What's new

New Japan PM could be good for China?

Korean language, however, is much closer to Japanese. The grammar is very similar, and both have imported about half of their vocabulary from Chinese, which makes these three languages almost mutually understable in the written form, thanks to Chinese characters (rarely used in Korea nowadays, except in place names).

Probably not exactly. persoanlly I have some experiences with Koreans.

1. My Grandma travelled once , alone, from HK to Italy to Belgium. She doesn't speak English and almost got lost in the int'l airport. Luckily, she knocked into a Korean lady. Then they communicated by writting traditional Chinese, the Korean lady helped her all the way...

2. I once travelling in Northwest Spain in summer by train , where I met a group of young Koreans of Junior High school level. They confused me with HongKong actor/singer Andy Lui :-)smitten:yeah, Liu looks like me a lot) and chased along the train for my autographs and taking photos, etc. They spoke broken English which I had no clue...in the end, we communicated successfully by writing Chinese, which many of them know how to read and write that impressed me.

Probably not exactly. persoanlly I have some experiences with Koreans.

1. My Grandma travelled once , alone, from HK to Italy to Belgium. She doesn't speak English and almost got lost in the int'l airport. Luckily, she knocked into a Korean lady. Then they communicated by writting traditional Chinese, the Korean lady helped her all the way...

2. I once travelling in Northwest Spain in summer by train , where I met a group of young Koreans of Junior High school level. They confused me with HongKong actor/singer Andy Lui :-)smitten:yeah, Liu looks like me a lot) and chased along the train for my autographs and taking photos, etc. They spoke broken English which I had no clue...in the end, we communicated successfully by writing Chinese, which many of them know how to read and write that impressed me.

Yeah, true, I been Korea twice, looking for someone speak English will be like looking for miracles, not sure they know anything about Chinese, but some of their writing remind me of Chinese though.

Speeder, i hate to remind you, but i think you made one of the biggest mistake for the highlighted part, be prepare a lot of PM from...... members, good luck pal. :hang2:

Yeah, true, I been Korea twice, looking for someone speak English will be like looking for miracles, not sure they know anything about Chinese, but some of their writing remind me of Chinese though.

Speeder, i hate to remind you, but i think you made one of the biggest mistake for the highlighted part, be prepare a lot of PM from...... members, good luck pal. :hang2:

All said PMs would be redirected to Vantican general mailbox a.s.a.p.:D

<For example, Koreans claimed to have 'invented' Chinese language --- from their historical point of view this is TRUE. Why you ask?! Let me explain: Koreans are believed to be MAINLY derived from a small community in central china that traveled and set up in modern-day Korea. This small community existed in a time of warring states, and it split up into 2 ===> One moved to Korea, and the other to Viet Nam. There may be some truth is this, as Koreans and Vietnamese share a characteristically similar flat face and large pronounced jaw-line.>

Fascinating.

< as Koreans and Vietnamese share a characteristically similar flat face and large pronounced jaw-line.>

I think the Vietnamese would object to this. Sh*t they seem to claim they have bigger eyes than the East Asians.

<They confused me with HongKong actor/singer Andy Lui>

Universally known as Andy Lau (Cantonese style).

<2. I once travelling in Northwest Spain in summer by train , where I met a group of young Koreans of Junior High school level. They confused me with HongKong actor/singer Andy Lui (yeah, Liu looks like me a lot) and chased along the train for my autographs and taking photos, etc. They spoke broken English which I had no clue...in the end, we communicated successfully by writing Chinese, which many of them know how to read and write that impressed me.>

Your experience on this one surprised me. I've been to SK three times (I think) to visit LG.

From my experience there, the young people there are not interested in learning Chinese characters. I asked a few young people there whether they can read and write Chinese characters and the answer was no and I was surprised. Then I asked why not? They are too difficult to learn and they would rather learn Hangul. However, it's true that the old folks there can read and write Chinese characters. At LG, the people's business cards would have their names in Chinese characters and English.

But times have changed since then because of China's economic/military powers, so maybe I should not be surprised by your experience.

Sh*t, even the people in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Philippines are learning Mandarin now.

All said PMs would be redirected to Vantican general mailbox a.s.a.p.:D

Pal, its always good to be young, danger=excitement, learning through bad experience will be part of the growing process......

Anyway, man, did you notice one crazy thing in Korea? motorcycles running on pedestrian side walk, no safe place to walk around on the streets.:cheesy:

<Anyway, man, did you notice one crazy thing in Korea? motorcycles running on pedestrian side walk, no safe place to walk around on the streets.>

Where in Korea did you see this and how recent? If you want to see crazy sh*t like this go to Taiwan. Sh*t scooters there can go where pedestrian go (i.e., sidewalk, crosswalk, wrong direction, U turn, etc.). WTF?

<They confused me with HongKong actor/singer Andy Lui>

Universally known as Andy Lau (Cantonese style).

sorry, I learned pin ying in China when I was little. It should be Liu.

... But times have changed since then because of China's economic/military powers, so maybe I should not be surprised by your experience.

maybe I've misled you by saying many of then could "read and wring Chinese" . ...it was a group of more than a dozen, very young ( last year of junior high or 1st year of high school). I can't remember if they could pronounce, I said "read" ïn the sense of write - I assumed that they could read becuas ethey could wirte, which probably is false in retrospect. Many of them ( 4 or 5 out of 7/8 I have interacted with) could write simple Chinese such as Hong Kong, Andy Liu, etc. simple expressions and frases. That alone really impressed me given they were very young school kids.

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 AM ----------

Anyway, man, did you notice one crazy thing in Korea? motorcycles running on pedestrian side walk, no safe place to walk around on the streets.:cheesy:

where? youtube?

Beware of motorcycles on the sidewalk. I’m not kidding. Motorcycles are apparently legal on the sidewalk in Korea. All the cyclists I have observed are very aware of everyone on the sidewalk so it’s not like you have to jump aside if you hear a motor coming up behind you, but you should also not make any sudden shifts to the right or left without looking. :partay:
Never Felt Safer - Health and Safety in South Korea - Epinions.com

Beware of motorcycles on the sidewalk. I’m not kidding. Motorcycles are apparently legal on the sidewalk in Korea. All the cyclists I have observed are very aware of everyone on the sidewalk so it’s not like you have to jump aside if you hear a motor coming up behind you, but you should also not make any sudden shifts to the right or left without looking. :partay:
Never Felt Safer - Health and Safety in South Korea - Epinions.com

I've never been to Korea. can immagine what you said though. Sounds like driving in Paris old town, where there're almost no traffic police at any time of a day and many parts being without traffic lights either. One pretty much can do anything:lol:

<not sure about korea... i think they're very americanized.>
Yes, if you refer to US soldiers roaming around in Seoul.

Here is an interesting finding in SK:
Generally: Chinese chopsticks are round and Japanese chopsticks are round and pointed at the bottom.

Guess, the shape of the Korean chopsticks? Flat and pointed at the bottom. I asked my Korean LG guide how the f&ck you use the chopsticks?

<not sure about korea... i think they're very americanized.>
Yes, if you refer to US soldiers roaming around in Seoul.

Here is an interesting finding in SK:
Generally: Chinese chopsticks are round and Japanese chopsticks are round and pointed at the bottom.

Guess, the shape of the Korean chopsticks? Flat and pointed at the bottom. I asked my Korean LG guide how the f&ck you use the chopsticks?

Japanese imported everything Chinese in Tang dynasty, and stayed in the same way. You are right about their chopsticks, round and sharp tipped. Maybe they are better for picking out fish bones as they are preferred in Chinese coastal areas. The Koreans liked to have chopsticks in metal, which are often made in flat tip.

There are stories about how Chinese rulers gave the names to Japan and Korea. Nippon, the Chinese meaning is where the sun rises, given by Chinese Tang Empress Wuzhetian. Joseon, the Chinese meaning is where morning is fresh, given by Chinese Ming Emperor, Zhu Yuanzhang. These two are both located to the east of China. :D

I wait for the day when Japan frees itself from the US and join hands with China to make Asia the powerhouse of the world.

I think that China and Japan should be staunch allies, both are great nations with a lot of discipline and excellent ethics. There history and cultures are truly unique, cooperation is required.

istockphoto_6607091-china-and-japan-relations.jpg

That's a nice sentiment to have co-operation with different nations, but why would Japan dump USA for China.

Its not a Zero sum game, Japan can have equally good relations with both the countries. :cheers:

<. The Koreans liked to have chopsticks in metal, which are often made in flat tip.>
Yes, it's stainless steel.

<These two are both located to the east of China.>
The capital of Japan is Tokyo -> translation East Capital. I suppose in pin yin is Dongjing.

<These two are both located to the east of China.>
The capital of Japan is Tokyo -> translation East Capital. I suppose in pin yin is Dongjing.

You are right. Tokyo is on the east coast of Japan. Btw are you a language student?

Back
Top Bottom