What's new

New Life in New Zealand for Syrian refugees

patero

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/national/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503075&gal_cid=1503075&gallery_id=174885

It is a long way from the war torn country of Syria for this family, not just the distance but in many other ways. To see the happy look on the faces of these children makes me feel good that our country can provide some a new home, but I would like our government to do more and increase our intake.

I have plans to hire refugees for our business, and to treat them with the same respect and dignity as any other human being, for I believe we are all equal as human beings. Embracing diversity, respecting others beliefs and cultures and learning from people from different countries are important values for our company. Our company will evolve and develop as a result, and help us adapt in the future as we grow into export markets.

There will no doubt be challenges for us and the new migrants, but we have the will to make things work. I have a friend who was a Kurdish refugee willing to consult with me, her family has been in New Zealand for 15 years now. She doesn't mind where the migrants come from, technically as a Kurd she is supposed to ill-disposed towards those her people have conflict with. She has Persian friends, Arab, Turkish and others here in New Zealand as well as many Kiwi's such as myself (she is married to a Mexican).

Anyway I wish the best for this family and others who come to our quiet little country on the far side of the world.

Uh, Ok.

I won't judge you for your comment, but rather I will continue to make the point that caring for people is important, particularly those who are vulnerable. Sure, migrants are often mistreated and exploited, even here in New Zealand. But we want to help those who come here and to make their transition to a new life easier.

Back
Top Bottom