What's new

North Korea Defence Forum

Yes, I also thought the same thing when I read the article.

Hi Sutton continues to consider that this is a modified Romeo/Project 633 class and lists the defects that this entails, such as the reduction of battery packs, the type of engine, but at least consider that it has a hull lengthened by 10 meters.
But in my opinion, we continue to make a mistake, that is, thinking that they used (as your previous article from July 2019 suggest shttp://www.hisutton.com/ROMEO-Mod_Submarine.html ) a Romeo Class or rather the Chinese Type-033 version that was already supplied.
But since the Romeo/Type 033 class submarines were not only imported, but made directly in North Korea, one could also evaluate the option that starting from the original project and the technical knowledge in the creation of the Romeo/Type 033 class, the North Koreans they could have built this missile submarine from scratch, adapting the project to the new mission, and we must not forget that in the last 27 years since the last Type 033 incorporated into the North Korean navy, the world and even North Korea have technically taken steps to giant, both in the miniaturization and automation of many components, as well as in the creation of more compact battery packs while maintaining and even increasing the charging capacity.
Therefore, making assumptions like the one that they had to give up on battery packs without knowing the insides of the new submarine should at least be avoided.
Looking at this image helps put it into perspective.....
F5k1PYnXkAAs6Sq

Theres a hell of a lot more than a 10m stretch going on here

F5k1PYnXkAAs6Sq

I think I'll share the words written by a user (Rohirrim) in a Russian forum:

"Although they now write as they imagined that this submarine is a banal remake of the Romeo class, in response from North Korea they received such a complete and independent project. Although yes, in the hull shape you can see elements of the Romeo class and the Simpo project, but in general it is clearly a separate development."

he continues by writing:

"Time will tell what the new SSBN really is. But as I already noted here, the features of Romeo and Sinpo come into it, but in general this is a full-fledged independent project that takes into account the experience accumulated in managing these submarines. I would not be surprised if problems began to arise during operation - this is all within the role of the firstborn. It is he who will have to identify all the weak points and technical solutions of the project that will possibly require improvements. Let's hope that they are few and that they do not cause human victims. But in general - WELL DONE. And it seems to me that the South Koreans and the Japanese already know this well and are drawing the necessary conclusions"

F5k1PYnXkAAs6Sq

Who made that image/comparison?

Edit: If its to scale than this new submarine is around 100 meters long, hence extension was by around 23 meters, not simply 10.

Last edited:
Certainly Kim Jong Un in these 11 years in command of the DPRK has accelerated the modernization and strengthening of the armed forces and has shown us: Army: new armored and armored vehicles, new anti-tank missiles, MLRS of all types and sizes, tactical missiles, cruise and strategic missiles, air defense missiles.
The Navy used to be a bit of a Cinderella, but in recent months it has shown: corvettes with cruise missiles, submarine chasers, missile FACs and strategic tactical submarines with the ability to launch nuclear missiles.
But I suspect that the news isn't over........and I ask myself the question:
And nothing for the air force?
Aside from the two large drones recently presented, who knows if Kim Jong Un will also surprise us with a new manned combat aircraft .
Personally, I recently speculated by observing a satellite photo that appeared, in which what appears to be an aircraft with a line never seen before in DPRK and beyond.
So I expect a surprise precisely in this sector 8-)

Certainly Kim Jong Un in these 11 years in command of the DPRK has accelerated the modernization and strengthening of the armed forces and has shown us: Army: new armored and armored vehicles, new anti-tank missiles, MLRS of all types and sizes, tactical missiles, cruise and strategic missiles, air defense missiles.
The Navy used to be a bit of a Cinderella, but in recent months it has shown: corvettes with cruise missiles, submarine chasers, missile FACs and strategic tactical submarines with the ability to launch nuclear missiles.
But I suspect that the news isn't over........and I ask myself the question:
And nothing for the air force?
Aside from the two large drones recently presented, who knows if Kim Jong Un will also surprise us with a new manned combat aircraft .
Personally, I recently speculated by observing a satellite photo that appeared, in which what appears to be an aircraft with a line never seen before in DPRK and beyond.
So I expect a surprise precisely in this sector 8-)
Do you know something we don't Sahureka?:-)

Indeed the transformation has been nothing short of amazing for the army, navy, air defence and above all the missile/nuclear forces.

On the other hand, from the little i could gather there wasn't any specific mention of manned aircraft in the 2021 five year plan? Was there ever an oficial mention of such with other ocassions?

I sure hope you are right about a DPRK combat aircraft, first we've seen satellite pictures of the drones, and here they aare a few months later, presented in flight and at parades. Then we have a satellite picture of a mystery aircraft ...

Do you know something we don't Sahureka?:-)

Indeed the transformation has been nothing short of amazing for the army, navy, air defence and above all the missile/nuclear forces.

On the other hand, from the little i could gather there wasn't any specific mention of manned aircraft in the 2021 five year plan? Was there ever an oficial mention of such with other ocassions?

I sure hope you are right about a DPRK combat aircraft, first we've seen satellite pictures of the drones, and here they aare a few months later, presented in flight and at parades. Then we have a satellite picture of a mystery aircraft ...
just a guess, my mind went back to this satellite photo
nk-2-png.928078

and the hypothesis that had crossed my mind.
My following post from May 2023
https://pdf.defence.pk/threads/north-korea-defence-forum.448499/page-65#post-14347441

So i'm reading reports that KJU and VVP either visited or will visit the KnAAZ factory. What are the chances of Su-35 in DPRKAF colours? Hell, i'll be happy with some MiG-35 and Yak-130 for DPRK, for a start.

So i'm reading reports that KJU and VVP either visited or will visit the KnAAZ factory. What are the chances of Su-35 in DPRKAF colours? Hell, i'll be happy with some MiG-35 and Yak-130 for DPRK, for a start.
Kim is in russia today.
Russia and NK will tighten their links. Russia may need some shells for Ukrainia, and NK need some modern planes....

Source of rumor?

I return to remind everyone that North Korea is subjected to heavy sanctions and embargoes not only by the countries of the Western bloc as with Russia, but is subject to those of the UN which Russia also voted for.
So I don't think Moscow will take the step of supplying recently produced aircraft such as the SU-35 or YAK-130 series, nor any older second-hand SU-27/30s, but the situation is different if they supply aircraft already in use in the DPRKAF, to be clear the MIG-29 family (but also Mil-Mi-26 helicopters - Mil-Mi-24, Mil-Mi-8/17 and IL-76 transport aircraft) with extensive modernizations, which could be supplied complete or for the Mig-29 family with the sending of kits to be then assembled in the DPRK (a practice already carried out in the past), in this way it would be difficult for the foreign authorities to identify the new supplies and blame someone for having evaded their sanctions.
But the collaboration could also involve assistance in the design of an aircraft which will then be indicated as made in DPRK, with the transfer of knowledge to create in North Korean territory: components, turbofans (even if not of the latest generation), radar, electronics, etc. .
8-)something that won't be the SU-75, but could look like it
At the presentation of the SU-75 in 2019, a good artist had extrapolated a version of it in memory of times gone by, and stylistically it is beautiful even in this fake version.
E7NtnDMVkAACcDA.jpg

They say that the North Koreans built the new submarine using part of an old Romeo class submarine, who knows if they can use the same system by recovering parts from old MiGs to create a new combat aircraft :rolleyes1:

Last edited:
I return to remind everyone that North Korea is subjected to heavy sanctions and embargoes not only by the countries of the Western bloc as with Russia, but is subject to those of the UN which Russia also voted for.
So I don't think Moscow will take the step of supplying recently produced aircraft such as the SU-35 or YAK-130 series, nor any older second-hand SU-27/30s, but the situation is different if they supply aircraft already in use in the DPRKAF, to be clear the MIG-29 family (but also Mil-Mi-26 helicopters - Mil-Mi-24, Mil-Mi-8/17 and IL-76 transport aircraft) with extensive modernizations, which could be supplied complete or for the Mig-29 family with the sending of kits to be then assembled in the DPRK (a practice already carried out in the past), in this way it would be difficult for the foreign authorities to identify the new supplies and blame someone for having evaded their sanctions.
But the collaboration could also involve assistance in the design of an aircraft which will then be indicated as made in DPRK, with the transfer of knowledge to create in North Korean territory: components, turbofans (even if not of the latest generation), radar, electronics, etc. .
8-)something that won't be the SU-75, but could look like it
At the presentation of the SU-75 in 2019, a good artist had extrapolated a version of it in memory of times gone by, and stylistically it is beautiful even in this fake version.
View attachment 953029
They say that the North Koreans built the new submarine using part of an old Romeo class submarine, who knows if they can use the same system by recovering parts from old MiGs to create a new combat aircraft :rolleyes1:
Nonsense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom