What's new

No country for brave men

All decent human beings regardless of their religion would love to live in a society where cheap insults against prophets are shunned and punished harshly... Do you really think all non Muslims are so stupid that they want to go around insulting people left right and centre?
And if not you will kill them? It is the right of the people to say whatever they want... If you're inclined to kill them for it, then someone needs to take care of you.

You see none of us would ever in our darkest hour really insult the Prophet... But we will defend the right to free speech... I would rather die a free man now than die in 50 years living a life afraid of Mullahs.

This is the ultimate service to Pakistan. It is because of this, routinely media is prevented from commenting freely in Pakistan, if you take away the right of people to speak up, then today its blasphemy, then its state, then its leaders, then elders... there will always be insanely high importance things that can't be spoken against.

I don't buy the argument that all else is allowed except insult of Prophet because this is where humari matt maari jaati hai (all logic goes to hell). Are you a Muslim because you have imaan or are you a Muslim because no one had the freedom to be anything else in your family ever?

Blasphemy laws are a slippery slope. Give people their freedom, and you'll see that people will respond by not being insulting. At that moment the ones who will be hell bent upon insulting the Prophet will be the ones being recommended for psychiatric treatment instead of the ones advocating murder...

You d be a fool to think that you will overcome the Islamic element in Pakistan with threats on an insignificant little forum... before you see your dreams realize, you ll actually see an Islamic takeover of Pakistan...

What you are proposing is a total civil war in Pakistan... the end result of which will be that each and every secularist and liberal including the moderators and admins of this very forum will be hunted down and those who are caught will be hanged in the streets... You have been warned... ;)

I would gladly give my life for this service to Pakistan. Fear the day we picked up weapons like the Mullahs always do. If the government does not make an example out of Qadri, it is condemning Pakistan to this scenario.

Personally I am against the blasphemy law as it restricts freedom of speech to an excessive extent. One should be able to criticize religion. However I don't advocate disrespecting certain religions, if hate speech or blasphemy is done perhaps there should be penalties but death may be extreme. Also Pakistani judicial system needs to be more demanding of evidence.

Even though I am against blasmphemy law because I find the law over-reaching and too restrictive.

That doesn't mean I'm going to consider Mr. Salman Taseer most corrupt man in Punjab (or at least was) who was assassinated by his own elite guard not a Pakistani civilian. I'm not going to weep over him or lionize him or glorify him or consider him a martyr (maybe one can argue by definition) but not in spirit or symbolically as some emotional souls have done, with all respect.

People are forgetting all the corruption, all the black hand dealings, the decadence (as far as unprofessionalism goes), apparently Salman Taseer understood no consequences he did what ever he wanted when he wanted no consequence.

People here are portraying him a Hero all because of standing aside taking a photo op with Asia (and yes court hooray for him). This doesn't mean one forgets nor forgives the countless corruption and crime under him.

The man thought he was untouchable...

Now of course advocating violence is wrong, instead he should have been punished by the S.C and sentenced for his crimes, the legal way.

I hope my point of view will be tolerated just as I tolerate others.

Regards, Your friend, A1Kaid

I would gladly give my life for this service to Pakistan. Fear the day we picked up weapons like the Mullahs always do. If the government does not make an example out of Qadri, it is condemning Pakistan to this scenario.

Unfortunately I do not see Qadri brought to justice ,as presently still with the great mass of humans in Pakistan , intelligence still stuck in children's shoes. I hope we finally become intelligent and allow understanding and reason to prevail in order to dismiss the false religious and sectarian delusional beliefs and work towards bring such people to the power centers who work for true peace and for the people.

BLASPHAMY SHOULD BE PUNISHABLE BY DEATH,
THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.
I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ARE DISCUSSING THIS.

FREADOM OF SPEACH IS ONE THING
BUT GIVING PPL FREADOM TO INSULT A PROPHET IS WAY BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY.

AND YES SALMAN TASEERS MURDER IS WRONG.
BUT I WOULD'VE BEEN HAPPY IF HE WAS ARRESTED AND GIVEN THE DEATH PANELTY BY COURT, BUT HE WASN'T AND THATS THE PROBLEM

PS: TASEER SAID BLASPHAMY LAW IS A BLACK LAW WHICH COULD MEAN HE INDIRECTLY INDULJED IN BLASPHAMY. I AM HONESTLY CONFUSED ABOUT THIS PERTICULAR POINT.

Last edited:

PS: TASEER SAID BLASPHAMY LAW IS A BLACK LAW WHICH COULD MEAN HE INDIRECTLY INDULJED IN BLASPHAMY. I AM HONESTLY CONFUSED ABOUT THIS PERTICULAR POINT.

Does Quran say talking against the Pakistani blasphemy law is blasphemy too? And does it recommend death as the punishment
for it ?

Ok agreed, Blasphemy should be punishable by death, but what is the definition of Blasphemy?

There was a clear incident told on the Hamid Mir program yesterday where one Mullah declared a Hafiz-e-Quran a Blasphemous only because he had a personal grudge against him and got him killed. Who was the culprit here? There have been unlimited number of such cases majority of which were previously not brought into the open because of lack of media coverage.
The Blasphemy law was made by a man, General Zia, why is saying that the law is being misused Blasphemy?

Hazrat Muhammad (S.A.W) said that the one who attacks first in a war is "Zalim" and its wrong to attack first. So if Muslims attack someone (it is of course Jehad), so will calling this type of Jehad "wrong" Blasphemy?
If suppose tomorrow, some one writes a false book and calls it Quran, will the burning of that book be Blasphemy or insult to the Holy Quran?
Most of us are against The Taliban, Why? Taliban say that they are doing Jehad, so condemning someone who is doing something that has been called "Afzal" by Allah should also be Blasphemy? Why is the whole nation being Blasphemous, we should just allow them to blow up anything they want because it is Jehad and to Condemn it is Blasphemy.

Why is the definition of Muslim being changed to "the one who carries a beard and kills in the name of Allah"? Wasn't it suppose to be (As the mafhoom of the following Ayat) that a Muslim is the one who doesn't harm others with his hands or his tongue? Why is the religion of peace being portrayed as the religion of extremism, intolerance and violence? Who is damaging the image of Islam more? the Americans or the Mullahs?

Does Quran say talking against the Pakistani blasphemy law is blasphemy too? And does it recommend death as the punishment
for it ?

Not blasphamy
Pakistani blasphamy laws should be changed so that actual culprits are given the death panlety

Playing jump-rope with blasphamy
Blasphamy laws are black laws and should be repeled and ppl should say anything about anyone.

Say anything disrespectful about any prophet of Allah infront of *me and you** are in trouble, no matter how enlightedly moderate i might be.

* Me doesnot necessarely means me but most muslims
**you not like YOU but in general anyone

BLASPHAMY SHOULD BE PUNISHABLE BY DEATH,
THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.
I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ARE DISCUSSING THIS.

FREADOM OF SPEACH IS ONE THING
BUT GIVING PPL FREADOM TO INSULT A PROPHET IS WAY BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY.

Who defined Blasphemy is punishable by Death. Blasphemy Law is man made law and sold to the uneducated public as Sharia Islamic law. let humanity prevails over everything.

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan -- The funeral of the assassinated governor of Punjab province and the cheering of his killer in court Wednesday highlighted the intensifying struggle between secular and religious forces in Pakistan that has grown nastier than ever.

As the 26-year-old assassin, Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, appeared before a magistrate in Islamabad, to be charged with murder and terrorism, hundreds of supporters showered him with rose petals and garlands. Moderate religious leaders refused to condemn the assassination, and some hard-line religious leaders appeared obliquely to condone the attack.

Meanwhile, thousands of mourners thronged to Lahore for the funeral of the governor, Salman Taseer, a prominent voice for secularism who had recently become the focus of religious fury for speaking out against the nation's strict blasphemy laws, which impose a mandatory death sentence on anyone convicted of insulting Islam.

Many of the nation's top politicians, including Mr. Taseer's chief rival in Punjab and opposition leader Nawaz Sharif, did not attend the service. Neither did President Asif Ali Zardari, a friend and ally of Mr. Taseer, but out of concern for his own security.

Government ministers and party officials indicated that they were dropping the campaign to change the blasphemy laws that Mr. Taseer had championed. No senior official at the funeral could be drawn to comment on the religious-extremist aspect of the killing. Those who did comment indicated a shift in the government position, by suggesting that the killing was a political murder and a conspiracy, rather than a religiously motivated attack.

Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi avoided all comment and merely expressed his condolences to the family when approached by journalists. Interior Minister Rehman Malik went as far as to say he would shoot any blasphemer himself.

"We have a very, very severe polarization in the country," said Ahmed Rashid, an expert on the Taliban and radical Islam. "We have a small minority of extremists and small number of liberals speaking out, but the very large silent majority are people who are not extremist in any way, but are not speaking out."

Yet as the economic, political and social problems mount and extremism spreads, there is no sign of leadership from the government, he said.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, who did attend the funeral, was described by one national daily newspaper as "rushing from pillar to post" in his frantic efforts to keep his government from collapsing after two coalition partners withdrew from his government last weekend.

Certainly the assassination has thrown the government off balance, while the religious right -- as the conservative and religious parties are generally described -- remains unabashed in its loathing of Mr. Taseer and his opposition to the blasphemy laws, for which, apparently, he was killed.

The assassin, Mr. Qadri, hails from a suburb of Islamabad and lives with his family in Rawalpindi, the garrison town adjacent to Islamabad.

A follower of Dawat-e-Islami, a religious party based in Karachi, Mr. Qadri had joined the Special Forces branch of the Punjab police in 2002. At that time, after a routine check by his superior, he was declared a security risk because of his extreme religious views, according to a senior Pakistani police official.

In 2008, Mr. Qadri still managed to join the Elite Force of the Punjab police and had been assigned to guard the governor, raising questions about the vetting and screening of security personnel, said former police officials and associates of the former governor.

At a market in Islamabad on Tuesday, Mr. Qadri pumped more than 20 rounds into Mr. Taseer's back, Pakistani media reported, and yet was not fired on by any other security detail member, raising questions about whether any of the others knew of his plans.

Mr. Qadri immediately surrendered, called himself a "slave of the prophet," and indicated that he had killed Mr. Taseer because of the latter's campaign against the blasphemy law. Mr. Qadri so far has not been linked to any extremist religious organization, the senior police official said.

But investigators were still combing his phone records and personal belongings. They are questioning his five brothers and father. Five other police officers who served with him have also been detained, the official said.

The supporters of Mr. Qadri were boisterous Wednesday. Lawyers who two years ago campaigned so vociferously in the name of the constitution and the rule of law against Gen. Pervez Musharraf, then the president, were among those who feted the suspect when he arrived at court Wednesday. Some volunteered to defend him free of charge.

A former Cabinet minister and leading member of the 2007 lawyers' movement, Athar Minallah, said only a few extremists within the legal community would really support the assassination. "Among the 100,000 lawyers in Pakistan, less than half a percent would go out and throw petals on this criminal," he said. "But the rest are hostages because the government is not providing any security, and why should I risk my life and that of my family."

Mr. Minallah pointed out that the religious parties have never done well at the polls, and that the voting public, when given the chance, does not choose extremism.

Yet blasphemy is such an emotive subject in Pakistan that the day after such a high-profile killing, many seemed to side with the murderer, possibly for fear of being accused themselves.

Maulana Fazalur Rehman, leader of Jamiat Ulema Islam-Fazl, a fundamentalist Deobandi religious party, which left the federal Cabinet last month, seemed to issue a veiled warning to supporters of Mr. Taseer, saying that sympathizing with a blasphemer was just as extreme as blasphemy itself.

More than 500 religious leaders of Jamaat-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat, the party of a mainstream Sunni sect, the Barelvis, forbade its followers either to pray for or attend the funeral of Mr. Taseer, reported Jang, the country's leading Urdu daily.

In Lahore, Muhammad Ibrahim, 25, a recent college graduate and shop owner, was typical of those who did not condemn the killer. "We are Muslims, and nobody can compromise on the dignity of the Prophet," he said. "Salman Taseer crossed the limits."

Read more: Assassination deepens divide

Ok agreed, Blasphemy should be punishable by death, but what is the definition of Blasphemy?

There was a clear incident told on the Hamid Mir program yesterday where one Mullah declared a Hafiz-e-Quran a Blasphemous only because he had a personal grudge against him and got him killed. Who was the culprit here? There have been unlimited number of such cases majority of which were previously not brought into the open because of lack of media coverage.
The Blasphemy law was made by a man, General Zia, why is saying that the law is being misused Blasphemy?

Hazrat Muhammad (S.A.W) said that the one who attacks first in a war is "Zalim" and its wrong to attack first. So if Muslims attack someone (it is of course Jehad), so will calling this type of Jehad "wrong" Blasphemy?
If suppose tomorrow, some one writes a false book and calls it Quran, will the burning of that book be Blasphemy or insult to the Holy Quran?
Most of us are against The Taliban, Why? Taliban say that they are doing Jehad, so condemning someone who is doing something that has been called "Afzal" by Allah should also be Blasphemy? Why is the whole nation being Blasphemous, we should just allow them to blow up anything they want because it is Jehad and to Condemn it is Blasphemy.

Why is the definition of Muslim being changed to "the one who carries a beard and kills in the name of Allah"? Wasn't it suppose to be (As the mafhoom of the following Ayat) that a Muslim is the one who doesn't harm others with his hands or his tongue? Why is the religion of peace being portrayed as the religion of extremism, intolerance and violence? Who is damaging the image of Islam more? the Americans or the Mullahs?

i dont have cable at home so dont know what happened in hamid mirs program. and frankly i dont go to any mullaz coz we've got a lot of neem mulla khatra eeman type mullas and very very few actual know it all mullaz

jihad is fighting against evil (through pen sword, etc)
could be against muslims.

kashmir = jihad
phalistine = jihad

stupid pathetic arse*** blowing themselves up in the markets and places aimlessly killing ppl= not so much

Who defined Blasphemy is punishable by Death. Blasphemy Law is man made law and sold to the uneducated public as Sharia Islamic law. let humanity prevails over everything.

i know its a man made law for the most part.
and i support it if it is being handeled by the law enforcing agencies

Scores of lawyers gather showing support for ?assassin? – The Express Tribune

ISLAMABAD: The suspected killer of Salman Taseer was produced before a judicial duty magistrate amid tight security and heated slogans on Wednesday. The judge gave police a one-day physical transit remand of the suspect.
The District Court Islamabad premises were sealed and the area was cordoned off with the help of police commandos before the suspect was taken out of the Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC).

Initially, the police were reluctant to take the suspect to the court room and requested the judge to come to the police offices. However, not only the judge, Naeem Shaukat, declined the request but dozens of lawyers gathered outside the court room insisted that the suspect be made to walk through the lawyers to the court room.

With his eyes covered with a cap and his hands cuffed behind the body, the first thing Malik Mumtaz Qadri would have heard, the moment he stepped out of the APC, was a slogan ‘Namoos-e-Rasool Pe Jaan bhi qurban hai’ (roughly translating to ‘we are willing to lay down our lives for the Prophet’s honour’).
Rose petals were showered on him and heated slogans and roaring applause by dozens of people standing in the parking lot just outside the court room could be heard.

The concerned policemen quickly bundled Qadri into the APC, which soon vanished from the scene. So did Qadri’s supporters, the moment TV cameras stopped rolling.

Earlier some three hundred lawyers volunteered to represent Qadri in the court and defend his case. All of them put their signatures on the power of attorney to fight Qadri’s legal battle free-of-charge, even up to the Supreme Court of Pakistan.

One of Qadri’s lawyers, Chaudhry Muhammad Ashraf Gujjar, talking to media, complained that the police did not allow the suspect to talk to his lawyers despite court orders and shifted him to an unknown location.
The city police will produce Qadri before the Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) Rawalpindi, once they re-open after winter vacation on Thursday, for obtaining his physical remand.

He was booked under sections 7-ATA and 302/109 on the complaint of Taseer’s son Shehryar Taseer in an FIR registered in the Kohsar Police Station.
Published in The Express Tribune, January 6th, 2011.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom