a headache. :disagree:

You are contradicting your own believe. If you are saying that you are Muslim first and Bengalis second then how can you feel it was right for us to get separated from greater Islamic land. I mean Ummah supposedly one unified body. The problems arise when we connect our self to some specific region. This connection has been the cause of downfall for Muslim Ummah in SA.

My next comment may hurt you and other Bengali minded Bangladeshis here.

Bangladesh will have corrupted Muslim cultures so long Bd preserve the Bangla script(Devanagari script), and feel emotionally connected with Tagore and other Hindu writers. The more Tagore literature you read, more Hindu you become because Taghore philosophy based on Hinduism. A Hindu will not think like Muslim.

On the flip side, Allama Iqbal, Hafiz and Maulana Roomi's literature will bring your soul and mind closed to what we call "Islamic culture". This is the main reason why Farsi and Urdu literature are being thought in Islamic institution. Perhaps, this is what Tameem was trying to convey. Tagore has handicapped Bangladeshi Muslim’s ideology; you may disagree but you can not prove otherwise.
some days ago i was having a conversation with a Jamati activist.. According to him Pakistan was established based on Islamic principle but it failed to follow that... So it became easy for the seperatists to convince common people against Pakistan... Anyway, you cant give rich food suddenly to a very sick person.... Bangladeshis were supporting islamic nation but they were not ready to give off their culture...... It had to be done slowly and in a planned way... I do think Zia had the idea and was going towards Islam slowly....... Anyway, Pakistanis were discriminating us and we had to seperate from them to live a better life sorry to say..

so after such a terrible history full of famine,floods,wars and genocide..Has Bangladesh learned something and have they made any progress?
i dont know... Sometimes i feel all the major industries except for RMG sector Such as Jute, Fertilizer, paper, electricity was established in Pakistan era.... Maybe we are better today, maybe not! Yes we have escaped terrorism problem which has become a headache for you for last decade.... But United pakistan always sounded cool to me..... Anyway we have learnt nothing..... Our politicians are ruining all our progress.... Only our hardworking people give us some ray of hope... If our GDP continues to grow in the present style our economy will become 20th large economy in 2050 and that is huge.....

i dont know... Sometimes i feel all the major industries except for RMG sector Such as Jute, Fertilizer, paper, electricity was established in Pakistan era.... Maybe we are better today, maybe not! Yes we have escaped terrorism problem which has become a headache for you for last decade.... But United pakistan always sounded cool to me..... Anyway we have learnt nothing..... Our politicians are ruining all our progress.... Only our hardworking people give us some ray of hope... If our GDP continues to grow in the present style our economy will become 20th large economy in 2050 and that is huge.....
Actually sixties was the time whole of Pakistan made progress. Since that time even we have made no progress except in the field of defence production

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

Bengalis fought for bangla language in 1952, it gained official status in 1956. The pic was taken in 1962
what were u fighting for in 71 ???

What is your opinion about Bakhtiyar Khilji? He is not popular among West Bengali for some reasons. Any ideas. :undecided:

The opinion of general bengalis of "bhadrolok" ilk would be - barberians will be barberians.

Anyway why does a bihari leftover care what indian bengalis think? I'm sorry because of racist undertone of my post.

I had not much idea about him..
Let's try internet
Seems he was an Afgan general
He was involved in a lot of conquests..
Hmm.. intersting .. he was instrumental in destroying the revered Buddhist centre of learning Nalanda..
Then he went to Tibet ....
So as a Bengali..
he is not involved in the development of Bengali culture, language, food, dance..
Bengal was a geography for him
He was just like Timur, Alexander,Chengiz etc etc..
If you are asking for generals I admire Alexander.. .. that's it
Not much interest in wars etc

Ikhtiyar Uddin Muhammad Bakhtiar Khilji was my Childhood hero, he was a turk..... He came like a storm riding a horse through the forest of Jharkhand, only 17 of his soldiers managed to follow him..... When he entered Nadiya with 17 horsemen no one noticed...... He went to the palace, killed guards and Laxman shen managed to escape by a boat from behind.... Wow! What a general!

Al Zakir bhai based on the post by Farhan bhai , Ikhtiyar Uddin Muhammad Bakhtiar Khilji put aloos on the Hindus :) i mean he beat the hell out of them, why would they like him :p

Ikhtiyar Uddin Muhammad Bakhtiar Khilji was my Childhood hero, he was a turk..... He came like a storm riding a horse through the forest of Jharkhand, only 17 of his soldiers managed to follow him..... When he entered Nadiya with 17 horsemen no one noticed...... He went to the palace, killed guards and Laxman shen managed to escape by a boat from behind.... Wow! What a general!

Well that's a myth which is still getting circulated in Bangladeshi Madrasas. Bakhtiyar Khilji had the whole Delhi Sultanate army behind him and he along with 20 of his men came forward to offer a truce, the old king of Gaur naively believed this brute and kept himself off-guard, the result you know.

Bugger mate his fate in hands of his own pals!

Al Zakir bhai based on the post by Farhan bhai , Ikhtiyar Uddin Muhammad Bakhtiar Khilji put aloos on the Hindus :) i mean he beat the hell out of them, why would they like him :p

Therein lies your problem..There in lies your identity which is religion based
While I was talking from cultural point of view..
I asked how did Khiliji involve in the development of Bengali culture which I can be proud of
I found none
And excuse me..
WE, are not only Hindus ..
By culture I mean it is Hindu, Muslim, Christian and how religion imbibes within the cultural aspect
While as a religious follwower you still follow your traditions ..
When I am proud of my culture why should I bother about Khilji..
Do you take pride is desturction, killing , murders, tears..?
I don;t ..
that is why I said in the beginning of my reply to Asad that.. Al Zakir is a honest soul
He wants to remove external influences and might even think of removing language influence
Like removing Devnagari script and replacing with Nastalisq script..
For him Bangaladesh = Islam and nothing else
But some other of his country men interacted with me
Which led me to believe that there is very very deep chasm in identity of what a Bangaldeshi is
On our part I am proud of our cultural heritage.. my language, my foos, my dance, thatre, literature etc..
which is not just Hindu, Muslim etc etc but involves all religions
And definitely not proud of people who attacked others , caused misery, tears to satisfy his expansionist ego..

You're not well-versed in the history of Bengal, I recommend you to research a bit before putting up off-topic flames. Bakhtiyar had this particular fetish for Budhhists, destroyed the greatest university subcontinent ever had, beheaded thousands of monks. Most of Budhhists then converted to Islam and many of them now show what you call Stockholm Syndrome.

Upper and middle class(being politically correct at using 'class') Hindus had always been well-to-do in Bengal, even under Islamic rule most of administrative posts, landlords and even general ranks were primarily constituted of Hindus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom