What's new

OHP frigates for Pakistan Navy (USS KLARKING, USS DE WERT , USS ROBERT G BRADLEY) OHP FRIGATES

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 80mn USD
I think you are getting a raw deal Considering the fact that these are 30-32 Yr old frigates without proper weapon systems
When you look at the fact that USN transferred the 35 yr old 17000 Ton USS Trenton along with 6 Sea King Helis to India for 52 mn USD. There has to be some accusations of corruption flying around.

Had you guys got these ship with its full weapon's Package, they would have exceeded the capability of the Godavari Class Frigates of the Indian Navy, which are set for decommissioning starting 2016

I have to point out that all these transfers are likely done at zero dollars for the transfer itself. How much you spend refurbishing is up to the new owner. If the US Congress likes you, they might help out a bit with the expense. Some deals may be contingent on the refurbishing work being done in the US as well (amongst other conditions). To be entirely fair, the USS Trenton was a landing ship. It is basically a floating barracks. It had fewer weapons and sensors, so probably cost a lot less to refurbish. Mattress being less expensive than missiles, you know... :-)

Edit: on further investigation, I see that the USS Trenton was a purchase, not an EDA give-a-way. $48 million for the purchase, plus $32 million in refurbishment. Not sure whether the Sea Kings are included in those numbers or not. Additionally, it had conditions attached: (per Wikipedia) According to the report, the United States obtained an assurance that the naval ship could not be used for any offensive purposes, and had the right to regularly inspect it, under an end-user monitoring agreement that India and the US signed in 2009

I love the new name, Hindi for hippopotamus.

Edit: apparently the Sea Kings were a separate purchase for $39 million.

Last edited:
Already under discussion. The sale is unlikely at best.

Already under discussion. The sale is unlikely at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom