Oslo-class frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oslo.jpg

00.jpg

That was a rather big blast for such a small missile :what:

That was a rather big blast for such a small missile :what:

Naval Strike Missile fired from Skjold class patrol boats
Weight 410 kg
Warhead 125 kg HE fragmentation
A multi-role version of the NSM called Joint Strike Missile (JSM) is in development. This missile will feature an option for ground strike and a two-way communications line, so that the missile can communicate with the central control room or other missiles in the air. This missile will be integrated with the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II "Joint Strike Fighter". Studies have shown that the F-35 would be able to carry two of these in its internal bays, while additional missiles could be carried externally. According to Kongsberg, this "multi-role NSM" is the only powered anti-ship missile that will fit inside the F-35's internal bays
Naval Strike Missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Skjold-class patrol boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is about 100kg less explosives than e.g. Harpoon but only 40kg less than e.g. Exocet and about the same as C-704.

@Penguin given that this was a missile 125kg warhead and it destroyed a 1763 ton(standard displacement) ship. In the past PN has also used C-802s to destroy the Leander class which is 165 kg warhead for a 2500 ton ship,
My question is what is the maximum limit of ships displacement that these missiles can destroy, and is it right to presume that this statics will also be true for current large ships (4 to 5k frigates) because these are old ships with outdated armor.
Lets keep aside that the ship is stealth and has state of the art air defense, its just the missile hitting the ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Penguin given that this was a missile 125kg warhead and it destroyed a 1763 ton(standard displacement) ship. In the past PN has also used C-802s to destroy the Leander class which is 165 kg warhead for a 2500 ton ship,
My question is what is the maximum limit of ships displacement that these missiles can destroy, and is it right to presume that this statics will also be true for current large ships (4 to 5k frigates) because these are old ships with outdated armor.
Lets keep aside that the ship is stealth and has state of the art air defense, its just the missile hitting the ship.

As you can see in the video, there is a big blast but at the end, the ship remains afloat. Whether or not she would remain floating would depend on het damage control capability, build quality and .... luck. Good luck: USS Stark. Bad Luck: HMS Sheffield.

In answer to your question ... it depends on what you mean by 'destroyed'. If you mean SUNK, then not likely will any single one of these missiles sink a frigate sized ship (not even a small frigate). For that you need a heavy weight torpedo, or perhaps a couple of 950kg (2000lb) guided bombs. If you mean, combat kill / put out of action, sure they can even with a 4-5k ton ship: typically the missile explodes in the ship interior, so if you hit the CIC you rip out the mind of the ship as a fighting system, likewise if you put the engine room out of action, or the bridge. And mind you, frigates and destroyers these days do not carry a whole lot of armor protection (regardless of size).

During the Resultant Fury exercise conducted late November, 2004, the US Air Force trialed the use of AMSTE-modified 2,000 lb JDAM guided bombs, with datalink updates from an E-8C JSTARS, and laser guided 2,000 lb GBU-10/BLU-109 bombs targeted by a Litening II pod on a B-52H. Upper - former USN LST Schenectady takes a hit by multiple JDAMs; Lower - damage effect produced by JDAM hits on waterline. The vessel sank 1.5 hrs later.
Warship Vulnerability (lots of pics)

USS Schenectady (LST-1185)
Class & type: Newport class tank landing ship
Displacement: 5,008 long tons (5,088.4 t) (light),
8,590 long tons (8,727.8 t) (full)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Schenectady_(LST-1185)

Last edited by a moderator:
Torpedo hit on an AOR - sinks in 18 minutes
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/cms/4/4-a_eng.asp?id=912

Then again...

USS Buchanan (DDG 14):

-- USS Buchanan history wanted --

Decommissioned Oct 1, 1991 at San Diego

FINAL DISPOSITION:
Located at Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility (NISMF) Pearl Harbor, Hawaii from 1991 to 2000
Stricken to be disposed of by Navy sale November 20, 1992
Changed to SINKEX June 1999 and used as target ship for exercise RIMPAC 2000

American, Canadian and Australian forces tried to sink her for more than 24 hours. She took 3 hits from Hellfire missiles, 3 Harpoon missiles and one GBU-24 laser guided bomb. After a Mk-48 torpedo, fired from USS Buffalo (SSN 715), Buchanan stayed still afloat. On June 14, 2000 an EOD Team placed 200 pounds of C-4. Buchanan sank at 21:26:30Z (11:26:30 AM HST) approx. 64 miles off Hawaii (22:54.38N, 160:27.68W) in a depth of 2540 fathoms.

image053.jpg

ON the wisdom of SINKEXES http://toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Artificial+Reefs,+Sunken+Ships,+and+Military+Toxins

What makes you say that? ... and this would be done why?
:rofl:

Warship Vulnerability

I was not making an educated observation. The explosion seemed so very disproportionate to the missile size.
Well since you are the expert, I have this question.

How difficult is it to intercept missiles like this? I mean one hit and a frigate is out. The frigate I presume costs upwards of $250 million.

I was not making an educated observation. The explosion seemed so very disproportionate to the missile size.
Well since you are the expert, I have this question.

How difficult is it to intercept missiles like this? I mean one hit and a frigate is out. The frigate I presume costs upwards of $250 million.

Looks pretty big.
NSM_PICT0001.JPG

Looks pretty big.
NSM_PICT0001.JPG

Medium, I would say

Sea Killer/Marte: Weight 300 kg, Length 4.7 m, Warhead 70 kg, Rocket, 25 km
Penguin: Weight 385 kg (MK2), 370 kg (MK3), Length 3.0 m (MK2), 3.2 m (MK3), Warhead 120 kg, Rocket, range 34+ km (MK2), 55+ km (MK3)

NSM : Weight 410 kg, Length 3.95 m, Warhead 125 kg, Turbojet, 185km
KH-35 Uran: Weight 520 kg, Length 3.85 m, Warhead 145 kg, Range 130km

Exocet: Weight 670 kg, Length 4.7 m, Warhead 165 kg, Turbojet (MM40 B3), 42 km (MM38) / 72km (MM40 B1) - 180km+ MM40 B3
Harpoon: Weight 691 kg with booster, Length 4.6 m, Warhead 221 kg, Turbojet, 90km (Block 1 AGM/RGM/UGM-84A/B) - 278 km (Block 1D /RGM/AGM-84F.)
C802: Weight 715 kg, Length 6.39 m, Warhead 165 kg, Turbojet, 120 km (C-802) / 180 km (C-802A)

Back
Top Bottom