What's new

Northrop’s SABR Gives F-16 Pilots the Big Picture

Darth Vader

Reaction score
Country
Norway
images
To a pilot, a radar is only as useful as the information it provides, and Northrop Grumman’s Big SAR (synthetic aperture radar) mapping for the Scalable Agile Beam Radar (SABR) delivers the largest, sharpest radar images ever available in an F-16.
The company’s SABR has successfully demonstrated several advanced radar capabilities for the F-16, including Big SAR maps with automatic target cueing. The SABR Big SAR offers an unprecedented level of situational awareness and target identification for F-16 pilots.
“SABR’s Big SAR is high-definition radar imagery that covers a large area on the ground in a single image,” said Joseph Ensor, vice president and general manager of Northrop Grumman’s Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance and Targeting Systems Division.
“This advance will give F-16 pilots the largest maps with the most detail that they have ever seen in the cockpit. Combined with SABR’s automatic target cueing capability, the F-16 will have targeting capabilities unmatched by any other fourth-generation fighter.”
SABR is an affordable, multifunction active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar designed specifically for F-16 retrofit. SABR provides longer detection and tracking ranges, high-resolution SAR maps for all-environment precision targeting, interleaved mode operations for greater situational awareness and greater reliability.
Northrop Grumman has nearly four decades of F-16 radar development and integration experience, and has delivered more than 6,000 fire control radars to U.S. and international air forces. The company also supplies the AESA fire control radars for the F-16 Block 60, F-22 and F-35 aircraft.

images
To a pilot, a radar is only as useful as the information it provides, and Northrop Grumman’s Big SAR (synthetic aperture radar) mapping for the Scalable Agile Beam Radar (SABR) delivers the largest, sharpest radar images ever available in an F-16.
The company’s SABR has successfully demonstrated several advanced radar capabilities for the F-16, including Big SAR maps with automatic target cueing. The SABR Big SAR offers an unprecedented level of situational awareness and target identification for F-16 pilots.
“SABR’s Big SAR is high-definition radar imagery that covers a large area on the ground in a single image,” said Joseph Ensor, vice president and general manager of Northrop Grumman’s Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance and Targeting Systems Division.
“This advance will give F-16 pilots the largest maps with the most detail that they have ever seen in the cockpit. Combined with SABR’s automatic target cueing capability, the F-16 will have targeting capabilities unmatched by any other fourth-generation fighter.”
SABR is an affordable, multifunction active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar designed specifically for F-16 retrofit. SABR provides longer detection and tracking ranges, high-resolution SAR maps for all-environment precision targeting, interleaved mode operations for greater situational awareness and greater reliability.
Northrop Grumman has nearly four decades of F-16 radar development and integration experience, and has delivered more than 6,000 fire control radars to U.S. and international air forces. The company also supplies the AESA fire control radars for the F-16 Block 60, F-22 and F-35 aircraft.

which radar pakistan is installing in its f 16s MLU.

which radar pakistan is installing in its f 16s MLU.
AN/APG-68 radar
and these are MlU updates Pakistan Doing
1. APG-68(V)9 with Synthetic aperture radars
2. Joint Helmet Mounted Cuing System JHMCS
3. AN/APX-113 Advanced Identify Friend or Foe Systems
4. AN/ALE-47 Advanced Countermeasures Dispenser Systems
5. Have Quick I/II Radios
6. Link-16 Multifunctional Information Distribution System-Low Volume Terminal
7. SNIPER (formerly known as AN/AAQ-33 PANTERA) targeting pods
8. Advanced Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation Units; MDE included in the MLU modification and structural upgrade kits
9. 21 ALQ-131 Block II Electronic Countermeasures Pods without the Digital Radio Frequency
10. Memory (DRFM) or ALQ-184 Electronic Countermeasures Pods without DRFM;
11. 60 ALQ-213 Electronic Warfare Management Systems
12. 1 Unit Level Trainer and
13. 10 APG-68(V)9 spare radar sets

i think they just duped uae which funded 2 billion dollars for the development of f 16 blk 60(i.e upgraded engines & specially radars) and now they come up with this that means all the older blocks of f16s can be upgraded to blk 60 levels without paying royalties to uae as per development program contract now why wud usa sell blk 60 to other countries and give royalty when they can sell the other model by naming the blk like 62,70--------etc whatever they like.i think uae shouldn't had funded the blk 60 development and waiting for royalties to happen instead they should have bought blk 52 and later upgraded it.they could have saved lots of money,l know they r not short of money.

and now they come up with this that means all the older blocks of f16s can be upgraded to blk 60 levels without paying royalties to uae as per development program contract now why wud usa sell blk 60 to other countries and give royalty when they can sell the other model by naming the blk like 62,70--------etc whatever they like.i think uae shouldn't had funded the blk 60 development and waiting for royalties to happen instead they should have bought blk 52 and later upgraded it.they could have saved lots of money,l know they r not short of money.

No, The F-16V roadmap includes the U.S. Air Force and international customers for AESA, fielded F-16A/Bs for midlife upgrades, new production F-16 Advanced Block 50/52s, and fielded F-16C/Ds for the U.S. Air Force’s Common Configuration Implementation Program. The “Viper” program does not include the F-16 Block 60. Block 50/52 or older variants can be upgraded to some extend to Block 60 configuration but over all Block 60/ Japanese F-2 are still advanced and those configurations are not offered to any other Nation except isreali F-16s are highly modified close to Blk 60 variant.

No, The F-16V roadmap includes the U.S. Air Force and international customers for AESA, fielded F-16A/Bs for midlife upgrades, new production F-16 Advanced Block 50/52s, and fielded F-16C/Ds for the U.S. Air Force’s Common Configuration Implementation Program. The “Viper” program does not include the F-16 Block 60. Block 50/52 or older variants can be upgraded to some extend to Block 60 configuration but over all Block 60/ Japanese F-2 are still advanced and those configurations are not offered to any other Nation except isreali F-16s are highly modified close to Blk 60 variant.

both are 4th gen radars and upgraded f16 will be comparable to blk 60 then why to pay more for similar capabilities(from ur pov slightly less capable)?israel is going upgrade their f 16i with aesa radars frm usa since u have said that f 16i is comparable or comes close to blk 60 that means after aesa upgradation it will be more sophticated than uae blk 60 since usa has always maintained that israel has an edge over other middle east countries so why israels upgraded f 16i wont be better with uae blk 60 or others upgraded f 16 be par with blk 60.

both are 4th gen radars and upgraded f16 will be comparable to blk 60 then why to pay more for similar capabilities(from ur pov slightly less capable)?israel is going upgrade their f 16i with aesa radars frm usa since u have said that f 16i is comparable or comes close to blk 60 that means after aesa upgradation it will be more sophticated than uae blk 60 since usa has always maintained that israel has an edge over other middle east countries so why israels upgraded f 16i wont be better with uae blk 60 or others upgraded f 16 be par with blk 60.

SABR is for F-16 Block 50/52 and earlier variants. AN/APG-80 AESA is for for Desert Falcon F-16 BLOCK 60.

SABR is based on Northrop Grumman’s AN/APG-80 on UAE Block 60 F-16s but it still differs if both were comparable and same capabilities then US wouldn't have to develop SABR for Block 50/52 or earlier variants it would have not make any sense [i would not say slightly less capable for slightly less capability US would not have spent money to develop it]. RACR is derived from the APG-79 AESA antenna on the Super Hornet.

I hope this put to rest any doubt as to the ability of the AESA radar. Coupled with competent software, it will give any '4th gen' fighter a leap in sensor package capability. If I could return to aviation, to work on the AESA radar would be number 2 on my list. Number 1 would be flight controls.

Back
Top Bottom