What's new

NYPD seizes drone documenting mass Hart Island burials amid coronavirus

OIO

Reaction score
Country
China
download.jpeg

The NYPD seized the drone of a photojournalist documenting the mass burials on Hart Island amid the coronavirus crisis, according to a report.

Thousands of city residents have succumbed to COVID-19, creating a grim backlog of bodies in city morgues, hospitals and funeral homes.

Aerial photographer George Steinmetz, who has an FAA license to fly a drone, had launched the $1,500 device from a City Island parking lot Wednesday morning to film the somber work on Hart Island when he was suddenly stopped.

Just minutes after he began, Steinmetz was confronted by a group of plainclothes NYPD officers who stepped out of an unmarked van. The cops confiscated the drone and issued him a misdemeanor summons for “avigation,” an antiquated law prohibiting aircraft — including drones — from taking off or landing anywhere in New York City that isn’t an airport, the report said.

A frustrated Steinmetz posted to his Instagram: “For over 150 years this island with no public access has been used to bury over a million souls who’s bodies were not claimed for private burial. With the morgues of NYC strained, the pace of burials on Hart Island has increased dramatically. I was cited by NYPD while taking this photo, and my drone was confiscated as evidence, for a court date tentatively scheduled for mid-August. #keepthememorycard”

“These are humans, and they’re basically being treated like they’re toxic waste, like they’re radioactive,” Steinmetz told Gothamist. “I think it’s important.”

https://nypost.com/2020/04/18/nypd-...ng-mass-hart-island-burials-amid-coronavirus/

View attachment 625015

The NYPD seized the drone of a photojournalist documenting the mass burials on Hart Island amid the coronavirus crisis, according to a report.

Thousands of city residents have succumbed to COVID-19, creating a grim backlog of bodies in city morgues, hospitals and funeral homes.

Aerial photographer George Steinmetz, who has an FAA license to fly a drone, had launched the $1,500 device from a City Island parking lot Wednesday morning to film the somber work on Hart Island when he was suddenly stopped.

Just minutes after he began, Steinmetz was confronted by a group of plainclothes NYPD officers who stepped out of an unmarked van. The cops confiscated the drone and issued him a misdemeanor summons for “avigation,” an antiquated law prohibiting aircraft — including drones — from taking off or landing anywhere in New York City that isn’t an airport, the report said.

A frustrated Steinmetz posted to his Instagram: “For over 150 years this island with no public access has been used to bury over a million souls who’s bodies were not claimed for private burial. With the morgues of NYC strained, the pace of burials on Hart Island has increased dramatically. I was cited by NYPD while taking this photo, and my drone was confiscated as evidence, for a court date tentatively scheduled for mid-August. #keepthememorycard”

“These are humans, and they’re basically being treated like they’re toxic waste, like they’re radioactive,” Steinmetz told Gothamist. “I think it’s important.”

https://nypost.com/2020/04/18/nypd-...ng-mass-hart-island-burials-amid-coronavirus/

And when will China shows its mass burial sites?? Oh Hang on, its an Authoritarian country, it will only show LIVE people dancing on the streets with guns pointed to their heads. :lol:

And when will China shows its mass burial sites?? Oh Hang on, its an Authoritarian country, it will only show LIVE people dancing on the streets with guns pointed to their heads. :lol:

You have to do better than a authoritarian country then laugh at.

Nice propaganda..by pro plandemic state governor.This island has had the tradition of mass burials that goes way back in time and regularly sees mass burials of homeless people dying on footpaths of New York, ill people who die under state guardianship and criminals dying with no one left behind.

Last edited:
You have to do better than a authoritarian country then laugh at.

How many times are going to use this same image? You need to do better rather than copying this boring fake image posted months ago.:lol:

View attachment 625015

Back
Top Bottom