What's new

NSA can turn on your computer's webcam and microphone!

iranigirl2

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
How the NSA Plans to Infect ‘Millions’ of Computers with Malware
nsa_malware_feature.jpg

The NSA has a diverse arsenal of malware tools, each highly sophisticated and customizable for different purposes.

One implant, codenamed UNITEDRAKE, can be used with a variety of “plug-ins” that enable the agency to gain total control of an infected computer.

An implant plug-in named CAPTIVATEDAUDIENCE, for example, is used to take over a targeted computer’s microphone and record conversations taking place near the device. Another, GUMFISH, can covertly take over a computer’s webcam and snap photographs. FOGGYBOTTOM records logs of Internet browsing histories and collects login details and passwords used to access websites and email accounts. GROK is used to log keystrokes. And SALVAGERABBIT exfiltrates data from removable flash drives that connect to an infected computer.

The implants can enable the NSA to circumvent privacy-enhancing encryption tools that are used to browse the Internet anonymously or scramble the contents of emails as they are being sent across networks. That’s because the NSA’s malware gives the agency unfettered access to a target’s computer before the user protects their communications with encryption.

It is unclear how many of the implants are being deployed on an annual basis or which variants of them are currently active in computer systems across the world.

Previous reports have alleged that the NSA worked with Israel to develop the Stuxnet malware, which was used to sabotage Iranian nuclear facilities. The agency also reportedly worked with Israel to deploy malware called Flame to infiltrate computers and spy on communications in countries across the Middle East.

According to the Snowden files, the technology has been used to seek out terror suspects as well as individuals regarded by the NSA as “extremist.” But the mandate of the NSA’s hackers is not limited to invading the systems of those who pose a threat to national security.

In one secret post on an internal message board, an operative from the NSA’s Signals Intelligence Directorate describes using malware attacks against systems administrators who work at foreign phone and Internet service providers. By hacking an administrator’s computer, the agency can gain covert access to communications that are processed by his company. “Sys admins are a means to an end,” the NSA operative writes.

How the NSA Plans to Infect 'Millions' of Computers with Malware - The Intercept

hammer-vpn.jpg

selectors-1024x768.png

Solution: put one of these on your webcam lens when not in use.

3b299a28fe638d3032230d3987903702.image.750x384.jpg

They spent all that money, just so they could listen to us sneezing?

No wonder they are going bankrupt.

I heard that NSA can also turn on the vacuum cleaners and swallow u. Thats why i locked my vacuum cleaner and dont come closer than 3 meters to the door.

really? I got a broken laptop I was thinking taking it to a shop, but now I'll just leave it and wait for the NSA. Hopefully the day is tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom