What's new

Nirbhay cruise missile fails midway

Bhubaneswar: India's indigenous surface-to-surface cruise missile Nirbhay nose-dived midway after it test fired in Odisha on Friday.
nirbhay.jpg

According to Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) sources, the missile was launched from the Chandipur Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Balasore district at 11.38 am.

Although the take off was successful amid repeated disruptions of countdown, the missile missed the target after 11 minutes after it was test fired, said the sources.

The missile had a range of 750-1,000 km. But it nose-dived after covering 128 km in the Bay of Bengal.

The missile's first test on March 12, 2013 had also failed as it too fell after 20 minutes of flight. The second test on October 17, 2014 was also not up to the mark as it could not maintain a low height.

The cruise missile is expected to supplement the Indo-Russian joint venture supersonic cruise missile BrahMos, which can carry warheads up to 290 km.

The two-stage missile has a length of six metres, a diameter of 0.52 m, a wing span 2.7 m and a launch weight of about 1,500 kg.
Nirbhay cruise missile fails midway | Zee News
Better luck next time...

You are wrong, it just bow down to give respect to its elders outside india...very atticated missile ...would be more respectively in war scenario...good very good and indigenous spaceage technology achievement.

Last edited:
@kurup all those have a higher trajectory. Nirbhay will need more work on its navigation,design and guidance. Especially, if its going to be sea skimmer. If we are able to develop the navigation and guidance for autonomous flight for Nirbhay over sea, it will be an AWESOME cruise missile.

%E2%80%9Cour_greatest-100719.jpg

Our success just postponed no issues. This is just a news for fellow Indians here nobody knows the pains, ,sleepless nights .hard hard work of R&D team, even few Indians scolded them. Don't do that for god sake................

look how stupid pakistanis are jumping all over this thread:lol: poor chaps dont understand that GSLV rockect too failed on many occasions but its about to become new workhorse of ISRO. with subsequent developments thismmissile will also become fully war worthy:D

Toh kar bhi kya sakte hain.
Unke ghar mein toh kuch hota nahi jisse unhe kuch santushti ho.
So they better be happy when others slip up or God knows what else there is to live for.

You are not trying to understand what I'm saying. The point of all my bak bak is Americans didnt claimed there cruise missiles could do this or that from the get go. They upgraded their cruise missiles incrementally.

Compare it with Nirbhay cruise missile program. How many capabilities were claimed about Nirbhay and how many has been achieved ?

No no I do get what your bak bak means but no need to sugar coat your intentions.

No one ever said Nirbhay could do great stuff from the get go. That is only you people thinking otherwise.
People did say Nirbhay will be able to do great stuff once done.
And we too are upgrading Nirbhay incrementally, not every subsystem was tested on a single test.

But as I said, we'll see where you people are when we do end up succeeding.

Indians, correct me if I am wrong. "Nirbhy" means "dependence".

Well.. if dependence is undependable.. what else are you left with.

mmmmm. ok… this isn't the first time a nirbhay missile failed. a similar acutance happen before, but that self destructed upon command.
well developing weapons is always a learning curve, you have your successes and you have your failures. i think this missile was either a batch test or acceptance testing. it isn't in service yet so its likely thats its undergoing testing before service, it is typical for the client (IA) to want improvements which in this case may be reducing the CEP which is what may have caused the missile to crash, more in particular the gyro, as it never said the missile exploded but it nose dived which the gyro plays a part in the stability of the missile. either that or it may be software error, where the missile may go into its terminal impact (nose dive) trajectory very early.

this will no doubt slow down the nirbhay project. and temporary halt india's ambitions to have a nirbhay alcm, slcm and sbvlcm.

but i do have concerns though. its quiet strange to find a company like drdo to make a product that fails. drdo produces the agni missile series and they haven't failed so far, so why is this different ?

Nirbhay cruise missile fails midway | Zee News

Bhubaneswar: India's indigenous surface-to-surface cruise missile Nirbhay nose-dived midway after it test fired in Odisha on Friday.

According to Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) sources, the missile was launched from the Chandipur Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Balasore district at 11.38 am.

Although the take off was successful amid repeated disruptions of countdown, the missile missed the target after 11 minutes after it was test fired, said the sources.

The missile had a range of 750-1,000 km. But it nose-dived after covering 128 km in the Bay of Bengal.

The missile's first test on March 12, 2013 had also failed as it too fell after 20 minutes of flight. The second test on October 17, 2014 was also not up to the mark as it could not maintain a low height.

The cruise missile is expected to supplement the Indo-Russian joint venture supersonic cruise missile BrahMos, which can carry warheads up to 290 km.

The two-stage missile has a length of six metres, a diameter of 0.52 m, a wing span 2.7 m and a launch weight of about 1,500 kg.

IANS

First Published: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 14:24

Back
Top Bottom