What's new

New Delhi police fire water cannon at India rape protest

There is news saying most vicious rapist on the gang, who is 17 years old, will get just 3 years prison in juvenile correction center, is that true? Is this real?

Yaa and his name is Mohammed Afroz.

I heard about this on the news.

Its really sickening on how Indians can brutally rape a girl like this.

BAHAWALPUR:

A nine-year-old girl was taken to hospital after she was raped by three men on Wednesday. Doctors treating her said that she was in a critical condition. The medico-legal report confirmed rape.

Airport police have registered a case against seven people for kidnap and rape, five of them have been named by the child’s mother.

The girl had had gone missing from in front of her house on Wednesday morning, and was later abandoned back there in a nearly unconscious state.

Station House Officer Irshad Joyia said that a team had been constituted to arrest the suspects. He said police had been informed that they had fled to Alipur village.

Irshad Joyia

According to the FIR, the girl, a student of class two, was abducted from in front of her house in Manzoorabad in Rahim Yar Khan by three women and a man. She was taken to a dera, where she was raped by three men, one of them identified in the FIR. She was also beaten up before she was abandoned in front of her home.

Her mother told police that she had found the girl near their house. She was bleeding and close to fainting. She said when she was taking her to the police station, when one of the kidnappers stopped her and threatened to kill her if she informed the police.

She said she went back home, but later informed the police.

She said she was told to take the child to Sheikh Zayed Hospital for examination and treatment.

Doctors treating the girl said that her condition was critical due to loss of blood and internal injuries. No one has been arrested yet.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 4th, 2013.

Eat that you little one line troller and don't worry like ajtr or Socom or you i would neither give it religious nor Nationalistic connotation

India's Gang Rape Problem​

Posted: 01/04/2013 10:34 am

February 9, 2012 (Chennai) Boyfriend, 4 others rape 19-yr-old after spiking her drink;

February 18, 2012, (Kolkata) Kolkata gang rape case: 2 arrested;

May 12, 2012 Another gang rape in Hyderabad; June 20, 2012 (Mumbai) Threatening to kill her son, they gang raped her;

October 21, 2012, Bangalore: 7 held in Bangalore rape case; December 16, 2012 (New Delhi) gang rape of a 23-year-old student on a city bus;

December 17, 2012 (Kerala) Kerala Girl raped by brother, friend; December 21, 19-year-old allegedly gang raped by five persons;

December 22, 2012, Woman stripped naked, gang raped in Tripura;

December 27, 2012 (Punjab) India Teen Commits Suicide After Police Pressure Her To Drop Gang Rape Case, Marry Attacker.

A quick Google search uncovers the current and common occurrence of gang rape in India. Since the gang rape and alleged murder of a 23 year-old physiotherapist by six men on a bus, India has come out in protest. The news has been reported around the globe. What makes this gang rape different from all the others? Is it time to universally demand an end to the violent treatment of women in India and elsewhere? Are we entering an Indian Spring where drawn out abuses of women are protested around the globe until the majority rise against unacceptable violence and suppression of women?

According to the AFP, In India "official figures show that 228,650 of the total 256,329 violent crimes recorded last year were against women." India isn't the only country with shocking statistics on violence against women, but it does offer an interesting venue to analyze. Let's start with democracy.

India is the largest democracy in the world. Yet how can that be when its laws and government do not represent an entire gender? In an institutionalized rape culture there is no democracy for women. History student and deputy political editor of the University of York student newspaper, Hussein Kesvani explains:

One only has to look at the unreformed 1860 penal code that views rape as an 'outraging' of a woman's modesty, an association that immediately affiliates the female body merely as a constituent within a masculine-dominated cultural system. Additionally, the law professor Upendra Baxi noted in 2002, that the legal and political systems of India limited the abilities of females to report sexual violence, and in turn reflected a political system in which collective sexual assaults on women could go unpunished. Baxi also highlighted that police authorities often neglected, if not participated in, the phenomenon of 'eve-teasing' -- a crude form of sexual molestation that has more than quadrupled over the past decade. Indeed, despite the rapid economic prosperity India has enjoyed since its independence, little has been achieved to in terms of effective protections for females.

India is a deeply religious country. Religion has been an incredibly important part of its culture. It's hailed as a place of religious diversity and tolerance. So how can a religious and tolerant people systematically degrade and abuse its female population? If religion is a reflection of, or the defining of, a people's belief system, cultural system and world view then India's piousness to a large degree reflects less a devotion to God and more of a sinister suppression through female infanticide, child brides and rape.

India is a dynamic, innovative, soon-to-be economic powerhouse. From 1991 to 2000 India's software industry increased from $150 million to $5.7 billion. Estimated numbers predict continued middle class growth, which would lead to one of the largest consumer markets in the world. Yet education for girls is abysmal. Due to ingrained sexism, many parents don't send their daughters to school, ever, or stop their education after they reach puberty. They give the majority of resources to the favored sons, creating malnourished daughters who are burdened with housework and taking care of smaller siblings, while the sons are educated.

So how can the country with the oldest religion in the world, the largest democracy in the world and one of the fastest growing economies in the world eradicate a cultural disease and fast? To answer simply would not recognize the gravity of India's problem. To change a culture is extremely difficult. The protests by Indian men and women were successful in reaching world attention, which was aided by the government and law enforcement's poor handling of the case and the protests. Now their voices can't be quieted. Every Indian and every person around the world must speak strongly and not tolerate violence against women. Because the end to a Sunday night movie with a friend shouldn't be having an iron rod inserted into your body, lung and brain damage, removal of the small intestine and a heart attack, all for being female.

Leslie Hendry: India's Gang Rape Problem

India’s Rape Epidemic Reflects a Deeper, Darker Problem​

India is defined by misogyny. Hatred of women is woven so tightly into the fabric of Indian society, according to writer Pubali R. Chaudhuri, that any Indian who denies it is lying.

The most recent example is the horrific gang rape and murder of a student on a bus in New Delhi. But it is no anomaly. “National crime records show that 228,650 of the total 256,329 violent crimes recorded last year were against women.” That’s 89% of all the violent crimes in India, and women tend to be blamed and even punished when they are raped — witness the young victim who was told by police to marry the man who raped her.

Sexism begins at conception with parents’ preference for male children, especially if their first child was a girl. Indians abort 300,000-600,000 female fetuses annually, creating a shortfall of 7.1 million females nationwide. Chaudhuri reports that Indians “utter prayers, make vows, observe fasts, bow before this or that divinity,” all with the goal of begetting boys, not girls.

Girls suffer for the sake of their brothers. Boys tend to get more food, a better education, and more of the family estate, Chaudhuri writes. Eventually a girl becomes, practically speaking, the property of her husband and in-laws.

A few years back, by happenstance and Oprah’s book club, I read a string of books by and about Indian women. I found the female characters’ day-to-day lives so disturbing that I had to cut novels about Indian women off my reading list for a long while. Just reading about the rampant misogyny was oppressive.

Not that the United States is proof against systemic sexism and violence against women. I spent many years as a litigator battling company-wide discrimination against women at large employers. In law school I volunteered as an advocate for rape victims. The United States is not innocent, and I do not claim to know all the answers for either my country or for India. But I feel entirely justified identifying and calling out the problems in other nations as well as my own. Worldwide violence against women is so overwhelmingly common that it is everyone’s responsibility to call it out and work against it.

As Sabina Dewan writes, last month’s gang rape “is a tangible chance” for “governments around the world…multinational corporations, and international development and human rights organizations” to “advocate for stronger policies to protect women from violence, harassment, and discrimination.” She argues that countries that improve their treatment of women will enjoy burgeoning economies and higher labor productivity.

Sonia Faleiro identifies one concrete prerequisite to ending India’s sexual inequality: a vast improvement in the criminal prosecution of rapists. “Of the more than 600 rape cases reported in Delhi in 2012, only one led to a conviction,” she reports. The “police must document reports of rape and sexual assault, and investigations and court cases have to be fast-tracked and not left to linger for years…If victims believe they will receive justice, they will be more willing to speak up. If potential rapists fear the consequences of their actions, they will not pluck women off the streets with impunity.”

A broader prerequisite to the improvement Dewan calls for is abolishing India’s obsession with female sexual purity. “A culture in which women are expected to remain virgins until marriage is a rape culture. In that vision, women’s bodies are for use primarily for procreation or male pleasure. They must be kept pure,” writes E.J. Graff at The American Prospect. India “is a culture that believes that the worst aspect of rape is the defilement of the victim, who will no longer be able to find a man to marry her — and that the solution is to marry the rapist.” Guarding a woman’s purity is her own responsibility; she must pay the price for any failure.

More complicated but at least as necessary is a shift from viewing women as men’s property to understanding them as independent beings with as much potential as males. As Graff writes, the kind of “endemic street harassment” found in India “is not about sex; it’s about threatening women for daring to leave the private sphere. It’s a form of control over women’s ambitions and lives. And when such a culture is widespread, it gives men permission to use women as the target for any excess anger they might have.” Faleiro described in The New York Times the terror women face when commuting between their homes and their universities or jobs. She adds that women are not allowed to feel safe in private spaces either.

India has a long history of treating women as property, perhaps longer than Americans can fully appreciate. One old manifestation, called sati, is the tradition of wives being burned alive on their husbands’ funeral pyres, which some Hindus still observe. Another phenomenon is dowry killings: if grooms’ families demand more money than the bride’s dowry and her family fails to satisfy the demand, the in-laws douse the new bride with paraffin and burn her to death. One woman died this way every 90 minutes in India in 2010.

At every stage of life, Indian women have belonged to men — fathers, husbands, brothers. People do not part easily with property, and men will not acquiesce to their loss of superior status any time soon. But last month’s rape seems to have catalyzed a new fierceness in Indian women’s drive for equality. International support can help them keep it going for the long haul.

Read more: India's Rape Epidemic Reflects a Deeper, Darker Problem | Care2 Causes

Justice for India’s Rape Victims

Published: January 8, 2013

Influenced by extraordinary street protests, Indian authorities have moved swiftly to try the men accused of gang-raping a 23-year-old physiotherapy student in New Delhi. Clearly, justice must be served, but there are disturbing aspects to the way the case is being handled.

The victim died last month, two weeks after the brutal attack in which she was beaten, assaulted with an iron rod on a moving bus and then thrown bleeding onto the street. She had taken the bus after seeing a movie with a male friend, who was also beaten. Thousands of Indians have demonstrated and called for justice.

The case has brought to light India’s growing problem with violence against women. It has underscored serious weaknesses in the judicial system, which encourages women not to bring charges against rapists and rarely brings to justice those who are accused. Incompetent police are also part of the problem. The victim’s male companion said later that police were slow to respond and then wasted more time wrangling over who had jurisdiction over the crime.

Stunned by the popular response, authorities set up a fast-track process to hear the case. But while efforts to try the case expeditiously are to be commended, some legal experts are understandably concerned that a rush to judgment could mean that any verdicts will be overturned on appeal. The government should not be so eager to appease popular rage that it takes imprudent shortcuts.

Also disturbing is the fact that most lawyers have refused to represent the defendants. Their outrage at the reprehensible attack is understandable, but for the sake of all Indians, and for the country’s judicial system, there needs to be a fair trial, which requires that the accused have counsel so they can prepare a defense. Two lawyers have agreed to represent three of the five accused men. A sixth defendant, a teenager, is to be tried separately in juvenile court.

The judge overseeing the trial has contributed to the sense of unease about the fairness of the proceedings. On Monday, he closed the trial to reporters and invoked a law that makes it “unlawful for any person to print or publish any matter in relation to any such proceedings, except with the previous permission of the court.”

Transparency is needed to give Indians confidence that the judiciary is serving the common good and delivering credible justice. India allowed journalists to cover the trial of those accused of the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks and should do so in this case as well.

The New Delhi attack has focused much-needed attention on India’s sexual assault laws, which are now being reviewed by a special panel of judges. Its report, expected in January, and New Delhi’s reaction to it (some proposed new laws have already been introduced in Parliament) will reveal a lot about whether the government is serious about doing more to protect women. This case is too important to allow it to be tarnished by cutting legal corners.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/opinion/justice-for-indias-rape-victims.html?_r=0

@<u><a href="http://www.defence.pk/forums/member.php?u=142697" target="_blank">dollarman</a></u>: Need i say more :sniper:

Yes you do.

Unlike all your models and actresses that are begging for Indian visa, go see if any Indian girl wants to go live in Burkhastan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont even get me started. Sania Mirza :sniper: It is just sad that you guys gangrape your women in public buses. Is this the reason why they choose to marry pakistanis over Indians? Whats your opinion of Dehli as being the rape capital of Rapistan anyway :sniper:

If you are going to pull out Sania Mirza, what about the friggin daughter of Jinnah that married an Indian Parsi? Doesnt get any more humiliating when the daughter of the founder of your nation does not believe in the foundation of your nation.

Their heroine: Delhi gangrape victim inspires village

Uttar Pradesh, Jan. 11 -- "Hera gailu ho hamar chaand-chakori, ka kari hum, ab kaise jihin hum? (Our beloved, you're gone forever. How do we live now?)" - a radio playing this Bhojpuri folk song at the December 16 gangrape victim's village in Uttar Pradesh summed up the solemn mood of most villagers.
But while the elderly are in a somber mood, most girls are already in a fight-back mode. "I will study physiotherapy in the same Dehradun college as didi (the victim) and work in Delhi. I fear for my life after what happened to her but there's enough courage in me. Her death has made me more determined," said an 18-year-old cousin of the victim.
"Though didi didn't come to the village frequently, we stayed in touch over the phone. The last time I spoke to her, she said I must study hard and become independent. She said once she landed a job, she will bring me over to Delhi and I will study under her guidance," she said.
Her parents said they will help her fulfill her dreams. "We lost one daughter. These are times of extreme grief but relegating the girls to stay at home instead of chasing their dreams the way their didi did would be unfair," they told HT.
"Banta hua makaan gir gaya, dobara banne mein samay lagta hai (dreams have shattered, rebuilding it will take time). But I will give it my best shot," said the 18-year-old, who is pursuing graduation from a Ballia college. "Ever since the news of her death came, I did not sit at home even for a day. I have been going to college," she said.
Her classmates echo similar sentiments. "Didi has been an inspiration all along. She has now become a role model for all of us. We will follow in her footsteps to pursue a better life while defying the odds," said one of them.
Another class 10 student said, "The media shouldn't have given her so many names just to sell their stories. Despite being faceless, her death led to massive outrage across the country."
A neighbour, a class 9 student in the village school, said, "I don't understand why everybody is calling her a braveheart. Which girl is not? She fought the rapists and wanted to live. What else was she supposed to do? The government latched on to the braveheart theory just to hide its incompetence in providing security to the women of the Capital."

Their heroine: Delhi gangrape victim inspires village - Yahoo! News India

Bharat, the ancient Hindi word for this
land, is traditional India. Part myth,
part place, it exists in the spirit of the
fields and villages of rural India.
It is, Mahatma Gandhi once said,
where the soul of the nation resides.
India is the modern, Western-
influenced, nation state. It lives in the
bright lights of the developing cities,
underwritten in the "emerging
superpower" appellation the country
aspires to.
Advertisement
The conflict between these two places
— which have co-existed uneasily for
decades — has been thrown into stark
relief by the recent Delhi gang-rape
case, and the introspection forced
upon India in the outrage that has
followed it.
"Crimes against women happening in
urban India are shameful. It is a
dangerous trend. But such crimes
won't happen in Bharat or the rural
areas of the country. You go to villages
and forests of the country and there
will be no such incidents of gang rape
or sex crimes. Where Bharat becomes
India with the influence of Western
culture, these type of incidents
happen." So said Mohan Bhagwat,
head of the Hindu nationalist
organisation Rashtriya Swayamsevak
Sangh.
This is, for a start, entirely untrue.
Rapes and sexual assaults do occur in
rural India. They are, in fact, the
majority of them.
Court data show 75 per cent of India's
rape convictions were for a crime
committed in a rural area, a figure that
broadly reflects India's urban-rural
divide. (The statistics were collated by
Mrinal Satish, associate professor of
law at Delhi's National Law University;
India's National Crime Records
Bureau does not break down offences
by place size).
This state, Madhya Pradesh, is
overwhelmingly rural, nearly three-
quarters of its population lives outside
a city. But every year for two decades
it has led the country for the highest
number of rapes. In 2011 (the most
recent complete figures available)
there were 3,406 reported cases of
rape in Madhya Pradesh: nine women
raped every day.
But Bhagwat's comments broadcast a
belief widely held in India, particularly
outside of its cities: that this country's
problem with sexual violence is not
endemic, but imported.
India's galloping urbanisation and the
drift away from village life, the
consolidation of farms and the
breakdown of the caste system, the
rise of mobile phones and women's
education: all are held up as factors
contributing to India's chronic sexual
violence.
Bharat versus India, and at the
juncture, sits India's next generation.
Preeti Jat is from Bharat, traditional
India, but she is also of the new India.
Confident, clever and ambitious, Preeti
is 18, and set to ace her 12th class
exams. She intends to begin college
this year, studying engineering like her
older brother.
From Bairagarh, she is aware of the
Delhi gang-rape case.
"It is the same. These things happen
here," she says in flawless English.
"Women are safe in their house, in
their village, where everybody knows
them. But they cannot leave to go
somewhere, to go take a job, or for
studies. Then there are problems."
In the aftermath of the Delhi gang
rape, the capital's English-language
media has insisted that all of India is
in turmoil, reflecting on its very soul.
But here, the case has barely raised a
mention, and it has changed life not at
all.
Among the women in this village,
Preeti says, most are only vaguely
aware of the case at all. "They might
know that something happened, but
they don't know the details. Their lives
are in the village, not there." Women
here don't read newspapers, she says,
and they prefer serials to the TV news.
In this deeply patriarchal society, such
things are for men to worry about.
Preeti's grandfathers, Hajarilal Jat and
Madiram Jat, are immensely proud of
their granddaughter, especially her
perfect English, which they don't
speak.
But the men insist, in contradiction to
Preeti, that assaults on women are an
urban phenomenon.
"In the villages, because the
communities are small, everyone
knows everyone, if there is a woman
in the street, people know who she is,
whose wife she is, whose sister she
is," Hajarilal says in Hindi. "That is not
the same in the cities. Men in the
cities feel they can attack because no
one knows who she is. She doesn't
belong to anyone." He says village
women are not attacked because men
"fear the elders", and the punishments
they might mete out: offenders and
their families can be ostracised, their
betrothals cut off, even cast out.
Hajarilal and Madiram worry about
women who leave Bairagarh for
India's cities and megapolises.
"If someone is moving to a city, we
ensure they live with a relative, or
someone else from the village, a
guardian who can look after them,
because they are not safe there. In the
village, family is strong, community is
strong."
Bucolic though they may be painted,
even a visit to an Indian village is
indicative of the lives lived within.
They certainly feel peaceful. In the
sunshine women are on the streets,
walking alone or in groups, in far
greater numbers than they are seen
outdoors in Delhi. In green fields, they
work alongside men.
But in Bairagarh and other farming
hamlets in the district, we are met by
men, every time, and told, rather than
allowed to find out, that women are
safe in rural India.
"The women here are contented," we
are told, without being allowed to
speak to one.
The women we do ask to speak to,
through an intermediary, politely
decline. They, we are informed, feel
more comfortable having men speak
for them, particularly to a foreign man.
The message we are told, over and
over again, is that village life is safe.
Other men, later and off the record,
concede that sexual assaults do occur
in villages, but that they are rare and
are kept quiet. Legal experts believe
reporting rates of sex assaults are
much lower in rural areas, often
because of pressure from parents not
to bring shame on the family. Caste
inequalities allow men to attack lower-
caste women with impunity.
Many times, the solution presented is
for rape victims to marry their
attackers, thereby somehow expunging
the crime. "If it happens, it is kept
very quiet," one man says. "The family
does not want people to know this
thing happened. If someone outside
the family finds out, soon everyone
will know, and that girl will be shamed,
so it is kept very quiet."

Four raped in India in broad daylight

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj-480x238.png

A woman on board a Delhi-bound train was gang-raped, killed and her body hanged from a tree in a mango orchard in Bhagalpur district police’s jurisdiction.

Police said that the 32-year-old victim, on board Brahmaputra Mail for Delhil, was dragged to the mango orchard and gang-raped by unidentified persons after she alighted from the train between Vikramshila and Kahalgaon stations. She was strangled and her body was hanged. Police recovered the body on Sunday and sent it to the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College and Hospital Bhagalpur for postmortem.The victim hails from New Jalpaiguri in West Bengal and boarded the train from Alipore to Delhi with her son.

“As the train was jampacked, she tried to get down at Sahibganj but was prevented from doing so by co-passengers” said, ASP, Bhagalpur, Meenu Kumari. “When the train slowed down between Vikramshila and Kahalgaon stations, she jumped out. A group of intoxicated people then dragged her to a nearby mango orchard and sexually assaulted her. Liquor bottles were found at the spot” he added. However some of the Brahmaputra mail passengers allege that the perpetrators pulled the chain to stop the train and forced her out of her compartment.
A railway ticket and cell phone number of her village pradhan written on a piece of paper was recovered from the victim's possession.

The incident came to light just a day after a 29-year-old woman was reportedly gang-raped by a group of men in the north Indian state of Punjab. The victim was traveling to her village in Gurdaspur district, 280 miles from Delhi, on Friday night. Per details, the bus driver refused to stop at her village despite her repeated pleas and instead drove her; the only passenger on the bus, to a remote farmhouse where he and the bus conductor along with four accomplices raped her. Gurdaspur Police Deputy Superintendent Gurmej Singh told sources that all of the perpetrators had been arrested and cases had been lodged against them.

The Delhi rape set off a fierce debate about attitudes towards women in India, where per official statistics; a woman is raped every 20 minutes. Since the rape of a medical student in Delhi, dozens of incidents of sexual violence against women which were not reported before are being given space on Indian media. Newspapers reported the case of a 16-year-old schoolgirl in Sonipat, Haryana, who was badly injured when she attempted suicide by setting herself on fire after being raped.

Seema Mustafa, a writer on social issues who heads the Delhi-based Centre for Policy Analysis k, said that in the past police had not "dealt with the issue severely. The message that goes out is that the punishment doesn't match the crime. Criminals think they can get away it".

In her first published comments, the mother of Delhi rape victim on Sunday said that “all six rapists of my daughter, including one believed to be a juvenile, deserve to die”.
She was quoted by The Times of India newspaper saying that her daughter told her that the youngest suspect had participated in the most brutal aspects of the rape.

There have been loud calls for a change in Indian laws so that juveniles committing heinous crimes can face the death penalty. The elderly, male-dominated Indian government has been heavily criticised for its slow and insensitive progress on the.

Moreover, on Thursday a 25-year-old woman jumped out of a moving train after allegedly being molested by a soldier. The train was en route from Darjeeling to Delhi. Per details, the soldier groped her after she came out of the lavatory. After pushing him back, the woman jumped from the Brahmaputra Mail line train. The mother of two is being treated in hospital in the city of Patna.

Indo-Asian News Agency reported that “her condition continues to be critical. A team of doctors is treating her. She has suffered injuries to her head and legs. The member of the Assam Rifles paramilitary force has been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.”

Four raped in India in broad daylight | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom