What's new

Nawaz mediating between Taliban, Karzai

Cheetah786

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD, Oct 6: PML-N Quaid Nawaz Sharif is playing a key role in conjunction with Saudi Arabia in bringing about a negotiated settlement between the Taliban and the Karzai regime to pave the way for withdrawal of the US and Nato forces from Afghanistan.

“It was for this precise reason that the PML-N chief has put off his departure from Saudi Arabia to Pakistan for another two days,” an informed source told The News. According to his new programme, the PML-N chief will return home on Tuesday.

“Nawaz Sharif was invited by Saudi King Abdullah and he undertook the present visit to stay in Saudi Arabia for nearly two weeks to talk about the nitty-gritty of the peace process,” the source said.

The day the PML-N chief landed in Saudi Arabia, he had a 90-minute meeting with the Saudi monarch, the source said, adding different national and regional issues, particularly the ongoing wave of terrorist attacks in Pakistan and bloodshed in Afghanistan, were discussed in detail.

According to a US media report on Monday, secret peace talks have been held between the Afghan government and the Taliban in the Saudi Kingdom. Both sides agreed to resolve the Afghan issue through dialogue, it said.

While PML-N leaders, closely working with Nawaz Sharif, were aware of Nawaz Sharif’s objective behind his extended stay in Saudi Arabia, sources close to President Asif Zardari were oblivious of the PML-N chief’s “role” and “efforts” in bringing the warring sides on the negotiating table.

“Nawaz Sharif is serving as a bridge,” one political source said and added the PML-N chief is an “old hand” on Afghanistan. During his two stints as prime minister, Nawaz Sharif had developed good working relations with almost all the Afghan Mujahideen leaders, who were now largely irrelevant because of the fighting strength of the Taliban.

The source referred to the March 1993 Islamabad accord, which eight Afghan Mujahideen leaders had signed because of Nawaz Sharif’s efforts.Nawaz Sharif stayed just a few days in Pakistan after his return from Britain and then flew into Saudi Arabia. In London, British Foreign Secretary David Miliband had a meeting with him in which Nato forces’ operations in Afghanistan and constant failures to control the situation figured prominently.

Sources believed that the Saudi initiative in which Nawaz Sharif had his own role has the backing of Washington and London.A British general has been quoted as saying that the war in Afghanistan can’t be won. Additionally, there have been reports of willingness of Washington and London for holding talks with the Taliban, especially after the incapacitation of the Karzai regime.

One PPP leader close to President Zardari referred to a recent interview of NWFP Governor Owais Ghani, given to an American newspaper, in which he was quoted as saying that the United States should hold negotiations with Mullah Omar. He was surprised over the governor’s statement particularly when viewed in the context of Pakistan’s repeated assertions that Islamabad was unaware of the whereabouts of Mullah Omar.

It has been saying that had Pakistan known about his location it would have caught and brought him to justice. “It would look a bit odd for such an important governor to talk like this unless he has a lot of substance in his remarks,” the PPP leader said. He said he had conveyed the remarks of the governor to the right quarters. But he did not specify these circles and their reaction.
Welcome to The Pakistani Newspaper

Well well well i guess now its out in the open who is behind Talibans :rofl:

^^^mere speculation to prop up NS's fading fortunes!!!

ISLAMABAD (AFP) — Former Pakistani premier Nawaz Sharif is willing to broker talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban, his spokesman said Tuesday, amid reports that Sharif is already playing a key role.

The offer came after a Pakistani newspaper reported that Sharif, in conjunction with Saudi Arabia, is helping to seek a settlement between the hardline Taliban and the US-backed regime of President Hamid Karzai.

Pakistan backed the Taliban during Sharif's second spell in power from 1997 to 1999. He also has strong ties to Saudi Arabia, having spent seven years in exile there until his return to Pakistan last year.

Spokesman Siddiqul Farooq confirmed that Sharif had spent the last two weeks in Saudi Arabia for the Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr, but told AFP that he could not immediately comment on the report.

"But Nawaz Sharif is a credible leader of Pakistan and he has dealt with Taliban wisely during his government in the past. He would be more than happy to play a role in national and international peace," Farooq said.

"I cannot say whether he has established any contact with Taliban and the Afghan government with Saudi Arabia's blessings."

The Afghanistan government on Monday denied a US media report that a first round of negotiations took place in Saudi Arabia last month. Karzai has called for peace talks with the Taliban.

The Taliban were toppled in a US-led invasion after failing to hand over top leaders of Osama bin Laden's Al-Qaeda network in the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States.

Sharif won plaudits earlier this year for his leading role in opposing President Pervez Musharraf, who ousted him in 1999. Sharif pulled his party out of Pakistan's ruling coalition in August.

But his two periods in government during the 1990s were more controversial.

Under him, Pakistan was one of only three countries to recognise the Taliban, along with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Pakistani intelligence also provided support to the Taliban while he was in power.

He also sought to introduce Islamic Sharia law in the South Asian nation.

Why NS is dying hard to save Karzai and US from "potential defeat" in Afghanistan?

I wonder why he never spoke against TTP or ever helped in any kind of "peace deals" in FATA? Karzai seems to be much dearer to him.

Ths cud nothing more then a number game.
seems NS now trying to win favor of world powers to gain position in domestic politics, which is undermined & threatening by his ex- partner especially after Justice case.

If its so then he will become more offensive against govt; once he will assured by int'l powers....Well hope for the best.

Well I keep Pray for the peace in Afghanistan & in FATA

Many muslim fighters dont know that they are playing in enemy's Agencies Hand

Well Hope for the BEST ..
Inshallah Peace will come soon
Well done Nawaz Sharif

NS has been out of the limelight for sometime. This is his come back song?

Well I keep Pray for the peace in Afghanistan & in FATA

Many muslim fighters dont know that they are playing in enemy's Agencies Hand

Well Hope for the BEST ..
Inshallah Peace will come soon
Well done Nawaz Sharif

thanks except for the last line - a good prayer!

Oh and when Nawaz Sharif was so popular among the Taliban??

BTW Taliban had refuesd the offer of talks by US/CIA linking it with immediate withdrawal of NATO soldiers.
And after that Karzai also said he does not wish to offer talks to Taliban.

Joint session of parliament may not resolve issue of terrorism
Wednesday, October 08, 2008

LAHORE: PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif has said that though joint sitting of the Parliament might not offer any solution to the issue of terrorism, yet such sessions should be held regularly.

Speaking to media here on Wednesday, Nawaz Sharif said that terrorism has become a cancer and asked the people to start a joint struggle against the menace of terrorism.

PML-N chief said national policy should be devised to eliminate terrorism from the country. He termed the ongoing problem of terrorism as a gift from dictator’s eight years rule.

The former prime minister said judicial sanctity was violated instead of its restoration.

Later, Nawaz Sharif and Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif left for Islamabad to attend the joint session of Parliament. Meanwhile, security was put on high alert on this occasion.

QUOTE:

So ultimately NS (Please dont take it non-sense-its Mr. Nawas Sharif) found space to enter in such drastic issue as support to be restored in Public Politics:rofl:

Whole current political AA-------ZZ decietful stuff is NS****:P and should be treated as outdated to get fresh culture.

Last edited:
Joint session of parliament may not resolve issue of terrorism
Wednesday, October 08, 2008

LAHORE: PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif has said that though joint sitting of the Parliament might not offer any solution to the issue of terrorism, yet such sessions should be held regularly.

Speaking to media here on Wednesday, Nawaz Sharif said that terrorism has become a cancer and asked the people to start a joint struggle against the menace of terrorism.

PML-N chief said national policy should be devised to eliminate terrorism from the country. He termed the ongoing problem of terrorism as a gift from dictator’s eight years rule.

The former prime minister said judicial sanctity was violated instead of its restoration.

Later, Nawaz Sharif and Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif left for Islamabad to attend the joint session of Parliament. Meanwhile, security was put on high alert on this occasion.

QUOTE:

So ultimately NS (Please dont take it non-sense-its Mr. Nawas Sharif) found space to enter in such drastic issue as support to be restored in Public Politics:rofl:

Whole current political AA-------ZZ decietful stuff is NS****:P and should be treated as outdated to get fresh culture.

pKp - herein lies the problem - the people of pakistan have elected our leaders (sic) and they seem to be satisfied with their performance so far. the world is in a meltdown and we are in a quagmire. i didnt vote because of my own reasons (and i am sure many more didnt either) so, i have to grit my teeth and bear the consequences.

pKp - herein lies the problem - the people of pakistan have elected our leaders (sic) and they seem to be satisfied with their performance so far. the world is in a meltdown and we are in a quagmire. i didnt vote because of my own reasons (and i am sure many more didnt either) so, i have to grit my teeth and bear the consequences.

yeh me too. :frown: and tell you the people who have voted are now just cursing like anything.

But as they ab kia howat jab chirian jog gain khait now they have to tolerate the azab.
But as Quran as we are imposed with the kinds of rulers which we deserve.

Yes fatmen17 you have elaborated the exact situation, me too didn't find any single one to vote.
Though outcomes were expected, even then its painful when its really happen true as expected.
I request your good self & Jana jee to plz check the ill attitude of our elites who are supposed to have leadership but they even can't pose as leader, as exposed by author of artical in my other thread titled "Govt makes a fool of media, people " posted just few minutes ago.

Secret Saudi dinner, Karzai's brother and the Taliban

By Kim Sengupta
Wednesday, 8 October 2008

The Afghan government of President Hamid Karzai has been involved in secret negotiations with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, the former Mujaheddin leader now labelled a terrorist by the US and Britain.

The Independent has learned that extensive talks have taken place between President Karzai's representatives and the Hekmatyar group which has been responsible for a series of bloody attacks in Afghanistan.

The revelation, from senior diplomatic sources, comes alongside a report claiming that the President's brother, Qayum Karzai, attended a dinner in Saudi Arabia hosted by King Abdullah which was also attended by members of the Taliban insurgency and the former Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.

The Taliban's former ambassador to Pakistan, Abdul Salam Zaeef told the BBC that a delegation of 15 Afghans attended the formal religious dinner. The Saudis, once the chief financial backers of the Taliban, have offered to be the conduit of talks between Islamist militants and the Afghan government. Saudi and Afghan officials have denied, however, that any serious direct talks took place at the dinner meeting, maintaining that it was a religious and social occasion.

Wakil Ahmed Muttawakil, the former Taliban foreign minister who attended, said "There were no talks and no Taliban representative was there. It was an ordinary and normal meeting and dinner." News of the purported encounter between the Afghan government and Islamist militants comes amid warnings by American and British officials and senior military officers that a negotiated settlement between the warring parties is the only practical solution to the conflict.

The US defence secretary Robert Gates has criticised as "defeatist" comments by Brigadier Mark Carleton-Smith, the commander of British forces in Helmand, that a Western military victory was not possible.

But Mr Gates, who will ask America's European partners to send more troops to Afghanistan at a meeting of Nato defence ministers in Budapest tomorrow, has also acknowledged that talks needed to be held with Taliban leaders who were prepared to work with the Afghan government.

It is unclear whether the US would consider 61-year-old Hekmatyar, the man they designated a ‘global terrorist' and tried to kill in a missile strike, to be one of those who should be offered negotiations. As a Mujaheddin commander against the Russians the warlord received considerable support from the CIA and Pakistan's military regime.

In the civil war which followed the Russian withdrawl from the country, Hekmatyar continued to be backed by the Americans and the Pakistanis despite being blamed for atrocities such as the indiscriminate shelling of the capital Kabul which killed and maimed hundreds of civilians.

However Hekmatyar later fell out with the Americans and based himself in Iran from where he directed attacks by his Hezb-I-Islami fighters on Nato and government forces inside Afghanistan.

The Iranians eventually expelled Hekmatyar after pressure from the US and he is now believed to be stationed in tribal areas across the border in Pakistan.

According to diplomatic sources the Karzai government opened channels to Hekmatyar through members of his family who visited Kabul. Three months ago the warlord's son-in-law, Dr Ghairat Baheer, was released after spending six years in an Afghan prison and is said to be playing a part in ongoing negotiations.

Although his forces are engaged in fighting inside Afghanistan, Hekmatyar has remained independent from the Taliban and is said to be at odds with its religious leader Mullah Omar. Some of President Karzai's advisors believe that a truce, in which he will be rewarded by being given a government post, may encourage other militant leaders to consider negotiations.

There are also doubts on whether the Saudis are actually in a position to engineer a peace agreement. It is questionable how much influence they continue to have over the Taliban who no longer depend on official funding from the kingdom. Influential figures within the Saudi ruling establishment who are believed to be secretly funding Islamist movements are expected to continue doing so whatever the outcome of the negotiation process.

Back
Top Bottom