What's new

New faces named in Pakistan Cricket squad

Nafees

Reaction score
Jamshed has already shown Zimbabwe's bowlers what he can do
Pakistan have called up three uncapped players for the start of their home one-day series against Zimbabwe.
Opener Nasir Jamshed, paceman Samiullah Niazi and all-rounder Kamran Hussain are in a 15-man squad for the first two games of the five-match series.

"The idea is to use the series to test out new players without sacrificing the core strength of the team," explained chief selector Salahuddin Ahmed.

The opening game of the series takes place in Karachi on Monday.

And Pakistan remain confident Shoaib Malik will be fit to lead the team despite an ankle injury suffered on tour in India last November.

They will, however, be below full strength as far as their pace attack is concerned, with Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul and Mohammad Asif all absent.

Malik has urged Pakistan supporters to give the team's Australian coach Geoff Lawson time to achieve consistently good results and said comparisons with predecessor Bob Woolmer, who died during the World Cup in the Caribbean last year, were unfair.

"Woolmer came to us having worked more than five years with the South African team. "Lawson in contrast is in his first year in charge of an international team and he is learning," he commented.

The three newcomers in the squad all played in the Pakistan Cricket Board Patron's XI which won a four-day game against Zimbabwe by an innings and 34 runs.

Captains Prosper Utseya and Shoaib Malik meet up in Karachi

Jamshed, 18, hit seven sixes and 16 fours in an innings of 182 and has been given a chance to show that he could be the player to solve Pakistan's persistent problems at the top of the order.

Samiullah took 5-42 in Zimbabwe's second innings and he is in line to share the new ball with Rao Iftikhar Anjum.

"We have rewarded them for their good performance at domestic level because these youngsters are our future," selector Salahuddin added.

"We will also include more players in the coming matches."

Pakistan squad: Shoaib Malik (captain), Younis Khan, Salman Butt, Mohammad Yousuf, Misbah-ul-Haq, Shahid Afridi, Yasir Arafat, Sohail Tanvir, Sarfraz Ahmed, Nasir Jamshed, Fawad Alam, Rao Iftikhar, Samiullah Niazi, Kamran Hussain, Kamran Akmal.

Source: BBC News

What what about Asif ? and Shoiab Akhtar I mean they are good if you ignore some controversies.

New faces should be introduce as reserves for our current playing players, this is good for the team.

Regards
Wilco

Beats Me!

Not including Shoaib and Asif ! Pakistan is surely testing its new talent.

They Should be.

Regards
Wilco

Asif was injured and had a keyhole surgery. He is currently recovering, and so is Gul. The selectors are not happy with Shoaib's performance in India and thus have not even given him a contract. Even though he is the only person who did not get run over by indian batsmen.

Our smart selectors are known for doing such things so its not really a surprise. and our coach and our captain are hell bent on playing Kamran Akmal as an opener in ODIs.

Lawson should go back to australia and take malik with him.:hitwall::hitwall:

I think it is good we try some new faces, especially against a team like Zimbabwe. I mean they aren't as strong so it is good time to try some new faces.

I think it is good we try some new faces, especially against a team like Zimbabwe. I mean they aren't as strong so it is good time to try some new faces.

Iagree with you. Lets face it our fast Bowlers are --- like all fast bowlers injury prone. Similarly, we have a continuous on going demand for a reliable opening pair. We also need a decent one down Batsman to allow Younis to come 2 down and yousuf 3 down. I think if you are looking to groom talent this is the time to expose them to international cricket rather than against Australia/ South Africa, where they can destroy ones confidence. So all in all a good opportunity to introduce new players. Shoaib, asif and Gul will always remain available and sometimes a little Shock:lol: will do wonders for someone like Shoaib
Regards
Araz

Our bowling is crap to be honest. Other then Tanvir, i don't see anyone being even close to international standard.

Why are our selectors so scared to try young bowlers??

Back
Top Bottom