What's new

Oerlikon 35mm: Stalwart of Pakistan Air Defence

I did not know that Pakistan had so many Oerlikons in inventory.

Actually the Turkish upgrade program for her oerlikons may be a good solution for Pakistan too.

Turkish Aselsan is developing the tracking and firecontrol radar for the new upgrade setup:
1489.gif

While MKEK is developing programmable fuzed ammunition (similar to the AHEAD ammunition)

but what alternative aircart guns pakistan can by other than this old system it is hard to found anti aircraft guns these days on net as missiles are arrived in air defence system which have better accuracy than these guns and defence for themselves

Pakistan is using the GDF-005 version which is quite capable, highly digitized, upgraded with Skyguard Radar and AHEAD capable. Remember the 2007 controversy when Switzerland refused to give these guns because of emergency imposed in Pakistan? It was this upgrade fellows ! All our systems are upgraded with 005 version having new computers, electronics, new 3D computer, fully automated, AHEAD missile capable and fill a very effective short range AAA role.

Despite all the above, for skeptics, please search the most successful AAA systems in post WW2 era and you will find GDF series among the top 5 and this is because of the effectiveness of the system. We have different options for higher ranges which includes recently inducted SPADA 2000 SAM system.

Hi,

when Zia asked the americans to get the swiss allow the sale of the oerlikans to afg mujahideens---the swiss were skeptic as to who the end user would be.

According to the swiss---it was too fine a weapons systems to be carried around from one plce to the other on the back of a donkey to do the job for the afg muj against the russian aircraft---they knew it was meant for pak millitary but could not hold on to the pressure from the u s.

Give credit to the pak army for knowing and trying their best to get the right equipment.

Hi,

when Zia asked the americans to get the swiss allow the sale of the oerlikans to afg mujahideens---the swiss were skeptic as to who the end user would be.

According to the swiss---it was too fine a weapons systems to be carried around from one plce to the other on the back of a donkey to do the job for the afg muj against the russian aircraft---they knew it was meant for pak millitary but could not hold on to the pressure from the u s.

Give credit to the pak army for knowing and trying their best to get the right equipment.

Sir, what was asked for the Mujaheddin were the 20mm version of the gun, which i believe were supplied also, which are manual fired.

Pakistan got the 35mm version separately for its needs and the automated version.

Don't think the PA was after the 20mm version and that also in such low numbers.

Hi Nutuk. we don't have so many, just few.

Hi MK, those were bought by Musharraf.

This is not good ....
:tdown:

Garbage , useless , this is good for may be UAV or Helicopters or
unsuspecting planes flying low

NOT useful against anything else

Now if these can be controlled or synchronized by a computer collection of 10-20 systems together in different location it might have use but ... very old

Need something new ...

Have you seen this thing firing?

It's first burst, first hit.

I heared it on news ....But the thing is what do we have for High altitude . For medium range we got SPADA. But nothing for High altitude. This is awesome gun no doubt but the world is getting digitalized so should we.

Hi Nutuk. we don't have so many, just few.

Hi MK, those were bought by Musharraf.

Well how many does Pakistan have?
Although airdefence gun use has become obsolete with the new upgrade programs with new tracking & firecontrol radar + the use of AHEAD ammunition, these systems become a valuable CIWS for protection of valuable assets against incomming missiles.

Turkish upgrade program of the Oerlikon guns is such that one control unit with Tracking & FCS radar will be paired with 2 or 3 oerlikon guns. The guns will be modified to use AHEAD ammunition. A similar setup to the skyshield.

I heared it on news ....But the thing is what do we have for High altitude . For medium range we got SPADA. But nothing for High altitude. This is awesome gun no doubt but the world is getting digitalized so should we.

we have HQ-2, i kno it sounds old but its pretty good specially if u look at its kill history!!!

and btw we can upgrade these into ft-2000a...
which is a pretty advance system!
here is a link check it out!
MissileThreat :: Hongqi-2 (HQ-2)

pakistan does have AHEAD system....about 60 of them are fotted with AHEAD

I remember when it was inducted and my father's unit officers were very excited and used to say how prized this amazing weapon was. Apparently officers manned the computerised part of this AA but I never got to see in person except the usual Chinese 37mm etc
although I have noticed them while travelling from Azad Kashmir to Islamabad via Kahuta.

I think the time for heavy air defence guns is gone.. only see them in the museum or in front of the cops HQs or officers Mess.. but back in the late 70s I vaguely remember seeing them while my father was in 5 Artillery Brigade in Kharian those single barrel behemoths were an awesome sight for me at an early age when the imaginations run wild. They seemed like the sawed off versions of the big coal chimneys. I was told that they were automatic & radar operated (I hope I am not mixing these with something else).

Like people here I always wondered if we had anything bigger than the 37mm twin barrel Chinese AAK AAK guns and then seeing them naturally the question arose why there was nothing new on the same heavy calibre level. Clearly , the SAM systems had completely taken over the higher altitude defence from the heavy anti aircraft guns so there were none to be seen in the modern era.

I think you might still see them in the Artillery school Noshehra too. These were strange sight for me whenever I saw them back in the 80s in front of Artillery/ Air defence related HQ’s & officer messes.

its a British 3.7 inch (94 MM) QF AA

flickr-3558172815-original.jpg

One interesting fact about air defence guns is when you see the Anti Air defence batteries deployed at the airports and other major/ vital installations where they are not normally seen then it is a clue that a major conflict it at hand.

Recall the 2001-2002 stand off between Indian & Pakistan when India threatened to retaliate after the Indian Lok Sabah terrorist attack and started amassing its troops in aggressive formations along the Kashmir and Pakistani borders. Pakistan responded in kind and outpaced Indian deployment resulting in eventual Indian withdrawal. All foreign airlines cancelled their flights in and out of Pakistan and you could see our air defence guns dug in along the airport runways.
As it happens they are also the last of the defenders when the enemy’s aerial bombardment has rendered all runways inoperable.
The pictures of the German gunners with their eyes peeled to the skies springs to the mind while their last stand in Berlin when both Allies & Soviets were pacing to claim more Germany than the other side.

2cm_Flak_Luftwaffe_boys-px800.jpg

Brigadier Siddiq Salik (DG ISPR during Gen Zia) mentions our air defence gunners making the last stand after the continuous IAF bombardment denied out air force from flying for the major part of the 71 war. Following picture is just a depiction as not much survives from Pakistani side of the story in Eastern Pakistan

1965-war-pakistan09.jpg

Following interesting article is an interesting read regarding the evolution of the air defence concepts & doctrines for all those asking about the absence of anti aircraft guns for higher altitude air defence
It talks about how the (SAM) missiles replaced the heavy Anti aircraft guns are became the primary weapons for higher altitude air defence from the surface based AA.

Post-war analysis demonstrated that even with newest anti-aircraft systems employed by both sides, the vast majority of bombers reached their targets successfully, on the order of 90%. This was bad enough during the war, but the introduction of the nuclear bomb upset things considerably. Now even a single bomber reaching the target would be unacceptable.

The developments during World War II continued for a short time into the post-war period as well. In particular the US Army set up a huge air defence network around its larger cities based on radar-guided 90 mm and 120 mm guns. But, given the general lack of success of guns against even propeller bombers, it was clear that any defence was going to have to rely almost entirely on interceptor aircraft. Despite this, US efforts continued into the 1950s with the 75 mm Skysweeper system, an almost fully automated system including the radar, computers, power, and auto-loading gun on a single powered platform. The Skysweeper replaced all smaller guns then in use in the Army, notably the 40 mm Bofors.

Things changed with the introduction of the guided missile. Although Germany had been desperate to introduce them during the war, none were ready for service, and British countermeasures were likely to defeat them even if they were. With a few years of development, however, these systems started to mature into practical weapons. The US started an upgrade of their defenses using the Nike Ajax missile, and soon the larger anti-aircraft guns disappeared. The same thing occurred in the USSR after the introduction of their SA-2 Guideline systems.

As this process continued, the missile found itself being used for more and more of the roles formerly filled by guns. First to go were the large weapons, replaced by equally large missile systems of much higher performance. Smaller missiles soon followed, eventually becoming small enough to be mounted on armored cars and tank chassis. These started replacing, or at least supplanting, similar gun-based SPAAG systems in the 1960s, and by the 1990s had replaced almost all such systems in modern armies. Man-portable missiles, MANPADs as they are known today, were introduced in the 1960s and have supplanted or even replaced even the smallest guns in most advanced armies.

In the 1982 Falklands War, the Argentine armed forces deployed the at the time newest west-European weapons as the Oerlikon GDF-002 35 mm twin cannon and SAM Roland whilst the British forces uses the brand new FIM-92 Stinger. Both sides also uses the Blowpipe missile.

During the 2008 South Ossetia war air power faced off against SAM systems, like the Buk-M1, which was developed in the 1980s.

Back
Top Bottom