What's new

Nawaz has a face-to-face with generals who deposed him

Leader

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Monday shook hands with Gen (retd) Muhammad Aziz Khan, a key player of the October 12, 1999 coup that removed his elected government and sent him to jail.

Gen Aziz was especially invited by Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani in the desert of Khairpur Tamewali, Bahawalpur, to attend the culmination ceremony of Azm-e-Nau 4 military exercises.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif accompanying Gen Kayani entered the enclosure to witness the exercise and saw Gen Aziz on his left hand side of the seat along Gen (retd) Abdul Waheed Kakar, former Chief of the Army Staff who was sitting next to the prime minister’s seat on the same side.

The prime minister initially ignored to go towards the two retired generals as Kakar also had a role in ousting him along with the then president Ishaq Khan in 1993.However, Gen Kayani informed the prime minister of the guests sitting on the left hand side. Then prime minister went straight to ex-COAS Kakar and shook hands with him warmly and inquired about his health. Then prime minister with an expressionless face loosely gave his hand to Gen (R) M Aziz Khan who was waiting for him.

Nawaz Sharif did not utter a word to him and then returned to the right hand side of his seat and shook hands with other guests and later sat down along with Gen Kayani to witness the exercise.

After the exercise General (R) Aziz went straight to the place where lunch for guests was arranged. Here, too, his seat was allotted at the same table which was shared by prime minister Nawaz Sharif and COAS Kayani. Besides them Interior Minister Ch Nisar Ali Khan, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar, PM’s Adviser on National Security Sartaj Aziz, Corps Commander Multan Lt Gen Abid Pervez, ex-Vice Chief of Army Staff Gen M Yousaf were also sitting on the same table.

“I don’t want to comment on any of my past deeds,” said Gen Aziz Khan when this correspondent confronted him with the question soon after he sat on the table for lunch. When asked if he was regretful to support ex-military dictator General (R) Pervez Musharraf, the retired general again refused to answer the question.

When his attention was drawn towards the book authored by Gen (R) Shahid Aziz’s memoirs in which he was named a key player of October 12, 1999 military coup, he said that everyone had the right to write whatever he wanted.

The retired general rose to public notice in year 1998 when he was made Chief of General Staff by the then Chief of Army Staff General Pervez Musharraf. Soon after his appointment the Kargil war with India started, when the then prime minister Nawaz Sharif was engaged in peace talks with the then Indian prime minister Vajpayee.

Later Nawaz Sharif was sent to jail after a bloodless military coup in which four generals had played a key role among them were Gen (R) Muhammad Aziz Khan, Gen (R) Mehmood Ahmad, Gen (R) Shahid Aziz and Lt Gen (R) Ali Mohammad Jan Orakzai and their leader the then Army Chief Gen Pervez Musharraf who had ordered for the coup almost weeks before October 12, 1999.

Later in the event prime minister Nawaz Sharif along with COAS Kayani and others had a lunch and discussion however no one including Kayani spoke a word with the ex-general who was looking like a stranger.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-Ne...-a-face-to-face-with-generals-who-deposed-him

shame on military protocol management for inviting such disgraceful retired generals to the occasion... 
p.s. IMO had Nawaz Sharif been a brave person, he would have thrown out disgraceful generals out of the ceremony, but still he maintain a good gesture, shoke hands with such generals who are a disgrace not only to their families but also to the nation !

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Monday shook hands with Gen (retd) Muhammad Aziz Khan, a key player of the October 12, 1999 coup that removed his elected government and sent him to jail.

Gen Aziz was especially invited by Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani in the desert of Khairpur Tamewali, Bahawalpur, to attend the culmination ceremony of Azm-e-Nau 4 military exercises.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif accompanying Gen Kayani entered the enclosure to witness the exercise and saw Gen Aziz on his left hand side of the seat along Gen (retd) Abdul Waheed Kakar, former Chief of the Army Staff who was sitting next to the prime minister’s seat on the same side.

The prime minister initially ignored to go towards the two retired generals as Kakar also had a role in ousting him along with the then president Ishaq Khan in 1993.However, Gen Kayani informed the prime minister of the guests sitting on the left hand side. Then prime minister went straight to ex-COAS Kakar and shook hands with him warmly and inquired about his health. Then prime minister with an expressionless face loosely gave his hand to Gen (R) M Aziz Khan who was waiting for him.

Nawaz Sharif did not utter a word to him and then returned to the right hand side of his seat and shook hands with other guests and later sat down along with Gen Kayani to witness the exercise.

After the exercise General (R) Aziz went straight to the place where lunch for guests was arranged. Here, too, his seat was allotted at the same table which was shared by prime minister Nawaz Sharif and COAS Kayani. Besides them Interior Minister Ch Nisar Ali Khan, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar, PM’s Adviser on National Security Sartaj Aziz, Corps Commander Multan Lt Gen Abid Pervez, ex-Vice Chief of Army Staff Gen M Yousaf were also sitting on the same table.

“I don’t want to comment on any of my past deeds,” said Gen Aziz Khan when this correspondent confronted him with the question soon after he sat on the table for lunch. When asked if he was regretful to support ex-military dictator General (R) Pervez Musharraf, the retired general again refused to answer the question.

When his attention was drawn towards the book authored by Gen (R) Shahid Aziz’s memoirs in which he was named a key player of October 12, 1999 military coup, he said that everyone had the right to write whatever he wanted.

The retired general rose to public notice in year 1998 when he was made Chief of General Staff by the then Chief of Army Staff General Pervez Musharraf. Soon after his appointment the Kargil war with India started, when the then prime minister Nawaz Sharif was engaged in peace talks with the then Indian prime minister Vajpayee.

Later Nawaz Sharif was sent to jail after a bloodless military coup in which four generals had played a key role among them were Gen (R) Muhammad Aziz Khan, Gen (R) Mehmood Ahmad, Gen (R) Shahid Aziz and Lt Gen (R) Ali Mohammad Jan Orakzai and their leader the then Army Chief Gen Pervez Musharraf who had ordered for the coup almost weeks before October 12, 1999.

Later in the event prime minister Nawaz Sharif along with COAS Kayani and others had a lunch and discussion however no one including Kayani spoke a word with the ex-general who was looking like a stranger.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-Ne...-a-face-to-face-with-generals-who-deposed-him

shame on military protocol management for inviting such disgraceful retired generals to the occasion... 
p.s. IMO had Nawaz Sharif been a brave person, he would have thrown out disgraceful generals out of the ceremony, but still he maintain a good gesture, shoke hands with such generals who are a disgrace not only to their families but also to the nation !
Quite a sensational title to the post, my first thought was that Indian media goons have found something else.

Military has always discouraged individualism for obvious reasons (i.e. maintain strong chain of command). If you would have remembered, some commando units were also subjected to court-martial when the refused to take part in Lal-Masjid operation. Similarly, despite having strong objections to Musharraf over kargil, many generals maintained silence.

Quite a sensational title to the post, my first thought was that Indian media goons have found something else.

Military has always discouraged individualism for obvious reasons (i.e. maintain strong chain of command). If you would have remembered, some commando units were also subjected to court-martial when the refused to take part in Lal-Masjid operation. Similarly, despite having strong objections to Musharraf over kargil, many generals maintained silence.

This is obvious that they were trying to play Nawaz into a nerve game, even brought back general kakar from his grave, just to occupy Nawaz's head and probably achieve some desired objective.

I know this for a fact that there is a strong frustration in army right now against Nawaz, mentally they are not willing to accept him as their boss.... this is just one display...

:what: why it is a new even?

I mean being a PM he has to follow formalities

:what: why it is a new even?

I mean being a PM he has to follow formalities

In all the retired Generals, they found disgraceful generals like Kakar and Aziz to be seated next to our Prime minister and even dine next to him?

why o why, its been thrown under the carpet as following formalities ?

In all the retired Generals, they found disgraceful generals like Kakar and Aziz to be seated next to our Prime minister and even dine next to him?

why o why, its been thrown under the carpet as following formalities ?
disgracefull against NOORA?
i mean what a comedy ?
who was he to genrl jilani, & to genrl ZIA?
all those gentlemens , were thier in thier uniforms when the kid, noora been made a noora?
& now with billions of loooted money, croupt to teeth, still disscused a gracefull ganja?
what sold out media, it is really?

I know this for a fact that there is a strong frustration in army right now against Nawaz, mentally they are not willing to accept him as their boss.... this is just one display...
Perhaps that's why COAS himself drove to helipad to receive him? 
i mean what a comedy ?
all those gentlemens , were thier in thier uniforms when the kid, noora been made a noora?
& now with billions of loooted money, croupt to teeth, still disscused a gracefull ganja?
I was about to tag you in the post but then I said to myself that bait is already in place, trolls will find their way. And I wasn't wrong :)

Perhaps that's why COAS himself drove to helipad to receive him? 

I was about to tag you in the post but then I said to myself that bait is already in place, trolls will find their way. And I wasn't wrong :)

perfect recipe for a shock, its called khaba vikha kay saja marna, and thats exactly what happened with nawaz !

p.s. by the way nawaz was taken for a ride, and it wasnt pretty either, if you have brains to see beneath the surface.

i mean what a comedy ?

lol... you wrote a rap song here... :lol:

perfect recipe for a shock, its called khaba vikha kay saja marna, and thats exactly what happened with nawaz !
And perhaps the three prospective COAS were also there with him on the table. That's also the part of the hypocritical plan right? :)

Few thoughts ..

The PM's protocol& Intel would have known who all would be there ..one presumes.

What is the relevance of a retired officer in a military exercise ?

Few thoughts ..

The PM's protocol& Intel would have known who all would be there ..one presumes.

What is the relevance of a retired officer in a military exercise ?

Yes, he should have known, but as the report suggests, he was surprised,especially the seat arrangement.

Indian high commissioner was also invited.

the purpose of inviting retired generals is probably the demand of the occasion. 
And so the conspiracy theory reaches its logical end......:)

typical response of inferior species.. hush !

typical response of inferior species.. hush !
That's a strong statement for somebody who drives mehran and doesn't even have money to fuel his car properly...:)

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom