What's new

None of the Ph.D Scholars Who Received Scholarships & Passed Returned to Pakistan: HEC

80 out of 132 Ph.D. scholars who went abroad after receiving scholarships through the Higher Education Commission (HEC) didn’t return to Pakistan after completing their research.

It was revealed by the HEC officials while presenting the annual audit report for 2018 during a meeting of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) presided over by PTI MNA Noor Alam Khan.

HEC officials apprised the meeting that the remaining 52 Ph.D. scholars failed their examinations and returned to Pakistan without receiving the degree, adding that the national exchequer incurred a loss of Rs. 955 billion in the process.

It is worth mentioning here that HEC rules require Ph.D. students who study abroad at the expense of the Pakistani government to return back and serve a minimum of 5 years in Pakistan.

When inquired about the recovery of financial losses from the failed 52 Ph.D. scholars who returned back to the country, HEC officials revealed that only 1 student has returned the expenses to the HEC.

HEC officials told the committee that the commission was forced to initiate legal proceedings against the 52 students to recover the losses. HEC has won 24 cases while the remaining 27 cases will be concluded soon.

Moreover, HEC has formulated a new policy under which Ph.D. students will be granted scholarships only after they submit the record and original documents of their properties in Pakistan to the commission to avoid such a situation in the future.

HEC would be authorized to confiscate the property in case a student doesn’t return to Pakistan.

MNA Noor Alam Khan expressed apprehension over the new policy and said that it will significantly reduce the chance of students hailing from an impoverished background to study abroad.

In response, HEC officials said that most of the 80 students who didn’t return to Pakistan belonged to the lower or lower-middle class. Thus, such a policy has been devised.

Noor Alam Khan suggested that HEC should allow students who don’t own any property in the country to submit an attorney or a guarantor to the commission in order to receive the scholarships abroad if HEC cannot relax the rules for them.
Truly shocking-" 52 Ph.D. scholars failed their examinations and returned to Pakistan without receiving the degree, adding that the national exchequer incurred a loss of Rs. 955 billion in the process. "

Poor caliber of students chosen , I wonder what the criteria was for sending them? No one fails a Phd once they start unless they drop out.

I remember one Pakistani Pathan who started a PhD in Microbiology at one of the UK Universities I worked for. Within a year 2 Research PhDs were pregnant and he was kicked off the course. He was self financed.

Another one I remember was a Jordanian Palestinian who had a nasty Zion professor as a supervisor who kept saying the work was inadequate and he had been doing the PhD for 7 years.

Other than a few researchers quitting their PhDs on medical grounds (mostly mental issues) never heard of anyone being kicked off their PhDs.

Last edited:
According to my brother who works in multinational companies like Erricson, Lucent, Nokia, and others, Indian engineers write some thing not true in their CV. Their perfomance is different with what they are supposed to be if we use their CV as the basis. It is in why, in my opinion, Muslim job seekers must be prioritized to fill any job because in Islam we are forbidden to lie.

80 out of 132 Ph.D. scholars who went abroad after receiving scholarships through the Higher Education Commission (HEC) didn’t return to Pakistan after completing their research.

It was revealed by the HEC officials while presenting the annual audit report for 2018 during a meeting of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) presided over by PTI MNA Noor Alam Khan.

HEC officials apprised the meeting that the remaining 52 Ph.D. scholars failed their examinations and returned to Pakistan without receiving the degree, adding that the national exchequer incurred a loss of Rs. 955 billion in the process.

It is worth mentioning here that HEC rules require Ph.D. students who study abroad at the expense of the Pakistani government to return back and serve a minimum of 5 years in Pakistan.

When inquired about the recovery of financial losses from the failed 52 Ph.D. scholars who returned back to the country, HEC officials revealed that only 1 student has returned the expenses to the HEC.

HEC officials told the committee that the commission was forced to initiate legal proceedings against the 52 students to recover the losses. HEC has won 24 cases while the remaining 27 cases will be concluded soon.

Moreover, HEC has formulated a new policy under which Ph.D. students will be granted scholarships only after they submit the record and original documents of their properties in Pakistan to the commission to avoid such a situation in the future.

HEC would be authorized to confiscate the property in case a student doesn’t return to Pakistan.

MNA Noor Alam Khan expressed apprehension over the new policy and said that it will significantly reduce the chance of students hailing from an impoverished background to study abroad.

In response, HEC officials said that most of the 80 students who didn’t return to Pakistan belonged to the lower or lower-middle class. Thus, such a policy has been devised.

