What's new

New HK textbook describes Filipinos as ‘domestic helper’

Inappropriate for a textbook to say. But if the students didn't learn from textbooks, they would have learnt from observations in real life. 5 centuries of colonization by the Spanish, British, American, Japanese has rendered these people very docile and servile, always dependent on the charity of a 'master'.

It would have been more accurate for the kids understanding to say "I'm a bully" the answer is Chinese

It would be highly inappropriate for the HK Education Bureau to politicize textbooks, especially by incorporating Pinoy propaganda.

Why is it inappropriate? If you look down a domestic helper, then it is derogatory when you call someone domestic helper. But if it's just a profession and you describe it objectively, there is nothing wrong with being domestic helper. Domestic helper is not much different from nurse, both taking care of people.

Would you rather have the publisher use these instead?

"I like to shoot Taiwanese fisherman and botch up hostage situation without apologizing." Phillippines

" I like to grope females on the train and behead innocent people." Japan

"I defacate in the open but make the best curry dish." India

Although that text book is retarded (do you really need to teach that hometown in shanghai -> Chinese?) what it said about Filipinos in Hong Kong is not completely inaccurate ( "There are around 140,000[2] Filipinos in Hong Kong, a majority of whom work as foreign domestic helpers" -wikipedia).

On the other hand, teaching students to make this casual connection just reinforces negative racial prejudice. This happens in the other places as well, for example, in US, we are taught that all terrorists are Muslims - hence Muslims have it harder in airports and get bullied in school.

"I like to shoot Taiwanese fisherman and botch up hostage situation without apologizing." Phillippines

:omghaha:

I think we can add more.

Although that text book is retarded (do you really need to teach that hometown in shanghai -> Chinese?) what it said about Filipinos in Hong Kong is not completely inaccurate ( "There are around 140,000[2] Filipinos in Hong Kong, a majority of whom work as foreign domestic helpers" -wikipedia).

On the other hand, teaching students to make this casual connection just reinforces negative racial prejudice. This happens in the other places as well, for example, in US, we are taught that all terrorists are Muslims - hence Muslims have it harder in airports and get bullied in school.

Are you sure about this....?

I'm not even going to say anything. This thread is being utilized by known trolls in here to make smart-alecky comments on several nations.

Sigh.

Or maybe teaching a grade 4 to racially segregate or associate a race with something lets say like America used to stereotype Russians as spies/ terrorists and rough people...how? by show casing it in every of their films till the Arabs and Pakistanis took that place...

Brainwashing a child or narrowing down a profession by associating with something is called racial discrimination!
Exactly!

The problem is the book admittedly wants to create a stereotype in each race, that is brainwashing their children in disguise.

Exactly!

The problem is the book admittedly wants to create a stereotype in each race, that is brainwashing their children in disguise.

Was the textbook also racist to say Whites are English teachers, and Japanese are sushi chefs? The textbook is simply suggesting likely occupations for different nationalities.

Was the textbook also racist to say Whites are English teachers, and Japanese are sushi chefs? The textbook is simply suggesting likely occupations for different nationalities.

Sushi chefs? talk about generalization / stereotypes...!

For the statement “I am a refugee in Hong Kong and could barely afford food”, the answer is Bangladeshi. :disagree:

For “I work unlimited hours in debt bondage”, the answer is Indonesian.

For “My school is segregated from the rest of the community”, the answer is Pakistani.

Back
Top Bottom