What's new

Nawaz Sharif demands independent probe into Osama bin Laden debacle

OBL case: Commision is based on

• Commission should be based on current Army generals.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • comission should be based on Judiciary

• Commission should be based on retired Army generals.

• Cmmision should be based on retired generals and retired justices

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

mikkix

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan's main opposition leader Nawaz Sharif today demanded that the government should form a judicial commission within three days to ascertain how al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden was able to hide in the country.

Dismissing Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani's announcement of a probe by the army's Adjutant General as inadequate, Sharif said the proposed judicial commission should also probe whether there was any tacit agreement permitting operations by US forces in Pakistani territory.

The former premier said the commission should "determine the nature and causes of failures of the civil and military authorities" in all matters related to Laden's presence in the country and the US raid that killed him in the garrison city of Abbottabad on May 2.

The commission should fix responsibility for and propose actions against persons responsible for the said failures compromising the dignity, self-respect and sovereignty of Pakistan," he said.

Sharif said he had written to Gilani seeking the formation of the judicial commission to be headed by Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry.

He demanded that the panel should be told to complete its probe within 21 days and to submit a report to parliament.

"Such a probe by an independent and unbiased panel is necessary in view of the extremely serious crisis facing Pakistan and intense sense of insecurity and despondency among people as a result of the US operation", he said.

Sharif said Pakistanis should stand up as honourable people and stop "begging" for foreign aid as this was destroying the country.

"This is my strong belief that if this country had been on a democratic track there would not have been any gun running here, nor would there be terrorism, extremism and poverty," he said.

Sharif's demand came against the backdrop of mounting criticism of Gilani's government at home and abroad for failing to detect the presence of the al Qaeda chief even though he was hiding in a compound located a stone's throw distance from the elite Pakistan Military Academy in
Abbottabad, which is home to thousands of soldiers.

The Pakistan People's Party-led government and the powerful military have also been criticised by the public for failing to prevent the perceived violation of Pakistan's sovereignty by the US raid.

The operation fuelled anti-American sentiments that are already at a peak due to the US drone strikes in Pakistan's tribal belt.

Pakistan's civil and military leadership have said they were not informed in advance about the US military operation that killed Laden.

Gilani dismissed as "absurd" allegations that the military and intelligence set-up had failed to detect the al Qaeda chief due to its complicity or incompetence.

However, US leaders like President Barack Obama have said Pakistan needs to probe the support network that sustained bin Laden.

Sharif called for introspection in the wake of the US raid, saying that if the judicial commission is not formed, it would show that the government is not aware of the seriousness of the matter and the feelings of people.

He noted that the current situation was more serious than the one prevailing during the 1971 war with India as Pakistan was "totally isolated".

He said, "Except for China, no one is backing us". The world was accusing Pakistan of giving refuge to and exporting terrorists and almost all terrorist incidents were traced back to the country, he said. "If we want answers to questions, we should stop fooling ourselves and whitewashing things," he added.

Nawaz Sharif demands independent probe into Osama bin Laden debacle - World - DNA

ONLINE - International News Network

Nawaz demands for Judicial Commission to probe into US operation against Osama

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Quaid Nawaz Sharif Wednesday termed the Abbottabad operation killing Osama bin Laden , as intelligence failure and demanded the government to constitute a judicial commission to investigate into the issue.

Briefing the media here at Punjab House after the meeting of party’s Central Organizing Committee (COC) Nawaz gave three days to the government to decide about the formation of judicial commission that would be headed by Chief Justice of Supreme Court. The judicial commission would be comprised of Chief Justice of Supreme Court and all the chief justices of five high courts of the country, Nawaz said adding that commission would be given a 21-day timeframe to complete investigation and make public the facts and findings.

He said the judicial commission would be independent and should have access to any record and authority to summon any one it wanted. After findings of the commission it would fix responsibility of the persons or authorities’ concerned, strict action should be taken against the responsible people and the final thing the commission would do is to give recommendation as how to control these sorts of incidents in future, he said.

Nawaz also rejected the investigation committee announced by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani under the chair of Lieutenant General Javed Iqbal to find out the facts of presence of Osama bin Laden in Pakistan and US operation in Pakistan territory without informing it to the authorities concerned. He said presence of Osama in Pakistan and US operation against him is failure of the intelligence agencies and many question marks raised on the agencies not only from within the country but from the international community as well.

He said if the judicial commission is not formulated in three days then his party would announce the next strategy which would not be lenient, he hinted. Nawaz said he was accused of being friendly opposition and that he provided hidden support to President to prolong his rule but he did this all for the welfare of the country and for strengthening of democracy. He said he never wanted to derail the democratic process at any cost but now his party would give tough time to the government. He said the government would not be serious with the people of Pakistan and have not realization about the worsening situation if it refuse to form the commission.

To a question he said he would not ask from any one including President, Prime Minister, Army Chief or DG ISI to step down but after the investigation of the judicial commission the responsible person should resign without saying. He said Pakistan is facing the worst ever situation in its history and the current scenario is even worse than the Fall of Dhaka. He said if at that time the nation did not stand united then get ready to face the death of dishonour.

Nawaz said he has no tension with Pakistan Army but he only wanted that each institution of the state should work in its own ambit. He said that the US attack on Pakistan soil killing Osama bin Laden was breach of sovereignty of an independent state but the President at the very same day through an article congratulated the America and Prime Minister also followed him and congratulated it. He said this behaviour from our rulers have demoralized the soldiers and army personnel.

He said that over 180 million people of Pakistan are bewildered and have no exact information that what happened and there is no one to tell them the truth. Every information is coming the US media not from Pakistan; therefore the government instead of in-camera briefing should have held an open briefing so that the people also should know the reality. He said he was friend of Pakistan and would take every step in favour of the country.

He said no one would be allowed to use Pakistani soil for terrorism and extremism. He added that there is no place for terrorism in the country.

The world is raising fingers on Pakistan after the incident; PML-N leader said and added that armed forces have not given satisfactory answer.

Raymond Davis issue also showed that our matters are in the hands of spy agencies. Still the nation did not know that the blood money (Dayyat) come from where, Nawaz questioned.

He said if there is failure of intelligence then it means our defence system has become so weak. He said that Pakistan has been isolated after this incident and the whole world is pointing out fingers on it. This is a time to review our policies and introspect first rather seeking others faults, he said adding all the institution should be serious now. He said now any one could threaten Pakistan and even doing the same now despite being an atomic state, therefore, he said we should seriously think about it.

well done nawaz sharif this is the most sensible thing he has ever said I support him and his views

At last.. someone from "friendly" opposition spoke sensibly..

Yes he's using his brain for the first time good sign for Pakistan

I think commision should be comprising of retired army generals and justices plus two member ( 1government and 1 opposition) of parliament that will be chosen by the commitee that who will be the person.
independent probe makes this case neutral otherwise finger will be pointing towards everywhere whether military or civil govt.

Though I tend to support PPP in general, I have to say that Nawaz Sharif's clear stand on the supremacy of the civilians in Pakistan is most welcome.

My main problem with Nawaz Sharif and political party is that they are too Punjab-based, NS is personally a hothead, and that nepotism runs even deeper in PMLN than in PPP (about 20 NA/PA seats were contested by the Sharif clan in the 2008 elections). I also hope he has gotten over his 'Shariat Bill' mentality.

But...I am open to changing my views about PMLN and Nawaz Sharif.

OBL is really a headache for Pakistan and USA and rest of the world, even after he is dead too.

Hope this OBL craze and fiasco is finish soon and stop wasting money on him.

Nawaz and his CJP - clearly there is no one else in Pakistan with the model of ethics the CJP is a example of, and clearly the CJP and his Judges are just not busy enough, and clearly no one else can do the Justice that Nawaz's CJP can.

OBL is really a headache for Pakistan and USA and rest of the world, even after he is dead too.

Hope this OBL craze and fiasco is finish soon and stop wasting money on him.

It will die down as soon as Solid Proofs are provided by US regarding killing of OBL in that "mansion" in Abbottabad, Pakistan..

I think commision should be comprising of retired army generals and justices plus two member ( 1government and 1 opposition) of parliament that will be chosen by the commitee that who will be the person.
independent probe makes this case neutral otherwise finger will be pointing towards everywhere whether military or civil govt.

I think that would be a wrong move.. it would compromise the credibility of report.. but thats just me..

Nawaz shored has decided to do something good for once in his life let's support him

Nawaz shored has decided to do something good for once in his life let's support him

I think, at this moment, all Political parties should forget about individualism and unite for Pakistan's cause..

personally speaking i think present enquiry headed by Adjutant general of Pak army will be a eye wash. if pakistanis want to seriously find out facts then some representation from judiciary and civilian govt has to be there.

but will kayani agrre to this? sorry i dont think so.

i think "terms of reference" of a enquiry are most important. they should be drafted well and with clear aim as to wat is expected out of that enquiry.

Pakistan needs a revolution and all thieves including Nawaz Shareef needs to be tried for tax evasion. All politicians with their wealth stored in the West are lame ducks.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom