What's new

Nordic Defense News, pictures, videos and history

This really doesn't have anything to do with a Nordic military, but meh, it's still cool.

SOLD! The Experimental Littoral Combat Ship Sea Slice Gets A New Owner And Mission

y6ymyb2a9f8gjh9qbzr6.jpg

One of the stories I received the most emails about last year was my profile on Sea Slice and its liquidation. Dozens of people wanted to know how they could literally buy the ship, many of which were credible. Now, it turns out that Sea Slice is getting a second chance at life after all—and a cool new eco-friendly mission.

The once military technology-demonstrator ship was shipped last October from San Diego to Rotterdam aboard the SAL Heavy Lift Vessel Frauke.Apparently, the voyage took 30 days. Shortly after arriving in Rotterdam,Sea Slice was towed via tug to Esbjerg, Denmark, where she was delivered to her new owners, Advanced Offshore Solutions. The firm provides logistical support and expertise to the burgeoning offshore wind energy industry in Europe.

wrqzt9mhbialswohb9oq.jpg

After receiving a refit she will begin work in the renewable-energy sector as an offshore windfarm tender and exploration craft. Her unique design allows for highly stable operations at speeds up to 30 knots, even while in high sea states (Sea State 5). Her large, wide deck area also makes the ship highly flexible for carrying various out-sized payloads.

Apparently, Global Renewables Shipbrokers was the go-between that made the deal happen. GRS managing partner Matthias Mross states:

“The Sea Slice is a special case in point to demonstrate how our customers can profit from our network and expertise. Bringing the right parties together from the outset and minimizing our time and cost expenditure is all part of our job and we are getting better and better at it.“

Hearing that Sea Slice will be put to incredibly good use is fantastic news. Often times unique vessels like these end up meeting the scrapper’s torch without getting the chance to prove themselves commercially. Supporting wind energy projects seems like an ideal use for the ship, and since the asking price was a mere $180,000, hopefully she provides a nice return on investment for her new owners even after shipping and refitting costs.

Hopefully Advanced Offshore Solutions will publish some pictures of her at work in her new role. Oh, and please, guys—don’t change her name!

2016 Selection and Recruitment.

FOS_VINTER_2016_gruppe_1.jpg

JK_20160112FOS_vinter_20160008.jpg

FOS_VINTER_2016_3000M_13.jpg

EspenHansenRiise0020.jpg

JK_20160115FOS_vinter_20160030.jpg

JKJ_FOS_VINTER_2016_Vindvott.jpg

JKJ_FOS_VINTER_2016_Masjering.jpg

JKJ_FOS_VINTER_2016_Blandet_dag.jpg

@Blue Marlin how's the snow you asked? Looks fine to me. Even good enough for a swim :partay:.

That said, Sandefjord doesn't get too much snow ever, but it does get a lot of rain and is humid year round. We are expecting snow towards the end of January-early February time frame.

2016 Selection and Recruitment.

EspenHansenRiise0020.jpg

@Blue Marlin how's the snow you asked? Looks fine to me. Even good enough for a swim :partay:.

That said, Sandefjord doesn't get too much snow ever, but it does get a lot of rain and is humid year round. We are expecting snow towards the end of January-early February time frame.
yeh i hate the snow
i would end up acting like this

a friend of mine who just moved to norway just sent me picture of the snow in oslo and its bad over there.:omghaha:

on the plus side i have a found good way to move the snow. yet make it look pretty at the same time:woot:
sad-snowman-by-mgshelton-800x586.jpg

im a northerner we are supposed to like the cold wet weather but when it snows and you fall on your arse the fun stops there.:frown:

C-130J Hercules flyet som Norge stiller i United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA), på flyplassen i Bamako, Mali.

The C-130J Hercules aircraft from Norway in United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA), at the airport in Bamako, Mali

2016-01-28%20Mali8.jpg

2016-01-28%20Mali7.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_8831.jpg

USMC in Norway moving equipment in preparation of CR16!!!

20160210tk_R3584.jpg

AA_USMC_Abrams_7.jpg

AA_USMC_Abrams_9.jpg

AA_USMC_Abrams_5.jpg

20160210tk_C0760.jpg

Frig%C3%A5rd_021016_Brohaug_MG_0048.jpg

Frig%C3%A5rd_021016_Brohaug_MG_0101.jpg

Frig%C3%A5rd_021016_Brohaug_MG_0091.jpg

Cold Response 2016

Cold Response is the Norwegian Armed Forces' main winter exercise. It is held every other year, and our partners are invited to participate.

Cold Response 2016 will be held in the Trøndelag counties in Central Norway from 19 February to 22 March. Around 15,000 military personnel from 14 nations are expected to participate.

This year, the following nations will participate in Cold Response: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Latvia, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden, the USA, the United Kingdom and Norway. In addition, there will be several participating units from NATO.

This year's exercise is divided into three phases:

Preparation phase: 19 February to 1 March
Exercise phase: 2 to 9 March
Closing phase: 10 to 22 March

Norwegian winter can be extreme, and the cold and changing conditions might be unfamiliar and surprising to many. In case of an emergency situation, military personnel need experience with combat operations in cold weather.

Norway is ideally suited for this kind of winter training, and exercises like Cold Response give us the opportunity to test and confirm our plans and tactics. Cold Response also strengthens cooperation between military and civilian organizations, and military cooperation between the participating countries.

I'll have a lot of juicy pics from CR16:yahoo:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom