What's new

Now, India's coaches to come with 'made in China' tag

even with China's help its going take decades for India to develop sports craze rather than this cricket craze

That's where you're wrong, my friend. China's system works in the absence of a sports craze. If you look at the events that China wins medals in, often you'll not find a thousand people in the whole of China who plays them for fun. China is not a sporting nation, which is precisely why the government adapted the system of tracking youngsters into sports where they are selected by natural aptitude. There often wouldn't be interest in them otherwise.

The SAI is also planning to take China's help to train its sports scientists. "Our officers have also met scientists at the China Sports Science Institute and they have agreed in principal to train our sports scientists. But a written confirmation is awaited," said the SAI official.

This would mean training Sports Psychologists , Nutritionists and Bio-Mechanists ....

Require a lot of cash and investments , wonder if the GOI are able to allocate as much for sports development .

That's where you're wrong, my friend. China's system works in the absence of a sports craze. If you look at the events that China wins medals in, often you'll not find a thousand people in the whole of China who plays them for fun. China is not a sporting nation, which is precisely why the government adapted the system of tracking youngsters into sports where they are selected by natural aptitude.

only the coaching methods are being shared as per the article , even if that system is shown to the GOI officials , I doubt it can be implemented in India ......end of the day its the young athelete choice , and at least in India he would prefer an academic career to atheletics .

Do the Chinese govt give any incentives for sports ?

Well this is a very positive news ,Chinese coaches in India but do they gonna share their secret recipe with us to win lots of medals :china: ???:cheesy::cheesy:

only the coaching methods are being shared as per the article , even if that system is shown to the GOI officials , I doubt it can be implemented in India ......end of the day its the young athelete choice , and at least in India he would prefer an academic career to atheletics .

Why not? It's not a free society versus totalitarian society thing as you are making it out to be. The US sporting association through various levels does the same thing, with the use of government funding and the use of sports scholarships.

Naturally China's system results in an asymmetry in the category where China wins medals. The majority of China's medal count comes from obscure sports where competition isn't as intense and the state program can produce world-class athletes quickly. The system does less well in sports like swimming or track and field, though China is starting make headway into those categories as well.

Why not? It's not a free society versus totalitarian society thing as you are making it out to be. The US sporting association through various levels does the same thing, with the use of government funding and the use of sports scholarships.

Wasn't referring to a free society thing....it doesn't work that way in sports ---only achievable through incentives like the bold part .

My question is how did Chinese authorities change people's mentalities to taking up sports as a career ?

Like if this post is true ...

Most Chinese think the same way on engineers, scientists as well as doctors.

However, we still produce a lot of great athletes.
By Ephone
post no.6

How do you change general people's mindsets into accepting sports as an attractive career option ?

Do the Chinese govt give any incentives for sports ?

Its not as bad, there are a few sports schools(academic life based around sports, instead of other way round) around in India if am not wrong. They started out quite well, but then as usual like other government projects got mired with corruption.

If i am not wrong, there is compulsory athletics for every school kid in China, just like American system. India needs something like that if it wants to win medals in Olympics.

And more schools like these are needed.
Motilal Nehru School of Sports

Here's a crappy graph I made to explain what I mean.

gra.jpg

The red line is Chinese skill level produced by the state program
The blue line is the skill level created through a recreational club style program.

There is heavy competition and a higher level of performance in popular sports through the club program, but in the less popular sports, it is difficult to raise the level of skills and competition.

The state program can create a relatively high level of skill across a wide range of sports but it is still uncompetitive with the popular sports.

Its not as bad, there are a few sports schools(academic life based around sports, instead of other way round) around in India if am not wrong. They started out quite well, but then as usual like other government projects got mired with corruption.

If i am not wrong, there is compulsory athletics for every school kid in China, just like American system. India needs something like that if it wants to win medals in Olympics.

And more schools like these are needed.
Motilal Nehru School of Sports

Yes there are a few schools like that .

Even the general schools , encourage extra-curriculars . However ( I speak from what I myself saw in my school time ) , due to parental pressure on taking up a lucrative career , lack of proper support in the form of funds , gear etc

Several talented people loose their focus on sports and try to divert into some profession that allows them to earn their daily bread.

Baichung Bhutia was one notable exception who obtained a Football scholarship ( literally unheard of in the eastern states then ) ....

Another exception Somdev Devarman whose parents were rich enough to afford a U.S university ( Virginia ) education and tennis playing facilities.

Ironically he won a tennis scholarship from that U.S university , yet he is nationalistic enough to don India colours in the Davis Cup.

Even the general schools , encourage extra-curriculars . However ( I speak from what I myself say in my school time ) , due to parental pressure on taking up a lucrative career , lack of proper support in the form of funds , gear etc

Well then the Indian government should put enough funding into the programs to make a sporting career competitive with an lucrutive one. If parents + kids see rich sports people on TV etc, it might change their minds.

This is sort of what's happening in China, where Olympics medal winners have become celebrities. And we have the civil society supporting medal winners financially (Chinese businesses and business people in the past gave Olympic medal winners cash bonuses for winning Gold, silver and bronze)

Even the general schools , encourage extra-curriculars . However ( I speak from what I myself saw in my school time ) , due to parental pressure on taking up a lucrative career , lack of proper support in the form of funds , gear etc

Several talented people loose their focus on sports and try to divert into some profession that allows them to earn their daily bread.

Baichung Bhutia was one notable exception who obtained a Football scholarship ( literally unheard of in the eastern states then ) ....

Another exception Somdev Devarman whose parents were rich enough to afford a U.S university ( Virginia ) education and tennis playing facilities.

Ironically he won a tennis scholarship from that U.S university , yet he is nationalistic enough to don India colours in the Davis Cup.

True, but thats why we need to make athletics/sports compulsory. Everyone will have to achieve a certain standard to proceed to the next class or get their high school certificate. Something along those lines. You get a healthier and fitter over all population and you can pick out future talents young and nurture them accordingly.

Well then the Indian government should put enough funding into the programs to make a sporting career competitive with an lucrutive one. If parents + kids see rich sports people on TV etc, it might change their minds.

This is sort of what's happening in China, where Olympics medal winners have become celebrities.
And we have the civil society supporting medal winners financially (Chinese businesses and business people in the past gave Olympic medal winners cash bonuses for winning Gold, silver and bronze)

Exactly !!!!!

The only sport in which the players are treated so grandly and made national heroes is currently cricket . After the Cricket World Cup Victory , or even a India-Australia series victory the public goes gaga on the Cricketers.

This never happens when say the Hockey team wins the Asia cup , or our shooters , boxers ( pugilists ), wrestlers or wieghtlifters achieve success at the world Championships etc .

The establishment of civil societies , in China is a very novel and effective idea . Believe this is something Indian Govt can learn .

Back
Top Bottom