What's new

Notify PAF Aircraft Crashes

a noob question, do these ejection seats have some sort of detection for inverted ejection so that parachute only deploys once the seats is in upright position? if that is the scenario than maybe combination of being inverted and low it didn't had time to deploy and actually slammed the pilot on the ground? i am extremely sorry if i am going to piss off people by saying this but just thinking aloud without having any knowledge on the subject.

a noob question, do these ejection seats have some sort of detection for inverted ejection so that parachute only deploys once the seats is in upright position? if that is the scenario than maybe combination of being inverted and low it didn't had time to deploy and actually slammed the pilot on the ground? i am extremely sorry if i am going to piss off people by saying this but just thinking aloud without having any knowledge on the subject.

Ejecting upside down from high altitude is not a problem. Modern seats are gyro stabilized (e.g. ACES II) which means that they are made so as to stabilize in an upright position as soon as they leave the aircraft. Furthermore the Zvezda K-93 ejection seat is at least one example which allows you to eject while inverted and survive at altitudes as low as 150 feet. These seats are gyro stabilized which makes them rotate to the proper side up as soon as they leave the cockpit. Then rockets deploy the parachute.

Check the following video. The pilot ejects at a very low altitude at around 34 sec.

Air Show Crash MIG 29 - YouTube

ps: And dude stop being apologetic ask whatever you want.

Hi, the JF-17 ejection seat is one of the best out there, made by Martin Baker. In a previous issue of Air Forces Monthly, there was a special on the JF-17. In it was a section on the ejection seat. It mentioned the PAF had specifically selected the Martin Baker PK16LE carbon/fiber alloy seat for the JF-17. In addition, the PAF had retrofitted their initial small batch production JF-17 Chinese TY-6 ejection seats with these ones.

A quote from Air Forces Monthly July 2011 Issue, page # 66:

"When the carbon/fibre alloy Martin Baker PK16LE ejection seat was selected for the JF-17, the PAF requested that there be some upgrades -- covering four main areas: passive leg restraints, the back rest extended by three inches with more cushions to increase comfort levels, a rearward firing headbox and drogue as well as an electronic sequencer.

From early 2008 until 2010, Martin Baker set about introducing these changes to the standard MK16 ejection seat to enhance its performance to provide the PAF with one of the most advanced ejection seats available. Several full ejections were performed across the speed range from zero to 600 knots to qualify the changes to the seat and verify its improved performance."

The Martin Baker PK16LE ejection seat in the JF-17 is a zero-zero seat, meaning the pilot can eject while the plane is stationary and on the ground. However, there are limits to when a pilot can eject, given the speed of the plane.

Lastly, in regards to the plane being inverted at the crash site, that does not automatically mean the pilot ejected in an inverted position. The plane was reportedly on fire, and could have been spinning and landed on its back. We do not have much information on that, and only a PAF inquiry board can determine the causes of the parachute not opening.

Sir,

This is being silly, ----he took the plane away from the populated area and took his only chance that he had---to eject from the inverted plane---he knew he was a goner but at least he tried---maybe by a freak chance he could survive----. You know miracles do happen---this time it didnot----so must he be blamed----. I would----that he would have rather bailed out earlier when he had the oppurtunity---bu then these pilots---you can't tell them what to do under these circumstances---.
You are very true within ure assessment but I'm still thinking that why the pilot didn't get chance to change the plane from inverted to upright position while he was taking the plane away from the civilian area...was the plane damaged so much that he couldn't do it?...and why his seat is not gyrostabilized atlow altitudes? as Krash depicted within his video post that the ejection seats are mostly Gyrostabilized.Shall we still term this incident as a badluck for the pilot and us ?....:smokin:

Word from H Khan
I've just heard that the crashed JF-17 was a brand new aircraft and was on its maiden flight. There was another JF-17 aircraft which was deputized as a chase aircraft. Apparently, there was an engine surge, the pilot of the ill fated JF-17 tried to restart the engine but since the aircraft was flying low and at a low speed he didn't have much time to complete the procedure

He ejected while the aircraft was at almost 90 degree right bank. He ejected but the ejection seat struck the ridge or side of the hill while the pilot was still strapped in the seat.

the a/c, engine and the ejection seat are all man-made and prone to mechanical failure. these type of fatal accidents will unfortunately take place. the lesson learnt is to make the 'line-checks" more stringent - zero tolerence.

have ZERO doubts about it, PAF has always put HUGEEE emphasis on flight safety.

there are always room for improvement, so yes - surely there will be lessons learned

Word from H Khan

I've just heard that the crashed JF-17 was a brand new aircraft and was on its maiden flight. There was another JF-17 aircraft which was deputized as a chase aircraft. Apparently, there was an engine surge, the pilot of the ill fated JF-17 tried to restart the engine but since the aircraft was flying low and at a low speed he didn't have much time to complete the procedure

He ejected while the aircraft was at almost 90 degree right bank. He ejected but the ejection seat struck the ridge or side of the hill while the pilot was still strapped in the seat.

eject-11.jpg

I think that's what he means ... but in this image we can see that clearly a pilot is bailed out all clear even the air craft is above 90 degree right bank nose down and with this image it seems that it has been taken from ground so pilot has far less time to bail out I may be wrong about image taken but I am positively right about all clear bail out in this position ... secondly I think due to the hilly area as we can observe in JFT crash image it seems so random due to which we just cant speculate the clearance hight of the aircraft from surface when pilot has initiated ejection and when he got ejected even if it took a few seconds no one can say what was the surface clearance distance it may be random timely ...

Albeit, the aircraft crashed in an inverted state, however, why does everyone assume that the pilot may have also ejected in this position. Once the pilot leaves the aircraft or if the controls aren't functioning, the plane can spin out of control and crash at any angle or position.

Albeit, the aircraft crashed in an inverted state, however, why does everyone assume that the pilot may have also ejected in this position. Once the pilot leaves the aircraft or if the controls aren't functioning, the plane can spin out of control and crash at any angle or position.

you are correct however that assumption was just made because of the parachute not deploying properly...

there was a f-14 incident long time ago, both pilot and RIO tried to bail out however RIO got out safely but the pilot was thrusted towards the water causing death.

and since we know that this aircraft was also flying at low altitude "heard by some senior officer on the news" i just assumed that it MAY be the case.

we just have to wait for the official words

Word from H Khan

That was EXACTLY what I said as soon as I heard of the crash. With my years of experience and knowledge it was easy to spot out.

It was sad incident indeed and at very wrong time too.
May Allah bless shaheed's soul-aameen.

Word from H Khan

First it wasnt a brand new aircraft, neither was its maiden flight, this is totally false. Secondly why would a chase fighter aircraft to be deputed at the crash? Its job of base flt safety not fighter to conduct such mission.

At most of the times during active routine flying at PAF bases,a SAR squadron's helicopter (generally Allouette) constantly keep on flying near the base. Whenever any such incident happens an already in flight SAR team is vectored to conduct search mission from last known position.

Back
Top Bottom