What's new

New Islamabad Airport Progress

The whole Pakistani "culture" look is getting out of hand..now they placed this ugly village door in the airport too...i hope its not permanent.

20155834_1018788084929454_49078167279311909_n.jpg

20155686_1018788044929458_3956324165339629567_n.jpg

This is going to be seen as a local bazaar rather than an international airport to all the foreigners who come here.

A more appropriate place for the truck art would be on the walls while leaving the airport, it would've had sort of a welcome to Pakistan feeling with it and would be a beautiful sight for foreigners especially.

Having stuff like this inside the airport will give people more to be criticise, and that's the last thing we want.

I agree with you completely, truck art looks good on trucks and not in a supposedly modern airport. Architects go by the philosophy of 'form follows function'. If there is no function of any decoration it is useless and will look gaudy.

Also 'less is more' less clutter means more space and open areas, unhindered open views.

Capital residents suggest naming airport after Edhi, Quaid

With less than a month remaining till some of the biggest passenger planes in the world land at the New Islamabad International Airport (NIIA), a new race has begun: what should the airport be called?

Last week, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif set up a special committee with a single task – propose a new name for the airport. The debate has taken a new turn on the streets of the capital and online over what should the new name of the facility be, especially after an NA panel finalised a name.

Streets say ‘Edhi’

In the capital, which will be the primary beneficiary of the new airport, everyone seems excited about the new facility.

But everyone has a different answer to the simple question about the new name for the airport.

A large number of ordinary people whom The Express Tribune spoke to, wanted the new airport to be named after renowned social worker Abdul Sattar Edhi.

“It would be a befitting tribute to name the airport after Edhi who served the poor regardless of their cast, colour or creed,” said Ahmed, an Islamabad resident.

But others also suggested that it should be named Quaid-i-Azam, or after the country’s first prime minister Liaquat Ali Khan.

Some even offered untraditional choices such as Pakistan’s first Nobel Laureate Dr Abdus Salam. Others still wanted it to be named after the man who helped give the country a nuclear bomb, Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan.

Some people also thought that the airport should be simply named ‘Islamabad International Airport’. One suggested naming it Gandhara or Potohar. The former the civilisation which existed in the area and ruins are located in nearby Taxila while the other is the name of the region where some parts of the airport fall in. Some even suggested Baba Guru Nanak or Ranjeet Singh – an ode to the birthplace of Sikhism and one of the most well-known rulers of the region.

One person also jokingly suggested naming the airport after former Army Chief Raheel Shareef while another suggested that the airport should be named after the man who initiated the project in the first place, former dictator General (retired) Pervez Musharraf.

Another resident said that whatever the name, it should be something which all Pakistanis can relate to, hence it should not be named after politicians from a single political party, as he alluded to how the current airport and a road in Rawalpindi were named after former prime minister Benazir Bhutto under the reign of Pakistan Peoples Party.

NA panel suggestions

Meanwhile, the topic of naming the airport was hotly debated in a meeting of the National Assembly Standing Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges at the Parliament House on Thursday.

The committee, chaired by MNA Junaid Anwar Chaudhry, passed a resolution unanimously recommending that the name of the new Islamabad Airport should be “Quaid-i-Azam International Airport”.

Online debate

The decision over a new name has also generated heated debates on social media over the new name.

“New Islamabad Airport deserves a historical name …Gandhara International, 3,000 years old …” wrote Mahr Wains as he posted pictures of the Taxila ruins.

“There is already an airport which is associated with Quaid [-e-Azam], they should change the name of Karachi’s airport now,” said Nadir Daman over naming the Islamabad airport after the founder of the nation.

“Doesn’t make sense to have two airports on Quaid’s name, either the capital or his city of birth,” he added.

“New Islamabad Airport to be named ‘Quaid-i-Azam International Airport’. Why can’t we name it Edhi International Airport,” asked Kamran Yousaf on microblogging site Twitter on Friday.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1463547/capital-residents-suggest-naming-airport-edhi-quaid/

20264862_1404785632923761_3144466294052139545_n.jpg

20228731_10212506167061499_1547396841529407276_n.jpg

20246383_1637543679612134_988993667869305136_n.jpg

Name for the airport........

There are plenty. It's just that our history books don't mention them as much to the public let alone these illiterate politicians.

Mohammad Ali Bogra (Massive economic and social reforming PM)
Fatima Jinnah (Democratic activist and sister of Jinnah)
Chaudry Rehmat Ali (His name was under consideration)
Liaqat Ali Khan (First Prime Minister)
Sir Syed Ahmed Khan
Sir Sultan Muhammad Agha Khan I (Muslim League founder)
Ayub Khan (Founder of Islamabad)

And those are just political figures. They could have named them by location (Marghalla or Gandhara or Kushan or Saptasindhu). They could have named them after deserving citizens (Edhi or Ansar Burney). They had a mess of options but they chose to act like the boring, status quo people they are.

@ghazi52 another member suggested we should name it after Chaudhry Rehmat Ali and i think he's right,he doesn't get enough recognition for what he did.This should definitely be named after him something like CRA international.What are your thoughts.:enjoy:

@ghazi52 another member suggested we should name it after Chaudhry Rehmat Ali and i think he's right,he doesn't get enough recognition for what he did.This should definitely be named after him something like CRA international.What are your thoughts.:enjoy:

Fair enough.:smitten::pakistan:

6 mins ·
The new Islamabad International Airport named as Quaid-e-Azam International Airport. The National Assembly Standing Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges has unanimously recommended while passing a resolution that the name of new Islamabad Airport should be Quaid-e-Azam International Airport.

Fair enough.:smitten::pakistan:

6 mins ·
The new Islamabad International Airport named as Quaid-e-Azam International Airport. The National Assembly Standing Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges has unanimously recommended while passing a resolution that the name of new Islamabad Airport should be Quaid-e-Azam International Airport.

With respect we already have Karachi Airport named for him.

I would have preferred Liaquat Ali Khan or Ayub Khan International

If we really couldnt make our minds up, just Islamabad International Airport could have worked too

With respect we already have Karachi Airport named for him.

I would have preferred Liaquat Ali Khan or Ayub Khan International

If we really couldnt make our minds up, just Islamabad International Airport could have worked too

It was already decided as Liaqat Ali khan not sure why this debate and review by tabar choor government

Will opening on Aug 14 be another Lowari tunnel inauguration by tabar choor or they will complete it on time ??

Capital residents suggest naming airport after Edhi, Quaid

With less than a month remaining till some of the biggest passenger planes in the world land at the New Islamabad International Airport (NIIA), a new race has begun: what should the airport be called?

Last week, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif set up a special committee with a single task – propose a new name for the airport. The debate has taken a new turn on the streets of the capital and online over what should the new name of the facility be, especially after an NA panel finalised a name.

Streets say ‘Edhi’

In the capital, which will be the primary beneficiary of the new airport, everyone seems excited about the new facility.

But everyone has a different answer to the simple question about the new name for the airport.

A large number of ordinary people whom The Express Tribune spoke to, wanted the new airport to be named after renowned social worker Abdul Sattar Edhi.

“It would be a befitting tribute to name the airport after Edhi who served the poor regardless of their cast, colour or creed,” said Ahmed, an Islamabad resident.

But others also suggested that it should be named Quaid-i-Azam, or after the country’s first prime minister Liaquat Ali Khan.

Some even offered untraditional choices such as Pakistan’s first Nobel Laureate Dr Abdus Salam. Others still wanted it to be named after the man who helped give the country a nuclear bomb, Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan.

Some people also thought that the airport should be simply named ‘Islamabad International Airport’. One suggested naming it Gandhara or Potohar. The former the civilisation which existed in the area and ruins are located in nearby Taxila while the other is the name of the region where some parts of the airport fall in. Some even suggested Baba Guru Nanak or Ranjeet Singh – an ode to the birthplace of Sikhism and one of the most well-known rulers of the region.

One person also jokingly suggested naming the airport after former Army Chief Raheel Shareef while another suggested that the airport should be named after the man who initiated the project in the first place, former dictator General (retired) Pervez Musharraf.

Another resident said that whatever the name, it should be something which all Pakistanis can relate to, hence it should not be named after politicians from a single political party, as he alluded to how the current airport and a road in Rawalpindi were named after former prime minister Benazir Bhutto under the reign of Pakistan Peoples Party.

NA panel suggestions

Meanwhile, the topic of naming the airport was hotly debated in a meeting of the National Assembly Standing Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges at the Parliament House on Thursday.

The committee, chaired by MNA Junaid Anwar Chaudhry, passed a resolution unanimously recommending that the name of the new Islamabad Airport should be “Quaid-i-Azam International Airport”.

Online debate

The decision over a new name has also generated heated debates on social media over the new name.

“New Islamabad Airport deserves a historical name …Gandhara International, 3,000 years old …” wrote Mahr Wains as he posted pictures of the Taxila ruins.

“There is already an airport which is associated with Quaid [-e-Azam], they should change the name of Karachi’s airport now,” said Nadir Daman over naming the Islamabad airport after the founder of the nation.

“Doesn’t make sense to have two airports on Quaid’s name, either the capital or his city of birth,” he added.

“New Islamabad Airport to be named ‘Quaid-i-Azam International Airport’. Why can’t we name it Edhi International Airport,” asked Kamran Yousaf on microblogging site Twitter on Friday.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1463547/capital-residents-suggest-naming-airport-edhi-quaid/

To me there are just two obvious options.

If you want to name it on some personality, name it EDHI, Edhi International Airport.

However i will prefer not to name it after a personality. Then depending on its location i would like it to be named GANDHARA, Gandhara International Airport.

@Kaptaan what do you think about this? :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom