What's new

NY Times 2021 Places to Visit: Pakistan Made to the List!

Meengla

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Finally a Pakistani city made to the list! Keep trying guys!

Lahore, Pakistan
“Especially in winter, this city nourishes you. It opens its arms to you, then feeds you and wraps you in a hug.”

I was 18, and I hadn’t been back to Lahore for 12 years. It was winter. At the open-air Liberty Market, my mother and I wandered the stalls as cloth vendors unfurled bright bolts of fabric, beckoning us to come look. At dusk, with pashmina shawls wrapped around our shoulders, we devoured a bowl of spicy chicken karahi, using piping hot khamiri roti bread to wipe the bowl clean. The food practically sang as it made its way into our mouths.

Pakistan has a bad reputation, and is often overlooked by travelers who come to South Asia. But Lahoris are some of the kindest, most hospitable people. They love to take care of you and feed you. Lahore’s hot summers can feel oppressive, but in winter, in the cool dusk, lights twinkle in the fog. Androon Lahore, the city’s historic core, is studded with monuments from the Mughal era. I love to watch the Punjab locals feasting on terraces of restaurants overlooking the grand Badshahi Mosque — they are just regular people living their regular lives, and they are so alive in the present, while always connected to their past.

—HANEEN IQBAL

lahore-1-720.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom