What's new

Nehru sought US assistance during 1962 Indo-China war Nehru sought

What a tradgy! I thought Indian military is invincible.
Not when they are fighting with bolt action rifle without winter clothing against fully equipped soldiers armed with TYPE 56.Fast forward to sikkim in 1967 it was a different story.

What's wrong in that comment??Nehru's actions (along with that of Menon) were directly behind the steady erosion of moral from the rank and file of the Indian Army,which resulted into the erosion of the unit cohesion of the formations,which in turn ultimately led to the 1962 debacle,which was totally avoidable if the likes of John Dalvi and Sam Manekshaw are to be believed.So I ask you again,what's so much offensive or factually incorrect that you find in his comment??

You don't find an approving reference to the killing of Gandhi offensive? You don't find a suggestion that Nehru should have been killed offensive?

I do. Hugely offensive.

I guess the OP 's second question is had US helped at Nehru's request, India would have been in US camp 50 years earlier instead in USSR's camp, therefore, India could be a total different state of affair today. By the way, Amur conflict between USSR and China happened in 1969, so it was not a factor at that time. USSR was just too busy with the missiles crisis.

Thanks!

Yes, you are right, actual fighting broke out in 1969, but the differences between the Chinese leadership and the Soviet leadership were already visible in Khruschev's time. It is also true that, coincidentally, not as a matter of Chinese pre-planning, the missile crisis broke out at exactly that time, but the missile crisis kept both the USSR and the USA busy, so it doesn't explain why Nehru wrote to one and not the other.

Regarding the possible landing up in the US camp, it might have been a possibility if the Chinese leadership had not suddenly declared a unilateral ceasefire, and withdrawn its soldiers and returned PoWs, as well as captured equipment, shortly thereafter. That left nothing much to be done by the Indian leadership except to face the consequences of its own actions. It was then too busy fighting for survival to think of realignment.

What a tradgy! I thought Indian military is invincible.

Indian army was not prepared to fight the battle hardened PLA, they bet their "Forward Policy" on China's no action. They lost, and they were prepared to give up the entire NE. Nehru even farewelled to people of Assam in radio. To be honest, China won the battle but lost the war.

Indian army was not prepared to fight the battle hardened PLA, they bet their "Forward Policy" on China's no action. They lost, and they were prepared to give up the entire NE. Nehru even farewelled to people of Assam in radio. To be honest, China won the battle but lost the war.

Why do you say that?

Yes, you are right, actual fighting broke out in 1969, but the differences between the Chinese leadership and the Soviet leadership were already visible in Khruschev's time. It is also true that, coincidentally, not as a matter of Chinese pre-planning, the missile crisis broke out at exactly that time, but the missile crisis kept both the USSR and the USA busy, so it doesn't explain why Nehru wrote to one and not the other.

Regarding the possible landing up in the US camp, it might have been a possibility if the Chinese leadership had not suddenly declared a unilateral ceasefire, and withdrawn its soldiers and returned PoWs, as well as captured equipment, shortly thereafter. That left nothing much to be done by the Indian leadership except to face the consequences of its own actions. It was then too busy fighting for survival to think of realignment.

This has been in many Chinese mind since 1962 til today. Mao shock the world with the unilateral ceasefire, ad it marked the first in history the victor of the war did not benefit from the victory. Chinese Gov doesn't talk about 1962, and we have no way knowing what was in Mao's mind at that time. We guess Mao was just going to teach Nehru a lesson but did not really want to break up with India, considering the difficult situation China was facing at that time. What is your take on this?

@Joe Shearer
sir
several historians believe that NAM was a nehruvian utopia that was a flawed belief that it was possible in years after world war 2, to remain isolated from power game between capitalist and communist blocks.
how do you see the fact that pandit nehru first asked for US help and subsequently India moved to cozy with USSR was nothing but ditching NAM theory.

Bolo Nehru ji ki jay for that!!

No one is invincible,not even your mighty PLA!!
Chinese lost the war finally,the indian defend the territory at least, but chinese has to retreat and lost their military goal.Once again the chinese show their weekness and failure.I wonder why indian didnt try to go futher to Tibet and liberate the Tibetnese who as slaves for the chinese?Indian should respond for the darkness suffering of Tibetnese till now!!

Chinese lost the war finally,the indian defend the territory at least, but chinese has to retreat and lost their military goal.Once again the chinese show their weekness and failure.I wonder why indian didnt try to go futher to Tibet and liberate the Tibetnese who as slaves for the chinese?Indian should respond for the darkness suffering of Tibetnese till now!!

Rather a pathetic and albeit disappointing attempt at trolling!!Next time try harder kid.

This has been in many Chinese mind since 1962 til today. Mao shock the world with the unilateral ceasefire, ad it marked the first in history the victor of the war did not benefit from the victory. Chinese Gov doesn't talk about 1962, and we have no way knowing what was in Mao's mind at that time. We guess Mao was just going to teach Nehru a lesson but did not really want to break up with India, considering the difficult situation China was facing at that time. What is your take on this?

First, China really had no stakes in territorial acquisition. Whatever the official Chinese line during negotiations now, the situation on the ground then was that, on the western side, there was only barren rock and a directionless wilderness which we now call Aksai Chin. The only trade routes were between western Tibet, and the autonomous principalities there, and parts of the kingdom of Ladakh. This was the path taken by a Dogra general, Zorawar Singh, when he attacked Tibet in the 1840s.

On the eastern side, Tawang was a dependent monastery, I think of Shigatse, I forget, I am writing all this without notes, and its farming territories with it. So the corner of Arunachal Pradesh abutting on Bhutan and TAR was definitely Tibetan. The rest emphatically was not. It was populated by ungoverned tribals who led their own lives, occasionally raiding the plainsmen for loot or for protection

This being the case, the major reason for China's attack appears to have been to teach Nehru a lesson, and, through him, India a lesson.

Once these were achieved, there was no reason to hang around, no reason to spend precious moneu on winter camps, patrols and transportation, face increasing criticism, wait for the threat of the Indians to come back, etc.

You don't find an approving reference to the killing of Gandhi offensive? You don't find a suggestion that Nehru should have been killed offensive?

I do. Hugely offensive.

Not at all,he was just one pathetic soul for crying out loud.And if the nation could have been benefited from his assassination,then I wouldn't have any problem with that,let alone taking it as 'hugely offensive'!!In fact, let me stick my neck out here to tell you that I would have even set the muzzle at his temple and pulled the trigger myself,without even blinking for once.................if I was to be sure that this deed would benefit the whole nation in the longer run.

Back
Top Bottom