What's new

NSA Ajit Doval meets counterpart from Pakistan in Bangkok. Terror discussed

The public has NO role nor should it even be allowed to say much as they are generally stupid on both sides.
What is important is that the leadership decide where the sheep need to be moved forward, and these talks will ensure that.

The talks happening are simply the show of power play by your Army and letting the world know who is the boss there- similar things were agreed upon the agenda of talks after ufa- But somehow the media makes the PM a coward who buckled under pressure- and the former NSA is pressurized to bend under popular public opinion- Is then booted out and Military provides one of their own for the Job- does the same thing without even blinking-

One of the rare times that I can't disagree with the assertion by Congress.

"It's a grand betrayal. It's a betrayal of everything that this government has ostensibly, publicly espoused," Congress leader Manish Tewari said.

It is OK if the government had a consistent policy on engagement with Pakistan. Now as it turned out, it never had. It said one thing and did another. This is clear betrayal.

Actually people used to blive when BJP was opposing government actions about Pak talk. In reality government has very limited options.

I agree with you that running the government is very different from the positions taken when in opposition. The Congress is emulating the BJP for example. I get it that the government needs to talk & Modi did a good thing when he invited NS to India & then followed up with talks. I also believe that it was Pakistani cussedness which was the trouble.

However when you know that sooner or later you have to do this, there was no reason to go extreme. Kind of plays with the emotions of the people of India. Granted that this has been done by many governments before but kind of disappoints (should even if you are not a supporter) that this government is just another one doing the same. Atleast you knew what MMS's position was. True that Modi never talks on the issue but the BJP spokespersons could have been more moderate in the line that they were taking. From M.J. Akbar downwards, they feed the gullible.

It is OK if the government had a consistent policy on engagement with Pakistan. Now as it turned out, it never had. It said one thing and did another. This is clear betrayal.

It has a clear position, what was being sold to people was a different line. I was aware of reports that the PM's were talking off & on & wasn't in the least surprised that Modi & NS had a secret meeting (I believe Barkha Dutt, not the government denial), but when Sushma Swaraj made her recent comments both at a presser & at the UN, she took a line that clearly the government had no intention of holding. True that the Pakistanis took a similar stand while they were doing the opposite but that isn't our problem, it is that of the Pakistanis if they think of it that way. I fully understand the need for talks & support the attempt (even if I'm very sceptical of any positive outcome unless there is a change in PA's position) but this does leave a sour taste in the mouth.

I agree with you that running the government is very different from the positions taken when in opposition. The Congress is emulating the BJP for example. I get it that the government needs to talk & Modi did a good thing when he invited NS to India & then followed up with talks. I also believe that it was Pakistani cussedness which was the trouble.

However when you know that sooner or later you have to do this, there was no reason to go extreme. Kind of plays with the emotions of the people of India. Granted that this has been done by many governments before but kind of disappoints (should even if you are not a supporter) that this government is just another one doing the same. Atleast you knew what MMS's position was. True that Modi never talks on the issue but the BJP spokespersons could have been more moderate in the line that they were taking. From M.J. Akbar downwards, they feed the gullible.

It has a clear position, what was being sold to people was a different line. I was aware of reports that the PM's were talking off & on & wasn't in the least surprised that Modi & NS had a secret meeting (I believe Barkha Dutt, not the government denial), but when Sushma Swaraj made her recent comments both at a presser & at the UN, she took a line that clearly the government had no intention of holding. True that the Pakistanis took a similar stand while they were doing the opposite but that isn't our problem, it is that of the Pakistanis if they think of it that way. I fully understand the need for talks & support the attempt (even if I'm very sceptical of any positive outcome unless there is a change in PA's position) but this does leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Honestly...the whole jekyll and hyde behavior is something not required.

These are talks without pre-conditions. That means something completely different. It's talking on our terms.

If this leads to the BJP Govt bringing in Hafiz and some other people responsible for 26/11, that'll be a huge victory. Present scenario and no excuse environment all over the world for terrorism or terrorist ideologies is the appropriate moment for that.

I don't think these talks are going to be about the Kashmir peace nonsense, aman ki tamasha and Kashmiris milking both India and Pakistan dry. At-least that's what is clear to me from the article. If it is so, then I completely agree that it's a betrayal.

The Leadership should be blamed to a certain extent but we must look at the situation they face- Domestic media, coalition party system of forming Govt- rise of regional parties and caste divide have caused lack of political stability in decision making- in last 30 years- the Govts- take up 5 year goals instead of 10-20 years which is generally taken by countries like US or 50 years like China- and hence the inconsistent policy WRT Pakistan or any field for that matter take even defense-

I believe the current talk is more due to fear of rising ISIS and situation in Srinagar-

Public has all the role. In democracy, people elect the government. No government can go against the public opinion.
IF public had all the role, then Hitler was a popular leader. So essentially, you would be ok with Hitler?

IF public had all the role, then Hitler was a popular leader. So essentially, you would be ok with Hitler?

I am surprised when people like you equate Modi to Hitler. For all the faults that Modi has neither is Modi Hitler nor is Modi all that popular in India - Delhi and Bihar were examples- nor Modi wants to conquer the world. He wants to leave a legacy of his own in India, especially on India's profile across the world, but doing in his own way. Just because Pakistanis don't like him, you cannot equate him to Hitler.

Now even cricket match is re-started! Actually when u are in opposition u dont need to behave like a respected person that is why Sushma once asked UPA to bring 10 head now went to pak with matching green sari and came empty handed. That said, really BJP has a good chance to take any step for Ind-pak because even if they give little land people wouldnt mind because its nationalist party. Congress do not have this kind of support so its options are very limited.

Back
Top Bottom