Noor Alam Khan suggested that HEC should allow students who don’t own any property in the country to submit an attorney or a guarantor to the commission in order to receive the scholarships abroad if HEC cannot relax the rules for them.
So its clearly FIA task. And not FIA, then FBR task.

My personnel experience in this field. Behind every Indian working in Silicon Valley, he/she contract at least 10 Indian jobs back to his country.
1. In Google and Facebook, IBM, Amazon, Apple All Indian managers have 10x contractor team sitting in India.
2. That is how Indian system works. While on the other side, this part is completely missing, my Fellow Pakistani are minority here and there is simply no system exist in America to offload the jobs to Pakistan to boost the economy.

This is a slow process and muti front solution needs to be applied to make that end to end channel works.
1. First step was to send scholars to understand the American system. Lot of other countries do it as well.
2. Second step is to establish a channel to keep those fellows stay in America, but help establish a channel that can offload jobs to Pakistan.

Indians had achieved this not overnight. it took them 3-4 decades to achieve this. So dont expect an overnight success here. It is wrong to blame the people and Government.

Struggling to find jobs in Silicon valley it is dominated by Hindjews who keep tight control who they give good paying jobs to. Most of them are dumb with few exceptional ones who make the breakthroughs. Recruitment agencies have outsourced work to India who robotically keep sending irrelevant and low level work. Kudos to the Indian community who through their networks have consolidated their position in Silicon valley and own many large businesses and run large corporations. But behind their success is a lot of stress and distress as the poor Indian workers and families have been exploited.

I guess its a vicious cycle but one would expect that if HEC is sending people on scholarships they would have some sort of plan to use the education of those people on returning to Pak whether in the public sector or in collab with the private sector.

Exactly, the problem we have in Pakistan society as a whole:

- Strategy
- Implementation
- Enforcement
- Accountability

This program by HEC was to generate 10,000 over a period of 10 years; to boost Pakistani STEM base it's a program similar to what the Chinese did to get their base of the ground and up and running.

According to my brother who works in multinational companies like Erricson, Lucent, Nokia, and others, Indian engineers write some thing not true in their CV. Their perfomance is different with what they are supposed to be if we use their CV as the basis. It is in why, in my opinion, Muslim job seekers must be prioritized to fill any job because in Islam we are forbidden to lie.

It's true in the U.S. their is a CV mill --

They will take a QA course and the school instructors will manipulate the students CV, how you might ask? These instructors open a fake corporation with a tech savvy name to make it sound legit and create a website that acts as the front and advertise different work that's performed and put it on the CV.

Hence, you will see a lot of the quality and work done isn't up to par.

Exactly, the problem we have in Pakistan society as a whole:

- Strategy
- Implementation
- Enforcement
- Accountability

This program by HEC was to generate 10,000 over a period of 10 years; to boost Pakistani STEM base it's a program similar to what the Chinese did to get their base of the ground and up and running.

Very noble plan but the devil is in the implementation. I wish somehow they had managed to succeed, imagine the boost to the country's STEM base.

For short term it might be a loss for Pakistan but I feel it will be good in the long run just like India's case

1. PPP ruined HEC.

2. The current chairman of HEC is not living up to expectations.

3. HEC should reach out to its former PhD Scholars who have not returned to Pakistan to explain why they are not coming back, and make this information Public. If HEC cannot do this then GOP should create a fact-finding committee for the needful.

My cousin successfully completed his PhD from Stockholm University in Quantum Physics on a university's scholarship. When returned in 2017 he started teaching in Punjab University until he received threats due to unknown reasons. He returned back to Sweden and now serving there as faculty member. He strongly advised me not to get admission in PhD anywhere in Pakistan because he concluded that majority of the faculty members here don't even deserve to have M.Phil or Masters.

Often times if you are a brilliant student or doing some excellent research then the professor you are doing your PhD with will hire you on his team or get the university to give you a lucrative assistant professor's job.

Considering this opportunity and the standard of living in the west who in their right mind will chose to return to Pak where mullahs desecrate the grave of our greatest scientist just because he was Ahmedi.

I say more power to the 80 who ran away. Good job

My personnel experience in this field. Behind every Indian working in Silicon Valley, he/she contract at least 10 Indian jobs back to his country.

A lot of Corporations have made a decision to select India as outsourcing center - knowledge of English, size of Indian workforce etc. Even with those corporate decisions India accounts for 50% of outsourcing pie

Back
Top Bottom