What's new

“Okay! We Won’t Eat Beef” Indian Muslims

Ah tasted great......
fi004.jpg
TOO well done to my liking.

You can eat dogs and cats if you want in Western countries, it's just that you need to slaughter it yourself. Which is fair as no one is asking Hindus to slaughter cows.

So why doesn't the west allow them to be farm raised and have a slaughter house chain? Because there would be uproar over traditionally perceived pet animals (status given by humans) being treated this way. So is it any different when another status is given to another animal in another part of the world by the same logic?

The whole point here is when you are in Rome, you do as the Romans do. That's how majority rule operates. LEarn to make compromise for the sake of harmony and move on.

Its not like cow and cattle slaughter is banned across India...its a states issue and the state dictates the law according to the majority wishes (hence why cows -female cattle - are free to be slaughtered in Kerala, Bengal and NE states....but banned in the rest of the states, there is another rubric for male cattle and buffalo and so on).

800px-Status_of_cow_slaughter_in_India.png

Thus the recent clampdown is only on the illegal abattoirs anyway (not the slaughter of approved animals like bulls and buffalo which remains legal). If you want to have an abattoir (whatever religion you are from), please start one legally and run it legally. If you want to have illegally run slaughterhouses wherever you are from and wherever you live....thats on you. But its our country, our rules for India...enforcing law and order is to be welcomed. It's also why they are clamping down on the gau rakshak people who are doing extra-judicial vigilantism (that resulted in death of an innocent person recently). Everything outside of the law must be curtailed to the highest degree possible, because what's the point of making laws in the first place.

So why doesn't the west allow them to be farm raised and have a slaughter house chain? Because there would be uproar over traditionally perceived pet animals (status given by humans) being treated this way. So is it any different when another status is given to another animal in another part of the world by the same logic?

The whole point here is when you are in Rome, you do as the Romans do. That's how majority rule operates. LEarn to make compromise for the sake of harmony and move on.

Its not like cow and cattle slaughter is banned across India...its a states issue and the state dictates the law according to the majority wishes (hence why cows -female cattle - are free to be slaughtered in Kerala, Bengal and NE states....but banned in the rest of the states, there is another rubric for male cattle and buffalo and so on).

800px-Status_of_cow_slaughter_in_India.png

Thus the recent clampdown is only on the illegal abattoirs anyway (not the slaughter of approved animals like bulls and buffalo which remains legal). If you want to have an abattoir (whatever religion you are from), please start one legally and run it legally. If you want to have illegally run slaughterhouses wherever you are from and wherever you live....thats on you. But its our country, our rules for India...enforcing law and order is to be welcomed. It's also why they are clamping down on the gau rakshak people who are doing extra-judicial vigilantism (that resulted in death of an innocent person recently). Everything outside of the law must be curtailed to the highest degree possible, because what's the point of making laws in the first place.

Because there is no demand for dogs or cat meat. Even Chinese people have told me that they only eat dogs and cats when there is famine or they are too poor to afford other meats.

The problem here is not "when in Rome"

The problem is that a modern secular country is trying to force the majority hegemony on to the minority. That is fascism and it needs to be stopped any place it rears its ugly head.

As for "majority rules" that's canned "teareny of the majority" and much has been written about it. Majority at one time ruled that blacks are slaves.... Does that make it right?

No decent modern human can ever support such barbarism.

Even Chinese people have told me that they only eat dogs and cats when there is famine or they are too poor to afford other meats.

Not what I have seen, esp when you go to Southern interior China. Its not just there either, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand and cpl areas have it on the menu. Can look it up on youtube quite easily.

Guinea pigs are pet animals in the US, they are one the menu in peru. Countless other such examples all around the world.

The problem is that a modern secular country is trying to force the majority hegemony on to the minority. That is fascism and it needs to be stopped any place it rears its ugly head.

The minority likewise does not get to enforce its hegemony either (regarding how the majority perceives and designates special status to certain animals). It all boils down to perception. I know it certainly rubs you lot the wrong way when Muslim people push for harmony with the majority. They are not being asked to become vegetarian, there are plenty of other meats (even bovid meat like buffalo and bullock) that they can acquire and consume legally....hence Muslim people in India are largely fine with promoting communal harmony. It it not a religious edict/requirement for them to eat cow beef to be a muslim...so when they live among a majority that perceive the animal to be along the lines of how the west treasures its pet animals....they definitely need to accommodate that.

As for "majority rules" that's canned "teareny of the majority" and much has been written about it. Majority at one time ruled that blacks are slaves.... Does that make it right?

We are talking about Human consumption of animals here....not human on human treatment.

Majority rules definitely apply for social norms all around the world where human life is not concerned.

I don't expect to be able to find a pork chop restaurant in Mecca or Medina now do I....or even be allowed to visit those two places in the first place.

Nor do I expect a cat or dog eating restaurant to pop up down the road where I live in Canada....even though there are plenty of Koreans, Vietnamese and Chinese in the area.

Majority rules definitely matter, either implicitly or explicitly when it comes to social conventions and community taboos and rules (making compromises to get along) based on majority cultural norms and perceptions. When a community can move together and change on an issue over time, things can change for sure.

Nothing is set in stone after all. Till the late 19th century, beef was completely banned in Japan and the taboo was present for several decades after the Meiji emperor legalised it in order to "westernise". Such change regarding whats on and whats off the menu for the whole community thus has to come over time (rather than clamouring by implying consumption of x,y,z is an inalienable right when its not an inalienable requirement in any community's dogma)....otherwise you just create friction, tension impulsively that the society cannot dissipate and bad things happen. Thats why a variety exists in India itself exists regarding cow slaughter/consumption among its diverse make up of states....given its by state that the society is organised legislatively at the fundamental level.

Therefore you are simply going to see more of this:

In a twist of events, on Monday, the spiritual head of the Ajmer Dargah, Dargah Diwan Syed Zainul Abedin Ali Khan, at the closing ceremony of the 805th annual Urs at the Ajmer shrine, announced that he and his family would renounce beef and appealed to all other Muslims to do the same.

and if you dont like it, well too bad. You neither live in India nor have any vested interest in it. (I at least take those that do with much more credibility and seriousness when they are involved in this debate).

You can go spout about wherever you are from is so ideal in "human rights"/"secularism" (which major human-human aspects of this are denied to the whole region west of India stretching to the atlantic ocean) to whoever will listen to you (and they can make up their minds on it)....it isn't going to matter in the end of the day for the 170 million muslims living in India...where the majority ultimately want to be peaceable and communally harmonised for the greater good....and will thus work to that endeavour.

Because there is no demand for dogs or cat meat. Even Chinese people have told me that they only eat dogs and cats when there is famine or they are too poor to afford other meats.

No decent modern human can ever support such barbarism.

Dog meat is considered a delicacy, and believed to have body boosting medicinal value and is not cheap, though it would be good to ban it. It is commonly eaten in the Philippines other than China. Families raise dogs(yuk) to be eaten or easily bought in the Philippines.
Majority rule that support tyranny of the majority against minorities is bad, unless they are recent immigrants bringing and imposing their peculiar norms and practices that are offensive to the locals. Give and take is required especially if it is the wish of a large section of people, and not only focus on whether it is reasonable or not.
If a certain sacrificial action can keep the peace, why not, especially if the other party is not demanding it by force, but negotiate for it by give and take. Pardon me, but is this beef ban a recent event or a recurring many decades long problem as I don't know much about India even though I have some Tamil, Telagu, Malayalam, Hindi, and Silk friends. India seldom come up in our conversations except when they go get their wives or maids from India.

How weak. Next thing you know they're going to start drinking cow urine and start auvunculate marriages to appease their Hindu masters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom