What's new

Nowroz

Naurooz origins probably date back to Zoroaster himself. However, it is known that Naurooz was celebrated as during Achmaenids times about 600 years before the Christian era.

Additionally some people associate Naurooz with the Shia Islam. Nothing can be further from the truth. Imam Abu Bakr Al- Bayhaqi, the renowned Shaafa'i scholar describes the lavish celebration of Naurooz at the Ghaznavid court. Moslem dynasties of the Indian subcontinent observed the Naurooz rites ardently and fully. Moghuls always celebrated Naurooz with great fervour. Lahore Fort celebrations of Naurooz during Akbar have been well recorded.

Ottoman sultans and officials, the Amirs of Bukhara, and the people of Central Asia and the Caucasus are also known to celebrate Naurooz. At the present time, in addition to Iran, Kurds of Turkey, many areas of Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Kirgizstan celebrate Naurooz. Understand Nauruz has been declared as a National holiday in the Christian Georgia as well.

Modern Naurooz at the spring Equinox (Tehveel) was determined by Hakim Omar AL Khayyam during the reign of Malik Shah Saljuqi.

By 1079, a solar calendar was developed that was named the “Jalālī” or “Malikī” calendar, thus carrying the name of the monarch who was the project's patron. The most remarkable feature of the new calendar was the correspondence of the beginning of the year (Nowrūz or new day) and the beginning of Aries,i. e., where the Sun passing from the Southern Celestial Hemisphere to the Northern appears to cross the Celestial Equator, marking the beginning of spring or the vernal equinox. The Jalālī year was a true solar year that followed the astronomical seasons. The length of this year was the mean interval between two vernal equinoxes. Recent studies have underscored the advantage of the Jalālī calendar by demonstrating the superiority of the vernal equinox as a calendar regulator, arguing that the vernal equinox year length is much more consistent than other natural regulating points.

Khayyam

Unquote.

Like ‘Basant’; Naurooz has a very long cultural history in the Northern part of the subcontinent as well as in Central Asia. This day is the 'True' beginning of the solar year. I personally don’t celebrate Naurooz but I see no harm in people enjoying themselves with their family in welcoming the New Year.

Last edited:
@haman10

Article I read few days back, thought I would sure. :)
Nauroz celebrations begin - DAWN.COM Parsis from Pakistan :D
Tnx bro :tup:

nice ! actually its not about being parsi (persian) its about peace .

believe me , this is the best celebration ever ! :D

even though i'm old but elders in the family give younger boys and girls money and its named "eydi" in our tradition :D

till now i've got some 1 million tomans :D ~500$

its awesome :D

Tnx bro :tup:

nice ! actually its not about being parsi (persian) its about peace .

believe me , this is the best celebration ever ! :D

even though i'm old but elders in the family give younger boys and girls money and its named "eydi" in our tradition :D

till now i've got some 1 million tomans :D ~1000$

its awesome :D

Actually many Pakistani Muslims who have nothing to do with Iran technically also celebrate because historically it was a holiday during Muslim empires and secondly it signals the coming of spring so you will farming communities especially tend to celebrate it. :enjoy:

Like @RazPaK family celebrate it but he doesn't even know why but I bet you it is because he is from farm owner community and so the coming of spring is the reason why they celebrate.

Actually many Pakistani Muslims who have nothing to do with Iran technically also celebrate because historically it was a holiday during Muslim empires and secondly it signals the coming of spring so you will farming communities especially tend to celebrate it. :enjoy:
Very good !!

mashallah ! but actually the history is far more than the arrival of islam .

but its very cool that you guys also celebrate it , this is not about iran anymore , its becoming an international even of some sort

Very good !!

mashallah ! but actually the history is far more than the arrival of islam .

but its very cool that you guys also celebrate it , this is not about iran anymore , its becoming an international even of some sort

I know the history is pre Islamic but I meant in terms of South Asia it started with Muslim rule.

Please read what I wrote - the entire sentence.
CENTCOM: "To the Pakistani people who are celebrating the Nowroz, and the Afghan, Iranian Diasporas living in Pakistan, we...."

Haroon Ahmad
DET - U.S. Central Command
United States Central Command - Urdu - MacDill Air Force Base, FL - Government Organization | Facebook

Dear, i just marked interesting, to the statement where you mentioned 'Iranian diasporas living in Pakistan' since it was little known info. to me and i believed, also to most of us Pakistanis.

I continue to wonder, who is the 'Iran diasporas' which you are referring to? Since, we have no visitors from Iran at least not more than UK or US.

Instead of making false guess, i positively notified that the people in Pakistan celebrating nowroz are indigenous like many others as far as China.
Unless you was talking about wannabe Iranis!

Back
Top Bottom