What's new

New naval Stuff and Ships In The Market PN should look at them

Super Falcon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
as we all know our mine sweeping capabilities is 30 years old and we hardly have any ship dedicated to anti air role their is something new came from swdeen and australia pn should have a close look at them look cool to me and i dont think so that they are too expansive any way here are their detaills.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

The Hobart Class air warfare destroyers (AWD) are being built by ASC for the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). The air warfare destroyer programme, known as SEA 4000, will deliver advanced multirole warships to replace the FFGs of the RAN.

The three AWDs will be named HMAS Hobart, HMAS Brisbane and HMAS Sydney. The first AWD is expected to be delivered in December 2014, and the second and third warships are slated for early 2016 and mid-2017 respectively.

Air warfare destroyer programme

The Hobart Class AWD programme is intended to deliver an affordable, effective, flexible and sustainable air warfare destroyer platform to the RAN. The requirement for modern warships was established by the Kinnaird Review in 2003. Gibbs & Cox and Navantia submitted warship designs to the Commonwealth Government.

The Australian Government selected ASC as the shipbuilder for the programme in May 2005. In June 2007, the existing design of Navantia was selected as a platform for the AWD programme. ASC entered into an alliance-based contract with the Defence Materiel Organisation and Raytheon Australia.

Hobart Class AWD design

"The AWD platform is based on the Navantia-designed F100 frigate."The AWD platform is based on the Navantia-designed F100 frigate, which is in service with the Spanish Navy. The baseline design has been slightly modified for Australian use, including the displacement of the AWD being increased to 7,000t, and the hangar modified to accommodate a range of helicopters.

The range now includes powerful diesel engines combined with improved fuel tank arrangements. The design also incorporates a bow thruster to provide better manoeuvrability.

AWD construction

The AWD Alliance subcontracted the FORGACS group and NQEA Australia as the preferred suppliers to build 70% of the blocks. In June 2009, the work allotted to the NQEA was transferred to BAE Systems Australia due to financial obligations.

The hull blocks of three destroyers are being constructed at three shipyards, including ASC in Osborne, BAE Systems in Melbourne and Forgacs in Newcastle. The assembling, outfitting, equipment and systems installation and trial activities will be carried out at the newly opened Osborne shipyard of ASC.

Hobart Class AWD missions

The Hobart Class will provide air defence for vessels, land-based forces and infrastructure in coastal lines. It will also defend and destroy missiles and aircraft within a range of 150km. The destroyers can also be deployed in law enforcement operations, defence aid to the civil community, collection of environmental data, rescue operations and diplomatic roles.

The Hobart Class will be equipped with advanced sonar systems, decoys and surface-launched torpedoes for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) operations.

Hobart Class AWD weapon systems

The Hobart Class AWDs will be the first RAN warships to be equipped with the Aegis combat system. Aegis includes a SPY-1D(V) radar, Mk 41 vertical launch system (VLS), SM-2 standard missile and an open architecture (OA) combat system.

"The Hobart Class will provide air defence for vessels."The AWD will also be armed with the SM-6 long-range anti-aircraft missile, the Harpoon anti-ship missile system and Mk32 Mod9 surface vessel torpedo tubes (SVTT) for MU90 torpedoes.

The AWD will be fitted with a BAE Systems Mk 45 5" 62 calibre gun and a Phalanx Block 1B close-in weapons system (CIWS).

AWD helicopter system

The Hobart Class will feature a flight deck and a hangar to allow the operations of helicopters and UAVs. The existing hangar design will be modified to carry a wide range of helicopters.

Hobart Class countermeasures

"The Hobart Class will be equipped with advanced sonar systems and decoys."The destroyer is equipped with a ES-3701 tactical radar electronic support measures (ESM) and surveillance system. In December 2008, the AWD Alliance awarded a contract for the supply of a decoy launching system to Terma. Four deck-mounted MK-137 130mm decoy launchers can fire decoys to deceive incoming anti-ship missiles. Other countermeasures include Nulka active missile decoy launchers and ASW torpedo decoys.

AWD sensors

The AWD's sensor suite will include AN/SPY-1D(V) phased array radar, horizon search radar, SAM Electronics X-band navigation radar, integrated hull-mounted and towed array sonar system, and VAMPIR infrared search and track (IRST) system.

Hobart Class propulsion

The AWD will be equipped with a combined diesel and gas (CODAG) propulsion system with two GE LM 2500 gas turbines and two diesel engines. The vessel will also be fitted with a bow thruster for improved manoeuvrability

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

The Styrsö Class mine countermeasures vessels (MCMV) are in service with the Swedish Navy. The class was built by Sweden-based Kockums, an arm of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems. The four vessels are named after islands from archipelagos of Sweden.

The first vessel of the class, HMS Styrsö, was launched in March 1996 and commissioned in September 1996; the second, HMS Spårö, was launched in August 1996 and commissioned in February 1997; the third, HMS Skaftö, was launched in January 1997 and commissioned in June 1997; and the last vessel in the class, HMS Sturkö, was launched in June 1997 and commissioned in December 1997. The 3rd Naval Warfare Flotilla and 4th Naval Warfare Flotilla of Swedish Navy operate the vessels.

HMS Spårö and HMS Sturkö were modified to mine clearance divers support vessels in 2004. The minehunting abilities of the vessels were retained. The modified ships are also referred to as the Spårö Class.

Styrsö Class vessels demonstrate a high degree of manoeuvrability. The medium-sized vessel offers similar capabilities as a large mine countermeasures vessel. These ships can be deployed in coastal waters to perform traditional mine sweeping operations and hunting of bottom mines.

Styrsö design

The Styrsö Class is based on the MCMV 36 design of the Kockums. The vessel is made of glass fibre-reinforced plastic (GRP) sandwich material to provide good resistance against shock.

"The Styrsö Class mine countermeasures vessels (MCMV) are in service with the Swedish Navy."The hull of the vessel is built with completely non-magnetic material and has very low magnetic and acoustic signatures.

The class is equipped with mechanical, magnetic and acoustic sweeps. A remotely controlled, autonomous SAM minesweeping system is installed for mine-hunting and minesweeping operations.

The forward part of the superstructure has a storage compartment which accommodates the underwater vehicles.

The vessel can carry type Uven underwater remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) and has provisions for the next generation of ROVs.

Styrsö Class combat system

The combat information centre (CIC) is located on the lower deck in the aft of the bridge. The close accessibility between the bridge command and the CIC increases work efficiency. The combat system has five general operator consoles. The fully integrated system is based on commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) technology. The system is built around a local area network (LAN).

Guns

Styrsö Class mine countermeasures vessels are armed with two 12.7mm machine guns.

Mine countermeasures

The Styrsö Class is equipped with self-propelled acoustic magnetic (SAM) system. It is an unmanned minesweeping drone for sweeping of influence mines. The small remote control unit can be installed anywhere onboard the ship. The vessel is fully equipped with systems for sweeping, navigating and remote control operations.

The vessel is also equipped with a mine-hunting module. This module includes an ROV which can be configured as either a mine disposal vehicle (MDV) or a propelled variable depth sonar (PVDS). A minehunting sonar is carried in the bow for the PVDS to conduct route survey and minehunting including underwater search, object detection and classification. In addition to the towed sweep, the combat system includes remotely controlled SAM sweep.

Styrsö Class sonars

The mine countermeasures vessels are fitted with Reson Sea Bat 8100 high-frequency active sonar for mine avoidance and EG & G high frequency side scan sonar for route survey.

"Styrsö Class vessels demonstrate a high degree of manoeuvrability."Navigation and communication

Navigation is provided by an integrated system which includes sensors, data processing and data distribution equipment.

All sensors are connected to a computer which processes and distributes navigation data through the LAN.

The integrated communication system provides the tactical operators access to internal and external communications. The operator consoles integrated into the bridge feature facilities for communication control and message handling.

Propulsion

Styrsö is powered by two Saab Scania DSI 14 diesel engines. Each engine drives a fixed-pitch propeller through reduction gears. A hydraulically driven waterjet type bow thruster is fitted to provide high manoeuvrability during minehunting. There are two main generators to supply power during normal operations.

Expand Image
Four Styrsö Class mine countermeasures vessels (MCMV) are in service with the Swedish Navy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expand Image
The Styrsö Class mine countermeasures vessels demonstrate a high degree of manoeuvring properties.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expand Image
The Styrsö Class is based on the MCMV 36 design from Kockums.

Expand Image
The Styrsö Class is equipped with mechanical, magnetic and acoustic sweeps.

Related Projects:

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

The Yasen / Graney-class submarines are being built by Russia’s Sevmash shipyard for the Russian Navy. The submarines are being developed as part of Project 885 Yasen and are preceded by the Akula-class.

The keel of the first submarine of the class, Severodvinsk (K-329), was laid down in December 2003. Construction was delayed due to a lack of funds. The Severodvinsk is scheduled to be launched in May 2010 for commissioning later in the year.

The second submarine, Kazan, was laid down in July 2009. It is expected to be launched during 2013-14 for commissioning before 2015. The Graney-class will replace the Akula-class and Oscar-class submarines.

The submarines can be deployed in anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, surveillance operations and special missions.

Design and features

"The Yasen / Graney-class submarines are being built by Russia’s Sevmash shipyard for the Russian Navy."The submarine's hull form is built with low magnetic steel to reduce its magnetic signature. The submarine is smaller than the Akula-class but possesses more fire power. It is the first Russian submarine to be fitted with spherical sonar known as Irytysh-Amfora. The torpedo tubes have been slanted due to the large size of the spherical sonar. The design houses torpedo-launching systems behind the central station compartment.

The submarine can accomodate 50 crew members. In comparison, the US Navy Virginia-class attack submarine has 134 crew. The vessel has an overall length of 111m, a beam of 12m and a draft of 8.4m.

Missiles

The submarine can launch long-range cruise missiles with nuclear warheads against submarines, surface warships and land-based targets. The submarine has eight vertical launching system tubes for cruise missiles.

The class is armed with 3M51 Alfa submarine-launched cruise missiles (SLCM), P-800 Oniks or the SS-N-21 Granat/Sampson SLCM. The 3M51 Alfa engages targets within the range of 300 to 800km and can carry a nuclear warhead.

The P-800 Oniks is a long-range supersonic anti-ship missile fired against surface ships and submarines. The missile uses low-low and high-low flight patterns for targets within 120km to 300km. It has a length of 8.9m and a diameter of 700mm. The maximum speed of the missile is Mach 3.

Torpedoes

The submarine is fitted with eight 25.6in torpedo tubes, mines and missiles. The tubes can launch VA-111 Shkval rocket torpedoes, SAET-60M, Type 65-76, Type 65K torpedoes and RPK-7/SS-N-16 Veter/Stallion anti-submarine rockets.

"The submarine is fitted with eight 25.6in torpedo tubes."The VA-111 Shkval torpedo is 8.2m long and has a diameter of 533mm. It weighs 2,700kg and is capable of carrying a 210kg warhead. The torpedo has a speed of 200kts and can hit targets from 7,000m to 13,000m. A total of 24 torpedoes, missiles or mines are carried by the tubes.

Countermeasure systems

The submarine’s electronic countermeasures include a Rim Hat radar intercept receiver, a Snoop Pair surface search radar and a Myedvyeditsa-971 Radar.

Submarine sensors

The submarine is equipped with Irtysh/Amfora integrated sonar suite. The system consists of a MGK-500 Shark Gill low-frequency passive/active search and attack spherical bow array, a Mouse Roar very low-frequency flank array and a Skat 3 towed array. The suite was developed by the Morphyspribor Central Research Institute.

Propulsion

The submarine is powered with a KPM type pressurised water reactor, steam turbine, a shaft and a propeller. The reactor is rated at 200MW. The propulsion system provides a maximum submerged speed of 35kts and a surface speed of 20kts.

Bahi i agree with you but there is a saying slowly slowly catch the monkey.. we are well on our way to be adding new ships and hopefully some new subs lets see where it takes us inshallah.

Last edited:
Neither RAN nor Sweden will provide PN anything significant in the near future specially when we are talking about surface vessels.
PN Mine Hunting capability will be improved by many times with the induction of upgraded/refurbished FFGs.

Last edited:
Besides, assuming any F-100 frigates could be had, why buy from Australia rather than the original Spanish designer and builder Navantia? I doubt the agreement between Spain and Australian for building the AWD allows for seperate Australian production and sales (beyond their own armed forces)

As for mine counter measures, PN has three relative modern Tripartite MCM vessels. It is a GRP minhunter originally jointly developed by the Netherlands, Belgium and France (hence the design name). France built the mine-hunting equipment, Belgium provided the electronics, and the Netherlands constructed the propulsion train. The Netherlands originally bought 15, with Belgium and France buying 10 each. The ships have been in service with these navies from the 1980s, respectively as Eridan, Flower and Alkmaar classes.

In its original configuration, this small coastal minehunter is equipped with a Decca TM 1229C navigation radar, a DUBM-21B minehunting sonar, two PAP-104 mine disposal remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), a minimal minesweeping capability as well as a 20mm L73 GIAT cannon and two 12.7mm Browning machine guns.

Following the orders by the above three navies, Indonesia purchased 2 from the Netherlands from the Netherlands procurement program (Pulat Rengau class). Pakistan purchased 1 vessel from the French Navy and 2 brand new vessels, of which 1 was built in France and the other in Pakistan (Munsif class).

Belgium has paid off 4 vessels of the class and sold 1 to Bulgaria and 3 to France. All 6 remaining Belgian vessels have undergone an extensive upgrade during 2004-2008 involving replacement of the anti-mine warfare equipment. The Netherlands has paid off 5 and sold them to Latvia (Imanta class). All 10 remaining ships have undergone the same upgrade as the Belgian ships. The current French inventory comprises 13 ships (10 original + 3 ex-Belgian ships. Thales Group has upgraded France's Tripartite minehunters.

The PAM (Project Adaptation Minehunters) a.k.a. Capability Upgrade Program (CUP) involved installation of a new suite of mine countermeasures (MCM) systems, which are based on the German company's Integrated MCM System (IMCMS).

In addition to new sensors (2 minhunting sonars: 1x Thales Underwater Systems TSM 2022 Mk III hull mounted sonar, 2x SAAB Bofors Double Eagle Mk III Self Propelled Variable Depth Sonar, of which 1 armed for mine disposal and 1 for underwater inspection) and communication means, PAM included a new kitchen, new fire detection and extinguishing installations, a new water treatmant installation, and an unmanned Technical Centre.

LENGTH 51.60m
BEAM 8.96m
DISPLACEMENT 535 tons / 605 tons (fl)
ARMAMENT 1/20mm AA, 2/12.7mm machine guns
MACHINERY 1 diesel; 1 CP propeller; 1900 bhp
SPEED 15 knots
RANGE 3000 / 12
COMPLEMENT 50

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripartite_class_minehunter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom