What's new

Netherlands votes to ban weapons exports to Saudi Arabia

Not sure about defence but they produce ''HEINEKEN'' for you.

Lol They do have some defence companies who produce major weapons systems like Stork who is involved in Aerospace building Wing Flaps, Royal Schelde group who is involved in
building LCF frigates,Air-defence frigates, Destroyers, and Submarines etc. :D

Saudi Arabia already imposed sanction on this European country in 2014,
We really don't give a damn about these racists ...the only thing I'll miss is their cows' milks.

Dutch rushing envoy to KSA over anti-Islam spat

"
The Dutch government is sending an envoy to Riyadh this week for high-level talks after the Kingdom slapped indirect sanctions on the European country because a far-right Dutch politician had insulted Islam and Saudi Arabia.
Maurice Pourchez, first secretary for economic and cultural affairs at the Netherlands Embassy in Riyadh, said that Dutch Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans had told the country’s official television outlet that he would send the executive director for political affairs to the Kingdom.
“Timmermans has also expressed his desire to visit Saudi Arabia shortly to strengthen relations,” the official said.
Pourchez emphasized the growing economic relations between the two countries. Trade between Saudi Arabia and the Netherlands stands at 6 billion euros (about SR31 billion) with Saudi exports to the country reaching nearly SR20 billion.
“We have not received any official information about Saudi Arabia’s decision to slash trade ties,” Pourchez said, adding that his country would launch all-out efforts to improve relations. “The incident took place about four months ago,” the official said about lawmaker Geert Wilders who printed stickers insulting the Saudi flag and Islam."

Sure, the 150 seat House of Representatives aka parliament of the Netherlands, filled through elections using a party-list proportional representation, decides to call for an arms boycot and you point the the single member of parliament that is the populist far right guy. So what if his party holds 10% of the seats? He doesn't have allies and can't make a majority. So what he does is mouth off in the press. Create a fuss. To get attention. Like Trump. Idiots fall for that.
House of Representatives (Netherlands) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The parliamentary majority is 75 votes or more.

Most Dutch political parties have a right to state support, which is based on both the amount of seats in the Parliament and the number of party members. PVV declares that since it is against state subsidies, it rejects its own party to be financially supported by the government and believes the tax payer should not pay for political parties they don't support. To finance the activities of the PVV, the party relies on private donations. As the party does not disclose its finances, it is unknown who are financing the PVV. According to Hero Brinkman, the most prominent member to leave the party, the PVV gets most of its finances from certain foreign (American) lobby-groups
Party for Freedom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice try at diversion. Not working though.

Not sure about defence but they produce ''HEINEKEN'' for you.
Incidentally, while a great export product, it is considered a mediocre beer in the Netherlands .....
5a04798d7326d8f5000a4bb967d4b052.jpg

Soldier-in-Heineken-Gas-mask-62245.jpg

Last edited:
What are you on about dude?

Facts. Something people like you would have a hard time comprehending.
Without Arabs European world powers like France , Germany and Britain will become irrelevant??

:rofl::rofl::lol::lol:

"European world powers?"

Are you still living in 18th century?

Saudi Arabia alone holds more influence in the global system than any European "world" power. Saudis can single-handedly fluctuate global energy markets---thereby changing the entire underpinning of global system and effecting the pockets of literally every consumer on Earth. What European economy can do that? Oh, Italians won't give us their sport cars----oh the horror!

Moreover, Saudis have much, much more influence "outside their borders" than any European nation.

Europe is primarily an economic bloc now---and countries like Germany are big players no doubt. But what influence they have beyond their borders? Minimal (Unless, offcourse, the big daddy U.S comes into the picture :usflag:)

WHAT PRODUCTS,GOODS AND SERVICES DOES THE ARAB OR MUSLIM WORLD PRODUCE THAT IS COMPETITIVE GLOBALLY??

Umm...everything. :azn:

Islamic World has an economy of about ~16-17 trillion in current U.S dollars based on purchasing power. You think all of this comes from air? :lol:

Muslim World produces everything on its own bar few ultra high-tech products (such as turbofan engines, silicone chips for computers etc).

Agricultural products, crops, textiles, clothes, shoes, furniture, construction materials, chemicals, cars, buses, noodles (lol), ships, tankers, machinery tools, smart phones, televisions, satellites, power plants, and pretty much everything that is needed to sustain and enhance a modern 21st century civilization is produced by Muslim World by itself (bar few products, as I stated).

Moreover, modern economy is about services and less of production. Have you seen global airline rankings? Brands from Islamic World like Emirates, Turkish Airlines, Qatar Airways just dominate the lists. Then you have construction firms. Some of the largest construction firms in International market come from Muslim World. Google biggest airport construction companies in the world. Companies like TAV (Turkish construction firm) would be in top 3 for sure.

The trade volume within Islamic World is larger than total trade volume between Europe-China...and Muslim World isn't even an economic bloc like EU or utterly export oriented economy like China was in recent decades :azn:

Moreover, the total debt stock of Muslim World as a whole is just 26% of GDP....while European nations already have over 100% debt-to-GDP ratio. Which means that there is still immense potential for huge growth within the economies of global Islamic World---while Europe can't go much further (thanks to debt, dying demographics and all).

Average Muslim earns about $12,000 (Middle-class) in terms of purchasing power while average European earns $33,000 (rich). But average European is 40 years+ while average Muslim is 23.

I'll rather be a young, middle-class 23 years old and have a hopeful future than being a rich 40 years+ on path to death (Europe is a dying continent--with its population decreasing instead of increasing).

Europe, no doubt, has it better than Muslim World. But its not black-and-white as many uneducated idiots believe (not referring to you particularly). Reality of the world is much more nuanced. Muslim World isn't some backwater subsaharan African lands. As an aggregate..Muslim World is a "middle-class/middle-income" world that is integrated in the global economic and trade networks and is growing above world average for the most part.

Seriously mate, do you even know what you are talking about?

Yes. But you don't.

Somebody that believes Europeans are just "milking" Saudi Arabia while Saudis are just stupid and don't know their interests--and just giving free money to Europe is nothing but clueless (much like you are). Having said that, Saudis could get better ToT deals--which they don't.I don't know why. I have heavily criticized Saudis/Arabs for their lack of better ToT deals. They should learn from Turks--who ended up getting ToT and production facilities for even F-16s :lol:

May be for Saudis the product itself is not the main goal. Goal is to have good relationships and influence with Western world--and multi billion dollar deals get you the relationship and influence when you are the buyer. I dont know

Last edited:
It is their loss. Besides we don't need tiny Netherlands for anything and I don't recall KSA ever buying any military hardware from them.

Extremely hypocritical behavior considering the fact this is coming from a country which actively participated in the illegal invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. Wars that killed many, many more civilians. We are talking different galaxies here.

Besides KSA has never targeted civilians in Yemen deliberately. It is not KSA's fault that the Houthi's and the Yemeni army loyal to Saleh have a habit of using civilians as human shields in densely populated areas. Such tactics are usually used by outnumbered guerrilla and terrorist groups against a conventional army but here we are talking about Houthi's and the Yemeni army (an actual army which was and is well-equipped) loyal to Saleh whose numbers outnumber the Arab coalition many, many times. Despite this the Arab coalition controls around 85% of Yemen and it has also embarked on the difficult mission of creating a new Yemeni army from scratch.

People who are interested in authentic news should not read sensational Western reports. They have very little idea about what is going on. KSA knows Yemen better than anyone else. Reddit's topic about the Yemeni conflict is arguably better than anything I have seen from established Western media. I won't even start discussing what kind of "news" that emerge from the Iranian media and their friends. Laughable is the word here.

My cousin, who is a combat medic just retuned from the front and it is nothing like what has been reported by certain media.

Anyway this news must be some sick joke as irrelevant as it is for us.

Last edited:
@Penguin
-
@mike2000 is back @Taygibay @Blue Marlin

I doubt France and UK would ban weapon exports to Saudi Arabia as they are to our nations one of our major clients and thus losing billions of €/£ and most probably thousands of jobs could be threatened.

So money is more important than human lives, as long as they are not French of course?

As always, almost everybody here is talking about completely irrelevant stuff about who produces what or money and nobody cares one bit about human lives, absolutely unbelievable! You guys all belong in a mental institution; the world is in this state because there are far too many people like you in this world. People who worship power and money. Disgusting.

It is their loss. Besides we don't need tiny Netherlands for anything and I don't recall KSA ever buying any military hardware from them.

Extremely hypocritical behavior considering the fact this is coming from a country which actively participated in the illegal invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. Wars that killed many, many more civilians. We are talking different galaxies here.

Besides KSA has never targeted civilians in Yemen deliberately. It is not KSA's fault that the Houthi's and the Yemeni army loyal to Saleh have a habit of using civilians as human shields in densely populated areas. Such tactics are usually used by outnumbered guerrilla and terrorist groups against a conventional army but here we are talking about Houthi's and the Yemeni army (an actual army which was and is well-equipped) loyal to Saleh whose numbers outnumber the Arab coalition many, many times.

Anyway this news must be some sick joke as irrelevant as it is for us.

Welcome to the forum buddy.

Why don't you open an introduction thread and tell us more about yourself? :)

Have a great time here. :cheers:

Saudi under tremendous international pressure to scale down its air strike , due to high civilian casualty and soon Suadi will have to listen West, otherwise US and EU planning arm embargo on Saudis.

Welcome to the forum buddy.

Why don't you open an introduction thread and tell us more about yourself? :)

Have a great time here. :cheers:

Thank you for the welcome.

@Penguin

Just out of pure curiosity, as you appear to be from the Netherlands, will your parliament after this decision be consistent and ban weapons exports to your Western allies since they have killed many, many (we are talking different galaxies here) civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan than the Saudi Arabian army has killed civilians in its entire history? Or how about your relations on this front with countries such as Israel, Iran, China and basically 100's of other countries?

Also I find it very funny that one of your main reasons for this decision was KSA's execution of 47 convicted terrorists in January who are described as "political opponents". I never knew that Al-Qaeda, ISIS, Shia terrorists and murderers are considered"political" opponents in your country. I wonder if you dare to make similar statements whenever China, USA or other countries execute criminals and terrorists? We all know that such statements will never occur.

Saudi under tremendous international pressure to scale down its air strike , due to high civilian casualty and soon Suadi will have to listen West, otherwise US and EU planning arm embargo on Saudis.

No such thing will ever happen and even if it did in a parallel universe there are many other alternatives such as China, Russia etc. Besides in the not so distant future Saudi Arabia, the GCC, the Arab and Muslim world will make considerable gains on their own and end up developing competent indigenous arms industries. It's just a question of time. We have a bright future ahead of us and a vibrant and well-educated youth who will shape the country in the upcoming decades. We live in a rapidly changing world that is only going to change quicker for each year that passes.

Last edited:
Facts. Something people like you would have a hard time comprehending.

:rofl::rofl::lol::lol:

"European world powers?"

Are you still living in 18th century?

Saudi Arabia alone holds more influence in the global system than any European "world" power. Saudis can single-handedly fluctuate global energy markets---thereby changing the entire underpinning of global system and effecting the pockets of literally every consumer on Earth. What European economy can do that? Oh, Italians won't give us their sport cars----oh the horror!

Moreover, Saudis have much, much more influence "outside their borders" than any European nation.

Europe is primarily an economic bloc now---and countries like Germany are big players no doubt. But what influence they have beyond their borders? Minimal (Unless, offcourse, the big daddy U.S comes into the picture :usflag:)

Umm...everything. :azn:

Islamic World has an economy of about ~16-17 trillion in current U.S dollars based on purchasing power. You think all of this comes from air? :lol:

Muslim World produces everything on its own bar few ultra high-tech products (such as turbofan engines, silicone chips for computers etc).

Agricultural products, crops, textiles, clothes, shoes, furniture, construction materials, chemicals, cars, buses, noodles (lol), ships, tankers, machinery tools, smart phones, televisions, satellites, power plants, and pretty much everything that is needed to sustain and enhance a modern 21st century civilization is produced by Muslim World by itself (bar few products, as I stated).

Moreover, modern economy is about services and less of production. Have you seen global airline rankings? Brands from Islamic World like Emirates, Turkish Airlines, Qatar Airways just dominate the lists. Then you have construction firms. Some of the largest construction firms in International market come from Muslim World. Google biggest airport construction companies in the world. Companies like TAV (Turkish construction firm) would be in top 3 for sure.

The trade volume within Islamic World is larger than total trade volume between Europe-China...and Muslim World isn't even an economic bloc like EU or utterly export oriented economy like China was in recent decades :azn:

Moreover, the total debt stock of Muslim World as a whole is just 26% of GDP....while European nations already have over 100% debt-to-GDP ratio. Which means that there is still immense potential for huge growth within the economies of global Islamic World---while Europe can't go much further (thanks to debt, dying demographics and all).

Average Muslim earns about $12,000 (Middle-class) in terms of purchasing power while average European earns $33,000 (rich). But average European is 40 years+ while average Muslim is 23.

I'll rather be a young, middle-class 23 years old and have a hopeful future than being a rich 40 years+ on path to death (Europe is a dying continent--with its population decreasing instead of increasing).

Europe, no doubt, has it better than Muslim World. But its not black-and-white as many uneducated idiots believe (not referring to you particularly). Reality of the world is much more nuanced. Muslim World isn't some backwater subsaharan African lands. As an aggregate..Muslim World is a "middle-class/middle-income" world that is integrated in the global economic and trade networks and is growing above world average for the most part.

Yes. But you don't.

Somebody that believes Europeans are just "milking" Saudi Arabia while Saudis are just stupid and don't know their interests--and just giving free money to Europe is nothing but clueless (much like you are). Having said that, Saudis could get better ToT deals--which they don't.I don't know why. I have heavily criticized Saudis/Arabs for their lack of better ToT deals. They should learn from Turks--who ended up getting ToT and production facilities for even F-16s :lol:

May be for Saudis the product itself is not the main goal. Goal is to have good relationships and influence with Western world--and multi billion dollar deals get you the relationship and influence when you are the buyer. I dont know

Nobody said we are milking Saudi Arabia, umuslims or Arabs. Well I never said such a thing did I? Someone else here did say that somehow(it's more because they got carried away by the article). Contrary to what some people think, I don't believe selling arms to another country is 'milking' them. Since even China(the worlds 3rd largest weapon importer) imports arms from Russia worth billlions every year. I believe its just a normal business deal and supply/demand trade. Some people might say otherwise because they dont fully understand the nature of such deals/relations, but not me. So that's it about that.

As for your other point, of course many oil/gas rich Arab and muslim countries have alot of cash reserves, simply because they rely on selling their oil and gas to the developed world/China. Outside of oil and gas projects and a few specific infrastructure projects far less REAL economic development has happened in the oil-rich parts of the Arab and muslim world than would be expected based on their great endowment of human and natural resources. :undecided:
If oil, gas and their natural resources were to dissapear/run out today then these countries will have nothing much/productive to show for.:agree:

As I said no here several times on heree one of the only country in the region/muslim world who is an exception is Turkey. since even without having any natural resources they are still quite productive and still among the G-20. Plus its still one the only country, which is REALLY secular even when majority of population is Muslim.
Meanwhile for most Arab/muslim countries, it's all consumption of energy wealth, not evidence of other productive economic activity. You should know that there is a huge qualitative difference between an economy built on natural resource extraction, where the populace is a cost center, and an economy built on productive labor by the population, where increasing capabilities of the society leads to more wealth. Turkey at least falls under thr later while majority of Arab/muslin countries fall under the former.
I'm not saying that natural resource endowment hasn't helped some countries, but natural resource economies in the absence of local value creation don't tend to lead to well developed societies.:agree:

I dont have anything against Arab/muslim world though, not trying to belittle them, just statung facts. :meeting:

Nobody said we are milking Saudi Arabia, umuslims or Arabs. Well I never said such a thing did I? Someone else here did say that somehow(it's more because they got carried away by the article). Contrary to what some people think, I don't believe selling arms to another country is 'milking' them. Since even China(the worlds 3rd largest weapon importer) imports arms from Russia worth billlions every year. I believe its just a normal business deal and supply/demand trade. Some people might say otherwise because they dont fully understand the nature of such deals/relations, but not me. So that's it about that.

Fair enough.

I dont have anything against Arab/muslim world though, not trying to belittle them, just statung facts. :meeting:

Your conceptions about Muslim World aren't accurate (as I have shown above in my detailed post). I'll show you again here in snipets...

As for your other point, of course many oil/gas rich Arab and muslim countries have alot of cash reserves, simply because they rely on selling their oil and gas to the developed world/China. Outside of oil and gas projects and a few specific infrastructure projects far less REAL economic development has happened in the oil-rich parts of the Arab and muslim world than would be expected based on their great endowment of human and natural resources. :undecided:
If oil, gas and their natural resources were to dissapear/run out today then these countries will have nothing much/productive to show for.:agree:

You are only talking about GCC (Gulf Arab countries)---so don't say "Muslim World"...Islamic World is vast, and has immensely diversified economy.

Even within GCC, not all countries are same. Oil and gas sector account a mere 25% of UAE's total GDP. So 75% of UAE's total GDP (which is second largest after KSA) comes from oil/gas sector.

You are confusing "GDP" (total economic strength) with "budget" of the government. In Saudi Arabia,,,for example,,, Oil/gas sectors account much, much less of total GDP but they account a whooping 90% of all budget of the kingdom. Now do you why that is? Because Saudis don't tax their population at all...and also give huge subsidies. Therefore, average Saudi lives a much, much better life than average European. If oil runs out--Saudis will just tax their non-oil sectors and collect revenues for governmental functions.

Yes, Saudi Arabia is dependent on oil--but not to the extent that you might believe. You see my point here?

Saudis/Emiratis etc are building some of the biggest infrastructural projects, univerisities, largest trading ports, and entire financial cities---That's "real" economic development. Although I agree--there is still a longgggg way to go.

As I said no here several times on heree one of the only country in the region/muslim world who is an exception is Turkey. since even without having any natural resources they are still quite productive and still among the G-20. Plus its still one the only country, which is REALLY secular even when majority of population is Muslim.

Malaysia's high-tech exports were larger than even UK's in 2013 (the last data on high-tech exports available from World Bank). Malaysia, a Muslim country, exported $60 billion worth of high-tech products. And these are just "exports"--Their industry produced way more high-tech products overall.

So no, your notion that only Turkey is "productive" Muslim nation is wrong. Islamic World's economy is massive in size and scope...but yes, it is not as developed as say Western economies.

As I stated previous, Muslim World is a "middle-class/middle-income" world and not "rich" like Europe or U.S.

I'm not saying that natural resource endowment hasn't helped some countries, but natural resource economies in the absence of local value creation don't tend to lead to well developed societies.:agree:

Agreed.

Mikey, don't feed the trolls, please!

Have a scone and tea and go to work. Tay.

@Penguin

Just out of pure curiosity, as you appear to be from the Netherlands, will your parliament after this decision be consistent and ban weapons exports to your Western allies since they have killed many, many (we are talking different galaxies here) civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan than the Saudi Arabian army has killed civilians in its entire history? Or how about your relations on this front with countries such as Israel, Iran, China and basically 100's of other countries?

Also I find it very funny that one of your main reasons for this decision was KSA's execution of 47 convicted terrorists in January who are described as "political opponents". I never knew that Al-Qaeda, ISIS, Shia terrorists and murderers are considered"political" opponents in your country. I wonder if you dare to make similar statements whenever China, USA or other countries execute criminals and terrorists? We all know that such statements will never occur.
Which Western Allies that we export to are you talking about, specifically? You can use post #12 as a starting point.

As for relations with Israel, Iran and China and others, the Dutch government deals with them in their own way (see an example further down below). Obviously we don't sell weapons to Isreal, Iran and China. You do know the difference between foreign policy and arms export policy?

As regards the reasons, see the wording of the parliamentary motion below. I don't see mentioned anything that you claim is mentioned.

Why am I personally expected to predict, explain or defend the decisions of the Dutch parliament, as if I made a decision to ban weapons sales by Dutch to Saudi Arabia, or as if I said I or suggested I was (or was not) in favor of that. I do not appreciate how you attempt to stick this to my person. If you are curious, I suggest you go and see what the text of the parliamentary decision actually is, go and see which parties votes how on the issue of the ban and then do your own analysis. Likewise for Dutch foreign policy in general.

Write a letter to the Dutch Parliament.

Presented March 8, 2016

The House of Representatives,

having heard the deliberations,

whereas Saudi Arabia commits in Yemen cluster deployment and serious war crimes, including as described in the UN reports and human rights organizations;

calls on the government, as long as Saudi Arabia continues to be in violation of the law of war in Yemen, a national license stop for the export and transit of military equipment to Saudi Arabia and to advocate at EU level for the adoption of this policy ,

and proceeds to the order of the day.

Jasper van Dijk

Sjoerdsma

Presented March 8, 2016

noting that Saudi Arabia is guilty of violations of international humanitarian law in Yemen, including as described in the report of the UN Panel of Experts on Yemen of 22 January, .;

noting that the human rights situation continues to be poor in Saudi Arabia that recently the number of executions has risen sharply and the situation of human rights defenders remains extremely worrying;

whereas the European Common Position (EUGS) on arms exports contains clear criteria which prohibit arms exports as a risk of human rights abuses (Criterion 2), disturbing peace and security in the region (criterion 4) and a lack of respect for international law ( criterion 6);

whereas the European Parliament on 25 February, adopted a resolution calling on the High Representative Mogherini calls to launch an initiative to establish a European arms embargo against Saudi Arabia.;

calls on the government, according to the EU criteria to fully implement the arms export policy and therefore as long as there remains the risk that can be deployed military and dual-usegoederen for violations of human rights and humanitarian law, no licenses for these goods approve to Saudi Arabia;

Calls on the government also, in line with the initiative note «Weapons and Principles" expressed ambitions for a harmonized European arms export policy, call on other Member States and to encourage to the same strict scrutiny of the EU criteria for arms exports to Saudi Arabia,

Servaes

On DUAL USE items to Israel:

As part of the same package as the above, the government is called upon as follows:

22 054 Arms Export Policy
Nr. 272 MOTION FOR A MEMBER OF JASPER DIKE

Presented March 8, 2016

whereas the Israeli government expects that any violence means only being implemented in accordance with international law;

whereas from the Netherlands service dogs are used by the Israeli army in violation of international law;

calls on the Government to ensure the service dogs from the Netherlands no longer be used by the Israeli army in violation of international law,

Jasper van Dijk

22 054 Arms Export Policy
Nr. 268 LETTER FROM THE MINISTER FOR FOREIGN TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION

To the President of the House of Representatives

The Hague, February 9, 2016

During question time on 27 October, the member suggested Hachchi (Proceedings II 2015/16, No 16, item 4 Question:. Questions Hachchi) the supply of Dutch dogs to the army of Israel raised. I promised that the House will be discussed with the company refers concerned about social responsibility and that any export measures with EU Member States. This House received on January 13, 2016 report (22 054, no. 267). I also undertook to examine whether national legislation based on the EU's dual-use regulation is possible. With this letter I inform you of this final commitment.

juridical

Trade measures are among the EU's exclusive competence. The Dual-use Regulation provides for the possibility for Member States to adopt national trade measures against goods that are not on the checklists thereto. The Legal Service of the European Commission was consulted, in particular on whether service dogs that are used to fall under the supervision of military personnel under the Dual-use Regulation.

The legal opinion of the European Commission states that service dogs are civil in nature, even if they are accompanied by soldiers. Earlier known as consultation with European partners showed that a majority of Member States does not consider the use of dogs as military purposes within the meaning of the Dual-use Regulation. It is settled case law of the European Court of Justice ruled that provisions allowing national action in derogation of the common commercial policy should be limited explained. Therefore service dogs are not within the exception in the Dual-use Regulation, which authorizes Member States to adopt national trade measures.

exist individual EU regulations for trade measures against repression and foltermiddelen. For example, water cannons, stun guns and some crippling gas, regardless of the user, even if military well qualified, but exports thereof may be controlled by sanctions regulations. This is the case with regard to Syria (Regulation 697/2013). In addition, there is a general anti-torture regulation providing for export controls on foltermiddelen. the House was previously informed about the revision of the Regulation (Parliamentary 21 212, no. 1842). This revision is now in the stage of the trialogue between the Council, Parliament and Commission. Unlike the Council, the European Parliament affirms its support of the inclusion of a catch-all provision in the regulation, which might possibly apply to the use of dogs.

To see whether dogs can be brought under export control, also have taken place with the Ministry of Economic Affairs on the scheme aggressive animals in 1993, mainly looked at the control of pit bull-like. This regulation was not enforceable and is therefore withdrawn in 2009. Designating varieties or describing "aggressive animals" has proved unworkable because appearance but limited offer guidance and crossings are difficult to define. Moreover, the same type of dog can be used for assistance and search and rescue work as police.

Conclusion

The government follows the advice of the European Commission that the dual-use regulation provides no legal basis for export restrictive measures in respect of service dogs.

The government remains concerned about the ongoing violence in Israel and the Palestinian territories. The government condemned the attacks on innocent civilians, and expects the authorities proportionally act against this violence. The government expects this that any violent means will only be used in accordance with international law, particularly the rules of occupation law and human rights. This assessment is closely related to the assessment of the security situation on the ground. It is tripped company mentioned in the media on his social responsibility and give follow-up to that.

The government also stresses the need for Israel to make credible investigation into their own action to make sure this really happened in all cases, to visualize the outcomes and needed to be taken. The current context of ongoing violence leads to closely follow the situation and critical.

The Minister for Foreign Trade and Development, E.M.J. Ploumen

If you are interested, see what other questions were asked/answered during this particular arms export discussion in the Dutch parliament.

Wapenexportbeleid; Lijst van vragen en antwoorden; Lijst van vragen en antwoorden over aanbieding rapport 'Het Nederlandse wapenexportbeleid in 2014'

On a different note (going from [arms] trade to foreign policy > different minister)

32 735 Human Rights in foreign policy
Nr. 150 LETTER FROM THE MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

To the President of the House of Representatives

The Hague, March 16, 2016

I would like to present you with the response to the request of the Permanent Committee on Foreign Affairs on March 15, 2016 on a request from the member Sjoerdsma a supplementary letter of Saudi Arabia comprising the Minister of Defence during Question 1 December jl. promised answers (Proceedings II 2015/16, no. 31, item 4).

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, A.G. Koenders
Situation of people condemned to death and summon the Saudi ambassador

In December 2015 there were reports in Saudi media about planned executions in Saudi Arabia. On January 2, 2016 was the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Saudi Arabia announced that 47 people who were convicted of terrorism were executed. The executions affected 43 Sunnis who were allied according to Saudi Arabia to Al Qaeda, and mainly convicted of fatalities attacks in Saudi Arabia during the period 2003/2004. In addition, four Shiites were executed. They were convicted of substantially lighter offenses, based on the stricter terrorism legislation that criticized the monarchy and inciting states to criminalize protest. Among them was the Shia cleric Nimr al-Nimr. According to the Saudi authorities were also the four Shia responsible for violence in which people were killed.

The government regrets this very mass execution. Netherlands remains in all cases against the death penalty, and this also contributes internationally, together with EU partners. The fact that Saudi Arabia has carried out executions of a number of persons who admittedly was involved in inciting militant protests, but also seem to have no direct involvement in specific acts of terrorism with fatalities, in addition to the mass executions, another worrying development from the viewpoint of respect for human rights, as well as from the interest to stem the growing sectarianism in the region. The government is concerned about the violation of the Saudi diplomatic missions in Iran in response to the killings and subsequent further escalation of tensions in the region. The region is also the wider international community to play a de-escalating role.

Partly on the insistence of the Netherlands, the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy issued a statement and is co-commissioned by its EU counterparts in contact with interested parties in an effort to de-escalation. Netherlands supports her in this and is also in contact with other countries on other possibilities for de-escalation. The Netherlands, also known as EU president, supported the statement by the EU High Representative. That statement suggests that the EU rejects the death penalty in all cases, and that the EU especially n.a.v. the specific case of Nimr al-Nimr has serious concerns about freedom of expression and respect for basic freedoms in the field of civil and political rights. These should always be monitored in the context of the fight against terrorism. It also has the rights ambassador stressed during his visit to Saudi Arabia.

Earlier, the Netherlands several times at the Saudi authorities expressed concern about the reports of the imminent executions in both conversations of the ambassador in Riyadh and in contact with the embassy of Saudi Arabia in The Hague. Also regularly with the Saudi authorities discuss individual cases, including the case of Nimr al-Nimr. The EU and other countries on this subject have been in contact with Saudi Arabia. Although the ambassador of Saudi Arabia in the Netherlands itself recently has not been summoned to the ministry, the diplomatic contacts with the embassy of Saudi Arabia are intensively used to worry about living in the Netherlands. The government is very disappointed that our concerns and discussions about it have not led to another penalty provision.

Questions by the member Ten Broeke (VVD) to the Minister of Foreign Affairs about the execution of 47 people by Saudi Arabia (submitted January 4, 2016). + Answer by Minister Koenders (Foreign Affairs) (Received January 25, 2016).

Question 1

Are you familiar with the message "Saudi Arabia executes 47 people"? 1

Answer 1

Yes.

Question 2

How do you assess this mass execution by Saudi Arabia? Is it true that this is the biggest execution by Saudi Arabia since 1980? What consequences can associate with that, whether at European level?

Answer 2

The government regrets the 47 executions that have taken place strongly Saturday, January 2nd, 2016. Since 1980 Saudi Arabia has not so many people were executed at once. Partly as EU president Netherlands has directly called for an EU statement which the mass execution convicted.

Netherlands remains in all cases against the death penalty and this also contributes internationally. Saudi Arabia is not only done executions of people convicted of terrorist attacks, but also four Shiite people. They had been involved in inciting militant protests, but look no further involvement to have had with specific acts of terrorism. This is in addition to the mass executions another worrying development from the viewpoint of respect for human rights, as well as from the interest to stem the growing sectarianism in the region.

Question 3

What actions Netherlands undertakes specifically in the position of current member of the UN Human Rights Council in response to this mass execution? Netherlands has in this context made representations to the government of Saudi Arabia? Like an explanation.

Answer 3

Combating the death penalty is one of the priorities of the Dutch human rights policy. In this context asks UK for a continuous attention to and speaking countries controlled by a worrisome human rights situation in both Attn the general situation and on individual cases. The Netherlands will continue to do so in the coming sessions of the Human Rights Council and in cooperation with UN special rapporteurs.

Question 4

How do you reconcile the execution of the role of the Saudi Faisal Trad, the Saudi ambassador to the UN in Geneva, as head of the UN Human Rights Council? How has responded to this event by the UN and has thereby established a link Trad's role Faisal? If not, why not?

Answer 4

The Secretary-General of the United Nations (UNSG) has strongly condemned the mass execution and called for the preservation of peace. The Secretary-General also met with both the Saudi and Iranian Foreign Ministers. The High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid al Hussein has strongly condemned the executions in Saudi Arabia. Ambassador Faisal Trad, as stated in answer to a previous Parliamentary questions (submitted on September 23, 2015 with reference 2015Z17148), not named as chairman of the Human Rights Council, but from its regional group appointed chairman of an advisory human rights council.

Question 5

How do you assess in particular the execution of the Shia cleric, Nimr al-Nimr, since they have been associated with protests against the Saudi government but never called for violence? Do you consider it unlikely that a Shia cleric has something to do with Al-Qaeda linked terrorism, which have been accused many of the other executed? Like an explanation.

Answer 5

Prominent Shiite spiritual leader Nimr al-Nimr was arrested in 2012 and charged during his arrest include armed resistance and subsequently convicted under the 2014 tightened terrorism legislation. The specific case of Nimr al-Nimr raises many questions about the broad interpretation of terrorism under the Terrorism law in Saudi Arabia. The evidence in the case of al-Nimr are not made public. Nimr al Nimr was not associated with the Saudi authorities to al-Qaeda affiliated terror.

Question 6 and 7

How do you assess the risks of further escalation in the region, particularly between Saudi Arabia and Iran, now Iran has reacted angrily to the execution of the Shiite leader al-Nimr Nimr2 and this has led to protests in Bahrain? What will the Netherlands in European and UN level to contain this escalation? Like an explanation.

The negative effects of this development according to you for the Netherlands and Europe strategic issues in the region such as the fight against ISIS in Syria and Iraq and the increasing tensions between Sunnis and Shiites? What can the Netherlands, whether at European level do to mitigate these negative effects?

Answer 6 and 7

The relationship between Saudi Arabia and Iran are partly due to the mass execution also come under pressure. This has, among other things expressed in the storming of the Saudi embassy and the breaking of diplomatic relations. The government is concerned about these developments and their impact on the situation in the region. In a separate letter to the Second Chamber is here given further interpretation and analysis about.

These developments are cause for the international community to call on both sides to de-escalation, to reduce tensions and restore the dialogue. The High Representative is in contact with both sides in an attempt to de-escalation. The government supports any effort aimed at de-escalation, and will continue to advocate at EU level here. It is important that the EU is not a party chooses in the conflict between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Question 8

Do you agree that these killings are part of a broader, undesirable development with cautious democratic reforms partly reversed by Saudi Arabia? How do you in this regard such as the new terrorism law, which is significantly different from draft legislation from 2011 and making according to Amnesty International violation of human rights by terrorism so broad definition that it is possible to pursue very broad and selective under this law? What can you see Netherlands to inhibit this undesirable trend or reversal?

Answer 8

Saudi Arabia has a policy of cautious and gradual social reforms. The 2014 tightened terrorism legislation does not contribute positively to the desired reforms, because fundamental freedoms restricted by certain statements and inciting opposition also qualify as terrorism for which the death penalty can be imposed. At EU level and bilaterally Netherlands has therefore last year responded to this legislation. The government will continue to carry out the constitutional principles that the Dutch law relies on. Netherlands advocates a greater role for the EU in this field. Netherlands will examine how the EU can shape a dialogue with Saudi Arabia. A consultation between the EU and Saudi Arabia belong as regards the government of the possibilities.
actions

Questions from the members Van Bommel (SP) and Sjoerdsma (D66) to the Minister of Foreign Affairs of executions in Saudi Arabia (submitted January 4, 2016). + Answer by Minister Koenders (Foreign Affairs) (Received January 25, 2016).
Question 1

Do you see the message "Mass executions in Saudi Arabia»? 1

Answer 1

Yes.

Question 2

Is it true that convicted the 47 executed all because of «terrorism»?

Answer 2

Yes, all are condemned under the tightened terrorism law for terrorism.

Question 3

Is it true that the prominent Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr Baqr who was executed, not for terrorism was arrested in 2012, but for other reasons? 2. If not, what are the facts?

Answer 3

There are few facts known about the arrest of prominent Shiite spiritual leader Nimr al-Nimr. Reportedly he was arrested in 2012 and charged with armed resistance during his arrest and subsequently convicted under the 2014 tightened terrorism legislation.

Question 4

Was there, in your opinion question of due process that ultimately led to this mass execution? Has there been talk of independent observation, in whatever form, of justice?

Answer 4

The government follows developments in human rights very closely. The embassy in Riyadh and other international partners have only limited insight into the judicial process. Processes have taken place over a period of years, even well before the time that foreign observers were allowed to attend hearings. The impression is that the judicial process with regard to the group of 43 Sunnis is made in accordance with local law. The convicts have gone through all stages of legal action. Saudi authorities indicate that this also applies to the four Shia convicts. However, this is impossible to independently determine, because, as far as known, never evidence made public in these matters.

Question 5, 6 and 7

What have you done since the oral questions on December 1, 2015 on a bilateral basis to make your concerns to Saudi Arabia expressed about the high number of death sentences pronounced?

Are you willing to bilaterally to express your concerns about the high number of death sentences put into effect? If not, why not?

Are you prepared to ask the High Representative of the EU for Foreign Policy Mogherini to express its concern about the high number of executions in Saudi Arabia? If not, why not?

Answer questions 5, 6 and 7

Netherlands's principled position against the death penalty and there will always speak, even in Saudi Arabia. Both through political channels and through the embassy have repeatedly expressed concern about human rights and the death penalty. Earlier, the Netherlands several times at the Saudi authorities expressed concern following reports about the imminent mass execution imminent. Also regularly with the Saudi authorities discuss individual cases, including the case of Nimr al-Nimr. The EU and other countries on this subject have been in contact with Saudi Arabia.

The government regrets very much the 47 executions that have taken place in Saudi Arabia. The Netherlands has insisted directly within the EU in a statement by the High Representative to condemn the executions. The statement of the HR was underlined by the Netherlands, also from our role as EU president. As indicated during the budget debate, the Dutch Human Rights Ambassador will soon travel to Saudi Arabia. The recent developments will hereby be discussed with Saudi interlocutors. Netherlands will continue to advocate in the EU for coordinated efforts with regard to the death penalty throughout the world.

than ban oil exports to netherland :bunny:

but I dont think SA would ever do that..

than ban oil exports to netherland :bunny:

but I dont think SA would ever do that..
Nor would it matter.

Where we got our oil in 2000 and where we got it 2010.
Our reliance on Saudi oil dropped from about 12-13% to about 4%.
Russia largest oil supplier for the Netherlands

The political unrest in the Middle East and North Africa does not pose a threat to our oil imports. This is a completely different situation to that in the early 1970s, when the Netherlands was almost totally dependent on Arabian oil. Our oil now comes from a broad range of countries: from Norway to Iran, from Russia to Nigeria (see Figure 1). The geographical spread of its oil suppliers makes the Netherlands less vulnerable for incidental disruptions in the oil supply from a specific country. The supply of oil from the Middle East and North Africa mainly comes from countries where there is presently no political unrest.
Unrest in Middle East has little influence on Dutch trade - De Nederlandsche Bank

e3345g1.gif

Back
Top Bottom