What's new

Now we've democratically elected a totalitarian government- Arunadhati Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its idiotic naturally. What will yu do if I question ur right to vote for one party?

Nothing.

You have a right to free speech. As does every other Indian citizen.

What will you do if I ask you to read the Indian constitution before writing again?

All sides might like to consider this view of an eminent scholar and good friend of mine:

I admire her courage in speaking out for the poor and the defenceless. But she must answer what she would do as the state authority if there is an armed attack by someone violating the law. Possibly the law is made for the middle class and the urbanites but what other way would she propose of making laws other than through elected representatives? She bemoans Mayawati's loss; were people better off under Mayawati, even the Dalits? What about the murder of a PWD engineer who wouldn't contribute to her birthday fund?
Like Pankaj Mishra, Arundhati Roy plays a useful role. But as one among many voices and as someone who identifies problems not solutions.

She is the conscience of your nation.
Now u will decide if she is concience of our nation just coz she fits ur orgasms. Move away dude...Let the air pass.

Why no one listens to Arundhati
Team_Anna_Advoc13756-300x210.jpg
Whatever your views on the merits of Penguin’s actions in withdrawing Wendy Doniger’s book, ‘The Hindus’, it is hard to read Arundhati Roy’s open letter to Penguin and not cringe. In her letter Roy does what she does best. She is undoubtedly extraordinarily gifted when it comes to constructing beautiful prose, but sadly when it comes to writing on issues that affect the wider public, it seems beautiful prose is the extent of her gifts.

A closer analysis of her beautiful prose reveals that she has not really thought about how hypocritical she is being [or as many suspect, that she is a rather big hypocrite]. If she is in fact as deeply concerned with Penguin’s failure to protect its authors as she claims to be, the logical course of action would be for her to immediately drop them as her publisher. She would hit them where it hurts the most- their pockets; and if she is truly as non- materialistic as she has long claimed, the monetary loss that she would face should be of no significance. But for reasons best know to Roy that has not happened.

Instead of putting her money where her mouth is, Roy insists that Penguin is obligated to fight on behalf of everyone that has a problem with people demanding a ban on the book. According to Roy, Penguin and the people that work there should not only pay vast legal fees to fight for her cause, but also risk imprisonment under the Indian Penal Code as it exists- all while she does nothing beyond writing a letter.

Nor does Roy help her case by somehow connecting a settlement made by an international publishing house after years of litigation with the potential rise of “fascists” in India’s next general election (which I think it is reasonably safe to assume refers to the fact that Narendra Modi and the BJP might attain a majority). How Roy thinks convincing Penguin that taking up this issue is unlikely to endear it to what might possibly be the next government might encourage Penguin is unclear. I would argue that it is more likely to discourage Penguin to do as she asks, than it is to encourage it (assuming for the sake of argument that Roy is right in her thesis about the ‘fascists’).

Personally, I agree that the book should be available to the public and that those that have a problem with it should not read it. But, that said, the law in India allows people to object to the content of books and Penguin has to operate within the bounds of the law. It is not incumbent on anyone, much less on a business run for profit to fund legal battles for changing the law (and in fact, there is a strong argument to be made for the fact that large publishing houses should not be throwing cash into legal battles with the express aim of determining to what extent their actions can be regulated). As a prominent citizen and a veteran of taking on the State, Roy is far better placed to campaign for whatever change in the law she feels is needed than almost anyone else.

Why she seems to be shying away from doing so is anyone’s guess- and till she actually walks the talk, her letter is no more than the piteous bleating of a hypocrite.

- See more at: Why no one listens to Arundhati » The Indian Republic

Thank god she just said totalitarian not Hindu authoritarian also she did not curse middle class for
She may be delusional, but she has not gone complete crazy as yet. She is smart and still wants all the attention she can get. Going complete nutcase will not help her case.

Last edited:
Put very bluntly, as always, she wants someone else to fight her battles for her, while she writes about the ongoing battle in deathless prose.

I say this while being a supporter of her right of free speech. She is the quintessential prig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom