What's new

Now Possible to Drive Cars between India & Sri Lanka

Madam Jayalalitha, the chief minister of Tamil Nadu is on a rampage against Sri Lanka at present. She has screamed from the top of her ivory tower wanting the Indian government to cut off ties with Sri Lanka and impose sanctions on the island. In such circumstances, any proposal to build a bridge linking the two nations will likely make her rabid cries even shriller and several (deluded) people might set themselves on fire/burn effigies/attack public property etc throughout Tamil Nadu. I don't see it happening with the present TN government in power, which is quite unfortunate really.

As usual it is Tamil Nadu that is the obstacle in furthering Indo-Lankan ties.

Our Tamils wont set themselves on fire. You should better bother about your fanatic Buddhist monks.

Our Tamils wont set themselves on fire. You should better bother about your Buddhist monks.

Really? Quite a few residents of Tamil Nadu have burnt themselves to a crisp over things happening in Sri Lanka:

"Chennai, Jan 31: Two days after a man committed suicide in Chennai to express solidarity with the Sri Lankan Tamils, another man on Saturday set himself on fire for the cause. "

"Thursday's suicide -- in a state where self-immolation is almost a political culture -- triggered violence in the Tamil Nadu capital, with mourners attacking a branch of the Bank of Ceylon in north Chennai. The protesters stoned the bank building and broke windowpanes. "

http://zeenews./news/nation/second-self-immolation-in-tn_503380.html

They have even burnt themselves to a crisp over the Hindi language:

Self-immolation in Tamil Nadu against Hindi imposition in Tamilnadu

Are so sure of your statement now?

Madam Jayalalitha, the chief minister of Tamil Nadu is on a rampage against Sri Lanka at present. She has screamed from the top of her ivory tower wanting the Indian government to cut off ties with Sri Lanka and impose sanctions on the island. In such circumstances, any proposal to build a bridge linking the two nations will likely make her rabid cries even shriller and several (deluded) people might set themselves on fire/burn effigies/attack public property etc throughout Tamil Nadu. I don't see it happening with the present TN government in power, which is quite unfortunate really.
As usual it is Tamil Nadu that is the obstacle in furthering Indo-Lankan ties.

There is no necessity of using that pink language......
Both sides has their own issues...... Cant simply blame Jayalalita for her remarks( Reason is there is truth in that)I think its not just her blaming lanka for their human rights voilation.Read whole world except China.

And when it comes to economics between two countries, we deal with national heads... Not regional heads...
Here Indian central gov deals with lankan gov.

P.S: Just to remind you, it is the Indian gov that helped lanka win its decades old civil war, but not the jaya lalita gov.There is a huge difference.

Really? Quite a few residents of Tamil Nadu have burnt themselves to a crisp over things happening in Sri Lanka:

"Chennai, Jan 31: Two days after a man committed suicide in Chennai to express solidarity with the Sri Lankan Tamils, another man on Saturday set himself on fire for the cause. "

"Thursday's suicide -- in a state where self-immolation is almost a political culture -- triggered violence in the Tamil Nadu capital, with mourners attacking a branch of the Bank of Ceylon in north Chennai. The protesters stoned the bank building and broke windowpanes. "

http://zeenews./news/nation/second-self-immolation-in-tn_503380.html

They have even burnt themselves to a crisp over the Hindi language:

Self-immolation in Tamil Nadu against Hindi imposition in Tamilnadu

Are so sure of your statement now?

Sri Lanka monk threatens self immolation over UN panel report | Our Sri Lanka .com | Report, Sri, Lanka, Panel, Public

I don't know which is worse. A monk with followers immolation himself or a commoner. And the shameful part is, the reason for his gimmick is, he didn't want the world to know the ugliness .

It is sad to see so much hatred for Tamils that still exist in your country.

I stand by my comments completely. I think Madam Jayalalitha is just a political opportunist - just like the rest of the Tamil Nadu politicians. Her recent pronouncements on Sri Lanka (and persons such as Chidambaram) have all the hallmarks of a loud fisherwoman screaming at the fish market; absolutely no finesse, and no class. I thought SL politicians were terrible, but man the ones in Tamil Nadu beat them by a mile when it comes to being stupid.

In any case, I believe it is Tamil Nadu that always stands in the way of expanding Indo-Lankan ties. And I think that Tamil Nadu has never really been a role model in the Indian Union - screams of hatred against Brahmins and the Hindi language, bullying Kerala, fighting with the Kannadigas, deep caste divisions, rampant female infanticide -- and, of course, a blind hatred of Sri Lanka. It seems the state is always looking for something to hate as a means of keeping itself going. In my opinion Tamil Nadu should not be allowed to derail links between India and Sri Lanka - after all, it holds only about 5-6% of India's population.

Your comments against TN was not necessary, since the one state TN is far ahead of SL, in almost every parameter . Population does not matter ( if 70 million is small:lol:) but contribution to the Union of India, that matter. You can wish away TN, but reality will bite you.

Thanks for the link. As I see, there was no immolation?

Quite a difference to Tamil Nadu where several people not connected to Sri Lanka have burnt themselves to a crisp over events happening in Sri Lanka.

But given the information I've provided, are you sure about your gung-ho statement "Our Tamils wont set themselves on fire." ?

Your comments against TN was not necessary, since the one state TN is far ahead of SL, in almost every parameter . Population does not matter ( if 70 million is small:lol:) but contribution to the Union of India, that matter. You can wish away TN, but reality will bite you.

I think my comments are both necessary and appropriate, so we will have to disagree there. And what "parameters" are you talking about? Please educate me, I am quite interested.

Also even though there many by 60-70 million residents in Tamil Nadu, it still amounts to something like 5-6% of the total Indian population. In Indian terms, 60-70 million peeps is peanuts.

It would be sad if that 5% were able to dictate Indian foreign policy (thankfully this hasn't really been the case and I don't see it happening in the future as it is very hard for 5% of the population to dictate terms to the other 95%). Like I said before, Tamil Nadu should not be allowed to derail Indo-Lankan ties and in my opinion Tamil interests ought not to be put before Indian interests.

It is sad to see so much hatred for Tamils that still exist in your country.

And it is sad to see so much hatred towards Muslims/Dalits/Christians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis/Sri Lankans in your country

And it is sad to see so much hatred towards Dalits/Kannadigas/Mallus/Sinhalese/Sri Lanka/Hindi language/Brahmins/Female babies in Tamil Nadu

Ever heard the saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"?

I think my comments are both necessary and appropriate, so we will have to disagree there. And what "parameters" are you talking about? Please educate me, I am quite interested.

Also even though there many by 60-70 million residents in Tamil Nadu, it still amounts to something like 5-6% of the total Indian population. In Indian terms, 60-70 million peeps is peanuts.

It would be sad if that 5% were able to dictate Indian foreign policy (thankfully this hasn't really been the case and I don't see it happening in the future as it is very hard for 5% of the population to dictate terms to the other 95%). Like I said before, Tamil Nadu should not be allowed to derail Indo-Lankan ties and in my opinion Tamil interests ought not to be put before Indian interests.

How is that tamil nadu cannot come into the picture, when tamils are living in SL. Even 1% of India's population can dictate India's policy if they are in power at the centre.There is nothing sad or happy, its politics. And remember one thing Tamil nadu is a part of India. As long as Tamil people live in SL, India's policy with SL will Include TN.

And it is sad to see so much hatred towards Muslims/Dalits/Christians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis/Sri Lankans in your country

And it is sad to see so much hatred towards Dalits/Kannadigas/Mallus/Sinhalese/Sri Lanka/Hindi language/Brahmins/Female babies in Tamil Nadu

Ever heard the saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"?

Dont forget that cholas are once rulers of Srilanka.....
And its a common perception against foreign rulers everywhere.I will take every bit of your reply with a pich of salt.

How is that tamil nadu cannot come into the picture, when tamils are living in SL. Even 1% of India's population can dictate India's policy if they are in power at the centre.There is nothing sad or happy, its politics. And remember one thing Tamil nadu is a part of India. As long as Tamil people live in SL, India's policy with SL will Include TN.

So you are happy for Pakistan to "come into the picture" when Muslims are living in Kashmir and all over India?

And Tamils in Sri Lanka are Sri Lankans, not Indians. I think this is an important distinction that many in Tamil Nadu seem to conveniently ignore in favour of tribalism.

Power at the centre is dominated by North Indians. It always has been and will be for the foreseeable future. If truth be told the centre of power in all of South Asia lies in North India deep among the Hindi speaking people, although many would not like to accept this.

Currently many Malayalis hold important positions in the current Indian government and Sri Lanka and Kerala have warm ties. There is no beef between Karnataka, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and all other Indian states and Sri Lanka. It is only Tamil Nadu that screams blue murder against the island. This is regrettable because of all the Indian states it is Tamil Nadu that has the greatest potential to help bring peace to Sri Lanka and help the island's integration with India. But instead of being progressive and acting in India's interests, Tamil Nadu has chosen to be tribal (true to its name). The only real statesman Tamil Nadu has produced is Abdul Kalam, and besides being Muslim he was an absolute gentleman and not a rabid raving lunatic along the likes of the current Tamil Nadu chief minister.

Positions at the higher levels in the Indian government always have a moderating effect because one is representing more than 1 billion Indians, and not some state or region.

Dont forget that cholas are once rulers of Srilanka.....
And its a common perception against foreign rulers everywhere.I will take every bit of your reply with a pich of salt.

And the Cholas were defeated. I guess kinda like Prabhakaran.

Take all the pinches of salt you wish, I am not here to win brownie points :cheers:

So you are happy for Pakistan to "come into the picture" when Muslims are living in Kashmir and all over India?

And Tamils in Sri Lanka are Sri Lankans, not Indians. I think this is an important distinction that many in Tamil Nadu seem to conveniently ignore in favour of tribalism.

Power at the centre is dominated by North Indians. It always has been and will be for the foreseeable future. If truth be told the centre of power in all of South Asia lies in North India deep among the Hindi speaking people, although many would not like to accept this.

Currently many Malayalis hold important positions in the current Indian government and Sri Lanka and Kerala have warm ties. There is no beef between Karnataka, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and all other Indian states and Sri Lanka. It is only Tamil Nadu that screams blue murder against the island. This is regrettable because of all the Indian states it is Tamil Nadu that has the greatest potential to help bring peace to Sri Lanka and help the island's integration with India. But instead of being progressive and acting in India's interests, Tamil Nadu has chosen to be tribal (true to its name). The only real statesman Tamil Nadu has produced is Abdul Kalam, and besides being Muslim he was an absolute gentleman and not a rabid raving lunatic along the likes of the current Tamil Nadu chief minister.

Positions at the higher levels in the Indian government always have a moderating effect because one is representing more than 1 billion Indians, and not some state or region.

Pakistan is always in the pic for over 60 yrs..we dont fear them..If all tamil's are happy under SL, why are they fighting against it? Why are tamil's coming to TN as refugees ?It is wrong to say power is with north Indians only. One glance at Indian politics, you will know.

I am not commenting further on your tamils are tribal comments, since nobody can help you with your racist mentality.

And also there is no need for derailing this thread.

Pakistan is always in the pic for over 60 yrs..we dont fear them..If all tamil's are happy under SL, why are they fighting against it? Why are tamil's coming to TN as refugees ?It is wrong to say power is with north Indians only. One glance at Indian politics, you will know.

I am not commenting further on your tamils are tribal comments, since nobody can help you with your racist mentality.

And also there is no need for derailing this thread.

I never claimed that Tamils are "happy in Sri Lanka" did I? But if you want to accept Tamil separatism in Sri Lanka as legitimate than please also have the integrity embrace all the separatist movements in India as legitimate. And if you feel that Indian intervention in Sri Lanka is acceptable, then please also accept Pakistan and China's intervention in India.

Nothing racist in my comments. Tamil Nadu seems to be the only state in India with a communal name that screams "Tamil Land" (tribalism) and has so far failed to make the Telugu language an official language when something like 10% of the population of the state is Telugu speaking.

Back
Top Bottom