What's new

Nightmare Scenarios

The real reason why he couldn't sleep:
obama-vs-romney-on-fb_o_760847.jpg

Of course. The first step is to resolve the Kashmir issue so that each side can get to building the infrastructure needed to utilize the water resources better.

As mentioned in the OP, despite Kashmir India has a reserve of 230 days .

Pak has 30 days.

Pakistan will be a desert in couple of years, government needs to hurry and implement focus on groundwater replenishing or we will need 5 2011 floods to make the country green

There is merit in this argument.

We are letting way too much sweet water flow into the Sea.

The need is to recycle this water inland from as near the mouth of the river as possible.

Its a natural cycle bro, river water HAVE to flow into the sea. If it doesn't, Ph levels will sky rockets, Sea Water Salinity will increase, Marine life will start to die off.
Water that evaporates from seas n oceans needs to be replaced by fresh water supply.

My hobby, I do this every week. Replace evaporated water with fresh water, check Ph levels,Salinity etc etc etc.

tvsidejuly2011.jpg

dimension

Of course. The first step is to resolve the Kashmir issue so that each side can get to building the infrastructure needed to utilize the water resources better.

While, I agree with most posts from the both of you, I have to disagree on this one. I believe we just get stuck on Kashmir. That's why I think it's of utmost importance to move along on everything that is actually possible and co-operate. The Kashmir issue and other problems will sort themselves out then slowly. Get rid of the meddling voices and interfering clowns who use the issue to rake up a mess and things will proceed smoothly. Just an opinion.

While, I agree with most posts from the both of you, I have to disagree on this one. I believe we just get stuck on Kashmir. That's why I think it's of utmost importance to move along on everything that is actually possible and co-operate. The Kashmir issue and other problems will sort themselves out then slowly. Get rid of the meddling voices and interfering clowns who use the issue to rake up a mess and things will proceed smoothly. Just an opinion.

It is quite obvious from the Pakistani stance that they will refuse to co-operate in any sphere in a meaningful way with India until and unless the Kashmir issue is resolved. Hence, in what area is it realistically possible to co-operate, given this stance?

It is quite obvious from the Pakistani stance that they will refuse to co-operate in any sphere in a meaningful way with India until and unless the Kashmir issue is resolved. Hence, in what area is it realistically possible to co-operate, given this stance?

I seem to remember the Govts moving ahead on many issues pre 26/11. Anyway, if we say Kashmir first we are bound to be stuck till eternity.

I seem to remember the Govts moving ahead on many issues pre 26/11. Anyway, if we say Kashmir first we are bound to be stuck till eternity.

Then may be we will remain stuck. Who knows? Eternity is a long time in international geopolitics, heck, even a few decades can turn everything around.

ONCE AGAIN....the 'issue' is your problem. If Pakistan wants Indian help in ameliorating ITS water shortage it should seek to build friendly relations with India - not pick 'issues'. It can also request China to build a river over the mountains in view of the relationship being higher than mountains

Its a natural cycle bro, river water HAVE to flow into the sea. If it doesn't, Ph levels will sky rockets, Sea Water Salinity will increase, Marine life will start to die off.
Water that evaporates from seas n oceans needs to be replaced by fresh water supply.

My hobby, I do this every week. Replace evaporated water with fresh water, check Ph levels,Salinity etc etc etc.

tvsidejuly2011.jpg

While I agree with the fact that rivers need to replenish the oceans, that replenishment is already being done to a certain extent by melting polar ice (which has really been accelerated by global warming) and coastal glacial ice of regions closer to North Pole (Iceland, Greenland, Alaska, Siberia etc). Which is exactly why sea levels are raising despite the damming of hundreds of thousands of rivers world over in the last century alone!

But then again, nothing replenishes the oceans with fresh water, minerals and nutrients better than the rivers which are much more widespread geographically than just by glacial ice melt which are concentrated towards polar regions and not really sustainable in the long run.

That is classical "blackmailing others to surrender by pointing a gun to your own head" maneuver!

With that kind of attitude, sadly it is Pakistanis, who will suffer despite getting a lion's share of rivers originating from Kashmir region.

And pardon my ignorance but frankly I don't understand what kind of cooperation between India and Pakistan can mitigate 'this' problem - unless that cooperation involves India letting go of its own share of waters under IWT!

That is classical "blackmailing others to surrender by pointing a gun to your own head" maneuver!

With that kind of attitude, sadly it is Pakistanis, who will suffer despite getting a lion's share of rivers originating from Kashmir region.

And pardon my ignorance but frankly I don't understand what kind of cooperation between India and Pakistan can mitigate 'this' problem - unless that cooperation involves India letting go of its own share of waters under IWT!

The reality is that blackmail works on many levels.

What should India do in case Pakistan runs out of water, Let the population die of thirst?

Are we that inhumane? I don't think so

The reality is that blackmail works on many levels.

What should India do in case Pakistan runs out of water, Let the population die of thirst?

Are we that inhumane? I don't think so

What many of us don't realize is how dire Indian position itself is when it comes to fresh water.

Pakistan's water problems are mostly man-made. They can easily be mitigated (atleast for foreseeable future) by building dams and reducing water wastage by changing their agricultural patterns.

While India also can do the same to certain extent, our share from Indus basin is much less (per capita anyway) and the potential for savings elsewhere is much less. The problem is actually much more acute and widespread in India - particularly in the vast southern/central and western regions. So much so that 2 southern states could have already gone to war over water if they were separate countries!

More importantly, India can't and hasn't been stealing Pakistan's water - despite their outlandish claims. So there isn't much India can do even if we wanted to help Pakistan out of humanitarian reasons. Unless the idea involves letting Indians die of thirst to help Pakistanis.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom