What's new

New Su-30MKIs fighter bases in East, West, South

i am also hopping for that b coz with more then 300 super sukhoi (as in future whole fleet will be upgraded to this) we can give a solid punch to our copycat frnd chinu's whole inferior sukhoi or abt 600 a/c of their whole fleet. thanks a lot for the reply.

Well, I am happy that our armed forces & specially our political leadership is finally giving importance to south in our whole security architecture, we always had the continental mindset & our eyes were only fixed on Pakistan & China, we forgot completely that Britishers din't came from land but sea. IOR is fast turning out to be a region of global importance with US, China, France etc. fixing there sight on it, it's important that we develop our Navy accordingly & also IAF not ignore that bases in southern region are equally important like bases in north, A sukhoi 30 in TN is just icing on cake, as with it's extended reach it can cover almost entire IOR & counter any threat to Indian interests, hope this is just the beginning & IAF will station more sukhois, tejas, rafale & probably FGFA in the south.

I disagree with you here, for me it's just a waste of important resources, that could be better used in the North West and North East. When there is no threat, you don't need big military forces, that's why for decades we didn't needed a big navy as well, because there is hardly any country that can send naval forces against us.
Even the forces of Sri Lanka and Bangladesh can't really compete here with our lower end fighters, so why place the high end there?

Imo, it would be tatically better to divert costal defence completelly to IN, because once their vessels are the main contributer here anyway, but with the growing number of fighters IN will have till the end of the decade and since most of them will be at shorebased IN airabes alongside the costlines and near to their major ports, you could easily divert air defence in these areas to them as well.
I would even go a step further, give IN all LCA MK1 and Mig 29 UPG squads too, since they will use the same fighters with the same techs, weapons and capabilities anyway from their bases. Same training, same logistics, same roles (air defence, maritime attack, strike) and replace the Mig 29s in IAF by more Rafales produced in France. IAF would only needs 2 or 3 squads of MKIs that are able to carry Brahmos at the costlines and can focus their placements to the important sectors, not to mention that it would speed up the modernisation as well.

However, it's doubtful that IAF will share these important parts of their power with IN and would rather waste such important assets there, before they give up something to IN.

What counts as "immediate" is debatable, especially in India. But there certainly are plans to have at least one squadron of MKIs in Andaman, and have been there for some time now. It makes a lot of sense too, since they can strike a lot of strategically important targets from there, as well as giving air cover to the navy in the east. They can dominate the Indian ocean and bay of Bengal, and prevent PLAN from coming anywhere into our areas of interest.

Those plans were revised, because the weather conditions and possible risks of Tsunamis makes it too difficult to operate fighter squadrons from there.
IAF has stated to cover that area from Kalaikunda, which will get an MKI squadron as well.

hey can u guys plz tell me the exact no of su30mki that we are going to have in future it is 272

270 is the plan, the media ist just confusing the numbers.

+140
+ 40
= 230 - 3 crashes = 227

+ 42

=> 469 (one was lost after another 42 was about to be ordered, but it is likely that it will be replaced as well, since they will be added to HALs productionline anyway).

I would like to see Su 30 and Rafales in Lakshadeep too.. Su 30 can cover AP , TN and kerala with ease besides providing as a cover from Sri Lanka and security to IOR region.
SL is not a threat, but considering they have sheltered pakistani aircraft in past, its must to moniter the activities. Already drones are operated from Ramanathapuram.
Actually AP is a,ready covered by Pune AFB..

Imo, it would be tatically better to divert costal defence completelly to IN, because once their vessels are the main contributer here anyway

If u remember, i said the exact same thing some time before that IN will ultimately go for around 200 fighters (90 migs, 60 mmrca & 50-60 LCA) & will not base them only on the ACs they have but also have shore bases (maybe one each at east, west & south), to completely takeover the coastal security & give air cover to the IN's fleet. But i guess, IAF which is already hurt by the procurement of attack helos by the IA, will not like to further lessen it's control & will hardly make room for anymore generosity.

If u remember, i said the exact same thing some time before that IN will ultimately go for around 200 fighters (90 migs, 60 mmrca & 50-60 LCA) & will not base them only on the ACs they have but also have shore bases (maybe one each at east, west & south), to completely takeover the coastal security & give air cover to the IN's fleet. But i guess, IAF which is already hurt by the procurement of attack helos by the IA, will not like to further lessen it's control & will hardly make room for anymore generosity.

A perfect planning , yes it is the modus operendi of all true blue water navy , they never procure a/c only for carriers ,look our copy cat chinu brother with out having a single ACs they have some 900 combat a/cs for PLAN and one more thing i cant understand why our IAF is so worried abt evry single aircraft that is brought by any single org in india , that is the culture of any emerging military power every body want its own supportive air wing , rather they sud concentrate on space pwr, satelites, increasing their reach by procuring more tankers, specialy lng range bomber etc.. any mordern AFs is recognised by its lng reach.

It would be a waste of money to buy more fighters especially MMRCAs for IN in case they would be in charge for costal defence. As I said, diverting the 3 x IAF Mig 29 upg squads + 2 x LCA MK1 + 1 x Jagar IM (if needed) would be more than needed besides their own N-LCAs and Mig 29Ks.
IAF would get Rafale instead, can reduce number of fighter types they operate, while IN would can focus on 2 x fighter types mainly, which also benefits training and logistics.

It would be a waste of money to buy more fighters especially MMRCAs for IN in case they would be in charge for costal defence. As I said, diverting the 3 x IAF Mig 29 upg squads + 2 x LCA MK1 + 1 x Jagar IM (if needed) would be more than needed besides their own N-LCAs and Mig 29Ks.
IAF would get Rafale instead, can reduce number of fighter types they operate, while IN would can focus on 2 x fighter types mainly, which also benefits training and logistics.

well i came to the figure b'coz of some hints in various news articles:

First we all know that the IN is going for 45 mig-29k as of now, if a report/earlier thread is to be believed than IN will order 45 more making the total to 90.

Second, as for NLCA, IN has already showed initial commitments for 50 or so ac, if the fighter turns out to be good, we can be assured of more ac orders.

Third, for MMRCA - Livefist: MAG REPORT: The MMRCA And The Indian Navy

well i came to the figure b'coz of some hints in various news articles

I know, but these numbers are just media reports that confusing orders, similar to MKI currently and I meant adding types only for shore based costal defence would not be necessary, but these reports mentioned more numbers only for the 2 carriers, which is silly anyway.

Second, as for NLCA, IN has already showed initial commitments for 50 or so ac, if the fighter turns out to be good, we can be assured of more ac orders.

Actually they have signed orders for just 6 yet and we know that around 80 of the 99 GE 414 engines will be diverted to IAFs LCA MK2s and that IN might want some N-LCA MK2 prototypes as well, so how many are left for N-LCAs?
And even if we think it through based on the number of fighters that can be carried on the the 2 carriers, we could have 15 x Migs on each carrier and 15 in reserve for training, which leaves hardly space for 10 more N-LCA at each carrier and another 10 for training if you want => total of 30.

Plans are in the offing to base these war birds at Bhuj (Gujarat), Sirsa (Haryana), Kalaikunda (West Bengal), Hashimara (in West Bengal) and Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu,” officials said. The strategic importance of the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) has compelled the IAF to bolster its capability in the region. Plans are in the offing to have a fighter jets in the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago, from where the Sukhois have operated in the past.

TN too? But don't they already have a powerful naval aviation presence? :what:

TN too? But don't they already have a powerful naval aviation presence? :what:

Nope, AFAIK, mig-29ks are based in IN's base in Goa - INS Hansa, so as for a fighter jet with maritime strike role, there is none.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom