What's new

News from Bangladesh-Updates and Discussion

Dhaka to honour foreign friends Mar 27
Mon, Mar 12th, 2012 6:26 pm BdST

Dhaka, Mar 12 (bdnews24.com) – The government will on Mar 27 honour 129 foreign statesmen, philosophers, intellectuals, organisations and others, who helped Bangladesh in the Liberation War.

"The prime minister approved the list of foreign personalities on Jan 31 and necessary arrangements have been made to honour them on Mar 27," liberation war affairs minister AB Tajul Islam informed parliament in response to a question of lawmaker Shadana Halder on Monday.

"We have already honoured the then Indian prime minister, Indira Gandhi, and on her behalf, her daughter-in-law Sonia Gandhi received Bangladesh Freedom Honour on July 25," he said.

In the list, 47 are from India, 21 from US, 12 from UK and 10 from Russia.

'Dhaka-Ctg highway four-laning by Dec 2013' | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

List of Foreign Friends
http://av.bdnews24.com/file/2012/03/list of awardees.pdf

Dhaka asks Yangon to shut yaba factories
Bangladesh has demanded that Myanmar immediately close yaba tablet factories in the border areas to prevent its smuggling into the country.

Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) officials raised the demand at a flag meeting with their Myanmar counterparts in Cox's Bazar on Saturday. The sector commander level meeting that lasted for two and a half hour took place at a hotel adjacent to the sea beach.

In reply, Nasaka officials assured that they would inform the BGB about their decision in this regard very soon, reports a Cox's Bazar correspondent.

Col Md Bashirul Islam, Chittagong sector commander of BGB, led the 15-member delegation in the meeting while Col U Aung Gyi, director of Border Immigration Headquarters, headed the 17-member team of Myanmar.

At the beginning of the meeting, Col Bashirul said there are three yaba factories inside Myanmar which are very close to the Bangladesh border. Yaba tablets are smuggled from these factories inside Bangladesh which are ruining the youth.

“From this meeting, we are placing our strong demand to shut the factories to prevent smuggling of alcohol and yaba,” he said.

The BGB delegation also handed a statistics of yaba and other drugs seized during the last five months and a list of yaba factories set up in the Myanmar territory near the Bangladesh border to the Nasaka officials.

The Nasaka delegation head in its reply said they would apprise Bangladesh if there are any yaba factories in the Myanmar territory after an investigation.

He said Nasaka would take steps straight away to stop smuggling of drugs.

Speaking at a press briefing around 3:00pm, Col Bashirul described the meeting as successful.

He said they had a successful discussion with Nasaka on different issues particularly on closing yaba factories along Myanmar border, preventing drug smuggling, preventing intrusion of Rohingya, exchange of people detained in jails of both the countries, trade expansion in the border and troop build-up along the border violating the international law.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/latest_news.php?nid=36797

Lights off on Saturday for an hour

Dhaka, Mar 31 (bdnews24.com) – Bangladesh is expected to dim into darkness for 60 minutes as lights on monuments will be turned for one hour from 8:30pm Saturday to observe Earth Hour.

The government has decided to observe Earth Hour on the last Saturday of March to encourage households and businesses to switch off non-essential lights to save energy.

Bangladeshis will join hundreds of millions of people, businesses and governments around the world to support the largest environment event in history to raise more involved awareness on climate change.

On that day, people refrain from using non-essential electrical equipment for one hour from 8:30 at night local time in a collective display of commitment to a better future for the planet.

"It is voluntary. If somebody has work, they will definitely turn on the light or air condition but we ask the people not to use power," the prime minister's energy advisor Towfiq-E-Elahi Chowdhury had told a press briefing on Thursday.

Power Development Board chairman ASM Alamgir said if the people observed the day, the government could save 400 tonnes of liquid fuel and 1.6 million units of electricity.

Earth Hour started off as a national World Wildlife Fund for Nature initiative in Sydney, Australia in 2007. The following year, another 400 cities in 35 countries took part turning Earth Hour into a global movement by 2008.

Last year saw more than 5,000 cities and towns in 135 countries turn off their lights, making Earth Hour 2011 the biggest climate campaign ever.

Numerous public events will be held to mark Earth Hour among the 135 countries taking part in the event. For more, go to Earth Hour /Facebook/ Twitter /YouTube.

Earth Hour is preceded by World Water Day (March 22) and followed by International Earth Day (April 22). The latter is aimed at promoting awareness on our environment and climate change.

bdnews24.com/ssz/bd/sk/2000h
Lights off on Saturday for an hour | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Bangladesh to make mandatory Hindu marriage registration

DHAKA: Bangladesh is set to make mandatory the registration of Hindu marriages to ensure rights of the followers of the faith by bringing in a law on the lines of India, law minister Shafique Ahmed said here today.

"Registration of Hindu marriages is being made mandatory," he told a seminar on the rights of Hindu community with regard to marriage registration.

He said stakeholders' opinions regarding the proposed law had already been elicited and the matter was also discussed in the parliamentary standing committee on the law, justice and parliamentary affairs ministry.

Ahmed, however, assured that the government would not formulate any law that would hurt religious sentiment.

Citizens for Enactment of the Hindu Marriage Law organised the seminar to review a draft on the proposed registration law following the example of a related legislation in neighbouring India.

Organisers said the 10 women and rights groups had prepared the draft on the basis of inputs provided by 40 other organisations at grassroots.

The minister said despite the in-principle decision in favour of enacting the Hindu registration law immediately following Indian example, the follow up legislations for separation and hereditary laws could take a longer period.

"A detail review of the existing situation was needed to enact laws for separations in marriages and hereditary," Ahmed said. He added that a commission could be constituted to prepare a draft for Hindu marriage separation and hereditary issues.

Representatives of different levels of the minority community joined the seminar from across Bangladesh.

"Hindu wives in many cases were compelled to run their families withstanding physical and mental tortures from their husbands and in-laws in absence of provisions for marriage separation," rights activist Sultana Kamal told the seminar.

Community leader Subrata Chowdhury pointed out that a Hindu wife cannot seek separation even if the husband does not bear her daily expenses, opts for a number of marriages or keeps contact with other women and refrains himself from contact with his wife for years together.

Bangladesh last year enacted the Vested Property Law 2001, to allow the return of property of the minority community, confiscated during the 1965 Indo-Pak war when Bangladesh was eastern wing of Pakistan.

A process was now underway to constitute tribunals at all districts to resolve the disputes under the law, officials familiar with the situation said.
Bangladesh to make mandatory Hindu marriage registration - The Economic Times

Indo-Bangla jt cultural programmes in Tripura

PTI | 07:04 PM,Apr 08,2012
Agartala, Apr 8 (PTI) As part of Indo-Bangla joint cultural programmes, artistes of both the countries have been organising cultural shows in different parts of the two countries, official sources said here today. A group of more than forty artistes of Bangladesh and Tripura organised various shows on the works of Rabindranath Tagore for the past few days in Agartala, official sources said. Notable among those was Bangladesh's 'Manipuri Theatre' staging the dramatised version of Tagore`s poem 'Debotar Gras'. The group would also perform it at Silchar in Assam and also in Shillong of Meghalaya soon, Bangladesh officials said. The 'Pallabi Dance Centre' of Dhaka performed famous dance drama of Tagore 'Shapmochan' in New Delhi on Thursday last, they said. Meanwhile, Indira Gandhi Cultural Centre and Indian High Commission in Dhaka were organising Tagore's dance drama 'Chitrangada' in different parts of Bangladesh to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Tagore. First Secretary of Bangladesh Mission Obaidur Rahman said "we have launched cultural diplomacy to enthuse people of both the countries."
Indo-Bangla jt cultural programmes in Tripura, IBN Live News

The news about Bangladesh is that there are many new articles regarding the country published in many of the magazines and many more. The articles provided on the site about the topic is very interesting. Please produce some more attachments for the more detailed view.

nepal tour packages
nepal tourism

'Buddhist monastery' wall unearthed

Archaeological researchers yesterday announced unearthing a wall thought to be of a “Buddhist Vihara” (a monastery constructed during Buddhist rule from approximately the 8th to 11th century) in Raghurampur area in sadar upazila of Munshiganj.

“We found a wall, 2.5 meters in width and around 3 feet below the surface. We think it is part of a Buddhist Vihara here,” said Prof Dr Sufi Mustafizur Rahman of archeology department of Jahangirnagar University.

So far 30 metres of the wall has been unearthed. “We found three protruding portions from the wall, suggesting the presence of three rooms,” he said.

The site is next to the birthplace of Atisa Dipankara Shrijnana (980-1054), a renowned Buddhist monk and scholar, in the adjoining village of Vazrajogini.

“This means that the discovery will introduce a new dimension to the dignity and historical importance of the birthplace of Atisa and be a significant achievement for the nation,” he said.

Dr Mustafizur was addressing a programme organised at Munshiganj Jubo Unnayan Proshikkon Kendra in Vanga area of the upazila marking a suspension in their excavations till next winter.

Teachers and students of the department, assisted by Agrosor Bikrampur, a social organisation, conducted the excavation and research there under a project, “Archaeological research and excavation in Bikrampur region”.

The excavations were carried out in two phases, from April to June last year and from January 7, 2012 to yesterday.

A total 15 artifacts were presented yesterday, including an around 10-foot by 3-foot wooden boat (thought to be the oldest one unearthed in the country), a 10-inch black stone statute of a woman, a terracotta candle stand and some stone pieces bearing architectural features.

Addressing the programme as the chief guest, Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhit said, “The discovery of a new Buddhist Vihara here will invite a new era to our history and heritage.”

He said he plans to set up a new museum close by after the excavations end.

The programme attendees demanded allocation of more funds to conduct research in the region and changing the name of Munshiganj to its former Bikrampur.

Apart from heat, traffic congestion, open drainage system, foods, smell, there is nothing about Bangladesh when comes to shopping, especially women clothes. I mean every damn shopping mall full of Indian made garments. I as anti-Indian, this has been nightmare for me. According to shop kippers, Bangladesh is just like unofficial province of India. Yes, Bangladesh is Indian state because 99% women clothes are Indian and our shopping malls are made to promote Indian goods. :hitwall:

I could not just buy Indian made stuff so I have been going arounds diffrent shops for either Bangladeshi or Pakistani made Shalwar Kameez for my wife. It has not been easy and options are very limited. :angry:

Only thing was pure Bangladeshi and Pakistani was my Kurta(kabuli) suits. Clothes were Pakistani and tailor is Bangladeshi. :)

Laanat on Bangladeshi government for turning Bd a dumping ground of Indian garbage's. I pray this low life ****** politicians goes to hell after death :guns:

Why Lanat on them? Lanat on you, lanat on me! It is the Islamists of Bangladesh who Failed EVERYTIME

Apart from heat, traffic congestion, open drainage system, foods, smell, there is nothing about Bangladesh when comes to shopping, especially women clothes. I mean every damn shopping mall full of Indian made garments. I as anti-Indian, this has been nightmare for me. According to shop kippers, Bangladesh is just like unofficial province of India. Yes, Bangladesh is Indian state because 99% women clothes are Indian and our shopping malls are made to promote Indian goods. :hitwall:

I could not just buy Indian made stuff so I have been going arounds diffrent shops for either Bangladeshi or Pakistani made Shalwar Kameez for my wife. It has not been easy and options are very limited. :angry:

Only thing was pure Bangladeshi and Pakistani was my Kurta(kabuli) suits. Clothes were Pakistani and tailor is Bangladeshi. :)

Laanat on Bangladeshi government for turning Bd a dumping ground of Indian garbage's. I pray this low life ****** politicians goes to hell after death :guns:

take her to rina lateef in gulshan 1. its all pakistani clothing there and kaftan, your missus will like it.

I bet Bangladeshi and some Pakistani garment products are made from Indian cotton.

Gotta take off all the unholy Indian cotton! "><

Good number of Bakshali AL and there supporter are very secular and also hindu. So, according to the islamic believe they will go to hell after death. At least your wish they will fullfill :)

theres no point boycotting indian products, its simply not feasible.

I have found the following websites which sell Bangladeshi Salwar Kameez...

Bangladesh Salwar Kameez, Designer Salwar Kameez, Salwar Kameez Patters, Latest Salwar Kameez: Cbazaar

GiftDUNIA.com - Bangladesh Salwar Kamiz, Salwar kamiz bangladesh, bangladeshi salwar kameez for women, sharee, shari, saree, sari

Bangladesh Salwar, Bangladesh Salwar Manufacturers, Bangladesh Salwar Suppliers and Companies on Alibaba.com

The first 2 likely have a Dhaka office. You can contact with them.

Even apart from that the following face book pages has been found which sell likely Bangladeshi salwar...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moons-Boutique/262313297188470

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SAB-Boutiqes/281679748574729

You may now jump with joy as the following page sell also Pakistani salwar...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fashion-Villa-Bangladesh-Boutique-house/211256275559101

You can find contact info on the pages...

Courtesy to the following page which also sell stylish salwar n one of my cousin fall in love with one of the collection but that is out of order..

https://www.facebook.com/chic.rehnuma

The page owner is also hot ...;)

https://www.facebook.com/rt.tarannum

But you can try also Aarong, kay kraft, bunon... may be spelling mistake etc. In Gulshan you may find plenty such boutique which sells Bangladeshi salwar now a days...

Hope it will help...

BNP leader, Illiyas Ali has been missing for couple of days. Hartal has been imposed in greater Sylhet. Situation is very tense and will esculate further if is not found.

Back
Top Bottom