What's new

Obama cancels meeting with Duterte

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rodrigo-duterte-son-of-a-bitch_us_57cd7f45e4b0e60d31dfa6d4
Obama Cancels Meeting With Philippine President Who Called Him A ‘Son Of A B****’

“I don’t give a s**t about anybody observing my behavior,” President Rodrigo Duterte said.
09/05/2016 01:08 pm ET|Updated3 hours ago

Kim BellwareReporter, The Huffington Post
Barack Obamahascanceleda scheduled meeting with new Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte after the obscenity-prone leader threatened Monday to make a scene at a regional summit in Laos if Obama challenged him on his country’s policy of summary executions.

“Son of a bitch, I will swear at you,”Duterte warned,according to The Associated Press.

The heated response was prompted by a reporter who asked Duterte how he would explain the extrajudicial killings that have soared in the island country of nearly 100 million people in the two months since he took office.

“I am a president of a sovereign state and we have long ceased to be a colony. I don’t have any master except the Filipino people, nobody but nobody. You must be respectful. Do not just throw away questions. Putang ina, I will swear at you in that forum,” he said, using a Tagalog phrase to insult Obama.

Before calling off the meeting scheduled for Tuesday, Obama initially downplayed the Philippine president’s aggressive words.

“I’ve seen some of those colorful statements in the past. And clearly he’s a colorful guy,” he said Monday.

But Obama also hinted that he would, in fact, question the policy on extrajudicial killings “if and when” it comes to the table at the
Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit this week.

“We recognize the significant burden that the drug trade plays not just in the Philippines but around the world, and fighting narcotrafficking is tough,” Obama told reporters at theG20 Summit. “But we will always assert the need to have due process and to engage in that fight against drugs in a way that’s consistent with basic international norms.”

Since taking office on June 30, Duterte has launched an aggressive but simple campaign against suspected drug dealers and traffickers in his country:“Kill them all.”

In the Philippines,hundreds of dead bodieshave turned up on the streets, sometimes with crudely written notes of the person’s alleged crime, Public Radio International reported in August.

Philippine National Police chief Ronald dela Rosa disclosed thatmore than 1,700 people have been killedsince July 1, according to Amnesty International.

Duterte since his inauguration has encouraged police “to double your efforts …triple them if need be,” and has applauded the street killings that human rights groups say amount to extrajudicial executions.

Duterte on Monday remained defiant in the face of criticism.

“We will continue and I will continue, and I don’t give a s**t about anybody observing my behavior,” he said.

This article has been updated with news that Obama canceled the meeting.
20160906104214168.jpg

Last edited:
Americans demand respect yet they all act like this when it doesn't go their way or when they are convinced that they are the victims. Both the dems and republicans act the same. Its nice to see someone stand up to imperialism for once.

Nicely put.

Rhetoric is important for immediate effect and, I guess Mr. Duterte knows this very well and likes to utilize the immediate effect factor to smooth the way for more concrete action.

Duterte is breaking down centuries old US imperialism and the inherent colonialized-mind situation by swearing at the "former colonizer."

Territorial disputes with CN put aside, this is, in the long term, good for the PH because it may revitalize the entire country. There is no development without a secure and just society. There is no peace without development. PH is now on the way to create a secure and just society.

If PH ever listened to the US regime's lecturing, it would stay in the present dependent and colonized conditions forever.

I believe, if it were Mr Duterte when a US soldier killed a PH national brutally, the situation would be quite different.

Opps he seems to be very irked at US non response on the south sea china resolution

I think it is good to see that Phil are killing these drug gangsters...There will be always some collateral damage in any operation..That does not mean, you should stop the killing of the drug peddlers.

This President Deterte, :disagree:, he's got balls, like a the mini Donald Trump.

Last edited:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rodrigo-duterte-son-of-a-bitch_us_57cd7f45e4b0e60d31dfa6d4

Obama Cancels Meeting With Philippine President Who Called Him A ‘Son Of A B****’

“I don’t give a s**t about anybody observing my behavior,” President Rodrigo Duterte said.
09/05/2016 01:08 pm ET|Updated3 hours ago

Kim BellwareReporter, The Huffington Post
Barack Obamahascanceleda scheduled meeting with new Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte after the obscenity-prone leader threatened Monday to make a scene at a regional summit in Laos if Obama challenged him on his country’s policy of summary executions.

“Son of a bitch, I will swear at you,”Duterte warned,according to The Associated Press.

The heated response was prompted by a reporter who asked Duterte how he would explain the extrajudicial killings that have soared in the island country of nearly 100 million people in the two months since he took office.

“I am a president of a sovereign state and we have long ceased to be a colony. I don’t have any master except the Filipino people, nobody but nobody. You must be respectful. Do not just throw away questions. Putang ina, I will swear at you in that forum,” he said, using a Tagalog phrase to insult Obama.

Before calling off the meeting scheduled for Tuesday, Obama initially downplayed the Philippine president’s aggressive words.

“I’ve seen some of those colorful statements in the past. And clearly he’s a colorful guy,” he said Monday.

But Obama also hinted that he would, in fact, question the policy on extrajudicial killings “if and when” it comes to the table at the
Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit this week.

“We recognize the significant burden that the drug trade plays not just in the Philippines but around the world, and fighting narcotrafficking is tough,” Obama told reporters at theG20 Summit. “But we will always assert the need to have due process and to engage in that fight against drugs in a way that’s consistent with basic international norms.”

Since taking office on June 30, Duterte has launched an aggressive but simple campaign against suspected drug dealers and traffickers in his country:“Kill them all.”

In the Philippines,hundreds of dead bodieshave turned up on the streets, sometimes with crudely written notes of the person’s alleged crime, Public Radio International reported in August.

Philippine National Police chief Ronald dela Rosa disclosed thatmore than 1,700 people have been killedsince July 1, according to Amnesty International.

Duterte since his inauguration has encouraged police “to double your efforts …triple them if need be,” and has applauded the street killings that human rights groups say amount to extrajudicial executions.

Duterte on Monday remained defiant in the face of criticism.

“We will continue and I will continue, and I don’t give a s**t about anybody observing my behavior,” he said.

This article has been updated with news that Obama canceled the meeting.

What wrong did he say ? :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom