What's new

NSA Ajit Doval meets counterpart from Pakistan in Bangkok. Terror discussed

NEW DELHI: India and Pakistan continue to have the power to surprise. Just when it appeared that the Narendra Modi government may have lost the narrative on Pakistan, the two governments managed to stop the slip sliding away of the bilateral relationship. The four-hour meeting in Bangkok on Sunday was fixed on Thursday.

Foreign secretary S Jaishankar joined NSA Ajit Doval on his return journey from Tokyo where he went to work on the India-Japan nuclear deal before Abe's visit here later this week.

There are five takeaways from the Bangkok meeting of the national security advisers Ajit Doval and Nasir Janjua, and foreign secretaries, S Jaishankar and Aizaz Ahmed:

First, both countries are done with their grandstanding, and after months of harsh rhetoric and a diplomatic sulk, they have come to the conclusion that engagement is the better part of valour. After a joint statement in Ufa which was rejected in Pakistan and started a bitter exchange on whether to hold NSA talks first, or foreign secretaries talks on the now discarded composite dialogue. The end was unnecessarily painful, aggravated by intense media pressure. It seemed India and Pakistan would go nowhere in the foreseeable future. The meeting in Paris between Narendra Modi and Nawaz Sharif, more scripted than an impromptu chat directed officials to continue the momentum by getting the official meetings under way before the week was out.

Second, both countries climbed down to make this happen. India needed talks to be on terrorism, which it was. Doval and Janjua discussed all aspects of terror and instability, including looking at the Kashmir issue from the terror angle. On the other hand, India gave in to a Pakistan demand to hold simultaneous FS talks on Kashmir. If after Ufa elements in the Indian side believed they could hold talks with Pakistan on terrorism without Kashmir, they no longer believe it. On Pakistan's side, they made up for their oversight in Ufa, but gave in to India's insistence on talks on terrorism.

Third, meeting in Bangkok overcomes the Hurriyat hurdle. The Pakistanis are spared the pressure of meeting the separatists and the Indians are spared the necessity of shutting that down.

Fourth, a third country keeps an intrusive, polarized and high decibel sub-continental media at bay. Over the years, successive Indian and Pakistani governments have blamed the media for vitiating the atmosphere and making things difficult for them. Through 2004-2007, back channel talks between Indian and Pak special envoys were held in Bangkok, Dubai etc worked only because they were quiet. Modi government has taken this further by holding official talks outside. In fact, in July, as Modi landed back in Delhi after Ufa, he was greeted with screaming headlines that already threatened the proposed talks. He was heard telling an official, "issey band karaiye." (Stop this kind of press coverage.)

Fifth, the talks prepares the ground for Sushma Swaraj's trip to Islamabad next week. Modi is now more than likely to be in Islamabad for the Saarc summit in 2016. In addition, India can remove the bilateral problem from the table when the world discusses a solution to Afghanistan.

Since Ufa, Pakistan army chief, Raheel Sharif removed Sartaj Aziz as NSA and put in his own man, Nasir Janjua on the job. Which is good for India because it means Doval would be talking directly to the powerful Pak army representative. This is important given the army's role in Pak foreign policy.

Source: Five takeaways from the meeting of India, Pakistan NSAs in Bangkok - The Times of India

Long time no see a well written article by TOI. :pleasantry:

India never said no to talks (including Kashmir). It asked Pakistan not to talk to separatists while talking to India. I guess this way its win-win for both!

I liked the concept of secret talks. Indo-Pak relation is such a sensitive issue that too much media hype won't let this NSA levels talk happened. Secret talks like this should happen more often to resolve all outstanding issues.

Furthermore,both Kashmir & Terror discussed. Finally Modi Govt got sense. This may be because of leg pulling by USA

How come Kashmir discussed; if Nawaz agreed without preconditions? I believe Kashmir was the preamble, Modi agreed with preamble, that's why talk happened

India Finally Gives in to accept broad base talks instead of terror exclusive, Modi's 56" Chest turns out Fake.

Its definitely a diplomatic success of current GOP.

I suppose you are viewing this meeting with a Pakistani view point- Let me make this clear the NSA of India can only talk about security issue which here would mean terrorism, cross border/LC firing, infiltration etc- Indian NSA is appointed by the elected so he/she cannot discuss any territorial dispute- I repeat only and only elected representative can discuss Kashmir issue- Which may include a state representative, a parliamentary delegation or any one from executive-

Its not like Pakistan here- :enjoy: So even If Pak NSA somehow doesn't know this which I very much doubt- the talk is useless and is falling on deaf ears- But yes they can facilitate talk by an elected representative from here and whosoever from Pakistan for talks on Kashmir-

Ajit Dovel requested his Pakistani counter part not to reveal evidences of Indian involvement in Balochistan on international Forums.
And did Pakistan agree? If so why? If not, I assume we are going to see these evidences ?

There was no reason for these talks. I am disappointed with Modi. What has changed? 26/11 terrorists are roaming freely in Pakistan. Pakistan policy of using terrorism as a state policy continue unabated.
To throw a bone and clear up housekeeping matters I would think.

Furthermore,both Kashmir & Terror discussed. Finally Modi Govt got sense. This may be because of leg pulling by USA

As already said by @Eminent Mainstream Media, the talks on J&K would be related to security issues only. The Indian NSA cannot discuss the political part of the issue since that is not in his remit. That would only fall under the purview of the MEA.

So Foreign secretary S Jaishankar was there to serve them tea

The Indian NSA does not talk formally about the political issue in Kashmir, the FS can talk to the Pakistan FS on that & other issues. The point was specific. The meeting in India which was cancelled did not have any MEA component which was why Pakistani insistence then to discuss Kashmir was going to go nowhere.

Now we have a right person (Janjua) to fight Ajit.

These kind of talks are what brought many a conflicting nations to fairly good and cordial relations.
The media on both sides is immature and reflects a similar mindset as seen on PDF.
The public has NO role nor should it even be allowed to say much as they are generally stupid on both sides.
What is important is that the leadership decide where the sheep need to be moved forward, and these talks will ensure that.

These kind of talks are what brought many a conflicting nations to fairly good and cordial relations.
The media on both sides is immature and reflects a similar mindset as seen on PDF.
The public has NO role nor should it even be allowed to say much as they are generally stupid on both sides.
What is important is that the leadership decide where the sheep need to be moved forward, and these talks will ensure that.

I think the idea to keep it secret was a good one...... But the element of surprise have been lost.... Hope further talks would also in same line..... Better to keep in a third country away from arnab's rajdeep's ( sorry dono the name's of their counterparts in pakistan)

Public has all the role. In democracy, people elect the government. No government can go against the public opinion.

As already said by @Eminent Mainstream Media, the talks on J&K would be related to security issues only. The Indian NSA cannot discuss the political part of the issue since that is not in his remit. That would only fall under the purview of the MEA.

While agreeing with your point on technical grounds.....but let us accept the fact that the current NSA and his role in Goi is much more than his predecessors, for example... He was sitting next to PM in london while they were meeting UK Pm...... and i could not see Sushama there (infact she was not included in the entire tour)... I wonder what was his role in that meeting...I do not see any direct or indirect security issue with UK

One of the rare times that I can't disagree with the assertion by Congress.

"It's a grand betrayal. It's a betrayal of everything that this government has ostensibly, publicly espoused," Congress leader Manish Tewari said.

Actually people used to blive when BJP was opposing government actions about Pak talk. In reality government has very limited options.

Back
Top Bottom