What's new

Norway’s Politicians Shun Dalai Lama Seeking Detente With China

Edison Chen

Reaction score
Country
China
Norway’s ruling politicians may refuse to meet with the Dalai Lama when he visits Oslo next month to avoid angeringChina.

The hesitation is part of an effort to ease tensions with the world’s second-largest economy that have festered since Norway’s Nobel committee awarded jailed Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo the Peace Prize in 2010.

“We need to focus on our relationship with China and should remember that should the Norwegian government meet the Dalai Lama it could become difficult to normalize our relationship with China,” Foreign Minister Boerge Brende said today to reporters in parliament after a debate on the issue. The government has yet to make a final decision on the matter, he said.

Olemic Thommessen, the speaker of the parliament, said yesterday he will avoid meeting with the 78-year-old religious leader, who is visiting at the invitation of the Nobel Institute to commemorate the 25th anniversary of his own Peace Prize.

“What I want to achieve is to contribute to improving the relationship with China,” the speaker said in a televised interview yesterday with broadcaster NRK. “It’s at a freezing point today. Since 2010, Norway has had no political communication with China.”

China in 2010 broke off high-level contacts with Norway after the Peace Prize was awarded to the dissident. The dispute has also strained trade relations between the two countries, disrupting salmon exports from the Nordic country.

I'm surprised, Norway is quite self-sufficient, they are not dependent on China for trade like many other countries are.

I guess they have decided that they want better ties with China, for their own reasons.

How much did Norway 'suffer' since China has stopped or lowered the salmon import?

Not much. We did previously import a lot of Norwegian salmon, but it wasn't really a huge deal.

The point here I think, is that Norway sees a lot of "potential" in trade ties with China. I guess that is the most likely reason, not that they are suffering from losing trade ties with China in the first place.

Not much. We did previously import a lot of Norwegian salmon, but it wasn't really a huge deal.

The point here I think, is that Norway sees a lot of "potential" in trade ties with China. I guess that is the most likely reason, not that they are suffering from losing trade ties with China in the first place.

If they wish to improve ties not because of the salmon export business, then i'm wondering what reasons there could be behind their motive. Norway doesn't have much to offer to China to be honest and we were not doing much business either before the Dalai Lama issue angered China.

Norway hostile to China for Dalai Lama a Chinese.

Back
Top Bottom