What's new

Nawaz Sharif approves lifting of ban on underage marriage

Not Sure

BANNED
Reaction score
Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif approves lifting of ban on underage marriage

Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has reportedly given his approval for the removal of the law banning underage marriage as well as the law regarding the second marriage of a man with the permission of his first wife.
Sharif's move comes two days after the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) decreed that laws on the minimum age of marriage were not in line with Islam and that children of any age can be married. This decree came at the end of the CII's 191st meeting in Islamabad.

CII chairman Maulana Muhammad Khan Sheerani observed that the laws related to marriage were unfair and that there cannot be any minimum age for marriage.

According to news reports, the council said the ban on child marriage does not hold ground and that children can get married at an early age. The bride can be bid to her husband's household for the consummation of their marriage once she reaches puberty, added the council.

In Pakistan, 15 is the 'age of maturity' for girls. The move comes in an apparent bid to radicalise Pakistani society. The CII, which comprises orthodox clerics from religious parties, has called for a consultative meeting with officials of the Ministry of Religious Affairs.
A day before this decree on underage marriages, the CII chairman had come under fire for his statement and decree that the laws regarding a man's second marriage with the permission of the first wife were against religious principles. "Sharia allows men to have more than one wife and we demand the government amend the law," he told the media after the meeting.

Subsequent reports suggested that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has given his approval for a legislation to declare the law against underage marriage and the law regarding the second marriage of a man in the presence of his first wife unconstitutional and against religious principles.

The decision has resulted in a huge uproar across all spheres, especially on social media. (Didn't see it on defence.pk)

-----------------------------------

It is my personal opinion, but not unfounded, that any kind of Saudi help during the tenure of Nawaz Sahrif will always come with strings attached. While many pro-Saudi Pakistanis here will be quick to note that there is no direct relation between the sudden increase in Saudi interest in Pakistan ($1.5 B + help for Syria) and the peculiarly timed acknowledgement (of the "un-Islamic" law) by the CII, the fact is that radicalization of the Pakistani society during Zia era was much more subtle.

But like I always say, "it's your country, you decide its fate".

PM Nawaz gives approval for removal of laws banning underage marriage, second marriage with wife’s permission

ISLAMABAD: A couple of days after the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) ruled against Pakistani law prohibiting marriage of underage children and the law regarding second marriage of a man with the permission of his first wife, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has given his approval for the removal of these laws, Indian media reported.

On Tuesday, at the end of its two-day session, the CII ruled that there is no minimum age of marriage according to Islam, adding that Pakistani laws prohibiting marriage of underage children are un-Islamic. However, the council said, the Rukhsati (consummation of marriage) is only allowed in the case that both husband and wife have reached puberty.

A day before the CII chairman Maulana Muhammad Khan Sheerani told reporters after the meeting of the council in Islamabad that the laws regarding second marriage of a man in the presence of first wife were against religious principles.

The Indian media citing reports said that the Pakistani prime minister has given his approval for a legislation to declare the law against underage marriage and the law regarding the second marriage of a man in the presence of his first wife unconstitutional and against religious principles.

In addition, according to the Indian media, the decision has resulted in a huge uproar across all spheres, especially on social media.

@chak de INDIA @Dem!god @Indischer @DRAY
our neighbors just
legalized child marriages. :)

@Aeronaut
pls edit the title :(

Last edited:
Why do our politicians behave like morons (remind me of Rajiv Gandh and Shabano case).

Somebody banned it in Pakistan and..... must be such a progressive and bold step and this ediot undid the good work....

Underage marriage harms the girls and future generations as the girl is less educated and wise......it also leads to population explosion .....let the girls enjoy parents company before they are burden with all the big responsibility..

2nd marriage means polygamy is allowed????

and child marriage is legalised.....is there a minimum age for that or kids will be getting married at the age of 5-6

i think the news is fake

CII was formed way before anything like TTP, if i'm not wrong :D
Arrey noo I meant i expected their premier to support the law prohibiting underage marriages.But he shocked me with his move...may be he just got forced.

chak de INDIA said:
I expect better from you :coffee:
I also have rights to troll noohhh?:ashamed:

2nd marriage means polygamy is allowed????

and child marriage is legalised.....is there a minimum age for that or kids will be getting married at the age of 5-6

i think the news is fake

take this proof also
Nawaz Sharif accords tacit approval to CII recommendation on underage marriage – The Express Tribune

how dare you doubt my source???:angry:

btw the catch is
" Islam does not prohibit underage marriage (Nikkah), but that the consummation of marriage is allowed only when both the husband and wife reach puberty."
So that is actually a child marriage.

Last edited:
Arrey noo I meant i expected their primer to support the law prohibiting underage marriages.But he shocked me with his move...may be he just got forced.

I also have rights to troll noohhh?:ashamed:

take this proof also
Nawaz Sharif accords tacit approval to CII recommendation on underage marriage – The Express Tribune

how dare you doubt my source???:angry:

btw the catch is
" Islam does not prohibit underage marriage (Nikkah), but that the consummation of marriage is allowed only when both the husband and wife reach puberty."
So that is actually a child marriage.
yeah i know that.......its like gauna in India................
btw.......polygamy is allowed in Pak??????

What's "under age"???
How do law makers decide one age for ALL cultural segments???

Who according to you should get to decide that?
Well versed members of that segment of society. One country can have variety of circumstances. One "age" decided by central government does NOT fit ALL.

Puberty must be the ultimate criteria. Other factors like "maturity", financial status requirements should be left for elders of family\community to decide.
If following could be of any help in understanding human nature:
Rate of pregnancies in 14 year old and younger in USA.
Sex encounters would be much more; this data is ONLY of reported pregnancies.

Under age ? Its not determined by culture ,human body and mind develops at a specific rate and time,science has explained it in detail.

So what does the science say on "the age" for marriage??? Give us the "details"?

Maturity - the first and foremost important attribute for a marriage - comes with age , there's no disputing that fact . Marriage isn't child's play , which well is now in Islamic Republic of Pakistan . What are you trying to prove by disputing the importance of aging with response to physical and psychological development in humans is beyond me .

We just have gone full retard , boys and girls ! Let there not be a shadow of doubt . Apparently the people's mind shut off , as soon they see the word " ISLAM " , the opiate of the masses , didn't a person once say ?...

You did not answer my question that you quoted? Also you used the generic rhetoric "maturity comes with age"... Of course it does, no one said the contrary. BUT you cannot assign one particular age to it. That's the whole debate.
Since we all have gone retard but you were spared by God's special blessing so tell us retards What age does "science" tell you is the age of maturity?

Read following link, your ideal country USA, the beacon of "science", permits marriage as early as 13... How can you set age at 18 in a culture, a country that lags behind USA big time...!!! And did you read the pregnency data above, for girls younger than 14 in USA??? HELOOOOO!!, they are having sex at that age & you want to put a ban on human nature with rhetoric of "maturity"... What do you know a girl-boy half your age is twice as mature as you are.

Last edited:
they are moving backwards........the liberals will be protesting for sure..............
Nawaz has gone mad :hitwall::hitwall:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom