What's new

New Iranian air launched cruise missile

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Here is a new air launched cruise missile paraded recently. The range of this cruise missile is greater than 100km and is guided by electro-optics. It is designed to be launched from air craft only.

military_ir-img_1__283529-jpg.25182

military_ir_img_1_283429_jpg_25309.jpg

It looks more like a high speed projectile than a cruise missile.

I am not sure about it's speed. But judging by it's short range, I wont be surprised if it is a high speed cruise missile. I am curious to what engine it uses. I am not sure of Iran's tolou-4 could be used.

I am not sure about it's speed. But judging by it's short range, I wont be surprised if it is a high speed cruise missile. I am curious to what engine it uses. I am not sure of Iran's tolou-4 could be used.

Air launched cruise missiles rely on wing surfaces to stay in 'cruise speed envelope'. This one is a modular design (mockup at this stage) with an air breathing duct and multiple control surfaces with no room for a turbojet (apparently) points to my assumption that it might be a high speed air launched missile with a solid fuel rocket motor.

We can take the examples of Pakistan's Ra'ad ALCM

Pakistan+Successfully+Tests+Hatf-VIII+Ra%25E2%2580%2599ad+Air-Launched+Cruise+Missile+%25286%2529.jpg

South African Torgos

464334783efa6_large.jpg

British Storm Shadow

Storm_Shadow_p1220865.jpg

Turkish SOM

attachment.php

Air launched cruise missiles rely on wing surfaces to stay in 'cruise speed envelope'. This one is a modular design (mockup at this stage) with an air breathing duct and multiple control surfaces with no room for a turbojet (apparently) points to my assumption that it might be a high speed air launched missile with a solid fuel rocket motor.

Those are specific examples. Does the c-802 have such wings, what about the harpoon?

061111_Misil%20c-802.JPG

Also, they said it's a cruise missile. Why would a rocket powered AGM need air duct?
Iran does make small jet engines. Ranging from those used in Zafar cruise missile all the way to noor.

I think other Iranian member could elaborate on this better than me :D

Try it on Israel :D[/quote
Try it on Israel :D

Mate, I hope these weapons are not never used on anyone. They cause nothing but destruction. But they are still sexy :D

Last edited:
Those are specific examples. Does the c-802 have such wings, what about the harpoon?

061111_Misil%20c-802.JPG

Also, they said it's a cruise missile. Why would a rocket powered AGM need air duct?
Iran does make small jet engines. Ranging from those used in Zafar cruise missile all the way to noor.

C-802 is a surface launched cruise missile which flies as per completely different laws of flight. The air launched cruise missiles tend to have wings in order to attain a sustained cruise profile during flight. An AGM can have an air duct, maybe to breath in air to accelerate the rocket boosting output.

@Aeronaut

Here is the smallest cruise missile made by Iran. It's called Zafar and is used by speed boat.
If it can make a engine for this, I don't see why it can't make it for the cruise missile above.

13901115175539414_PhotoL.jpg

Irani+Anti+Ship+Zafar+Cruise+Missile._1.jpg

C-802 is a surface launched cruise missile which flies as per completely different laws of flight. The air launched cruise missiles tend to have wings in order to attain a sustained cruise profile during flight. An AGM can have an air duct, maybe to breath in air to accelerate the rocket boosting output.

But the air launched version of this missile looks exactly the same. Iran makes air launched versions for their qaher (imrpoved c-802):

Iran+Arms+its+F-4+Phantom+Fighter+Jets+With+200-km+Range+Ghader+Anti-Ship+Cruise+Missile+iranian+air+force+fighter+jet+destroyed+targted+ground+attack+launched+fired++%25284%2529.jpg

@Aeronaut

Here is the smallest cruise missile made by Iran. It's called Zafar and is used by speed boat.
If it can make a engine for this, I don't see why it can't make it for the cruise missile above.

13901115175539414_PhotoL.jpg

Irani+Anti+Ship+Zafar+Cruise+Missile._1.jpg

But the air launched version of this missile looks exactly the same. Iran makes air launched versions for their qaher (imrpoved c-802):

Iran+Arms+its+F-4+Phantom+Fighter+Jets+With+200-km+Range+Ghader+Anti-Ship+Cruise+Missile+iranian+air+force+fighter+jet+destroyed+targted+ground+attack+launched+fired++%25284%2529.jpg

I didn't suggest that Iran cannot make a turbojet engine. Please note that these missiles are for 'surface attack' and fly on a different set of flight laws than air launched cruise missiles. It will be interesting to see how this project develops.

I think that is just what @Aeronaut is trying to point out.

Both C-802 and US "Harpoon" are " Anti-Ship Missiles " and NOT " CRUISE MISSILE ".

C-802 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpoon_(missile)

Technically they are classified as cruise missiles as they can enter and sustain a cruise flight envelope. ASMs are inherently different from ALCMs.

@Aeronaut Thanks for your comments. It was appreciated. Lets see where this project ends up. I hope to see it developed. Iranian air force has made many decent looking air launched missile but no decent fighter jet program.

Thanks again. +1

I didn't suggest that Iran cannot make a turbojet engine. Please note that these missiles are for 'surface attack' and fly on a different set of flight laws than air launched cruise missiles. It will be interesting to see how this project develops.

Technically they are classified as cruise missiles as they can enter and sustain a cruise flight envelope. ASMs are inherently different from ALCMs.

Yes , I just saw that on wikipedia. I stand corrected....Thanks...

I guess the C-802A is the air launched version used by JF-17.........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom