What's new

Officials: 46 migrants found dead inside 18-wheeler in San Antonio, 3 in custody

That would be Amazing, I can say for sure my life is not that interesting the bravest thing I ever did was river rafting in Kunhar River in Naran valley with my wife, that's about it. Florida would be considered East coast to right ? and what is WFLA8 ?

exactly, more money at one go, the reason why smugglers are willing to take that risk is that all they have to do after that is live with it, and make ton of money, its the people who lose it all unfortunately, Greed has turned humans into monsters who will do anything and everything just to get some money only to die and go to their graves with empty pockets.
Florida is considered South along with nearby Georgia, South Cal and Alabama. These are all considered deep southern state. WFLA8 is a local TV station IIRC is NBC affiliated, I know one of the production manager there.

And yeah, that's the tragic thing, people want to get a better life got done in by people who want to make money off themselves...

Florida is considered South along with nearby Georgia, South Cal and Alabama. These are all considered deep southern state. WFLA8 is a local TV station IIRC is NBC affiliated, I know one of the production manager there.

And yeah, that's the tragic thing, people want to get a better life got done in by people who want to make money off themselves...
Thanks, so I assume East coast will start from either North Carolina or Virginia ? I actually like Virginia a lot, and maybe in future I would try to move to either Richmond or Norfolk, I saw a lot of jobs in the port Area but because (If i am not wrong) there is a huge Naval base there, most of jobs require some " Secret " clearance which I assume I can't get it as a Green card holder, but pay and incentives seems nice, but I really wonder what does this Secret clearance means ? is it some sort of Govt clearance ? or its just some screening process that one has to go through ? back when I was in SC, I tried to apply for jobs in Lockheed Martin, and one of the job seems promising and I thought I would get hired but there was the same secret clearance issue came in the way.

Thanks, so I assume East coast will start from either North Carolina or Virginia ? I actually like Virginia a lot, and maybe in future I would try to move to either Richmond or Norfolk, I saw a lot of jobs in the port Area but because (If i am not wrong) there is a huge Naval base there, most of jobs require some " Secret " clearance which I assume I can't get it as a Green card holder, but pay and incentives seems nice, but I really wonder what does this Secret clearance means ? is it some sort of Govt clearance ? or its just some screening process that one has to go through ? back when I was in SC, I tried to apply for jobs in Lockheed Martin, and one of the job seems promising and I thought I would get hired but there was the same secret clearance issue came in the way.
Security Clearance are needed to get hired for any government job, be it in the military or as a contractor.

Norfolk is a giant Naval Base in Virginia, so everything you do there would require security clearance. Even if you are hired for street cleaning or janitorial job in Norfolk, you would still need security clearance to access the base.

It really depends on what kind of security clearance you are after, it range from a vetting from Federal Agency to interview and even board selection. If I still remember the level it goes from

Baseline
Confidential
Secret
Top Secret
TS/SCI

There are more but those are reserve for higher level government employee which most people would not really get.

So depends on what you do, if your job is basically just need to access the base, then a Baseline Clearance is enough, that usually means security checks from your PD or Federal Enforcement, but if your job require you to access different level of security information, then depends on what those information are, say if you work at Skunkworks, then most likely you will need a TS/SCI clearance to work in their project But if you are just a basic mechanic working on say F-16 or something, you probably will only need a Secret or Top Secret clearance with NDS

The Higher the Level of Clearance would require more security requirement and vetting. For example, when I applies for TS/SCI back in the days when I was working in Military Intel, I have to renew that clearance every year and I have to present myself to a FBI and CIA interview, they basically look at your life and your family history and what you do. And you cannot get it unless you are natural born (so if you are GC holder, you will NEVER get TS/SCI because you would be naturalised even if you gain US Citizenship), IIRC you can pass Baseline with a GC, but all other require US Citizenship.

Security Clearance are needed to get hired for any government job, be it in the military or as a contractor.

Norfolk is a giant Naval Base in Virginia, so everything you do there would require security clearance. Even if you are hired for street cleaning or janitorial job in Norfolk, you would still need security clearance to access the base.

It really depends on what kind of security clearance you are after, it range from a vetting from Federal Agency to interview and even board selection. If I still remember the level it goes from

Baseline
Confidential
Secret
Top Secret
TS/SCI

There are more but those are reserve for higher level government employee which most people would not really get.

So depends on what you do, if your job is basically just need to access the base, then a Baseline Clearance is enough, that usually means security checks from your PD or Federal Enforcement, but if your job require you to access different level of security information, then depends on what those information are, say if you work at Skunkworks, then most likely you will need a TS/SCI clearance to work in their project But if you are just a basic mechanic working on say F-16 or something, you probably will only need a Secret or Top Secret clearance with NDS

The Higher the Level of Clearance would require more security requirement and vetting. For example, when I applies for TS/SCI back in the days when I was working in Military Intel, I have to renew that clearance every year and I have to present myself to a FBI and CIA interview, they basically look at your life and your family history and what you do. And you cannot get it unless you are natural born (so if you are GC holder, you will NEVER get TS/SCI because you would be naturalised even if you gain US Citizenship), IIRC you can pass Baseline with a GC, but all other require US Citizenship.
Damn those are some serious level of security clearance, I did not know that they would require so much troubles I would not even applied, I did get a job in Norfolk back in Oct 2021 but it was for another company not for Base or Fed/State govt, the problem was that they were offering me same pay which I was making on my old job, and moving to Norfolk would be expensive hence I did not take the offer, I did remember I got a call from a Military base in Columbia SC and they asked me if I wanted to join, I was shocked because I never applied for Army or even anything related to them, and at that time I was like, I am not even US citizen how can I even join Army, but the guy told me I can once my naturalization process is started, and he even said that working for army will hasten the process, but I was like nah i am not a military guy. I just like reading about Military stuff but don't want to join it.

About Norfolk I figured because most of technical jobs somehow connects to the huge base, and they have jobs even in Administration and technical filed but it requires some sort/level of clearance, and now hearing from you I will just pass this and probably look more towards Richmond in Future. For me boring Administrative/IT jobs are ok not a fan of working in strict environment anyway. But I won't lie, the thought of working in Lockheed Martin was so cool, the fighter plane I saw since childhood fly over my house, but never saw it up close imagine working and help build it there :D but I also understand how sensitive such jobs or places are so I will just stick to normal boring jobs :)

Damn those are some serious level of security clearance, I did not know that they would require so much troubles I would not even applied, I did get a job in Norfolk back in Oct 2021 but it was for another company not for Base or Fed/State govt, the problem was that they were offering me same pay which I was making on my old job, and moving to Norfolk would be expensive hence I did not take the offer, I did remember I got a call from a Military base in Columbia SC and they asked me if I wanted to join, I was shocked because I never applied for Army or even anything related to them, and at that time I was like, I am not even US citizen how can I even join Army, but the guy told me I can once my naturalization process is started, and he even said that working for army will hasten the process, but I was like nah i am not a military guy. I just like reading about Military stuff but don't want to join it.

About Norfolk I figured because most of technical jobs somehow connects to the huge base, and they have jobs even in Administration and technical filed but it requires some sort/level of clearance, and now hearing from you I will just pass this and probably look more towards Richmond in Future. For me boring Administrative/IT jobs are ok not a fan of working in strict environment anyway. But I won't lie, the thought of working in Lockheed Martin was so cool, the fighter plane I saw since childhood fly over my house, but never saw it up close imagine working and help build it there :D but I also understand how sensitive such jobs or places are so I will just stick to normal boring jobs :)
Wow, they reverted to cold calling people?? That's new low for the military.....

Yeah, you can join the Military with a GC, but there are a lot of things you cannot do, mostly grunt works. So unless those are the job you fancy, it really wouldn't make sense.

As for security clearance, you don't go apply for one, if your job need you to have 1, they will sponsor you, which mean what you do is just go where they tell you to go and talk to whoever they want you to talk to. And if they give you the clearance you will have them, if not for whatever reason your job offer will also be rescinded.

If you want admin/IT job, you need to move to a big town center. Not sure how competitive you are, Tampa probably not a good place for you, I will probably go East to New York (or surrounding area) or DC or go West to San Francisco

Wow, they reverted to cold calling people?? That's new low for the military.....

Yeah, you can join the Military with a GC, but there are a lot of things you cannot do, mostly grunt works. So unless those are the job you fancy, it really wouldn't make sense.

As for security clearance, you don't go apply for one, if your job need you to have 1, they will sponsor you, which mean what you do is just go where they tell you to go and talk to whoever they want you to talk to. And if they give you the clearance you will have them, if not for whatever reason your job offer will also be rescinded.

If you want admin/IT job, you need to move to a big town center. Not sure how competitive you are, Tampa probably not a good place for you, I will probably go East to New York (or surrounding area) or DC or go West to San Francisco
yeah I woke up to them calling me, and I heard from someone calling from a base in Columbia, I was like :o: ? Mission is not even started and Military got hold of me haha. But yeah I had to turn him down but I had to admit Army does offer high pay, help pay off student debt(which I did not have), help with naturalization etc, I mean these are some shinny and juicy incentive they offer. Nah I am to chicken for Guns or be around guns, Guns are only for Video games for me, I might down the line would try to get license for a small pistol but I might talk myself out of it as well.

I do get this a lot, I really don't want to go California, that state is not doing the best specially when it comes to crimes, and NY is expensive as hell. I might remain in the southern belt for sometime, probably look around Florida/Virginia/Carolina's/Tennessee, I must admit I get few offers from Minneapolis MN, but when I looked at weather over there, even the higher pay did not lure me to go to that area, A friend/Co-worker who moved from Texas told me to look there, specially Dallas and Austin, and a supervisor moved from Washington state, Seattle area. He showed me pics of the area, man what a beautiful place. Honestly it was more beautiful than Tennessee for me. But that is literally the edge of US, going there without proper planning could be bad. But I am good for now, few years I will just look for opportunity until find the right one in the right city.

yeah I woke up to them calling me, and I heard from someone calling from a base in Columbia, I was like :o: ? Mission is not even started and Military got hold of me haha. But yeah I had to turn him down but I had to admit Army does offer high pay, help pay off student debt(which I did not have), help with naturalization etc, I mean these are some shinny and juicy incentive they offer. Nah I am to chicken for Guns or be around guns, Guns are only for Video games for me, I might down the line would try to get license for a small pistol but I might talk myself out of it as well.

I do get this a lot, I really don't want to go California, that state is not doing the best specially when it comes to crimes, and NY is expensive as hell. I might remain in the southern belt for sometime, probably look around Florida/Virginia/Carolina's/Tennessee, I must admit I get few offers from Minneapolis MN, but when I looked at weather over there, even the higher pay did not lure me to go to that area, A friend/Co-worker who moved from Texas told me to look there, specially Dallas and Austin, and a supervisor moved from Washington state, Seattle area. He showed me pics of the area, man what a beautiful place. Honestly it was more beautiful than Tennessee for me. But that is literally the edge of US, going there without proper planning could be bad. But I am good for now, few years I will just look for opportunity until find the right one in the right city.
lol, Army offer high pay?? You are probably the first one I know who said that.....

Army paygrade is low. They are about 75% of normal job rate. Say for a grunt, you can probably make around 2600 a month working on low end job (like car wash, working in a restaurant) they pay 2100 a month in the military, sure a lot of those money are tax free and you get benefit like Base Housing or Canteen (You still have to pay for your meal tho) but those aren't really compensate for the job you have to do.

When I first get my commission, I earn around 3500 as a college graduate. I can probably find a job that pay a thousand more outside, but like you said, you don't pay student debt when you join, that's why I got involved in.

Planning is good, but mostly you need to know what you are getting into. Well, you can get an office job everywhere just how much of a job offer you get in your area. If scenery or weather is a factor for you, then Mid-West state probably have the best scenery (Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma) and mile to cold weather, The more south you go (Texas, New Mexico and Southern California) the hotter it gets, and unless you can stand the cold, Northern State (like Washington, Illinois, Minnesota is really not ideal, unless you are willing to shovel snow every other day during winter.....

And I don't believe you need a license to get a firearms in FL, you can just go get one using your GC. But don't bring it to another state unless you know you can, some state require transit permit, some don't, leave your firearms at home is probably the best way to own one.

lol, Army offer high pay?? You are probably the first one I know who said that.....

Army paygrade is low. They are about 75% of normal job rate. Say for a grunt, you can probably make around 2600 a month working on low end job (like car wash, working in a restaurant) they pay 2100 a month in the military, sure a lot of those money are tax free and you get benefit like Base Housing or Canteen (You still have to pay for your meal tho) but those aren't really compensate for the job you have to do.

When I first get my commission, I earn around 3500 as a college graduate. I can probably find a job that pay a thousand more outside, but like you said, you don't pay student debt when you join, that's why I got involved in.

Planning is good, but mostly you need to know what you are getting into. Well, you can get an office job everywhere just how much of a job offer you get in your area. If scenery or weather is a factor for you, then Mid-West state probably have the best scenery (Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma) and mile to cold weather, The more south you go (Texas, New Mexico and Southern California) the hotter it gets, and unless you can stand the cold, Northern State (like Washington, Illinois, Minnesota is really not ideal, unless you are willing to shovel snow every other day during winter.....

And I don't believe you need a license to get a firearms in FL, you can just go get one using your GC. But don't bring it to another state unless you know you can, some state require transit permit, some don't, leave your firearms at home is probably the best way to own one.
I honestly remember he gave me a yearly estimated Pay, but I told him that its not about money. I don't want to say he was desperate but I think he was just telling me perks of joining the Armed forces. And I only been to 3 countries in my life and experience of Army people were literally so different, In Pakistan they are powerful and loved, they can get away with a lot of small crimes like breaking traffic signals or Parking in no Parking area (both examples I saw it happen), I visited UAE and saw Military guys there driving Ferrari and Lamborghini's and I was like :( I want to join UAE armed forces lol and last was America and I just got to USA i am still learning about this country from personal experience , whatever you hear from me is what I experience personally so its not like someone told me or xyz uncle said it. But you are right incentives are good with army, I have couple of friends who have 70k student debt, I was damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn for someone like that, that offer does looks attractive.

I agree, Planning is key when it comes to moving or even making a move in America, I don't like the fact how big America is but also I love that about America is, if South Carolina is not working for you than move to other state , and another etc you have 50 states to pick up from and each one of them has its own unique experience. Personally for me I want to stay away from extreme cold, I can handle heat as I lived most of my life in Karachi and its weather sucks. Florida, people say its hot and it is but every now and then you get rain and clouds and heavy wind, In Karachi you have Florida like heat with no rain or wind+ electricity outages :( I like the East coast weather or even the Carolina's, or Virginia. You have every thing from summers , Rain , Snow and beaches. The biggest factor for me is Muslim population because of Food and community, I don't want to celebrate Eid alone, or drive 2 hours just to get Halal chicken, I like Tampa because they have Mosques, Halal restaurants, butcher shops and even Islamic schools. I went to one of the Tampa's Islamic center on EID prayers and it feel good, last year I was in SC countryside where there is no mosque in sight for hours. There is another important factor which I had to keep in mind is a large International Air port, I remember when I was come from Karachi, I took Turkish Airline and it fly from Istanbul to Atlanta from where my in Laws pick me up, and I remember trying to get flight to Columbia SC or Greenville but the flight schedule was horrible due to stays, and the same logic applies if in future my parents wants to visit me, I want them to have a non stop flight, where they don't have to change planes or airports, so that is also important.

Nah, I am not actively looking for a gun, not for a long time although my cousin who live close to Atlanta owns one, he also told me to get down the line if I plan on living in SC. I will think about it when I am bit more stable and settle in Life, and I don't want to just buy a gun, I want someone with experience to teach me how to handle and respect the weapon, its no joke and it can save life and also take lives, I am in no hurry for now.

I honestly remember he gave me a yearly estimated Pay, but I told him that its not about money. I don't want to say he was desperate but I think he was just telling me perks of joining the Armed forces. And I only been to 3 countries in my life and experience of Army people were literally so different, In Pakistan they are powerful and loved, they can get away with a lot of small crimes like breaking traffic signals or Parking in no Parking area (both examples I saw it happen), I visited UAE and saw Military guys there driving Ferrari and Lamborghini's and I was like :( I want to join UAE armed forces lol and last was America and I just got to USA i am still learning about this country from personal experience , whatever you hear from me is what I experience personally so its not like someone told me or xyz uncle said it. But you are right incentives are good with army, I have couple of friends who have 70k student debt, I was damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn for someone like that, that offer does looks attractive.

I agree, Planning is key when it comes to moving or even making a move in America, I don't like the fact how big America is but also I love that about America is, if South Carolina is not working for you than move to other state , and another etc you have 50 states to pick up from and each one of them has its own unique experience. Personally for me I want to stay away from extreme cold, I can handle heat as I lived most of my life in Karachi and its weather sucks. Florida, people say its hot and it is but every now and then you get rain and clouds and heavy wind, In Karachi you have Florida like heat with no rain or wind+ electricity outages :( I like the East coast weather or even the Carolina's, or Virginia. You have every thing from summers , Rain , Snow and beaches. The biggest factor for me is Muslim population because of Food and community, I don't want to celebrate Eid alone, or drive 2 hours just to get Halal chicken, I like Tampa because they have Mosques, Halal restaurants, butcher shops and even Islamic schools. I went to one of the Tampa's Islamic center on EID prayers and it feel good, last year I was in SC countryside where there is no mosque in sight for hours. There is another important factor which I had to keep in mind is a large International Air port, I remember when I was come from Karachi, I took Turkish Airline and it fly from Istanbul to Atlanta from where my in Laws pick me up, and I remember trying to get flight to Columbia SC or Greenville but the flight schedule was horrible due to stays, and the same logic applies if in future my parents wants to visit me, I want them to have a non stop flight, where they don't have to change planes or airports, so that is also important.

Nah, I am not actively looking for a gun, not for a long time although my cousin who live close to Atlanta owns one, he also told me to get down the line if I plan on living in SC. I will think about it when I am bit more stable and settle in Life, and I don't want to just buy a gun, I want someone with experience to teach me how to handle and respect the weapon, its no joke and it can save life and also take lives, I am in no hurry for now.
lol, same thing when I move to Australia, I walk pass a local recruitment stall in one of the mall and got curious, they are paying 50k a year (around 40K US) for a private and around 70k a year for an officer and I was like "Hot damn, I joined the wrong Military"......I think it depends on what you think is a lot of money, assuming the recruiting guy did not lie to you, you may think 25k a year mostly tax free is a lot, but if money is your motivation, you probably better off with one of those private company, they pay much better in the US than the Military, they actually did that so they weed out people who join solely motivated by money, so the put the salary base extremely low, means you have to like being in the Military instead of doing this for money to join. But GI Bill is very temping tho, again, that's why I joined.

If religious reason is a consideration, you really should think of Michigan, there are a lot of Muslim in Michigan, I think the biggest Mosque in the US is in Dearborn. I will expect Muslim population isn't very big down South, some of these southern folks are extremely racist and you may find it uncomfortable to live in the Southern US.

As for International Airport, there aren't many choice, IIRC, only Dallas-Fort Worth, LAX, Atlanta, JFK and Newark have international flight, there may be some cheap low cost flying into US with different international terminal, but if you want International Travel, you probably need to stay close to those city, or took connected flight.

Guns is good to have, but you will need training and you need to understand the responsibility, not going to introduce you to gun culture in the US, but as the old saying goes, better to have something you don't use, rather than don't have something you need. If I am going back to the US, I am happy to teach you a things or two about handing a firearm :) But whether to get one is up to you.

