What's new

Obama cancels meeting with Duterte

*Shrug* I'm sure Duterte would rather do something else than spend x amount of minutes talking about human rights issues. Hey maybe in the same meeting they can talk about all the extrajudicial killings police have been making in the states? Heck maybe even just talk about the stuff happening in Chicago. Obama was definitely wronged here and it was quite un-presidential by Duterte. But the reality is, who on Earth is Obama or any American in general to incessantly question anyone about human rights? If people focused more on that rather than be butthurt by a swear word that would be awesome.

ps. The whole context of how the word was used has been skewered way too much.
The word used "putangina" is translated as son of a whore.
In the PH when the word is used, despite it having a different literal translation has the same bearing/effect as someone in North America saying FFS.

I think he has every right to ask the question, and Duterte has the right to say its the will of the people. If Obama asks it 5 times, Duterte can reply that way 5 times. If Obama says it goes against the Filipino constitution, then that's a genuine concern that Duterte should address one way or another. Duterte should be intelligent enough to take those sorts of questions, or be able to deflect them while maintaining appearances (should be is the key word here, I don't think he actually is).

We aren't expecting the Philippines to do anything that we aren't doing ourselves when it comes to taking criticism and advice, we receive it constantly as well.

As it is he just looks unintelligent and thuggish.

If that is what he meant with the curse, as a general exclamation, then it still is on him. As the leader of his country, he has extra responsibility, and is held responsible for what other people hear whatever he meant. He was flinging curses that, when translated to English, sound like he is calling Obama a son of a whore. Whatever the colloquial meaning it shouldn't be a surprise when English media picks it up and runs with it. That's why Leaders have to be careful of what they say, because it has consequences and can cause international incidents.

In this respect Duterte reminds me alot of Trump, in the way he seems to have no control over what comes out of his mouth. Not a good trait in a leader.

In this respect Duterte reminds me alot of Trump, in the way he seems to have no control over what comes out of his mouth. Not a good trait in a leader.

Nonetheless, Trump is rather electable.

People like bold looking leaders. Even your Modi owes his popularity partly to his being bold and brash from his early days as Gujarat admin.

It seems to be a good trait.

Besides, what Duterte says is more important than what he does.

Sarkozy had called Netenyahu a liar and Obama had agreed with him -- only to find later that the conversation was audible.

Last edited:
Funny thing is that after Philippines president called Obama son of a whore , Obama actually paused to think over it before canceling the meeting ... whatever side you may be on you just have to see the funny side of this ... :rofl:

For local consumption it works fine, but for international politics this could be a blunder for Ph.

I think he has every right to ask the question, and Duterte has the right to say its the will of the people. If Obama asks it 5 times, Duterte can reply that way 5 times. If Obama says it goes against the Filipino constitution, then that's a genuine concern that Duterte should address one way or another. Duterte should be intelligent enough to take those sorts of questions, or be able to deflect them while maintaining appearances (should be is the key word here, I don't think he actually is).

We aren't expecting the Philippines to do anything that we aren't doing ourselves when it comes to taking criticism and advice, we receive it constantly as well.

As it is he just looks unintelligent and thuggish.

If that is what he meant with the curse, as a general exclamation, then it still is on him. As the leader of his country, he has extra responsibility, and is held responsible for what other people hear whatever he meant. He was flinging curses that, when translated to English, sound like he is calling Obama a son of a whore. Whatever the colloquial meaning it shouldn't be a surprise when English media picks it up and runs with it. That's why Leaders have to be careful of what they say, because it has consequences and can cause international incidents.

No one can every deny that Duterte, like Trump has a similar penchant for provocative statements. But that's where that comparison ends. Both are on opposite ends of the political spectrum. One is a bigot who has openly slandered one underprivileged minority after other, while showing little appreciation of the complexities of 21st century global politics. In contrast, Duterte embraces his Muslim and Christian roots and boasts decades of experience in an actual political realm. Leaders do have to be careful about what they say, but at the same time context is just as important especially when its misinterpreted and overblown by the media. At the end of the day Obama wanted to talk about the war on drugs and its human rights issues. As for Duterte himself, thats his base among his core supporters so for him to be lectured, it was a non starter to begin with. If Obama wanted to talk about anything else I'm sure they would have still had that meeting and reconciled their differences.

Last edited:
the chinese who are supporting him will be for a nasty surprise... the Duterte is a loud mouth and its only matter of time that he calls Xi son of a whore... does not have to be human rights issue.. may be some other issue...

the chinese who are supporting him will be for a nasty surprise... the Duterte is a loud mouth and its only matter of time that he calls Xi son of a whore... does not have to be human rights issue.. may be some other issue...
To be fair it is normal for him at this point he has made such statements for quite a few world leaders.

To be fair it is normal for him at this point he has made such statements for quite a few world leaders.
I would be embarrassed of Modi uses such gutter language... this is lowest of the low...
There is other way to express your displeasure.

I would be embarrassed of Modi uses such gutter language... this is lowest of the low...
Thing is in our politics it would be a disaster for either side to use such language considering both side like to portray themselves to be family or societally oriented. I guess it is just a difference in view for Ph. and IN.

Duterte says he will not allow any country to interfere in Philippine internal affairs

(Xinhua) September 05, 2016

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Monday that the United States has no moral authority to give him a lecture on humans rights, warning he will not allow any country to interfere in Philippine internal affairs.

Duterte was reacting to a question that U.S. President Barack Obama might raise the issue of alleged extrajudicial killings in the Philippines during the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and related summits this week in Vientiane, Laos.

"I do not want to pick a quarrel with Obama but certainly I would not appear to be beholden to anybody," Duterte told a news conference in Davao City in southern Philippines before leaving for Laos.

Duterte also slammed the U.S. for its human rights records in the past when it colonized the Philippines.

He said Obama must be careful of what issues that he raises at the summit.

Duterte is getting criticism for the mounting number of victims in killings of people allegedly involved in illicit drugs.

However, he said the campaign against illegal drugs will continue in spite of the criticism.

Philippine military and police continued to investigate a deadly blast that hit Duterte's hometown Davao City on Friday night. The attack claimed the lives of 14 people and injured almost 70 others.

Duterte vowed to remain firm in the resolve to combat terrorism.

Back
Top Bottom