White, brown, viet Yankees still has times here trolling, looool. Do something for US women and gun control.

lol, same thing when I move to Australia, I walk pass a local recruitment stall in one of the mall and got curious, they are paying 50k a year (around 40K US) for a private and around 70k a year for an officer and I was like "Hot damn, I joined the wrong Military"......I think it depends on what you think is a lot of money, assuming the recruiting guy did not lie to you, you may think 25k a year mostly tax free is a lot, but if money is your motivation, you probably better off with one of those private company, they pay much better in the US than the Military, they actually did that so they weed out people who join solely motivated by money, so the put the salary base extremely low, means you have to like being in the Military instead of doing this for money to join. But GI Bill is very temping tho, again, that's why I joined.

If religious reason is a consideration, you really should think of Michigan, there are a lot of Muslim in Michigan, I think the biggest Mosque in the US is in Dearborn. I will expect Muslim population isn't very big down South, some of these southern folks are extremely racist and you may find it uncomfortable to live in the Southern US.

As for International Airport, there aren't many choice, IIRC, only Dallas-Fort Worth, LAX, Atlanta, JFK and Newark have international flight, there may be some cheap low cost flying into US with different international terminal, but if you want International Travel, you probably need to stay close to those city, or took connected flight.

Guns is good to have, but you will need training and you need to understand the responsibility, not going to introduce you to gun culture in the US, but as the old saying goes, better to have something you don't use, rather than don't have something you need. If I am going back to the US, I am happy to teach you a things or two about handing a firearm :) But whether to get one is up to you.
If my my memory is working right, it was around 50K annual that he told me, I could be wrong but I remember one thing that, that time I was looking for jobs within the range of 50-60K annual and after the call I joked to my wife that I got job offer from Army with the Salary I am looking for and my wife got serious haha. If i was a fan and enthusiast of Army even 30-40K would be no issue for me, but thing is by no means I am a Army guy Plus as I said I just want a boring life with a boring decent pay job.

I was told about Michigan and Houston, these two cities are always come up when I am talking to some brown guy about moving close to community, but I would not go to Michigan due to Crime issue, my uncle who moved to Canada told me to stay away from Michigan and Detroit, not that I would listen to his advice if I get a good offer but going so far north for same salary or little bit raise I will not take that risk for now. That kinda depends of where you go in South, Atlanta comes in South and close to Atlanta I saw many brown people, Mosques, stores and restaurants, there are places where you feel like you are walking in India or Pakistan. But Prices of homes/rent around Atlanta is going so high just as here in Tampa. I will be honest, I lived in SC countryside for over a year among the red necks, I did not feel that much uncomfortable, yes there was lack of mosques, food but if that wasn't the issue SC is not a bad place, specially cities like Greenville/Irmo. Charlotte is also a good place, Augusta GA as well.

Yes for the Airport situation that has to be looked into, Atlanta is good city with Intl Airport and so is Houston, but for now I will just move where my career takes me. Connecting flights can be horrible, I remember when my wife first came to Pakistan her Flight was from Atlanta to JFK then she stayed JFK for 5-6 hours, then from JFK to Abu Dhabi, there she had 11 hour stay, thank God at that time my brother and his wife was living in Abu Dhabi or else she would have to stay in hotel/airport for 11 hours.

Well maybe in future if I do find someone (Professional) to teach me stuff about hand gun, than I would be glad to first practice on their gun but won't purchase my own, I also believe that buying a gun is one thing but also making sure its secured in your house is also important, I do know some stuff like always keep the gun unloaded, never point a gun (even empty) at anyone or yourself as joke or fun thing, clean it time to time, practice shots must be done in designated areas for shooting practice, always tell the cop about the gun (if you are carrying it) and show them papers etc. I know this but again Personally I think I need to first be around someone who is professional with guns to get myself familiar and take my fear and uncomfortable feeling out of me, then I might think of buying a gun.

Back
Top Bottom